• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Happy Canada Day, eh?

**** Canada! It's a goddamn hellhole up there! :)

Love Canada and Canadians. Might even move up there at some point in the future. Prince Rupert or Vancouver Island are most tempting.

Love Canada and Canadians. Might even move up there at some point in the future. Prince Rupert or Vancouver Island are most tempting.

Vancouver Island is beautiful. The fishing is pretty good there, too.

Happy Canada Day! I'm wearing a Canadian T-shirt I got the first time I was in Toronto to pay homage :2canadian

Yes, you live in LA? please completely bypass Oregon and Washington, leaving the country has my vote

I'd move there in a heartbeat if it wasn't so damn cold.

Of course they still belonged to Britain until 1982

Kinda sorta. There are three major years in Canadian history: 1867, 1933, and 1982. 1867 was when we became a dominion and we ran our own affairs largely independent from the Crown but Britain still controlled things like foreign policy and the highest appeals court was in the UK. Then in 1933 with the Statue of Westminster we gained pretty much all of the powers of an independent nation except that we could not modify our own constitution technically, along with countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, etc.. What would have to happen was the Canadian parliament would have to pass it then it would have to to be rubber stamped by the UK parliament to amend the British North America Act as our constitution was British legislation. But in 1982 the Constitution was repatriated with the Constitution Act, 1982.

Well the last few days I have been avoiding going outside because it is too damn hot.

It's been over a hundred every day so far this week. It's supposed to cool down all the way into the high 90s this weekend, whoop ti do! Canada is looking better and better. Anyway, up there 104 is only 40.

It's been over a hundred every day so far this week. It's supposed to cool down all the way into the high 90s this weekend, whoop ti do! Canada is looking better and better. Anyway, up there 104 is only 40.

It has been hovering around 86F here, which is too damn hot to do anything.

I love Canada, except for the climate and politics. Half my family lives there.

Is it possible for non-citizens to own property there? Maybe I'll get a summer home there when I retire.

Is it possible for non-citizens to own property there? Maybe I'll get a summer home there when I retire.

I don't know if you can own property without citizenship or not but I'd like to live closer to my sister, without needing a passport or visa.

It might be possible to own property? I think Canadians own homes in Florida because there are many snowbirds that winder down there. From my understanding we have a special travel agreements that allows us to visit and stay in each other's countries 180 days in a year without the need for a visa. I considered moving there because I love Toronto and have some of my best friends that live there, but the taxes are high, the dollar is weak and jobs typically pay lower than back here in the US.

It is, and is actually a big point of contention in Vancouver and Toronto.

It might be possible to own property? I think Canadians own homes in Florida because there are many snowbirds that winder down there. From my understanding we have a special travel agreements that allows us to visit and stay in each other's countries 180 days in a year without the need for a visa. I considered moving there because I love Toronto and have some of my best friends that live there, but the taxes are high, the dollar is weak and jobs typically pay lower than back here in the US.

Toronto is also a very expensive city to live in as housing prices have exploded. The average house price in the City of Toronto is now over 1 million.

Toronto is also a very expensive city to live in as housing prices have exploded. The average house price in the City of Toronto is now over 1 million.

Yea, my sister says it's average $2200 rent for a one bedroom in Quebec. That's normal for NYC or San Fran but not Florida where I live.

How about Quebec Ontario?

Wait, what? Montreal and Quebec City are fine but Toronto and in particular Vancouver have seen prices explode mainly due to insufficient regulation and wealthy foreigners buying a glut of homes then not living in them but causing prices to skyrocket and drive Canadians out of the market.

Yea, my sister says it's average $2200 rent for a one bedroom in Quebec. That's normal for NYC or San Fran but not Florida where I live.

In Westmount maybe. In Montreal and Quebec City prices are cheap unless you live right in the middle of downtown. That is Toronto or Vancouver prices but unlike NYC or San Francisco we do not get salaries to match.

Back
Top Bottom