• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

• Happy Holidays

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Merry Christmas

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters

Caine

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
There has been alot of talk on the news lately about Catholic groups getting mad because retail stores have been catering to people of all faiths by using Happy Holidays instead of saying Merry Christmas. Even the President has taken heat due to using Happy Holidays in the White House seasonal greeting card this year. So, which do you think most people should say? Happy Holidays? or Merry Christmas?

I used to live in Long Island New York, so the chances were high I would be greeting someone who celebrated Hannukah around this time of year, hence, I used Happy Holidays. Currently my two neighbors are muslim, (one is a pharmacist and the other a basketball coach at Dekalb sshooll systems and his wife is a back up singer for Beyonce) I'm a Diest so I just use Happy Holidays

Caine said:
There has been alot of talk on the news lately about Catholic groups getting mad because retail stores have been catering to people of all faiths by using Happy Holidays instead of saying Merry Christmas. Even the President has taken heat due to using Happy Holidays in the White House seasonal greeting card this year. So, which do you think most people should say? Happy Holidays? or Merry Christmas?

People should say whatever they feel is appropriate. I happen to sell Christmas merchandise, and we have something for everyone, from traditional, to the most bizarre. Still, most people seem to appreciate the spirit of the season, and choose to participate, religious or not, it's just an enjoyable time of the year. I personally think too much is being made of this, and it has not been a problem for the last hundred years. I have never heard of anyone being offended by the words Merry Christmas, this is all a manufactured issue, by folks on the left with too much time on their hands.:roll:

Deegan said:
this is all a manufactured issue, by folks on the left with too much time on their hands.:roll:

Yes, because people like Pat Robertson and a bunch of Catholic groups are lefties....

Caine said:
Yes, because people like Pat Robertson and a bunch of Catholic groups are lefties....

They are only fighting to keep the FEDERAL holiday of Christmas as it is, and to have displays in public, kept there along side others. This fight was started by groups like the ACLU and other leftist groups, they drew first blood.

Deegan said:
They are only fighting to keep the FEDERAL holiday of Christmas as it is, and to have displays in public, kept there along side others. This fight was started by groups like the ACLU and other leftist groups, they drew first blood.

Is that why some catholic groups are boycotting places like Target and Wal-Mart because they are using Happy Holidays... and they are pissed at the president for putting happy holidays in his holiday card.

Call it whatever you freakin' want.....Im just here for the food

I'm an agnostic jewish pagan:mrgreen: Lately, since I've been working in a department store, I find the religious carols mildly offensive-before I could just ignore them, but they're constant over 6 hours of corporate radio.
I celebrate Christmas-married into a religious Protestant family and my family celebrated it mostly as nonsecular(dad is a recovering Catholic).
Happy Holidays is more comfortable-covers all the bases, really and I tend to lean toward the TRUE spirit of the season-a celebration of life and those in it.
After all, the "Christmas" part of it was made up to quell and/or convert the Pagans of old and their celebration of Winter Solstice. ;)

Caine said:
Is that why some catholic groups are boycotting places like Target and Wal-Mart because they are using Happy Holidays... and they are pissed at the president for putting happy holidays in his holiday card.

Actually, it was something that offended them greatly, so they fought the good fight, and prevailed. As both will now say Merry Christmas, as well as happy holiday, and all other religious phrases. You may not find it unacceptable, but some of us have grown up with the words Merry Christmas, and did not appreciate those words disappearing from our lives. I don't agree with some religious groups, or their methods, but I will stand and fight for this FEDERAL HOLIDAY!

Deegan said:
Actually, it was something that offended them greatly, so they fought the good fight, and prevailed. As both will now say Merry Christmas, as well as happy holiday, and all other religious phrases. You may not find it unacceptable, but some of us have grown up with the words Merry Christmas, and did not appreciate those words disappearing from our lives. I don't agree with some religious groups, or their methods, but I will stand and fight for this FEDERAL HOLIDAY!

Really? I still see "home for the holidays" all around my Wal-Marts and Target still says Happy Holidays in my area too.

Also, Target sells Hannukah stuff.. I guess you and your buddies should go boycott that too huh?

Caine said:
Really? I still see "home for the holidays" all around my Wal-Marts and Target still says Happy Holidays in my area too.

Also, Target sells Hannukah stuff.. I guess you and your buddies should go boycott that too huh?

Me and my buddies?

You seem angry sir, I never said anything about "Hannukah" I think all religions should be represented, and celebrated, as far as I can tell, all have been. It is only now, that it seem the words Merry Christmas, are under attack, and I ask why? It is a federal holiday, and it specifically says "Christmas" not happy holiday, not seasons greetings, but Christmas. It's hateful individuals like you, that have decided the words must go, and 85% of us are telling you to take a hike, we want Christmas to stay.

Deegan said:
Me and my buddies?

You seem angry sir, I never said anything about "Hannukah" I think all religions should be represented, and celebrated, as far as I can tell, all have been. It is only now, that it seem the words Merry Christmas, are under attack, and I ask why? It is a federal holiday, and it specifically says "Christmas" not happy holiday, not seasons greetings, but Christmas. It's hateful individuals like you, that have decided the words must go, and 85% of us are telling you to take a hike, we want Christmas to stay.

What 85% did your poll come from?
The local TV station did a random person on the street poll, and most people around here, EVEN CHRISTIANS agreed that the president was right in stating Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas due to the diversity of the 1.4 million people who receive the White House's card each year.

Caine said:
What 85% did your poll come from?
The local TV station did a random person on the street poll, and most people around here, EVEN CHRISTIANS agreed that the president was right in stating Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas due to the diversity of the 1.4 million people who receive the White House's card each year.

And if you would read the thread about the WH Christmas cards, I said the very same thing. This is about excluding Merry Christmas from public places, like it's a foul thing, or a contagious disease or something. I believe we have room for everyones choice, and that because it's a federal holiday, it should especially be front and center.

Deegan said:
And if you would read the thread about the WH Christmas cards, I said the very same thing. This is about excluding Merry Christmas from public places, like it's a foul thing, or a contagious disease or something. I believe we have room for everyones choice, and that because it's a federal holiday, it should especially be front and center.

So, your basically telling jews to **** off because thier religion isnt good enough to wish them happiness for...... BUT.... you'll wish them a Merry Christmas because thats what they should be observing anyways right?

Why not be secular and cover everyone by saying Happy Holidays?

I don't understand why this is such a big deal. As for the retail stores go, all that crap about the ACLU means nothing because a private business can do whatever the hell it wants to when it comes to religious symbol and support, because they don't fall under seperation of church and state, but, unfortunately a group of fundamentalist ass Catholics (and baptists too im sure) have to go and cry because they aren't held on a higher platform then everyone else. Boo, Hoo.....Cry me a handful.

Nobody forced these businesses to welcome people of other Religions and Faiths and wish EVERYONE a happy holiday for whatever they might observere.
They did it on thier own, now Christians are trying to force the businesses to "convert" if you will by putting boycots on stores they don't specifically mention christmas. Thats gay, and another reason why I gave up Christianity, fundamentalists have ruined the religion, turning it into something different, and now trying to get thier nose into government and how businesses operate.

I don't know why you keep missing my point, I thought I was very clear, ALL SHOULD BE REPRESENTED, THERE IS ROOM FOR ALL TO BE CELEBRATED!!!!

Now, what part of that do you not understand? Did you know that some stores had "Happy Hanukkah" but did not have Merry Christmas, now what is up with that, would you not think that a little unfair? What is wrong with just having them all, why appease a small section of the country, and fold to their demands, when 85% like to see the words Merry Christmas, not good business, not good sense, period.

Deegan said:
I don't know why you keep missing my point, I thought I was very clear, ALL SHOULD BE REPRESENTED, THERE IS ROOM FOR ALL TO BE CELEBRATED!!!!

Now, what part of that do you not understand? Did you know that some stores had "Happy Hanukkah" but did not have Merry Christmas, now what is up with that, would you not think that a little unfair? What is wrong with just having them all, why appease a small section of the country, and fold to their demands, when 85% like to see the words Merry Christmas, not good business, not good sense, period.

Nah, your misunderstanding me.
I don't mind people saying Merry Christmas, I don't mind they saying Happy Hannukah.
I just dont like people like this Catholic group whining and crying because there are busineses who wish to say Happy Holidays. Or call it the Holiday Season. There is no reason for someone to cry and complain about it. If Wal-Mart or Target choose to say Happy Holidays, let them do it, don't cry about it. Thats all I'm saying. And as for the President, If he wants to be "politically correct" and say Happy Holidays in his cards... Let him...
But the Christians shouldn't whine and cry because they aren't made out to be better than anyone else.

Caine said:
Nah, your misunderstanding me.
I don't mind people saying Merry Christmas, I don't mind they saying Happy Hannukah.
I just dont like people like this Catholic group whining and crying because there are busineses who wish to say Happy Holidays. Or call it the Holiday Season. There is no reason for someone to cry and complain about it. If Wal-Mart or Target choose to say Happy Holidays, let them do it, don't cry about it. Thats all I'm saying. And as for the President, If he wants to be "politically correct" and say Happy Holidays in his cards... Let him...
But the Christians shouldn't whine and cry because they aren't made out to be better than anyone else.

This is where we part company, I believe it is worth fighting for, the holiday in question is indeed Christmas, it is a federal holiday, and celebrated by 85% of the population. If we allow the words to disappear, we may lose Christmas forever, at least in public displays. It's a slippery slope, first they destroy it in stores, then schools, then any public place, pretty soon, Christmas is a distant memory. I won't shop where they don't acknowledge Christmas, it's really just a statement to those who have decided to ignore the holiday, it's all I can do.

Deegan said:
This is where we part company, I believe it is worth fighting for, the holiday in question is indeed Christmas, it is a federal holiday, and celebrated by 85% of the population. If we allow the words to disappear, we may lose Christmas forever, at least in public displays. It's a slippery slope, first they destroy it in stores, then schools, then any public place, pretty soon, Christmas is a distant memory. I won't shop where they don't acknowledge Christmas, it's really just a statement to those who have decided to ignore the holiday, it's all I can do.

Nobody is Ignoring Christmas. They are just including others.
At these stores, I still see Christmas Trees sold... Christmas Cards... Christmas Decorations. Decorations for Nativity displays, the "christmas" colors of Red and Green everywhere. They just use the phrase Happy Holidays. I dont understand what is so wrong with that. They aren't ignoring christmas and christmas will not disappear because people choose to include others as well. You, sir, are indeed angry because Christmas isnt being held on a pedestal above all other religious holidays that occur at the end of the year. I mean, it already is on a pedestal, but, just because the other religious holidays are being included, this is worrying christians for some reason. What do you hear when you go into a mall? Christmas music. You see a Santa Clause and a Rudolph for kids to go talk to. There are stores in malls called the Holiday Store or something, but have Christmas items and nothing else. So, in conclusion, I think the christians who are, need to stop whining because people decide to include others when wishing people a happy holiday season. Christmas is already the main attraction during the year. Just because a few large retail stores decide to use Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas does not mean christmas is going to disappear. It will be around for a VERY.. VERY.. long time.

Caine said:
Nobody is Ignoring Christmas. They are just including others.
At these stores, I still see Christmas Trees sold... Christmas Cards... Christmas Decorations. Decorations for Nativity displays, the "christmas" colors of Red and Green everywhere. They just use the phrase Happy Holidays. I dont understand what is so wrong with that. They aren't ignoring christmas and christmas will not disappear because people choose to include others as well. You, sir, are indeed angry because Christmas isnt being held on a pedestal above all other religious holidays that occur at the end of the year. I mean, it already is on a pedestal, but, just because the other religious holidays are being included, this is worrying christians for some reason. What do you hear when you go into a mall? Christmas music. You see a Santa Clause and a Rudolph for kids to go talk to. There are stores in malls called the Holiday Store or something, but have Christmas items and nothing else. So, in conclusion, I think the christians who are, need to stop whining because people decide to include others when wishing people a happy holiday season. Christmas is already the main attraction during the year. Just because a few large retail stores decide to use Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas does not mean christmas is going to disappear. It will be around for a VERY.. VERY.. long time.

You have just not researched this as much as I have obviously, because it is an attack on Christmas, and it is real. Everything you mentioned, they want to change to holiday, holiday tree, holiday cards, etc, they want the bloody Christ out of it. They want to remove the crosses from the cemeteries at Arlington, this is an all out war on anything Christian, and your obvious anger shows how real the problem is. Some groups are pushy, some have shoved their morals down others throats, but that is not your average Christian, it is a very small percentage, and getting smaller daily.

Read the book "War on Christmas" it will open your eyes, but somehow I don't think you care enough to take the time.

bandaidwoman said:
I used to live in Long Island New York, so the chances were high I would be greeting someone who celebrated Hannukah around this time of year, hence, I used Happy Holidays. Currently my two neighbors are muslim, (one is a pharmacist and the other a basketball coach at Dekalb sshooll systems and his wife is a back up singer for Beyonce) I'm a Diest so I just use Happy Holidays

Oh wow, another Deist! Yeah, it's better to be safe than sorry and end up with an akward situation by just assuming everyone around you is Christian. It depends on where you're living though since if you live in a small Chrtistian town you know pretty much everyone and see them at church. If there is a Jewish family that moves in word would get around and hopefully they would be treated respectfully and get "Happy Holidays".

Deegan said:
You have just not researched this as much as I have obviously, because it is an attack on Christmas, and it is real. Everything you mentioned, they want to change to holiday, holiday tree, holiday cards, etc, they want the bloody Christ out of it. They want to remove the crosses from the cemeteries at Arlington, this is an all out war on anything Christian, and your obvious anger shows how real the problem is. Some groups are pushy, some have shoved their morals down others throats, but that is not your average Christian, it is a very small percentage, and getting smaller daily.

Read the book "War on Christmas" it will open your eyes, but somehow I don't think you care enough to take the time.

If I remember correctly that whole taking-the-crosses-off-of-cemetaries is flat out false. Do you have any reliable sources saying otherwise?

Deegan said:

Who wants to change it to holiday tree? Its a Christmas Tree.
Holiday Cards is a generic term to describe all cards during the holidays.
There are "Christmas Cards" and there are "Chanukkah Cards" ..etc.
We can't call all cards Christmas Cards when they aren't. But if its a christmas card. than its a christmas card.

Christians sure are paranoid, and the groups of fundamentalist christians aren't getting smaller, they are getting larger.

Something being stupid or illogical has never detered the liberal p c crowd. What is the 25th of december ,its Christmas ! its not holiday,day.
Its not just Christmas these people have tried to mess up, even Thanksgiving has become a target. Kids in school know about Thanksgiving,but.They often don't know why the pilgrim came to America or who they were Thanking on Thanksgiving. Even history isnt safe from these fanatics.

Back
Top Bottom