• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hank Azaria apologises ‘to every Indian person’ for voicing Apu in The Simpsons

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive

The actor Hank Azaria has apologised “to every single Indian person” for his portrayal of Apu in The Simpsons.

Azaria, who is white, voiced the role of the Indian American shopkeeper from the show’s inception in 1989 but stood down last year amid criticism of racial stereotyping. He said he was willing to be held accountable for its “negative consequences”.

Speaking on Monday on the Armchair Expert podcast hosted by the actors Dax Shepard and Monica Padman, who is Indian American, Azaria, 56, said that though he believed the show was founded on good intentions, it contributed to the “structural racism” in the US.
====================================================================================
Good thought. The Apu character works in every 7/11 store here in the NE.

What a total wimp self hating white person. He thinks everybody needs to apologize to everyone else for just for being alive. He's breathing out CO2 gas also so maybe he should also apologize for contributing to global warming.

The actor Hank Azaria has apologised “to every single Indian person” for his portrayal of Apu in The Simpsons.

Azaria, who is white, voiced the role of the Indian American shopkeeper from the show’s inception in 1989 but stood down last year amid criticism of racial stereotyping. He said he was willing to be held accountable for its “negative consequences”.

Speaking on Monday on the Armchair Expert podcast hosted by the actors Dax Shepard and Monica Padman, who is Indian American, Azaria, 56, said that though he believed the show was founded on good intentions, it contributed to the “structural racism” in the US.
====================================================================================
Good thought. The Apu character works in every 7/11 store here in the NE.

My cardiologist is an Indian guy.
Sounds exactly like Apu, lol. Just saw him Monday, great guy and doctor actually.

But: thats what Indian people sound like. It is a stereotype of an Indian convenience store clerk...but the whole reason things become "stereotypes" to begin with is: THERE ARE A LOT OF INCIDENTS OF INDIAN CLERKS, lol.

The world has gone bonkers. What is the endgame? I have no idea. Anyone who looks around though and is seeing this hyper PC crap as "improving things" hasn't thought it through very well IMO.

Joe Biden: "You can not go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Doughnuts unless you have a slight Indian accent." I think he meant you can't work at a 7-Eleven or Dunkin' Doughnuts.

Its gotten rather hilarious.

My cardiologist is an Indian guy.
Sounds exactly like Apu, lol. Just saw him Monday, great guy and doctor actually.

But: thats what Indian people sound like. It is a stereotype of an Indian convenience store clerk...but the whole reason things become "stereotypes" to begin with is: THERE ARE A LOT OF INCIDENTS OF INDIAN CLERKS, lol.

The world has gone bonkers. What is the endgame? I have no idea. Anyone who looks around though and is seeing this hyper PC crap as "improving things" hasn't thought it through very well IMO.

Respect and dignity for others.

Has me thinking about how Seth MacFarlane and his disgusting white human privilege voices Brian Griffin, a dog. Only a dog should be the voice of a dog in a cartoon.
Oh the potential here is endless. Dustin Hoffman owes an apology for his role in Rain Man. That gay character on Modern Family...oh man...they should pull that entire series. Sean Penn...well...no...I'm pretty sure he is retarded so he gets a pass for I am Sam.

I wonder if their committmen runs so deep that they are willing to donate all the money they earned in those roles to charities.

Oh the potential here is endless. Dustin Hoffman owes an apology for his role in Rain Man. That gay character on Modern Family...oh man...they should pull that entire series. Sean Penn...well...no...I'm pretty sure he is retarded so he gets a pass for I am Sam.

I wonder if their committmen runs so deep that they are willing to donate all the money they earned in those roles to charities.

I think you guys get so angry at this stuff because you see society changing and your attitudes are on the outs. So you’re scared.

Has me thinking about how Seth MacFarlane and his disgusting white human privilege voices Brian Griffin, a dog. Only a dog should be the voice of a dog in a cartoon.

You need more to complain about. Is this is the mark of conservatism: a popular cartoon show pisses you off?

It’s time to talk about Robert Downey Jr’s role in Tropic Thunder .

You need more to complain about. Is this is the mark of conservatism: a popular cartoon show pisses you off?

IT’s kinda weird how personally they’re taking this. Weird.

I think the apology was completely unnecessary.

However, maybe Hank was getting a ton of flack about it and thought it was his best chance to mend fences.

I don’t hold it against Hank, but it seems really silly for people to insist it was something that needed to be done.

It’s time to talk about Robert Downey Jr’s role in Tropic Thunder .

Tropic Thunder is the answer to the ubiquitous, decades long complaint that Blazing Saddles couldn't be made in contemporary America.

"Thank you. Come again."

What a total wimp self hating white person. He thinks everybody needs to apologize to everyone else for just for being alive. He's breathing out CO2 gas also so maybe he should also apologize for contributing to global warming.

He does not hate himself, he respects the feelings of the Indian community. And to have someone voice an Indian character with the most over the top Indian accent and all the other "Indian things" (numerous kids, his family all working in his story, prayer to Indian gods, etc. etc. etc. etc.) might be hurtful for Indians and does a disservice to the Simpson cartoon show.

And your comparison to global warming is just nonsensical at best.

Except a dog does not have a dog accent, last time I checked Brian spoke with normal accent for that area. Why does people wanting to respect the feelings of others often create such ridiculous responses about things that have nothing to do with the "white guy making fun of Indian accent" issue? Are some conservatives so fearful of respecting the feelings of other races/nations that they go over the top anything like this is discussed?

Azaria does not want to do the voice anymore, big deal.

Tropic Thunder is the answer to the ubiquitous, decades long complaint that Blazing Saddles couldn't be made in contemporary America.

Blazing saddles was a sarcastic comedy about how the race issue was in the old time west, and if Mel Brooks was young today he might still make that movie. It is just a hilarious movie, like them wanting to accept the blacks, the chinese but not the Irish in their town was just hilarious. It was a parody on cowboy movies with a hint of poking fun at the world and racist issues.

Except a dog does not have a dog accent, last time I checked Brian spoke with normal accent for that area. Why does people wanting to respect the feelings of others often create such ridiculous responses about things that have nothing to do with the "white guy making fun of Indian accent" issue? Are some conservatives so fearful of respecting the feelings of other races/nations that they go over the top anything like this is discussed?

Azaria does not want to do the voice anymore, big deal.
So all of these years he was making fun of Indian people?

Respect and dignity for others.

Respect is earned though. Not given to someone for shrieking about how awful White people and burning down the block every time some moron criminal has a negative encounter with Law Enforcement.

I know you wont take my word for it, but you should. Right now if you are looking for "respect": YOU'RE DOING IT EXACTLY WRONG.

Back
Top Bottom