• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Harris: Obama knew of Blagojevich plot

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A top aide to former Gov. Rod Blagojevich said he believed Barack Obama knew of Blagojevich's plot to win himself a presidential Cabinet post in exchange for appointing Valerie Jarrett to the U.S. Senate.

John Harris, Blagojevich's former chief of staff, testified Wednesday in the former governor's corruption trial that three days after the Nov. 4, 2008, presidential election, the ex-governor told Harris he felt confident Obama knew he wanted to swap perks.

"The president understands that the governor would be willing to make the appointment of Valerie Jarrett as long as he gets what he's asked for. . . . The governor gets the Cabinet appointment he's asked for," Harris said, explaining a recorded call.

Harris said Blagojevich came away believing Obama knew what he wanted after having a conversation with a local union representative, who in turn spoke with labor leader Tom Balanoff, with whom Blagojevich met to discuss a Jarrett appointment. Jarrett, now a White House adviser, was seeking the appointment to Obama's Senate seat.

Harris: Obama knew of Blagojevich plot :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Gov. Blagojevich

What did he know, and when did he know it? Time for a Special Prosecutor to look into the Obama Corruption.

Go for it, get the special prosecutor in! Jump all over what a top aide to Blagojevich said... which is the entire basis for the argument... not like he would want to shift the blame away from Blagojevich or anything, you know implicate someone else so it doesn't look as bad on Blago?

See the problem is, especially when you post a story like this, is, it's not about justice or anything, you just want an excuse to nail him. And I'm not talking about Bush to shift away from Obama, but how is it still, that a president could take you to war on false pretenses in Iraq, that cost the lives of over 4000 American soldiers... and yet you don't wanna investigate THAT!?

Now if Obama did something wrong let's nail him, I'm merely trying to point out the imbalance.

... how is it a problem if the President knew of his intentions? I mean, it's not like anybody actually agreed to the man's demands. He got arrested. I guess I'm just not seeing what Obama should have done differently.

Harris: Obama knew of Blagojevich plot

The president understands that the governor would be willing to make the appointment of Valerie Jarrett as long as he gets what he's asked for. . . . The governor gets the Cabinet appointment he's asked for," Harris said, explaining a recorded call.

Harris said Blagojevich came away believing Obama knew what he wanted after having a conversation with a local union representative, who in turn spoke with labor leader Tom Balanoff, with whom Blagojevich met to discuss a Jarrett appointment. Jarrett, now a White House adviser, was seeking the appointment to Obama's Senate seat.

So if it comes out that Mr. Obama did indeed know, what affect do you think it would have on him if any at all?

:lol: I duped....

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...75593-harris-obama-knew-blagojevich-plot.html

continue here please.

... how is it a problem if the President knew of his intentions? I mean, it's not like anybody actually agreed to the man's demands. He got arrested. I guess I'm just not seeing what Obama should have done differently.

Failure to report a crime is a pretty serious offense, for anyone, no?

It is, but so far Harris just believes and felt confident that President Obama knew what was about to happen. That isn't that much proof. Depending on what evidence Harris produces will depend on if I belief an investigation is needed to look into what the President knew.

It will be interesting to watch to say the less though. This could go poorly for either President Obama or Harris.

If this was 4 years ago you all would be screaming witch hunt and waste of tax payer money. We'll see what happens though.

What SOMEONE thought SOMEONE ELSE should have / must have known is immaterial.

Only if it can be proven that the SOMEONE ELSE DID know and can be proven to have known, can their be an investigation into a possible crime having been committed.

Do try (and yes i know it is almost impossible for you who automatically think SOMEONE ELSE is guilty) to remember that at least ostensibly, in the US a person is innocent until found guilty.

Remember how Blago got caught?
Wiretap.

I think the Executive Branch's job was performed successfully. No, seriously, what the **** else do you want?

Edit: Maybe he should have announced it on television, blown the whole investigation? Spooked Blago into keeping that idiocy off the phone?

Last edited:
From the same article.

Obama's 2008 internal report about his staff's contacts with Blagojevich at the time indicates that Balanoff relayed to Jarrett that Blagojevich was interested in a Health and Human Services Cabinet post.

So he relayed that he interested.

And how is that illegal?

And what is this all about?

How is this not heresay?

It will be interesting to watch to say the less though. This could go poorly for either President Obama or Harris.

Harris is testifying under a plea agreement, so the only way it can go poorly for Harris is if he isn't telling the truth.

Harris is testifying under a plea agreement, so the only way it can go poorly for Harris is if he isn't telling the truth.

Yes I know and depending on the conditions of his plea the State could take away the plea agreement. It also will be a shot to his creditability.

Remember how Blago got caught?
Wiretap.

I think the Executive Branch's job was performed successfully. No, seriously, what the **** else do you want?

Edit: Maybe he should have announced it on television, blown the whole investigation? Spooked Blago into keeping that idiocy off the phone?

Or maybe he should simply claim ignorance, like he did about ayers, wright, or any other time he gets caught off guard. :lol:

Jeesh you guys are so sensetive....

What did he know, and when did he know it? Time for a Special Prosecutor to look into the Obama Corruption.

He "believed" he knew?

I thought I remember reading that one of the main sources that gave information against Blogjevich was Rahm Emmanuel. Seems kind of strange to have the White House working to remove the guy while being a part of some unnamed conspiracy theory one guy has without any proof.

No.

It is not illegal to fail to report a crime. It's only illegal if you participate or actively mislead the police or otherwise take action to prevent the person from being brought to justice. Doing nothing is not illegal.

Now wait, I'm confused....

Third Party heresay spoken to a reporter from a notoriously anti-war magazine by an unnamed source should be grounds for the dimissal of a General during a time of war.

however

We're supposed to ignore and write off as useless and not worth paying attention to the third party heresay spoken under oath in a trial that paints the president in a negative light.

Gotcha.

So when do we impeach Obama? :lamo

Third Party heresay spoken to a reporter from a notoriously anti-war magazine by an unnamed source should be grounds for the dimissal of a General during a time of war.

however

We're supposed to ignore and write off as useless and not worth paying attention to the third party heresay spoken under oath in a trial that paints the president in a negative light.

Gotcha.

images

however

Gotcha.

Man, why are these apples not oranges? I'm confused!

It doesn't matter what "light" it paints the president in. That isn't the point.

"Failure to report a crime" doesn't apply when the dude is already in handcuffs.

Last edited:

however

Gotcha.

From what I understand McChrystal himself made comments about civilian leadership so I don't see how that is heresay. I mean he gave an interview and everything was on the record. While Harris has no knowledge of what President Obama knew, only what he thinks the President knew.

Yes?

The first link on that page is another board like this one, where some posters insist it is illegal and others say it isn't.

The second talks about an Ohio law that applies in certain circumstances, such as being required to report a dead body.

The third is another board.

keep going...

Back
Top Bottom