• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Harry Potter Perpetuates Rape Culture

If we had Robo-Bimbos, as portrayed in the Movie AI, we'd never need have another case of Rape, ever.

Though somehow, I don't think a majority of women would NOT be happy about it, even though it would end Rape.

-

Feminist (Social Justice Whiner), so that means the complaint is bull**** then.

Next.

If we had Robo-Bimbos, as portrayed in the Movie AI, we'd never need have another case of Rape, ever.

Though somehow, I don't think a majority of women would NOT be happy about it, even though it would end Rape.

-

Yes, we could adopt a system where men and women are kept totally separate except under carefully structured situations. We could have supervised dates (chaperones!), separate dorms in college, courtships monitored by the parents or guardians, and intimacy between couples encouraged through controlled and protected situations like bundling boards and the like. Naturally, young women and men would not be allowed outside the house to just run around and do as they like.

It would totally eliminate intimate partner rape as well as most other rape, but feminists jump ugly if you suggest this. It's like they don't want the problem solved at all.

And to think Bill Cosby wasn't even in the cast, much less playing Harry Potter himself. Of course, one's a real rapist and the other is fantasy, but let's not quibble over trivialities...

Or at least so one writer of Feminist Internet says. A couple of story lines use Love Potions, which is "glaringly problematic", she huffs.

But then everything is problematic.

I have never read "Bustle" nor have I ever heard of it. Apparently the National Review thinks its very important so cons can get themselves in a self righteous tantrum. I bet more cons have read this article than liberals. As I hear from cons all the time, a single opinion by one certainly doesn't represent everyone. Much to do about nothing. I love science fiction and Harry Potter is quite mild in terms of subject mater. I'm sure I can find plenty of commentary where cons are offended by various passages and subjects but I'm not going to waste my time.

I have never read "Bustle" nor have I ever heard of it. Apparently the National Review thinks its very important so cons can get themselves in a self righteous tantrum. I bet more cons have read this article than liberals. As I hear from cons all the time, a single opinion by one certainly doesn't represent everyone. Much to do about nothing. I love science fiction and Harry Potter is quite mild in terms of subject mater. I'm sure I can find plenty of commentary where cons are offended by various passages and subjects but I'm not going to waste my time.

Liberals seem to be unable to write of conservatives without misrepresenting them. But I'll just return the favor and say that libs soil their pants about every little thing, especially about an opinion they don't like. It's just the opinion of one guy, myself, so now they can go have a self righteous tantrum over it.

Liberals seem to be unable to write of conservatives without misrepresenting them. But I'll just return the favor and say that libs soil their pants about every little thing, especially about an opinion they don't like. It's just the opinion of one guy, myself, so now they can go have a self righteous tantrum over it.

:spin::spin::spin: That's all you have.:failpail: Its a good thing cons don't misrepresent libs. :doh

:roll:

One writer says something stupid; National Review writes an article on it; all liberals are now having a "tantrum."

Yet another garbage LowDown thread.

-

Not true.. rape is not about sex.. its about dominance and fear...

-

...no, it wouldn't end rape.

Liberals seem to be unable to write of conservatives without misrepresenting them.

BAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man. And, what, all your right wing bloggers are fairly portraying liberals eh?

Emma Watson does not need a Love Potion.

Emma-Watson-Pics-sayou-30461563-570-761.jpg

Harry Potter: The story that thinks rape is a suitable punishment for bad government officials.

Or at least so one writer of Feminist Internet says. A couple of story lines use Love Potions, which is "glaringly problematic", she huffs.

But then everything is problematic.

I think the bigger problem with Harry Potter is the complete lack of any government regulation of the education system. If reading those books taught me anything it's that children are safer in a barrio high school in East LA then at Hogwarts seriously how many students at Hogwarts die in the course of the series?

It also taught me that gun control is bad, seriously Voldemort wouldn't be alive to kill Harry's parents if he had tried entering houses after dark where I grew up...

Now is there any other political messages we can read into a series of fantasy novels?

Reading the original article (a wild idea I know), I think it makes a couple of valid points and does so in a fairly calm and casual manner. It’s not screaming out for book banning or legal action, just a recognition of the message certain plot lines could (inadvertently you’d hope) could put across.

I think it’s undeniable that the “love potions” as depicted in Harry Potter books (and many other works of fiction) are really no better than date-rape drugs and if they’re used in that manner by characters presented as heroes or victims without any challenge or question (be it by other characters, the author or readers), it could support a subconscious impression that kind of thing is acceptable. I think the fact the targets of the potions (intended and actual) in both cases are male is a relevant point too and if anything an anti-feminist one. Had the genders been reversed, I’m not convinced it would be accepted (or written) in the same unquestioning manner.

From a journalism point of view, I don’t see much difference between the National Review article moaning about the Bustle article and the Bustle article moaning about depictions of love potions. They’re both really examples of finding something minor to complain about, padding it out in to a full article and sticking an eye-catching headline on it. The main difference is the National Review’s obvious irony.

:roll:

One writer says something stupid; National Review writes an article on it; all liberals are now having a "tantrum."

Yet another garbage LowDown thread.

Yet another garbage Kobie post.

BAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh man. And, what, all your right wing bloggers are fairly portraying liberals eh?

Yes, of course.

Back
Top Bottom