• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

• Happy Holidays

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Merry Christmas

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
Deegan said:
Well it sounds as if we are in agreement then, I have never asked that the government endorse Christmas, but they have in a way, and I am fine with that. They made Christmas a federal holiday, and that obviously includes everything that this holiday is about.

I don't think giving people time off so that they may practice their religious/nonreligious beliefs means an endorsement of that particular holiday. It's the people that are celebrating, not the government, and that is where the important distinction is made.

Deegan said:
Well it sounds as if we are in agreement then, I have never asked that the government endorse Christmas, but they have in a way, and I am fine with that. They made Christmas a federal holiday, and that obviously includes everything that this holiday is about.

Including the pagan aspects (I LOVE talking about that! :2razz: )....and the other things taken from other cultures, religions, and celebrations....right?

Stace said:
Well, I did explain it already, but here we go again.

This is what you posted:

This is what it says in the user agreement for debatepolitics.com:

And I found the following when I did a Yahoo! search on "separation of church and state Constitution":

Hmmm....looks to be verbatim what you posted, aside from your introduction of "I am not surprised that you folks have been indoctrinated in to this belief", and I'm pretty sure that website wasn't established within the past half hour or so.

I am certain I did read that, as I have been debating this issue for years on the internet, and am in no way required to link every phrase I have found to be in agreement with. I certainly don't appreciate your suggestion that I am a plagiarist, it's unfounded, and without merit. I could do a search on a number of your posts as well, I would find the same thing, time after time. I will wait for your apology.:roll:

Columbusite said:
Look at what these lunatics say. And you actually agree with this, Deegan?

"It must be remembered that neutrality is impossible. Some authority, whether it be God or man, is used as the reference point for all enacted laws. If a political system rejects one authority, it adopts another. If a biblical moral system is not being legislated, then an immoral system is being legislated. Any moral system that does not put Jesus Christ at its center, denies Christ"

http://www.jeremiahproject.com/culture/ch_state.html

And next, I add, they will demand that all people of the US pledge allegiance to Christ and Christianity or leave.... or be tortured and killed.... ahem... (Inquisition)

They way the US is going, I wouldn't be surprised to see something similiar to the Inquisition before I die. Of course, it won't be like the actual Inquisition, but more of a political one.

It actually goes on right now, these crazy ass christian groups work thier asses off to discredit anyone who isn't a good christian when they run for office.... As if Jews, Muslims, etc.... cannot be politicians because they don't believe in christ....

Then, I ask you to re-read my Signature.

Columbusite said:
Look at what these lunatics say. And you actually agree with this, Deegan?

"It must be remembered that neutrality is impossible. Some authority, whether it be God or man, is used as the reference point for all enacted laws. If a political system rejects one authority, it adopts another. If a biblical moral system is not being legislated, then an immoral system is being legislated. Any moral system that does not put Jesus Christ at its center, denies Christ"

http://www.jeremiahproject.com/culture/ch_state.html

I have read this site, and many like it in my research, of course I don't believe in everything they have to say, but some of their points ring so very true. I would certainly disagree with that paragraph completely, that is not my stance on this issue at all.

Deegan said:
I am certain I did read that, as I have been debating this issue for years on the internet, and am in no way required to link every phrase I have found to be in agreement with. I certainly don't appreciate your suggestion that I am a plagiarist, it's unfounded, and without merit. I could do a search on a number of your posts as well, I would find the same thing, time after time. I will wait for your apology.:roll:

No, you don't have to post a link every single time you agree with someone....but posting someone else's words, verbatim, does require a link.

I didn't do a search on your exact words. As I explained, my search was for "separation of church and state Constitution", and that website was the first thing that popped up, and it caught my attention because it was verbatim what you posted. You would be hard pressed to search the internet and find such a long sentence of something I've posted elsewhere, as I am not quoting anyone but myself in my posts, unless otherwise stated.

Stace said:
No, you don't have to post a link every single time you agree with someone....but posting someone else's words, verbatim, does require a link.

I didn't do a search on your exact words. As I explained, my search was for "separation of church and state Constitution", and that website was the first thing that popped up, and it caught my attention because it was verbatim what you posted. You would be hard pressed to search the internet and find such a long sentence of something I've posted elsewhere, as I am not quoting anyone but myself in my posts, unless otherwise stated.

They are not exclusively anyones words, it's a simple sentence structure, with words that I have used frequently, and are my own. I don't need to defend myself on this, I have acknowledged that I have read that in the past, and I am certain this is where I came to learn of this. I am still not required to go back and find from where I have discovered every phrase I use, and link those. To expect this of anyone is ridiculous, and you have failed miserably to paint me as a plagiarist, I still wait patiently for your apology.:roll:

Deegan said:
I have read this site, and many like it in my research, of course I don't believe in everything they have to say, but some of their points ring so very true. I would certainly disagree with that paragraph completely, that is not my stance on this issue at all.

I was hoping you'd say that, but they obviously lack even a basic understanding of the Constitution that I'm sure even though they get a few things right I wouldn't go to them as a source to rely on, ever. I'll give an example. Let's say there is something that makes perfect sense, but came fromn the KKK. Now, they may be right about whatever that piece of info is, but I would rather get it somewhere else where I know the reasoning behind it is sound. A goos site I came across is this one. http://members.tripod.com/~candst/index.html

Now if you'll excuse me, I have an ACLU meeting to go to where we're going to plot on how to ban Christianity and promote any other religion over it, specifically radical Islam.

Deegan said:
They are not exclusively anyones words, it's a simple sentence structure, with words that I have used frequently, and are my own. I don't need to defend myself on this, I have acknowledged that I have read that in the past, and I am certain this is where I came to learn of this. I am still not required to go back and find from where I have discovered every phrase I use, and link those. To expect this of anyone is ridiculous, and you have failed miserably to paint me as a plagiarist, I still wait patiently for your apology.:roll:

By all means, wait away. I don't expect people to quote every single source they have, because chances are, they are not writing things found elsewhere word for word. I find it hard to believe that you just "happened" to have the exact same thought as that already posted elsewhere. Or that you remembered that phrase word for word.

I was not intending to upset anyone, by any means, or intending to be a b****. If anything, I thought perhaps you would have a sense of humor about it, as others have.

Stace said:
By all means, wait away. I don't expect people to quote every single source they have, because chances are, they are not writing things found elsewhere word for word. I find it hard to believe that you just "happened" to have the exact same thought as that already posted elsewhere. Or that you remembered that phrase word for word.

I was not intending to upset anyone, by any means, or intending to be a b****. If anything, I thought perhaps you would have a sense of humor about it, as others have.

You find it difficult to believe I remembered ten or so words on the internet, o.k, you're obviously not going to retract your statement. And no, I don't find it humorous at all, you are new to this whole thing I take it? I have been debating this for four years on many different forums, I remember a lot of phrases, but not were I found them, and I certainly don't feel the need to link those everytime. I have been doing this so long, that I have probably taken many phrases, and repeated them here, I refuse to apologize for that, and there is no way I can be expected to do so. I suggest you research plagiarism before accusing someone again, you have made yourself look the fool here, not I.

Deegan said:
you have made yourself look the fool here, not I.

ACTUALLY.....

You just made yourself look as such, because you still, for some reason, think that Christmas deserves a higher place in society than any other religious holiday. That makes you look rather ignorant.

Deegan said:
You find it difficult to believe I remembered ten or so words on the internet, o.k, you're obviously not going to retract your statement. And no, I don't find it humorous at all, you are new to this whole thing I take it? I have been debating this for four years on many different forums, I remember a lot of phrases, but not were I found them, and I certainly don't feel the need to link those everytime. I have been doing this so long, that I have probably taken many phrases, and repeated them here, I refuse to apologize for that, and there is no way I can be expected to do so. I suggest you research plagiarism before accusing someone again, you have made yourself look the fool here, not I.

From dictionary.com:

plagiarism

n 1: a piece of writing that has been copied from someone else and is presented as being your own work 2: the act of plagiarizing; taking someone's words or ideas as if they were your own [syn: plagiarization, plagiarisation, piracy]

I'm not asking you to apologize, I really don't care what you do. It was not intended as an "accusation", I was merely pointing it out. If I really cared, I would report it, now wouldn't I?

If you feel that I look foolish, that's your opinion and you're entitled to it. But it seems pretty apparent to me that others found it humorous, and the only thing I'm sorry for is that you could not find the humor in it, as well.

Caine said:
ACTUALLY.....

You just made yourself look as such, because you still, for some reason, think that Christmas deserves a higher place in society than any other religious holiday. That makes you look rather ignorant.

Again, where did I say this, I have never said this, not even anything close to this, you people are nuts!:roll:

Back
Top Bottom