• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hank Azaria apologises ‘to every Indian person’ for voicing Apu in The Simpsons

Respect is earned though. Not given to someone for shrieking about how awful White people and burning down the block every time some moron criminal has a negative encounter with Law Enforcement.

I know you wont take my word for it, but you should. Right now if you are looking for "respect": YOU'RE DOING IT EXACTLY WRONG.

You don’t believe that though. When you walk into public places, you do not expect people to mock the way you look, the way you talk, etc. If they did, you would be super upset. You expect respect for you and yours on a basic level every single day you’ve been alive on this Earth.

Respect for a human being’s dignity is not the same as respect for them as an individual reviewing their accomplishments in life.

He does not hate himself, he respects the feelings of the Indian community.
How do you know the 'feelings of the Indian community' were hurt in any way? Maybe they recognized it as humor just like every other normal person. Is hank Azaria going to apologize to Hillbillies for his Cletus voice? Its every bit as over the top and stereotypical as his Apu voice. Do you think Dan Castellaneta should apologize to white people for his portrayal of Homer Simpson. Should women be offended by the character of Marge? Should gays be offended by the portrayal of Smithers? And what the hell good does his apology do anyway? If he really cared, any episode with Apu should be removed form the air or have a new voiceover done for the character, right?

He does not hate himself, he respects the feelings of the Indian community. And to have someone voice an Indian character with the most over the top Indian accent and all the other "Indian things" (numerous kids, his family all working in his story, prayer to Indian gods, etc. etc. etc. etc.) might be hurtful for Indians and does a disservice to the Simpson cartoon show.

And your comparison to global warming is just nonsensical at best.

I see southern white people being characterized as redneck hicks all the time on the Simpsons. Do I go around then complaining and crying racism? No I don't because it's just a cartoon ffs. Lighten up people.

13baf38bf7be8cd500553b887e85d382.png

The actor Hank Azaria has apologised “to every single Indian person” for his portrayal of Apu in The Simpsons.

Azaria, who is white, voiced the role of the Indian American shopkeeper from the show’s inception in 1989 but stood down last year amid criticism of racial stereotyping. He said he was willing to be held accountable for its “negative consequences”.

Speaking on Monday on the Armchair Expert podcast hosted by the actors Dax Shepard and Monica Padman, who is Indian American, Azaria, 56, said that though he believed the show was founded on good intentions, it contributed to the “structural racism” in the US.
====================================================================================
Good thought. The Apu character works in every 7/11 store here in the NE.

The actor Hank Azaria has apologised “to every single Indian person” for his portrayal of Apu in The Simpsons.

Azaria, who is white, voiced the role of the Indian American shopkeeper from the show’s inception in 1989 but stood down last year amid criticism of racial stereotyping. He said he was willing to be held accountable for its “negative consequences”.

Speaking on Monday on the Armchair Expert podcast hosted by the actors Dax Shepard and Monica Padman, who is Indian American, Azaria, 56, said that though he believed the show was founded on good intentions, it contributed to the “structural racism” in the US.
====================================================================================

I bet your statement is a false, but since Joe Biden said something like that you must too.

How do you know the 'feelings of the Indian community' were hurt in any way? Maybe they recognized it as humor just like every other normal person. Is hank Azaria going to apologize to Hillbillies for his Cletus voice? Its every bit as over the top and stereotypical as his Apu voice. Do you think Dan Castellaneta should apologize to white people for his portrayal of Homer Simpson. Should women be offended by the character of Marge? Should gays be offended by the portrayal of Smithers? And what the hell good does his apology do anyway? If he really cared, any episode with Apu should be removed form the air or have a new voiceover done for the character, right?

Wasn't aware Cletus was from another race. There was even a documentary called "the problem with Apu" about the racist depiction of Apu.

I see nothing wrong with the APU character any different that looking for reasons to be more offended by Homer's depiction of white people.

I see southern white people being characterized as redneck hicks all the time on the Simpsons. Do I go around then complaining and crying racism? No I don't because it's just a cartoon ffs. Lighten up people.

View attachment 67328514

Cletus still an American, and there are other extreme depictions of American people in the US. Apu however isn't an "American" but an Indian immigrant.

I think Azaria just offered himself up to be cancelled by the cancel mob. That generally seems like how this works.

Is an apology enough? Why not remove him from the show. In fact why not remove the show from the air. It is full unflattering stereotypes. That is what the show is.

Is an apology enough? Why not remove him from the show. In fact why not remove the show from the air. It is full unflattering stereotypes. That is what the show is.
Logically this should also include the cancel mob canceling the show's writers and producers too, wouldn't it?

Logically this should also include the cancel mob canceling the show's writers and producers too, wouldn't it?
Them and South Park. Both shows capitalize on being intentionally offensive.

Them and South Park. Both shows capitalize on being intentionally offensive.
Yeah, that's true, so all the South Park actors, writers and producers need to be cancelled by the cancel mob as well.

Boy, the cancel mob is really going to be busy. They'd better get on it right now.

The ironic--and somewhat comical--element in all of this is that shows originally put in characters from a wide variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds in an effort to promote diversity.

Now that it's "racist stereotyping" to depict any non-white character as having a cultural or ethnic identity distinct from mainstream Westernism, modern programming is going to have to tear out anything foreign in nature to avoid being dismantled by cancel culture.

What a total wimp self hating white person. He thinks everybody needs to apologize to everyone else for just for being alive. He's breathing out CO2 gas also so maybe he should also apologize for contributing to global warming.
He was paid handsomely for mocking Indian people. Adults apologize when they realize they were wrong. Hopefully he donates some of that money to a good cause.

The ironic--and somewhat comical--element in all of this is that shows originally put in characters from a wide variety of cultural and ethnic backgrounds in an effort to promote diversity.

Now that it's "racist stereotyping" to depict any non-white character as having a cultural or ethnic identity distinct from mainstream Westernism, modern programming is going to have to tear out anything foreign in nature to avoid being dismantled by cancel culture.
No, the point was they should have hired an Indian to play the Indian.

Ive seen a guy from (or at least i think i remember him saying he was from saudi arabia) do a good indian accent. Ownage pranks :p

They'll strip the flesh from his very bones.
Yup. Such simply wonderful people we have making these decisions for the entire culture. :rolleyes:

They even made fun of themselves on the issue.

He was paid handsomely for mocking Indian people. Adults apologize when they realize they were wrong. Hopefully he donates some of that money to a good cause.

It's not mocking Indians if it's funny. Unless you believe Indians can't have a sense of humor. What about Moe the bartender? He's a white guy ridiculed for being a loser. Do I as a white person take offense? No because I realize it's just a cartoon show.

By the way, you guys are kind of all over the place about being offended by white characters, here. Homer? Cletus? Moe? Pick one. Because they are all portrayed differently.

Its gotten rather hilarious.
No, it's getting normal. Did you not find it odd back in the day that white guys played Charlie Chan and Genghis Khan and Michael Jackson?
Sidney%2BToler%2Bas%2BCharlie%2BChan.jpg

80f2865da526509a-600x338.jpg

efc5ccf681892584-600x338.jpg

OK, the last one sort of makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom