• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Harriett Miers Supreme Court nomination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Harriett Miers supreme court nominee

You Guys Just Don't Get It.

wxcrazytwo said:
You Guys Just Don't Get It.

What's there to get after you've already got?

I do agree that she doesn't necessarily have to have judicial experience to be a good justice. I'll wait until I have read more about her before I make my judgment.

Oh, Stinger, by the way, I made a boo boo with the title of that book, it's "Becoming Justice Blackmun." But I see you meant Black (but I needed to correct myself anyway).

AlbqOwl said:
What's there to get after you've already got?

SHE IS NOT QUALIFIED.

wxcrazytwo said:
SHE IS NOT QUALIFIED.

Tone down on the all cap posts will yah? In case you post more than one sentence it will be hard to read. (not a mod action, respectfully asking)

It is not a requirement to be a judge to begin with. How is she not qualified?

You too could be a supreme court judge! There are no real rules in the constitution about the Supreme Court Justices (Article III) - only the fact that congress puts them in there and the prez nominates.

Harriet Miers nominated by president Bush will more than likely be "savaged" by the senate democrats.

Personnally, ..I would have prefered more of a known conservative commodity who would help launch a senate fight which would ignite the nuclear option that the senate majority had promised, rather than kow-tow to the democrats ongoing vision of "institutionalized" liberalism to the extent that all things that the left revere as untouchable forvever,... never to be discussed, or debated regardless of its outdated, or illegal activist past origins!

This crap about the senate republican majority having to choose who the liberals deem as "mainstream" is absolutely horsedump, ...as the liberals sure as hell do not, nor ever have represented the values of mainstream america.

Miers "appears" to understand, & respect the three branches of government, & their place. I for one HOPE to hell that it is just not lip service, ...for if I had my druthers, I would have hoped to see "liberalism" sitting on the edge with a well placed push to shove it over once & for all in a senate fight that should have happened long ago, ...as a nice little message reminding the senate liberals why we have elections, & what the benefits are when winning elections actually means!

The GOP, & the senate majority do NOT have to cut deals with the senate liberals; ...its time the senate liberals in the minority be REMINDED of that.

I'am sick of seeing "liberalism" always left alive on the beach, ...and left close to the waters edge, & some well meaning republicans always there to help resucitate it so they can be seen as tollerant, humane, or fair!

Amazing that when liberals were in power for so long in the past,.. courtesy of a monopolized media, ..they never gave a rats as.s about "placating" the senate republicans when republicans USED to be in the minority!

Actually....a good old senate fight would most probably be the last nail in the coffin for liberalism, ...something that the Nancy Pelosi's, The Barbara Boxer's, The Chuckie Schumer's, & Ted Kennedy's had better understand DOES represent the views of the mainstream american voters. :smile:

Stu Ghatze said:
Amazing that when liberals were in power for so long in the past,.. courtesy of a monopolized media, ..they never gave a rats as.s about "placating" the senate republicans when republicans USED to be in the minority!

Actually....a good old senate fight would most probably be the last nail in the coffin for liberalism, ...something that the Nancy Pelosi's, The Barbara Boxer's, The Chuckie Schumer's, & Ted Kennedy's had better understand DOES represent the views of the mainstream american voters. :smile:

:applaud

Well said!

galenrox said:
Here's the extraordinary circumstance, she's just a croney. I was never opposed to Roberts, but she's not qualified, and she only got the nod because she'll rule exactly the way Bush wants her to with complete indifference to the actual constitution.
Bush is trying to pull an FDR here.

galen...

I expected this rubbish from certain forum members...you weren't one of them...:(

Senate Democratic Leader Harry Reid was complimentary, issuing a statement that said he likes Miers and adding "the Supreme Court would benefit from the addition of a justice who has real experience as a practicing lawyer."

At the same time, he said he looked forward to the "process which will help the American people learn more about Harriet Miers, and help the Senate determine whether she deserves a lifetime seat on the Supreme Court."

Reid had personally recommended that Bush consider Miers for nomination, according to several sources familiar with the president's consultations with individual senators. Of equal importance as the White House maps its confirmation campaign is that the Nevada Democrat had warned Bush that the selection of any of several other contenders could trigger a bruising partisan struggle...

...Federal Election Commission records show Miers contributed $1,000 to Bush when he first ran for the White House in 2000 and $5,000 to the Bush-Cheney Recount Fund in the post-election struggle that finally sealed his victory over Al Gore.

Ironically, she had donated $1,000 to Gore a dozen years earlier, when he first sought the White House.

There was little outright opposition to Miers in the first few hours after her selection was announced _ and what there was came from the most unyielding conservative anti-abortion groups...

...While House spokesman Scott McClellan said the president had seriously considered 12 to 15 contenders for the job. He said more than one Democratic senator had broached Miers' name to the president, but declined to identify them...

...Eager to rebut any charges of cronyism, the White House produced statistics showing that 10 of the 34 Justices appointed since 1933 had worked for the president who picked them. Among them were the late Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist, first tapped for the court by Richard M. Nixon, and Byron White, whose president was John F. Kennedy...

http://www.comcast.net/news/index.jsp?cat=GENERAL&fn=/2005/10/03/233742.html

So while some immediately jump on the "smear bandwagon", it has been revealed that Senator Reid himself was one of the ones who "recommended that Bush consider Miers for nomination"...

Sorry to rain on the "I hate Bush" parade...:2wave:

wxcrazytwo said:
Stinger, go back to your political world view. Every Justice has to have some kind of judge experience. Heckm without it you get SPAM (mystery meat).

Warren didn't, Black didn't many many didn't. They are being asked to interpret the constitution not judge cases.

If Reid likes her, that's a good sign. Maybe there is hope for this nomination. I forget--did he vote for or against Roberts?

aps said:
If Reid likes her, that's a good sign. Maybe there is hope for this nomination. I forget--did he vote for or against Roberts?

Last I heard he said he was going to vote nay, but I don't know how he actually voted.

I have some concern about this nominee.........I will reserve my judgment on her until the hearings......I heard that in 1988 she contributed to the Gore campaign when he ran for the senate...I heard this morning also that she is and avowed christian so that is good........

I think no matter who the president nominates the democrats will try and block her and if they do try and filibuster the nominee they will be toast because the republicans have the nuclear option to use.......

It should be fun........As the President once said that irritates the left so much........"Bring it on."

Navy Pride said:
Is it not odd that Reid had no problem with Ginsberg not answered question during her hearings but he has a problem when it is a Bush nominee doing the same thing?

You find it odd that a Senator would have little or no questions for a nominee nominated by a President from his own party, but did have questions for a nominee from a President from the opposing party? I would find it odd if he didn't.

Navy Pride said:
I have some concern about this nominee.........I will reserve my judgment on her until the hearings......I heard that in 1988 she contributed to the Gore campaign when he ran for the senate...I heard this morning also that she is and avowed christian so that is good........
Avowed christian and not "just a christian". Hehe. Here's more of the info about contributions:
Since the mid-1990s, Miers has contributed to the campaigns of various Republicans, including Kay Bailey Hutchinson, Phil Gramm, and Pete Sessions, with recorded contributions to Republican candidates and causes totaling nearly $12,000. Her earlier political history shows support for the Democratic Party during the 1980s, with recorded contributions to Democratic candidates and causes, including the Democratic National Committee, the Senate campaign of Lloyd Bentsen and the 1988 Presidential campaign of Al Gore, totaling $3,000. Her last recorded contribution to a Democratic cause or campaign was in 1988.

NavyPride said:
Is it not odd that Reid had no problem with Ginsberg not answered question during her hearings but he has a problem when it is a Bush nominee doing the same thing?
Clinton did things much differently than Bush is doing them. Clinton worked behind the scenes to get a consensus with the senate first before attempting to push a candidate through which gave people time to find out more info about them. Bush is just pushing a candidate through. Different politician, different tactics. So far, with Roberts, it's worked for Bush.

It does look like first lady Laura got her wish of having a female jurist though.
And Bush chose not to take the advice of first lady Laura Bush, who publicly suggested that O'Connor, the nation's first female justice, be succeeded by another woman.

Pacridge said:
You find it odd that a Senator would have little or no questions for a nominee nominated by a President from his own party, but did have questions for a nominee from a President from the opposing party? I would find it odd if he didn't.

Ginsberg and avowed liberal, a lawyer for one of the biggest organization the ACLU was confirmed 96-3.........I think a conservative if qualified should be alloted the same right..........

I will say the the dems are between a rock and a hard place on this one because if they filibuster her Senator Frist will invoke the nuclear option and then according to the constitution a simple of majority of 51 votes is all you need for confirmation......

shuamort said:
Avowed christian and not "just a christian". Hehe. Here's more of the info about contributions:

Clinton did things much differently than Bush is doing them. Clinton worked behind the scenes to get a consensus with the senate first before attempting to push a candidate through which gave people time to find out more info about them. Bush is just pushing a candidate through. Different politician, different tactics. So far, with Roberts, it's worked for Bush.

It does look like first lady Laura got her wish of having a female jurist though.

I just heard tha she contributed to dems in Texas in the eighties but they were conservative dems as at that time there were very few republicans in the state.............Even then Algore was considered a moderate conservative as he was pro life and then deserted that group to appease the far left and run for president......

Pacridge said:

Yes, I would find it odd too. I would also find it refreshing if a Senator actually did his job with the idea of confirming good people for the High Court rather than acting out of political expediency or just following the party line. I wonder if any of us will live long enough to see that?

Liberals are not going to like this.........I was just listening to the Michael Medved radio talk show and a lady called in and said she as a member of the same church that Ms. Meirs attends...........She said this woman is very religeous and a fundamentalist christian and that she even taught sunday school...............

This is really great news if you are a conservative..........As I have said before when it comes to this nominee and the dems, Stand by for heavy rolls to port........

Navy Pride said:
Liberals are not going to like this.........I was just listening to the Michael Medved radio talk show and a lady called in and said she as a member of the same church that Ms. Meirs attends...........She said this woman is very religeous and a fundamentalist christian and that she even taught sunday school...............

This is really great news if you are a conservative..........As I have said before when it comes to this nominee and the dems, Stand by for heavy rolls to port........
She can stick an evergreen up her butt and call it Christmas for all I care. As long as she knows that when she puts on her robes, she leaves whatever prejudices (positive or negative) at the door and follow the law.

shuamort said:
She can stick an evergreen up her butt and call it Christmas for all I care. As long as she knows that when she puts on her robes, she leaves whatever prejudices (positive or negative) at the door and follow the law.

I just hope your liberal cronnies in the senate feel the same way you do but sadly somehow I don't think they will:roll:

Stay tuned, it should be fun....

Last edited:

shuamort said:

Shuey!...Please go back and read my article before you claim that he's just "pushing" a candidate through...

Reid had personally recommended that Bush consider Miers for nomination, according to several sources familiar with the president's consultations with individual senators. Of equal importance as the White House maps its confirmation campaign is that the Nevada Democrat had warned Bush that the selection of any of several other contenders could trigger a bruising partisan struggle...

There's more...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=102403&postcount=35

shuamort said:

I'm with you actually. A judge's personal ideology matters not one whit if that judge is committed to interpreting the letter of the law, including the Constitution. Leave it to the people, via their elected representatives, to determine what the law shall be.

cnredd said:
Shuey!...Please go back and read my article before you claim that he's just "pushing" a candidate through...

There's more...

http://www.debatepolitics.com/showpost.php?p=102403&postcount=35
You crafty bastard. Good call.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom