• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hank Azaria apologises ‘to every Indian person’ for voicing Apu in The Simpsons

200.gif
Well you actually stopped using ad homs and now switched to silly internet memes LOL!

Well, do a search on my posts in this thread and you will find my answer, the only thing I did not answer was the voice of Darth Vader because that is a fantasy figure, who cares if a voice actor for a fantasy movie was done by a black person? It is not like I am going to be complaining that a green person did not voice Jar Jar Binks, or an ape like creature did not voice wookies.
Well if youre not going to complain about it then its still hypocrisy, because theyre not authentic aliens or otherwise.

Well you actually stopped using ad homs and now switched to silly internet memes LOL!

Well if youre not going to complain about it then its still hypocrisy, because theyre not authentic aliens or otherwise
Great more nonsense, noted

The goal is to troll everyone out of the thread so it looks like @PoS got the last word and "won".

He knows exactly how stupid and dishonest it was of him to say this:
Hank Azaria is apologizing because he knows its the only way for him to ever get new work in Hollywood.
Then say this:
We dont know what his private thoughts are, and for you to claim to know it is a lie.
If he ever gives a direct and honest response to a post, I might just start looking into religion.

Last edited:
It is not, because the Simpsons is a cartoon, which is pretty much on the same level as fantasy, so your fauxrage at Azaria portraying such a character is hypocritical.

The goal is to troll everyone out of the thread so it looks like @PoS got the last word and "won".

Then say this:

If he ever gives a direct and honest response to a post, I might just start looking into religion.
And he talks about me again because he cant argue the subject matter. You must hold the Guinness Book of World Records when it comes to fallacies.

It is not, because the Simpsons is a cartoon, which is pretty much on the same level as fantasy, so your fauxrage at Azaria portraying such a character is hypocritical.

And he talks about me again because he cant argue the subject matter. You must hold the Guinness Book of World Records when it comes to fallacies.
So Hillbilly's are extra terrestrial science fiction beings? More nonsense.

Ever seen a gungan? Nope because they are made up. The Simpsons might make figures extra extreme but they are still human beings you can encounter on this planet. In science fiction that is not possible.

Hank Azaria is apologizing because he knows its the only way for him to ever get new work in Hollywood.
Then say this:
We dont know what his private thoughts are, and for you to claim to know it is a lie.

^^​

Seriously..... what do you even think you're doing at this point?

So Hillbilly's are extra terrestrial science fiction beings? More nonsense.

Ever seen a gungan? Nope because they are made up. The Simpsons might make figures extra extreme but they are still human beings you can encounter on this planet. In science fiction that is not possible.
The Simpsons is still a cartoon, nobody thinks its realistic in any way, shape or form. Its satire and comedy, not meant to be taken seriously.

^^​

Seriously..... what do you even think you're doing at this point?
LOL claims Im trying to put in the last word, yet does the same thing.

Try and read this, it'll help since you do it all the time:

The Simpsons is still a cartoon, nobody thinks its realistic in any way, shape or form. Its satire and comedy, not meant to be taken seriously.

LOL claims Im trying to put in the last word, yet does the same thing.

Try and read this, it'll help since you do it all the time:

Satire is nothing like SciFi.

A cartoon satire is pretty much fantasy. Im sure you know that.
Satire, a rich Texan

The_Rich_texan_tapped_outNoBack_(1).jpg

Scifi, Jar Jar Binks

Jjportrait.jpg

One an exaggeration of a person to comical effect, one a scifi being that does not exist and can be either comical or the exact opposite. Nobody would mistake Admiral Ackbar for a comical figure

Ackbar_CloseUp.jpg

Satire and fantasy are pretty much the same thing. You have a double standard, for you race is important for satire, but not for fantasy.
Wrong, as ever. Satire is not the same thing as science fiction. So I do not have a double standard, you just do not know the difference between voicing an actual person and voicing a science fiction thing (doesn't need to be a person, robot, Jabba the Hut).

Wrong, as ever. Satire is not the same thing as science fiction. So I do not have a double standard, you just do not know the difference between voicing an actual person and voicing a science fiction thing (doesn't need to be a person, robot, Jabba the Hut).
The Simpsons is a cartoon. Get it? A cartoon! Nothing more than a bunch of animated lines, yet you rage against someone impersonating an Indian (and who isn't a bad character), but perfectly okay with someone impersonating something else with a rubber mask. Its a textbook definition of double standard.

I would think Indians are much more preoccupied by the hundreds of much greater problems.

I would think Indians are much more preoccupied by the hundreds of much greater problems.
Many appreciate Azaria’s sentiment but otherwise don’t think about it too much. After all, a great many Indians are familiar with hearing other Indians with British accents and thinking nothing of it. Frankly, this is mostly about white Americans—probably males—working through their hang ups or trying to spin Azaria’s comments at someone other than them as part of some narrative they want to push. Those people unnecessarily spend a LOT of mental energy on some weird stuff, as this thread can attest to.

Many appreciate Azaria’s sentiment but otherwise don’t think about it too much. After all, a great many Indians are familiar with hearing other Indians with British accents and thinking nothing of it. Frankly, this is mostly about white Americans—probably males—working through their hang ups. Those people unnecessarily spend a LOT of mental energy on some weird stuff, as this thread can attest to.
Yes, this is a testament to the pettiness of first world problems.

If one were to go to Calcutta, one would be hard pressed to find anyone for whom this even registers as an issue.

Last edited:
Yr

Yes, this is a testament to the pettiness of first world problems.

If one were to go to Calcutta, one would be hard pressed to find anyone for whom this even registers as an issue.
About half of my extended family is from India and the most common grievance is that Apu is not a doctor or engineer. The accent or general depiction doesn’t even raise a hair.

About half of my extended family is from India and the most common grievance is that Apu is not a doctor or engineer. The accent or general depiction doesn’t even raise a hair.
Also groundskeeper Willie is not presented in any way that is flattering to Scots. Should they be upset by this depiction?

Last edited:
I dunno. Ask a Scot?
I’ve met a lot of Scots and it is half of my heritage.
I can’t imagine a Scot investing any time getting all butt hurt about this kind of thing.
Are Indians offended or is this one of those things where whites have decided to aggressively virtue signal?

I’ve met a lot of Scots and it is half of my heritage.
I can’t imagine a Scot investing any time getting all butt hurt about this kind of thing.
Are Indians offended or is this one of those things where whites have decided to aggressively virtue signal?
My experience (obviously cannot be representative of a population) is that people are mostly offended by depictions that play to negative stereotypes. When it comes to “white guy working the accent” I don’t know ANYONE who cares about the voice actor’s ethnicity. So from that perspective, i don’t think many are seriously offended. Now that said, a buddy of mine had parents who ran gas stations. They are ok with Apu. Most of my own relatives are hard science folks so while they have absolutely no concern about or even interest in Hank Azaria or his role in all this, they’ll look at Apu and feel a bit offended wondering “why does the prominent depiction of an Indian not reflect our advanced degrees etc?” Me… i understand that concern but won’t choose to amplify it much because, well, it’s entertainment. Engineers and doctors are boring. Apu at least has shenanigans.

minorities e.g. Indians are going to be far more offended by movies like Slumdog Millionaire e.g. “why does the most prominent Western depiction of our people focus so much on the slums, and not on our probes to the moon?” and while I personally understand that sentiment as well, I usually try to offer the counterpoint of Jerry Springer e.g. Americans celebrate their own idiocy so don’t get too bent about their depicting yours as well. This,kind of thinking usually puts pragmatic people at ease.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom