• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Harriett Miers Supreme Court nomination

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Harriett Miers supreme court nominee

scottyz said:
Anyone ever think that Miers might be part of a bait and switch strategy?
I was thinking that just the other day. Like Bush nominated her in the hopes that Democrats would try to block the nomination. Then, he would withdrawl the nomination and nominate some nut job like Thomas or Scalia, and paint it like they tried working with the Democrats, but they are just obstructionists.

Of course, it did not really work out that way. In fact, the Dem's would be crazy to try to block her nomination. It's the radically social right that is worried about her. The fact that she has not spent a lifetime worshiping the alter of theo-con activism concerns them.

Re: Opposition by the cons/repubs to Harriet Miers

aps said:
Okay, I need to get this off my chest because I think there could be something behind all this opposition by Bush's base to Harriet Miers's nomination.

Could this be a ploy to get democrats to support her?

The conservatives/republicans have been DYING to get the Supreme Court to be more conservative (and to overrule Roe v. Wade). This appointment is their chance to do this. Bush is absolutely confident that Harriet is going to be another Scalia and Thomas. Why wouldn't Bush's base support him? They have supported him in everything else he has done, no matter how much he has screwed up. So why NOW would they suddenly decide not to support him, particularly when he has taken a lot of heat due to Katrina and the failing support for the war in Iraq?

I could see how some conservatives could have doubts, but THIS many of those who have worshipped him in the past? It just doesn't seem credible.

My initial thought (as a democrat) when I heard that conservatives were not happy was, "Well, maybe there is a reason to support her since they don't like her."

I think there is some reverse psychology going on here. What do you all think?

This is not a ploy. President Bush is doing what he does. He hires, appoints, and nominates people close to him. He is very loyal. John Roberts was an exception-I don't think Bush knew him personally.

If Bush nominated Harriett Meiers as a ruse, and plans to drop her due to fake consternation from his own party, his approval rating would drop even further. So would his credibility. The public wouldn't be in on the scam, right?
So most of us would see her exit as a failure. Even if she stepped down today on her own, it would still hurt him. Also, most of us would think there is a rift in the Republican Party, and no members of Congress who will be running for reelection would want that.

Don't forget the interview the other day, on the Today Show I think, when George Bush said (paraphrased) "Harriett Meiers will be confirmed and will sit on the Supreme Court." Read his lips.

Pacridge said:
Well this doesn't happen often...I completely agree with you. Though I think it's possible they may allow a select few to vote no, not in the hearings, rather in the confirmation vote.

The democrats are staying quiet now but come confirmation time the usual suspects Kennedy. Boxer, Kerry, and Clinton will vote nay........

Much to the consternation of our liberal friends Harriet Meirs will be confirmed with about 75 votes and will be and outstanding conservative justice who will interpret the law and not make it....

You heard it here first.......

Navy Pride said:
The democrats are staying quiet now but come confirmation time the usual suspects Kennedy. Boxer, Kerry, and Clinton will vote nay........

Much to the consternation of our liberal friends Harriet Meirs will be confirmed with about 75 votes and will be and outstanding conservative justice who will interpret the law and not make it....

Yes, because everyone can trust your word.
Your a friggin' Genius old man.

Caine said:
Yes, because everyone can trust your word.
Your a friggin' Genius old man.
Are you saying you won't be confirmed my wanna be soldier police officer?

SouthernDemocrat said:
I was thinking that just the other day. Like Bush nominated her in the hopes that Democrats would try to block the nomination. Then, he would withdrawl the nomination and nominate some nut job like Thomas or Scalia, and paint it like they tried working with the Democrats, but they are just obstructionists.
The Republicans have ended up being the main opposition. Bush can't run again so chances are he doesn't care and he knows there would be many pesonal advantages to having Miers on the Supreme Court.

Navy Pride said:
Are you saying you won't be confirmed my wanna be soldier police officer?

Im not saying that, Im saying that you are making ignorant assumptions, and It would be better off to not try to predict the outcome of the process, especially with such bias towards certain members of the senate.

What do you have to say to that my wanna be Navy Vietnam Veteran old geezer?

Bush is a coward, this nominee, a joke, and this administration is in complete turmoil!:doh

I hate to say it, but I think some admin. officials are going down, and Andy Card is now in charge. I believe that either Libby, or Rove will be indicted, and this is why Bush does not want to live up to his campaign promises.

Navy Pride said:

This post contains, as usual, more stupid, stupid words! No one, and especially you Navy Pride knows $hit about Miers (you didn't even spell her name properly :lol: ).

What seems to be a very typical pattern for you are the words in this post. So little is known about Miers yet you, Navy Pride, know all about her and know that she will get 75 votes. I'm always dumbfounded the level of ignorance exposed by the words in your posts. This post is vintage Navy Pride.

I think the only person in America who has a bigger crush on Bush than Miers is Navy Pride! The difference is Navy's love is unreguited. :kissy:

Caine said:
Im not saying that, Im saying that you are making ignorant assumptions, and It would be better off to not try to predict the outcome of the process, especially with such bias towards certain members of the senate.

What do you have to say to that my wanna be Navy Vietnam Veteran old geezer?

You can believe what you want my wannabe soldier, I just know that on the first of every month there is a $2,000. pension check deposited in my checking account......

Well we shall see........Like I said your left wing buddies will vote against her but the Republicans will vote for her and she will be confirmed easily......

Book it my liberal buddy

26 X World Champs said:
This post contains, as usual, more stupid, stupid words! No one, and especially you Navy Pride knows $hit about Miers (you didn't even spell her name properly :lol: ).

What seems to be a very typical pattern for you are the words in this post. So little is known about Miers yet you, Navy Pride, know all about her and know that she will get 75 votes. I'm always dumbfounded the level of ignorance exposed by the words in your posts. This post is vintage Navy Pride.

I think the only person in America who has a bigger crush on Bush than Miers is Navy Pride! The difference is Navy's love is unreguited. :kissy:

THE YANKEES SUCK THE YANKEES SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!!

Navy Pride said:

Some moderator seriously needs to ban this guy.

He adds nothing to ignorance to the debate with his childish posts.

No self-respecting "veteran" would act like this.

Navy Pride said:
Without question your posts are the stupidest, most immature and pathetic posts of anyone in this community. Every post you write contain words that show exactly who you are. How a grown man could excite himself by writing the words of an 8 year old (revealing, isn't it?) is stunning, stunningly moronic!

Fortunately for all Americans you are atypical of the men and women who are in today's Navy. If our Navy were made up of people who wrote posts like you write we would probably all be speaking Russian today.

You're a frickin' genius Navy Pride! Hey - Ever see the scene in Forest Gump where he assembles his rifle? You're a frickin' genius Navy Pride!

Caine said:

If you click on the Caution Sign in the lower left corner of that post you can file a formal complaint about the post.

Hey......give the guy a break!

I have witnessed a lot more name calling from the other side, then I have from Navy. Just think about that, you all seem to love the battle, what would you do without him?;)

Caine said:

Sorry, we don't ban people for saying stupid things.

Pacridge said:
Sorry, we don't ban people for saying stupid things.

Damn..... :rofl

AK_Conservative said:
Consider yourself lucky Caine! :lol:

What the hell is that supposed to mean?

AK_Conservative said:
Consider yourself lucky Caine! :lol:

Touche.......Great shot......One for the good guys.......:applaud

Navy Pride said:
Touche.......Great shot......One for the good guys.......:applaud
Fortunately for all Americans you are atypical of the men and women who are in today's Navy. If our Navy were made up of people who wrote posts like you write we would probably all be speaking Russian today.

You're a frickin' genius Navy Pride! Hey - Ever see the scene in Forest Gump where he assembles his rifle? You're a frickin' genius Navy Pride!

Deegan said:
I have witnessed a lot more name calling from the other side, then I have from Navy.
I would say it's just the opposite...

26 X World Champs said:

How could a slacker like you who has total disdain for our military know anything about what it is made of .......That is a good one........:lol:

As Bush stands by his nominee decision, I find it troubling that the major argument he has for her defense is that he does not know how she stands on many issues yet she is a good friend. As for her not changing her views well...what are her views??

Michael Brown was great example of what can happen when putting a friend in office that you don't know enough about. Bravo Bushy, bravo.

Navy Pride said:
How could a slacker like you who has total disdain for our military know anything about what it is made of .......That is a good one........:lol:
More name calling Navy Pride? Unable to intellectually debate me or anyone else so you seem to often resort to your favorite tactic, name calling.

If our military minds were made up of people who believe the posts that you write then we would all be in serious trouble. Fortunately, our military personal are a whole lot smarter than that. They know that your posts are almost always written without any facts, are not based in any type of reality, and are, for the most part, wrong, wrong, wrong.

The people in our military are way too smart to believe your words. It doesn't take an intellect of even less than average intelligence to know, for sure, that the words in your posts are ignorant, biased, juvenile, slanted, and most importantly, WRONG.

You're a frickin' genius Navy Pride!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom