• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Happy Meal Toys Endangered Species In San Francisco

Would you rather McDonalds do the conditioning?

McDonands is not conditioning anyone. Little kids do not have jobs, do not have transportation and are in the care of their parents or legal guardian. So it is the parents that condition their kids seeing how it is the parents that decide what their kids can and can not eat.

Last edited:
McDonalds should tell them where to go by closing up shop.

LOL what the heck do oyuo think advertising is?

Do little kids have jobs so they can have money to buy happymeals? Do they have their own transportation so they can go to McDonalds whenever they want? Is it the children's job to make choices in what they eat? The answer to all these question is no. So it is irrelevant what McDonalds advertises to them because it is the parent's choice to say no. Advertising doesn't mean squat except trying to put their name out there to consumers. Are you so weak willed as a parent and a pushover with the word bitch written across your forehead that you let tell your kids make all the decisions that you are supposed to so you want the government telling you what you can eat and whether or not certian places can give out crappy toys to those who buy their childrens meals?

Last edited:
McDonands is not conditioning anyone. Little kids do not have jobs, do not have transportation and are in the care of their parents or legal guardian. So it is the parents that condition their kids seeing how it is the parents that decide what their kids can and can not eat.
Nagging from children is a well documented factor in the purchase of almost anything

Nagging from children is a well documented factor in the purchase of almost anything

A few incompetent parents or guardians does not change the fact it is still the parents or guardian who make the choices in what their kids eat. If a child does not stop pestering or nagging for something after being told no then punish the child, its that simple. You need to assert your authority as the parent aka the boss of the child, not have the government do your job for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 505
And the well-documented solution to nagging is to pass government programs prohibiting the sale of said item. That's just smart parenting.

A few incompetent parents or guardians does not change the fact it is still the parents or guardian who make the choices in what their kids eat. If a child does not stop pestering or nagging for something after being told no then punish the child, its that simple. You need to assert your authority as the parent aka the boss of the child.
I'm curious, do you have children? This isnt a personal attack so lets just head that train of thought off before it even starts boarding.

And the well-documented solution to nagging is to pass government programs prohibiting the sale of said item. That's just smart parenting.
I never said I supported the banning of children's toys from McDonalds. I simply contend that children have FAR more influence over a family purchasing habit than people give them credit for.

...only for weak parents who have the authoritarian skills of a stale bagel. The rest of us tell our kids "no" and they know that's the end of it.

People who cave to the whining and begging of their children are likely the same people who lack the discipline to even care for themselves properly. However, shoving 19 Big Macs into their own face is their choice, not something that the government should be able to regulate. The same goes for their spoiled, rotten kids.

I'm amazed at the lack of personal responsibility that is exhibited by Americans as a society.

I'm curious, do you have children? This isnt a personal attack so lets just head that train of thought off before it even starts boarding.

Whether or not I have children is irrelevant to the discussion. I was raised by a competent parent, my mother was raised by competent parents and my grandparents were raised by competent parents and so on. When me and my sisters were little and we pestered my mother or another adult for something after being told no, we would either get a spanking, get grounded or some other punishment. Did your parents cave every time you nagged or pestered them for something? If you have kids do you cave every time they nag or pester you for something? If you have nieces, nephews,kid sisters or kid brothers you watch, do you cave every time they pester you for something?

Last edited:

This is such bull****. Of course more purchases occur if the kid says they want something. Holy ****. That's so overwhelmingly a big ole, "DUH!!" How the hell does a parent know what a kid wants as a gift unless the kid says they want it? This goes for any person, not just kids.

But any parent who buys a kid something that they really think they should not have has only themselves to blame.

Reactions: 505
Whether or not I have children is irrelevant to the discussion.
Actually it's EXTREMELY relevant. Unless you personally have children or have experience dealing with children, your opinion that parents should just ignore nagging and that it's the sign of a weak parent who gives in is based completely on supposition. You dont think it's that hard so you assume it isn't. You are doing the equivalent of a guy seeing a medical procedure on TV and saying "That doesn't look so hard, I could TOTALLY do that!"

I never said I supported the banning of children's toys from McDonalds. I simply contend that children have FAR more influence over a family purchasing habit than people give them credit for.
Ah, good. I'll climb aboard that wagon.

Actually it's EXTREMELY relevant. Unless you personally have children or have experience dealing with children, your opinion that parents should just ignore nagging and that it's the sign of a weak parent who gives in is based completely on supposition. You dont think it's that hard so you assume it isn't.

Unless you grew up in an environment with no parental authority figure you should have a pretty good idea how to handle children and if you forgot you can always ask your parents how did they handle this or that situation. Did your parents cave every time you nagged or pestered them for something?

I used to babysit my kid sisters and I occasionally babysit my nieces and nephew.

You are doing the equivalent of a guy seeing a medical procedure on TV and saying "That doesn't look so hard, I could TOTALLY do that!"

Not even comparable.Growing up as a child when you are not in school you are practically around your parents 24/7. So you know how they handled you. Even when you were at school you are around adults who handle children and they do not cave to nagging and pestering.

It's sad to see that there are people who really seem to prefer government intervention to raising their kids on their own.

Then why are you concerned about this issue at all?

It's not a matter of where I choose to eat, it's a matter of what I think government's interference should be in the lives of the people. I would've thought that was obvious.

It's not a matter of where I choose to eat, it's a matter of what I think government's interference should be in the lives of the people. I would've thought that was obvious.

OK, fair enough. But, you don't even live there. SF is not a family with kids kind of a city. I doubt anyone will notice. Besides, it's city government, not The Government.

EDIT: A city government in a city full of kids would likely get voted out next time.

Last edited:
not sure where some people get the Idea that this is the government telling children what they can eat. I take the "I don't give a damn" stance on this issue. Clearly parents are having a more difficult time keeping their kids in shape, today's fast food industry probably does contribute to that issue. Still, if a company wants to give out toys with their meals as a business ploy then so be it. It ought to be up to the parent to do the choosing but unfortunately it seems more and more parents are doing a crappy job.

It's sad to see that there are people who really seem to prefer government intervention to raising their kids on their own.

Don't worry mcDonalds is more than happy to step in:

Encouraging Kids to Get Fit

In January 2005, McDonald's Chief Creative Officer Marlena Peleo-Lazar told a government panel concerned with food marketing to children that Ronald McDonald had morphed from "chief happiness officer" into an "ambassador for an active, balanced lifestyle" and was visiting elementary schools to tout exercise.[13] Ronald also got a makeover to look more active in June 2005, trading in his trademark yellow jumpsuit for sportier garb. McDonald's also introduced a new program called Active Achievers in fall 2005 to "deliver educational messages to students about nutrition, and balance between eating right and staying active."[14] They also announced a program called Passport to Play, which was distributed to 31,000 schools and seven million children. Psychologist Susan Linn, cofounder of the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood, said McDonald's had no place in schools: "This is another marketing ploy. The notion that children need Ronald McDonald to get them to enjoy exercise is bogus. Given the opportunity, kids naturally like to be active."[15]

McDonald's - SourceWatch

OK, fair enough. But, you don't even live there. SF is not a family with kids kind of a city. I doubt anyone will notice. Besides, it's city government, not The Government.

EDIT: A city government in a city full of kids would likely get voted out next time.

It's called a slippery slope and should concern everyone.
I hope McDonald's doesn't cave to their demands.

It's called a slippery slope and should concern everyone.
I hope McDonald's doesn't cave to their demands.
You do know that "slippery slope" is a logical fallacy, right?

Back
Top Bottom