• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hanukkah is approaching

Who has taken part in a Hanukka celebration?

• I have

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • I have not

Votes: 6 66.7%

• Total voters

Rumpel

Gewürztraminer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Hanukkah is approaching

Hanukkah is observed for eight nights and days, starting on the 25th day of Kislev according to the Hebrew calendar, which may occur at any time from late November to late December in the Gregorian calendar. The festival is observed by lighting the candles of a candelabrum with nine branches, called a menorah (or hanukkiah). One branch is typically placed above or below the others and its candle is used to light the other eight candles. This unique candle is called the shamash (Hebrew: שַׁמָּשׁ‎, "attendant"). Each night, one additional candle is lit by the shamash until all eight candles are lit together on the final night of the festival.[2] Other Hanukkah festivities include playing the game of dreidel and eating oil-based foods, such as latkes and sufganiyot, and dairy foods. Since the 1970s, the worldwide Chabad Hasidic movement has initiated public menorah lightings in open public places in many countries.[3]

Although a relatively minor holiday in strictly religious terms, Hanukkah has attained major cultural significance in North America and elsewhere among secular Jews as a Jewish alternative to Christmas, and is often celebrated correspondingly fervently.

Hanukkah - Wikipedia

Hanukkah is approaching - have you taken part in a Hanukka celebretion yet?

I have

zyzygy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This wild rock and roll lifestyle will be the death of you! Only joking, and I have never taken part in such a celebration.

MaryP

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
No, but if anyone invited me to one and they had latkes, I'd be there. I love the menorrah--always been partial to candles as part of the winter celebrations. It's a cool story, too, kind of loaves and fishes but not on such a grand scale.

When my son was in Kindergarten, he was the dreidel in the holiday concert. It was the first I'd ever heard of it at the time. When he came home and told me what part he had, I figured he had screwed up the name someway. Lol. A neighbor filled me in.

Rumpel

Gewürztraminer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
one have

and

one have not

---------------------

It is a pleasant festival!

lwf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

lwf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Not that I know of.

September is NOT December.

Now I'm really confused. You said you have already taken part in a Hanukkah celebration?

Rumpel

Gewürztraminer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Now I'm really confused. You said you have already taken part in a Hanukkah celebration?

NOT IN 2020!

In the years before!

In my lifetime!

I was not born yesterday!

RAMOSS

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed

Rumpel

Gewürztraminer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
75 views now - more at Hanukkah then, I think.

lwf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent

Rumpel

Gewürztraminer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
:lamo

I get it now. My mistake.

Verily verily I say unto thee: There is no year when there is no Hanukkah! :peace
Last year, this year, next year! ):

Rumpel

Gewürztraminer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Soon there will be October - and Hannukah will be nearer again.

Top Bottom