• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

Happy Holidays or Merry Christmas?

• Happy Holidays

Votes: 13 41.9%
  • Merry Christmas

Votes: 15 48.4%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 9.7%

• Total voters
Columbusite said:
If I remember correctly that whole taking-the-crosses-off-of-cemetaries is flat out false. Do you have any reliable sources saying otherwise?

I was watching a news program, and this man, the head of American Atheists was on talking about this issue.....

Atheists File Suit to Remove Christian Roadside
Memorial Crosses in Utah
American Atheists, a First Amendment watchdog group, has filed suit in federal court to remove 12-foot-high Christian crosses on Utah state property erected to supposedly honor highway troopers killed in the line of duty.

The court action filed on behalf of the organization and three other plaintiffs by attorney Brian Barnard argues that the Christian monuments violate the federal and Utah Constitutions, and place government in the position of promoting sectarian religion.

“There are more appropriate and legal ways to honor the memory and sacrifices of law enforcement officers on public property,” said Ellen Johnson, president of American Atheists. “Instead, the state of Utah is putting up large Christian crosses with the official symbol of the State Highway Patrol, and sending the message that the government is promoting the Christian religion.”

Johnson added, “This is unfair to any troopers who may not be Christian, and the many people in Utah who are not Christian and may very well be Atheists or persons with no religious beliefs.”

Dave Silverman, Communications Director for the group, said that the Utah suit will likely be “the first of many” that seek to remove similar crosses from state and federal highway lands.

“We have no argument with memorials or other forms of secular recognition that honor law enforcement officers who have fallen in the line of duty. These men and women are heroes” said Silverman.

The anchor then asked him, "Do you want all crosses off of pubic property, what about the crosses at Arlington" he said there were none, they showed him the thousands, then he said "well if they are there, then they should be removed as well" Now I don't see this happening, not over my dead body anyway, but this is the length these people will go to, to remove everything religious.

Now what say you about this story, do you agree?

Deegan said:
I was watching a news program, and this man, the head of American Atheists was on talking about this issue.....

Memorial Crosses in Utah
American Atheists, a First Amendment watchdog group, has filed suit in federal court to remove 12-foot-high Christian crosses on Utah state property erected to supposedly honor highway troopers killed in the line of duty.

The court action filed on behalf of the organization and three other plaintiffs by attorney Brian Barnard argues that the Christian monuments violate the federal and Utah Constitutions, and place government in the position of promoting sectarian religion.

“There are more appropriate and legal ways to honor the memory and sacrifices of law enforcement officers on public property,” said Ellen Johnson, president of American Atheists. “Instead, the state of Utah is putting up large Christian crosses with the official symbol of the State Highway Patrol, and sending the message that the government is promoting the Christian religion.”

Johnson added, “This is unfair to any troopers who may not be Christian, and the many people in Utah who are not Christian and may very well be Atheists or persons with no religious beliefs.”

Dave Silverman, Communications Director for the group, said that the Utah suit will likely be “the first of many” that seek to remove similar crosses from state and federal highway lands.

“We have no argument with memorials or other forms of secular recognition that honor law enforcement officers who have fallen in the line of duty. These men and women are heroes” said Silverman.

The anchor then asked him, "Do you want all crosses off of pubic property, what about the crosses at Arlington" he said there were none, they showed him the thousands, then he said "well if they are there, then they should be removed as well" Now I don't see this happening, not over my dead body anyway, but this is the length these people will go to, to remove everything religious.

You said "They want to remove the crosses from the cemeteries at Arlington" and then you give me a totally different situation where large crosses were being put up in Utah for all troopers on state property. In this case they are absolutley right. If an individual wants a cross on their own tombstone there's no problem. You're going to have to give me a source for that last bit about Arlington before I even bother.

Columbusite said:
You said "They want to remove the crosses from the cemeteries at Arlington" and then you give me a totally different situation where large crosses were being put up in Utah for all troopers on state property. In this case they are absolutley right. If an individual wants a cross on their own tombstone there's no problem. You're going to have to give me a source for that last bit about Arlington before I even bother.

That is the source, if they want those crosses removed, what is the difference? I said that I heard him say this, and I can't remember which program, but the proofs in the pudding. If they will fight to have these removed, why would Arlington not be next on their hit list. I find it disgusting you would agree with their stance on the cross, as it is an international sign of the dead. What else could they put up to signify their dead relative died here protecting others, a tomb for cris sake?:confused:

Deegan said:

Memorial Crosses in Utah

I agree with the story 100% . If I were a deceased Jewish state trooper - the last think I would want is my family's tax dollars paying for crosses!

God bless those atheists:mrgreen:

hipsterdufus said:
I agree with the story 100% . If I were a deceased Jewish state trooper - the last think I would want is my family's tax dollars paying for crosses!

God bless those atheists:mrgreen:
I won't presume to speak for Jews on this, but I see the crosses here as being a way to remember the sacrifices made by these troopers. The symbols may be of Christian origin, but they are of American cultural sentiment. When looking for a symbol to memorialize someone publicly, the cross is an appropriate symbol and one that would fit the situation. It doesn't mean someone is forcing a religion on you by creating a public memorial. I do see the point about other religions, and would have no problem with the use of a star of David to memorialize a slain trooper of the Jewish faith. Again, though, I don't wish to say that should be done as I don't know the particular significance of that symbol as it may relate to memorials of the deceased.

I am an athiest, and I would have no problem with a memorial in my honor using a cross. It doesn't mean I believe, it does mean someone among the living wants to do something so that others can remember me after I am gone. The cross is entirely appropriate in that situation; and the sentiment behind it is obvious and created out of love and respect. Not as a way of forcing religion down anyone's throat. It is a cultural norm in America, long established and universally practiced by believers and non-believers alike.

And as for Christmas vs happy holidays: I can't wait until holidays gets here, so I can look up under the holiday tree and unwrap my holiday presents while holiday carols are playing on the radio. Can you?...Its Christmas, lighten up about it. Stop getting so upset everytime you drive by a public manger scene or somebody says "Merry Christmas" to you. It won't hurt you, honest.

Deegan said:
That is the source, if they want those crosses removed, what is the difference? I said that I heard him say this, and I can't remember which program, but the proofs in the pudding. If they will fight to have these removed, why would Arlington not be next on their hit list. I find it disgusting you would agree with their stance on the cross, as it is an international sign of the dead. What else could they put up to signify their dead relative died here protecting others, a tomb for cris sake?:confused:

What is "that"? What is your sourse in the first place? I went to the Amrican Atheists website and read about Utah.

"THE (UNCONSTITUTIONAL) CROSS BY THE SIDE OF THE ROAD -- ATHEISTS IN COURT TO REMOVE CHRISTIAN HIGHWAY MEMORIALS

Web Posted: December 5, 2005

American Atheists went to federal court this week to stop the Utah Highway Patrol and the Utah Department of Transportation from erecting large metal Christian crosses on state property that honor state troopers killed in the line of duty.

The petition, filed by constitutional attorney Brian Barnard of the Utah Legal Clinic also seeks immediate removal of existing memorial crosses in six known locations, including a Utah Highway Patrol facility.

"The crosses are intentionally erected by the (Utah Highway Patrol) Association in prominent places visible to the general public," notes the court affidavit. "They are visible to motorists using the adjacent roads and highways owned by the State of Utah... Each cross was erected on real property owned and/or controlled by the State of Utah..."

Joining in the action are three members of American Atheists: Stephen Clark; Utah State Director Michael D. Rivers; and veteran First Amendment activist Richard Andrews.

monthly special The suit seeks $1 in damages, and a ruling from the U.S. District Court that the use of the Utah Highway Patrol logo on the crosses and their presence on government property is illegal. Mr. Barnard argues the practices violate the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution, and a similar provision in the Utah State Constitution.

Defendants include representatives the State Highway Patrol, Utah Department of Transportation and the Department of Administrative Services.

Ellen Johnson, President of American Atheists said that the suit is the first of many that will be filed seeking the removal of other Christian crosses and memorials on public highway right-of-ways in other states.

"It's a growing problem across the country," Johnson told reporters. "We end up with these little Christian shrines everywhere."

Mike Rivers, Utah State Director for American Atheists said that by permitting the crosses on public property, "The state is giving the impression that government is endorsing religion."

"We know that religionists are going to scream about this lawsuit and claim it's an example of discrimination," he added. "But the government has no business promoting one religion over another, or religion in general."

Ironically, the state Transportation Department has a specific regulation prohibiting the placement of religious symbols and shrines on or adjacent to any public highway. It is also state policy to remove the illegal memorials. Citizens may place wildflowers along a road, however, get involved in the Adapt-A-Highway program, or sponsor a "memorial sign" with a secular safety message like "Drowsy Driving Kills."

The several Christian crosses referred to in the Atheist lawsuit were erected by the Utah Highway Patrol Association beginning in the early 1990s. The group is a private, nonprofit organization with the goal of "supporting Utah State Highway Patrol Officers and acknowledging these troopers' service to the people of the State of Utah." It has also been granted the use of the official Utah Highway Patrol logo, which is placed conspicuously on the 12-foot-high crosses erected near the location where troopers died in the line of duty. All of those locations are public property.

That's the constitutional problem according to Mr. Barnard who has filed dozens of First Amendment cases over the years, including legal challenges to public displays of the Ten Commandments.

"The presence of the Latin crosses on government owned property with the Utah Highway Patrol logo prominently displayed thereon has the primary effect to advance religion, and conveys or attempts to convey the message that religion or a particular religious belief is favored or preferred," wrote Barnard. "The reaction of the average receiver of the government communication or average observer of the government action is that of endorsement of religion and particularly of Christianity..."

Jeff Nigbur, a spokesman for the Highway Patrol, told the Deseret Morning News that the cross symbol was selected "because it is the international sign of peace, and it has no religious significance in it." He also maintained that "a large number" of crosses were placed on private property adjacent to public roads.

Barnard described that claim as "less than honest," adding that the Latin cross is a symbol of the Christian religion.

"I don't think there is any question that troopers should be honored. They have given the ultimate sacrifice," said Mr. Barnard. "But they can be honored in a way that doesn't emphasize religion."

As for the property issue, Barnard provided the media and the court with details on the locations of the Christian memorials along with photographs.

Mike Rivers said that the goal of the American Atheists lawsuit was not to stop the honoring of fallen troopers but rather Utah's blatant promotion of sectarian religion.

"We feel the department of transportation, by allowing the Utah Highway Patrol Association to pick a religious symbol is unfair. We think that it should be totally secular with no religious theme."

The claim that the crosses were "nonreligious" didn't sit well with one "self-proclaimed God-fearing American" who talked to the Salt Lake Tribune newspaper, and supports the religious monuments.

David Tabish told the newspaper that the American Atheists suit was just another example of creeping secularization.

"We've taken God out of the schools, out of city council meetings and taken the Ten Commandments out of government," Tabish complained. "It's time we stand up and put God back in our country."

He added that he will be organizing a public march to support the Christian cross memorials, and will picket the federal courthouse when proceedings begin."

http://www.atheists.org/flash.line/utah12.htm

There is a HUGE difference. Just read above. You don't have Athiests taking down crosses off of peoples' grave, but you do have them demanding that crosses put up by the state as memorials with Utah Highway Patrol logos on them and being erected on state property, no less, is inappropriate. That is the difference.

So, you have no proof of what Dave Silverman said (I've contacted him and I will quote what he says), nevermind that there is a disclaimer on his blog "Dave's opinions are not always the opinions of American Atheists, Inc".

You went from "They want to remove the crosses from the cemeteries at Arlington" to "If they will fight to have these removed, why would Arlington not be next on their hit list." In just a couple of posts you went from stating fact to conjecture. And that's all you have to back this up.

As for the cross being "an international sign of the dead", you surely haven't gotten out much (or read much either). Go to any Muslim country and you will not see crosses on graves, but crescents. In fact, I'm pretty sure you will only see crosses on Christian graves which are in countries where there is a large Christian population. It's hardly international, except among Christians. You can put a memorial that says something along the lines of "In the memory of fallen Utah state troppers" in a large letters. I find it disgusting you would have people who AREN'T Christian have a big cross put up in their name posthumously inferring they were Christian. There's something similar that happened in my family which I won't go into here, but suffice it to say I certainly can relate to how these Atheists feel, even though I'm not. I wonder how you would feel if instead it was a huge Muslim crescent being put up by the state to recognize these state troopers and just think how you'd feel if one of them was a Christian relative of yours. I hope you now at least have some empathy.

Top 10 Chanukah Songs That Never Quite Caught On:

Top 10 Chanukah Songs That Never Quite Caught On:

10. Oy To The World

9. Schlepping Through a Winter Wonderland

8. Havah Nagila, The Megamix

7. Bubbie Got Run Over by a Reindeer

6. Enough With Those Jingle Bells, Already!

5. Matzo, Matzo Man (by the Lower East Side Village People)

4. I Have a Little Dreidel (the Barking Dogs version)

3. Come On Baby, Light My Menorah

2. Deck the Halls With Balls of Challah

and, the #1 Chanukah song that never quite caught on ............

1. Silent Night, I Should Be So Lucky!

Deegan said:
You have just not researched this as much as I have obviously, because it is an attack on Christmas, and it is real. Everything you mentioned, they want to change to holiday, holiday tree, holiday cards, etc, they want the bloody Christ out of it. They want to remove the crosses from the cemeteries at Arlington, this is an all out war on anything Christian, and your obvious anger shows how real the problem is. Some groups are pushy, some have shoved their morals down others throats, but that is not your average Christian, it is a very small percentage, and getting smaller daily.

Read the book "War on Christmas" it will open your eyes, but somehow I don't think you care enough to take the time.

I'll tell you what - I'll read your book if you read this one. "Somehow I don't think you care enough to take the time.":mrgreen:

How the Republicans Stole Christmas : The Republican Party's Declared Monopoly on Religion and What Democrats Can Do to Take it Back (Hardcover)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385516053/002-7573805-6698445?v=glance&n=283155

Here's a review:

It's about time someone put this together. Press points out fairly comprehensively the way Christian people in this country have been mislead for many years now. The only reason I gave the book only four stars is because he does tend to revert to "Crossfire"-style hyperbole, etc. and I think this rhetorical style is somewhat distracting because his points are clear and stand on their own: for example, one can indeed actually count the number of verses in the bible that advocate for the poor, etc. and compare them to the number of references to homosexuality. God's emphasis is obvious. We Christians need to put our eyes on scripture and put our faith in the actual Word, and less on what others want us to magnify or gloss over; political liberals need to claim what's rightfully theirs in Scripture. They've gone far too long without confronting conservatives and Republicans with the reality of the Word and holding them accountable. I'm grateful someone mainstream is standing up and pointing this out.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...73805-6698445?_encoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

hipsterdufus said:
I'll tell you what - I'll read your book if you read this one. "Somehow I don't think you care enough to take the time.":mrgreen:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385516053/002-7573805-6698445?v=glance&n=283155

Here's a review:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/cu...73805-6698445?_encoding=UTF8&n=283155&s=books

I already have, now you better get busy, I want a full report by Monday.;)

It is wise to know your enemy, I have read a lot of books that would surprise you.

I don't care whether department stores hang banners saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", but I'll probably be more likely to stop in at the ones who are still inspired at least a little bit by Christmas as well as the almighty dollar. I am boycotting Target not because they use the phrase "Happy Holidays" but because they booted the Salvation Army kettles from their sidewalks and parking lots. Given that the Salvation Army is there to help people who have very little to have a little more for Christmas, I thought it quite selfish and crass for Target to ban the bell ringers.

To avoid the term "Christmas" however is absurd. It might offend Buddhists or Moslems or Jews or athiests? Baloney. If it were not for "Christmas" including the person for which the celebration is named, there would be nothing but Hannukuh, a minor Jewish holiday, and the passing of the Winter solstice to distinguish December from any other month.

For all who do enjoy or benefit from the make-it-or-break-it sales activity, the glorious music, the art. the pagentry, the lights, the trimmings, the festive occasions, the smells, the food, the imagery of Santa Claus, flying reindeer, elves, and Frosty the Snowman, and a bit of comfort knowing that the less fortunate will benefitted in a small way, and those of you who enjoy having a couple of days off work just to enjoy yourselves, then at least by charitable enough to know that it is CHRISTMAS that causes it all to be. And know that "Merry Christmas" is a heartfelt greeting from somebody who loves Christmas and can be returned with a Happy Hannukah or bah humbug as you choose.

The season is due to there being a Christmas. It is entirely hypocritical to attribute it to anything else.

AlbqOwl said:
I don't care whether department stores hang banners saying "Happy Holidays" instead of "Merry Christmas", but I'll probably be more likely to stop in at the ones who are still inspired at least a little bit by Christmas as well as the almighty dollar. I am boycotting Target not because they use the phrase "Happy Holidays" but because they booted the Salvation Army kettles from their sidewalks and parking lots. Given that the Salvation Army is there to help people who have very little to have a little more for Christmas, I thought it quite selfish and crass for Target to ban the bell ringers.

To avoid the term "Christmas" however is absurd. It might offend Buddhists or Moslems or Jews or athiests? Baloney. If it were not for "Christmas" including the person for which the celebration is named, there would be nothing but Hannukuh, a minor Jewish holiday, and the passing of the Winter solstice to distinguish December from any other month.

For all who do enjoy or benefit from the make-it-or-break-it sales activity, the glorious music, the art. the pagentry, the lights, the trimmings, the festive occasions, the smells, the food, the imagery of Santa Claus, flying reindeer, elves, and Frosty the Snowman, and a bit of comfort knowing that the less fortunate will benefitted in a small way, and those of you who enjoy having a couple of days off work just to enjoy yourselves, then at least by charitable enough to know that it is CHRISTMAS that causes it all to be. And know that "Merry Christmas" is a heartfelt greeting from somebody who loves Christmas and can be returned with a Happy Hannukah or bah humbug as you choose.

The season is due to there being a Christmas. It is entirely hypocritical to attribute it to anything else.

Well said, and I did not know about the booting of the S.A, I will have a talk with a few people, as I sell to Target.:shock:

AlbqOwl said:

I do celebrate Christmas, but it's the secular version; Santa Claus, reindeer, a tree, egg nog, giving and recieving gifts, red and green, and Mannheim Steamroller is what Christmas means to me.

Deegan said:
I already have, now you better get busy, I want a full report by Monday.;)

It is wise to know your enemy, I have read a lot of books that would surprise you.

Hey brother - I don't consider you an enemy.
Happy Festivus!

Columbusite said:
I do celebrate Christmas, but it's the secular version; Santa Claus, reindeer, a tree, egg nog, giving and recieving gifts, red and green, and Mannheim Steamroller is what Christmas means to me.

I heard an African American woman on Ed Shultz make an interesting point.
She celebrates Christmas but doesn't want her children to think that the present come from an obese white man (Santa Claus) She wants her children to know that she and her husband work hard to buy their children presents for Christmas.

Interesting point.

hipsterdufus said:
Hey brother - I don't consider you an enemy.
Happy Festivus!

And me, I don't consider you one......yet!

Just don't **** on my Christmas tree, and we can be fast friends, and I'll not try and set one up at your house.;)

As I check in and read some of the posts I am still surprised as to how many people think the "Left Wing" is complaining about this.

This poll has nothing to do with politics as much as you think it does.

This poll has everything to do with bitching, moaning, whining ass catholic groups boycotting businesses for doing what they think is right, under no government restriction or organized influence from some civil rights group. And has everything to do with catholic groups whining and bitching because the white house did the politically correct thing in wording thier holiday season card that is sent to 1.4 million people who could be of any or no faith.

So, for those people who think the "left wing" or athiests are stirring this issue into the news lately... try WATCHING the news. The christians are the ones causing the uproar this time, and for no reason other than to try to keep thier religion up on a holy pedestal above all others during this time of the season.

Oh, yes, and another reason it is Happy HOLIDAYS.. is because The celebration of the new year is also considered a holiday, and usually comes with songs and rituals of its own. So its more than just the Al-mighty Christsian vs. the other Christ-less religions, but also a secular "holiday" like the celebration of the new year... well, the new year on the gregorian calendar anyways.

Target does not target The Salvation Army.;)

Target Solicitation Policy

Target has a long-standing solicitation policy at our stores nationwide. In order to provide a distraction-free shopping environment for our guests, we do not allow solicitation or petitioning at our stores regardless of the cause being represented.

This policy does not diminish Target's support of communities. Target currently gives more than $2 million a week to communities across the country and provides valuable volunteer support to local organizations. Our company has many other means by which it can support organizations whose programs fall within our corporate giving guidelines.

http://sites.target.com/site/en/corporate/page.jsp?contentId=PRD03-001336

Has anyone curtailed or altered their holiday activities, whether they say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

BWG said:
Target does not target The Salvation Army.;)

Target Solicitation Policy

Target has a long-standing solicitation policy at our stores nationwide. In order to provide a distraction-free shopping environment for our guests, we do not allow solicitation or petitioning at our stores regardless of the cause being represented.

This policy does not diminish Target's support of communities. Target currently gives more than $2 million a week to communities across the country and provides valuable volunteer support to local organizations. Our company has many other means by which it can support organizations whose programs fall within our corporate giving guidelines.

http://sites.target.com/site/en/corporate/page.jsp?contentId=PRD03-001336

Has anyone curtailed or altered their holiday activities, whether they say Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays?

Yeah and pigs fly in Missouri, too. Would you expect them to put out a promo that they dislike the Salvation Army? I went to the local store last year when the kettles were first kicked off premises and was advised that this is Target's new policy because a few customers disliked having to walk past the kettles on their way in and out of the stores.

Now honestly, if the presence of a Salvation Army kettle makes anybody feel uncomfortable, I suggest they volunteer to spend some time helping out on the soup lines over the holidays. They really really need to do that. And if the presence of a Salvation Army bell ringer is a 'distraction', then these stores have far more problems than bell ringers. I wonder how much distraction it would be for me to stand outside Target stores and hand out flyers suggesting people go hunt out the stores that do welcome efforts to help the less fortunate during the holiday season?

AlbqOwl said:
Yeah and pigs fly in Missouri, too. Would you expect them to put out a promo that they dislike the Salvation Army? I went to the local store last year when the kettles were first kicked off premises and was advised that this is Target's new policy because a few customers disliked having to walk past the kettles on their way in and out of the stores.

Now honestly, if the presence of a Salvation Army kettle makes anybody feel uncomfortable, I suggest they volunteer to spend some time helping out on the soup lines over the holidays. They really really need to do that. And if the presence of a Salvation Army bell ringer is a 'distraction', then these stores have far more problems than bell ringers. I wonder how much distraction it would be for me to stand outside Target stores and hand out flyers suggesting people go hunt out the stores that do welcome efforts to help the less fortunate during the holiday season?

I agree, the one thing the man ringing the bell does......is make you think about others, before you go drop a wad in Target. Target obviously sees this, and that money lost in the bucket(and not just the change, but the change of mind. Maybe I'll spend less here, and give to another more meaningful charity)is certainly not something that can written off on their next tax return! It's nice to be able to just draw up a legal form, and just have this do all the talking for you, I need a tad bit more then that.

F**K YOU Target!:2wave:

P.S Merry Christmas you miserable f**ks.;)

I have to take Target's side on this one. I have nothing against the Salvation Army, I think they are a wonderful charity (much better than the Red Cross, in my opinion), but I don't enjoy being harassed as I'm trying to enter the store. Not all of the volunteers harass people, but if I'm going to make a donation, I'm going to do it on my own, not because they ask me five times.

Not to mention, if I've got a headache, those bells are the last thing I want to hear. :2razz:

Deegan said:
P.S Merry Christmas you miserable f**ks.;)

Couldn't you just have said Merry Christmas and left it at that? There's no need to be so rude.

Well as far as I am aware, there are more than one holiday during the season. So Happy holidays would be more appropriate.

I think the whole thing is just dispicable, don't these people have better use of thier time than to fiddle with such bulls__t?

I'm sick and tired of these people that get offended over nothing. They seriously need to get thier heads out of thier a__'s

Caine said:
There has been alot of talk on the news lately about Catholic groups getting mad because retail stores have been catering to people of all faiths by using Happy Holidays instead of saying Merry Christmas. Even the President has taken heat due to using Happy Holidays in the White House seasonal greeting card this year. So, which do you think most people should say? Happy Holidays? or Merry Christmas?

The way I look at is since the department stores are profiting because of Christmas then they should acknowledge that it is christmas.I think all this horse **** about being offended by someone saying merry Christmas is a load of horse ****.I have no problem with someone greeting me happy hanukkah,I expect them to not have a problem when I say merry Christmas.

Deegan said:
And me, I don't consider you one......yet!

Just don't **** on my Christmas tree, and we can be fast friends, and I'll not try and set one up at your house.;)

Yo - I'm hacking down a live Christmas tree Sunday. I love Christmas! For me, it's all about the children.

I just think it's idiotic to assume everyone celebrates it.

I can't wait till we start forcing Merry Christmas down the throat of the Iraqi's :roll:

People! You can say whatever you like. Why do you care what a private business says? It seems that the people making a big deal out of this are afraid that they are losing the free exclusive marketing of their brand of religion. Religion is all about marketing. 90% of religious traditions have nothing to do with their higher power. They are marketing tools under the guise of symbolism. Happy Holidays!

Here's Jon Stewart's take on the issue after Bill O'Really slammed Comedy Central:

STEWART: If Bill O'Reilly needs to have an enemy, needs to feel persecuted, you know what? Here's my Kwanzaa gift to him. Are you ready? All right. I'm your enemy. Make me your enemy. I, Jon Stewart, hate Christmas, Christians, Jews, morality, and I will not rest until every year families gather to spend December 25th together at Osama's homo-abortion-pot-and-commie-jizzporium.

Back
Top Bottom