• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Handgun freeze in Canada and five-round limit on magazines

What country would elect a PM who wears false eyebrows. You got it, Canada the nanny state. Beer is $45 a case, cigarettes are $14 a pack and now they are imposing controls for a problem that don't exist.

Trudeau’s campaign was not on a handgun ban, this is silly, he tried to run on coronavirus. The regulatory scheme on handguns was not a major issue in that campaign.

In might

I’m sure the same thing was thought about the long gun registry.

The Canadian public broadly does not care to see a handgun ban. They may not care if it gets passed either. You seem to think that the Canadian public has the mindset of zealous anti-gun activists, and in fact that is not true either
You clearly don't have all the facts but that is not surprising given the fact Canadian news isn't up there with "news at 11"

.Bill C21 is not new it was brought forth in April 2021 as a result of a campaign promise Trudeau made. That version enabled Provinces and municipalities to enact handgun bans. A snap election paused all legislation and Trudeau strengthened his commitment to a national ban. It definitely was not the issue that got him elected but it most certainly was NOT a promise that defeated him. Facts are Canadians dont care one way or the other about a handgun ban because very few people own them and if they do you can't carry them outside of your home and if you have then inside your home they must be secured. Those that have them at grandfathered

I know it's hard for some Americans to get their head around our attitude towards gun ownership because it is as equally hard for us to get our heads around yours.

What country would elect a PM who wears false eyebrows. You got it, Canada the nanny state. Beer is $45 a case, cigarettes are $14 a pack and now they are imposing controls for a problem that don't exist.
*Doesn't.

Smoking is bad for you.

You clearly don't have all the facts but that is not surprising given the fact Canadian news isn't up there with "news at 11"

.Bill C21 is not new it was brought forth in April 2021 as a result of a campaign promise Trudeau made. That version enabled Provinces and municipalities to enact handgun bans. A snap election paused all legislation and Trudeau strengthened his commitment to a national ban. It definitely was not the issue that got him elected but it most certainly was NOT a promise that defeated him. Facts are Canadians dont care one way or the other about a handgun ban because very few people own them and if they do you can't carry them outside of your home and if you have then inside your home they must be secured. Those that have them at grandfathered
So you’re simple admitting I was right. It was not a major issue.
I know it's hard for some Americans to get their head around our attitude towards gun ownership because it is as equally hard for us to get our heads around yours.
This is not an argument.

In fact it does and that’s one reason why BC overdose deaths increased over 10 times in the last decades to over 2200 a year. Because they decided some time ago instead of arresting drug users they were going to encourage drug use.

This ^^^^

CA

Well Canada is ****ed. I guess they like getting corn holed on their rights. Pity. I thought there was hope for them. Guess peacable protests dont work that well afterall.

Not all Canadians are liking soy-boy's gun bans....

It's not a major issue...period!
It’s a major issue for firearm owners, who have considerable pull in the Tories. So when Trudeau finally cocks up bad enough and a new election occurs and the CPC forms a government there will be rollback of Trudeau’s laws and it will again not be a major issue

WTH is wrong with them?

We agree on something finally!

Question. Should cigarettes be banned too?
They probably will be. The modem ruling class of which Trudeau is a part is a rapacious and self-aggrandizing sort. They love to feel good about themselves, but also they have a desire for power. And they can’t accrue more power from a society where most everyone is a producer. That’s why over the past few decades the ruling class has declared every ugly manner of sexual deviancy a human right, proposed that “for the climate” we need to provide free money to people not willing to work, and promotes mental illness as a virtue.

How this applies to cigarettes? Tobacco is a drug used by working people. In fact tobacco, along with Coffee is largely what made the formation of the Industrial Age possible as stimulant nicotine allows one to work more hours with less food while creating a social atmosphere. Previously workers drank stout beer while working.

The contrast is drugs like marijuana which exist to create sloth and social decline. A drug that allows increased productivity is vilified, one that makes one lazy and unfocused is promoted

I couldn't care less- don't live there.

Ah but you do care. You're posting in this thread, for one thing. And for another thing, BEFORE you decided it would help your side you were worried it would help the other side. The relevant post is quoted after I'm done with this one.

But Trudeau's idiocy only helps my side. we can point to him showing that the loony anti gun left hates self defense and will keep pushing restrictions for all sorts of specious reasons

Exactly the same good reasons anti-gunners in the US have. Pistols are used in crime far more than rifles or shotguns are. It's pistols which should be banned from sale (and like in Canada, current owners can keep theirs, this should suit you fine.)

I SURE HOPE that he won't allow his bodyguards to carry more than five rounds: why should he have protection that he won't let his peasants have?

Oh this shit again. I explained to you, government officials NEED more protection because (a) there are thousands of people who want to kill them, and (b) killing them enforces a political change. It's why we take terrorism more seriously than we do common murder (or even mass shootings.)

Did you ever engage with that, or is it your policy to ignore rational explanations in favor of "someone should shoot Biden lol only joking" trolling?

I wonder if that clown PM up there realizes he is helping the pro gun side down here with his silly anti gun bed wetting?

Make up your mind before you open your mouth.

Define "will actually work."

Reduce the number of handgun shootings? Reduce the number of total shootings? Perhaps, to some degree. Criminals and crazies will still get guns and shoot people, but perhaps less often.

But what other, unintended consequences will also arise? Will non-gun murders increase? Probably. Will assaults, rapes and robberies increase? Hot burglaries? Other personal crimes?

Likely. The harder you make it for the average citizen to defend their self (and it is hard enough in Canada already), the more you encourage the criminals.

You can't JUST look at "gun crime" or "gun deaths". You have to look at the total picture. One thing affects other things.

No, I look at total murders. And murders are special among crimes, because the victim never gets over it. Murder also distresses friends and family more than any other crime, even rape. Murders are how gangs maintain their share of criminal power to commit a range of other (more immediately profitable) crimes, as well as murdering witnesses or anyone who goes to the police.

Ask yourself if you'd rather be a victim of an attempted murder with a knife, or a second-degree murder with a gun.

And here's a question I never seem to get a straight answer to: how many shootings in self defense even are there in the US? It's easy to find numbers for police shooting first, but not so easy to find numbers for "home defenders" or people who stood their ground on the street. (And please no, not NRA numbers for pro-gun people claiming to have "used" their gun in vague ways fifteen times each day, those numbers are worthless.)

Not all Canadians are liking soy-boy's gun bans....

Yep, there’s a bunch of losers who wish they were Americans so they could vote for Trump. They and their mindless American gun obsessive buddies aren’t real well liked by most Canadians, funnily enough.

They probably will be. The modem ruling class of which Trudeau is a part is a rapacious and self-aggrandizing sort. They love to feel good about themselves, but also they have a desire for power. And they can’t accrue more power from a society where most everyone is a producer. That’s why over the past few decades the ruling class has declared every ugly manner of sexual deviancy a human right, proposed that “for the climate” we need to provide free money to people not willing to work, and promotes mental illness as a virtue.

Wow, so your examples of government increasing its power include government specifically legalizing things. You're confused.

Mental illness is neither a virtue nor a moral fault. Denial of it however, is a moral fault. People who need help should feel NO SHAME in seeking it, or taking time of work if necessary. And yes, the government should pay for that because mental problems impact all of society, it's a "general welfare" issue.

How this applies to cigarettes? Tobacco is a drug used by working people. In fact tobacco, along with Coffee is largely what made the formation of the Industrial Age possible as stimulant nicotine allows one to work more hours with less food while creating a social atmosphere. Previously workers drank stout beer while working.

The contrast is drugs like marijuana which exist to create sloth and social decline. A drug that allows increased productivity is vilified, one that makes one lazy and unfocused is promoted

Beer and tobacco good. Marijuana bad. Excuse me for thinking you don't give a damn about people living, when their working life is done, and your ideas about which drugs are good or bad are ultimately based on tradition not on any calculation of costs or benefits.

If it wasn't for the legality issue, I expect you would approve amphetamines for the working week (much more effective than nicotine), and heroin to stay out of trouble over the weekend.

No, I see no reason to own a handgun for self-protection.
That is fine as long as it is your personal choice.

As a Canadian, do you have a problem with your law abiding good citizen neighbors having the ability to make a personal choice for them to own a handgun if they feel they want one?

Handgun ownership is already very, very low so this isn't that big a deal.

So, then why would you care if a fellow citizen owns a handgun? wh

We can own rifles, my DH has two.

I own at least 14-15 rifles/shotguns, and as many handguns. I also own several chainsaws, lots of power tools, and more cars and boats than I can drive at once.

I personally don't see any big deal in gun ownership. I don't think of them as scary things, or things likely to be used for wrong---even as they must be handled and treated with respect----same as my chainsaws and cars.

I truly cannot imagine an armed intruder breaking into my home while I am there.
I cannot imagine my house catching fire, but I have lots of fire extinguishers, smoke alarms, and water hoses. I also have a lightning rod at my vacation home, and in 40 years it has never been hit by lightning.

In th Boy Scouts our motto was "be prepared". Nobody expects to be a victim of a robbery or a rape, but what will you do if you ever need to protect yourself and the police are many minutes away.

Look, I live in a VERY low crime area in a gated community. The chance of some kind of large criminal outbreak is very rare. But judging at how quickly things tend to break into anarchy after large protest events, or even natural disasters. Why not have something which assures that your home and your loved ones will not be among the other 'low hanging fruit' in the event of mass civil unrest?

It has happened but honestly, it is so infrequent here that I'm much, much more likely to be hit by lightning. I am neither supportive nor against the handgun portion of this law, I'm ambivalent. As I said handgun ownership is very low here, we weren't worried about self-protection before and we aren't about to start now.
As one who has had criminals threaten my life with guns, knives, syringes, and similar on more than one occasion. I am content to have my "ace in hole" if I need it. A few year back some people a few miles away were murdered by a homeless man in a random attack at their home. Last year a woman out walking a dog was murdered by somebody we assume was crazed on drugs. This is in a nice area, so don't figure it can't happen anywhere. I live in Southern California and we have a lot of crazy people and criminals.

I am sorry that you and so many others in the States don't enjoy the freedom that comes when one is not afraid for their safety. That to me is real freedom.

Like I said, I don't think of guns much different than fire extinguishers or seat belts on cars. You figure you will never need them, but if you ever do need them, you can't survive without them.

In fact it does and that’s one reason why BC overdose deaths increased over 10 times in the last decades to over 2200 a year. Because they decided some time ago instead of arresting drug users they were going to encourage drug use.
LOL I love this idiotic spin of how anything but imprisoning someone is "encouraging" drug use.

No, I look at total murders. And murders are special among crimes, because the victim never gets over it. Murder also distresses friends and family more than any other crime, even rape. Murders are how gangs maintain their share of criminal power to commit a range of other (more immediately profitable) crimes, as well as murdering witnesses or anyone who goes to the police.

Emotional appeals; always the first, last, and middle resort of those who seek to achieve an emotional reaction rather than a rational one.

Ask yourself if you'd rather be a victim of an attempted murder with a knife, or a second-degree murder with a gun.

I'd rather not be a victim at all. But if there is a risk, then I'd prefer access to the best tools available to try to counter that threat.

Guns are also great equalizers. They allow the weak to level the playing field, whereas a knife, a club, or other tool may not.

If anyone wants an example, simply look to Ukraine now.

Arming the populace may have placed people in more danger, but it also gave them the power to TRY to resist, and sometimes win.

That was the idea behind OUR Second Amendment. An armed populace is one that has to be contended with.

An unarmed one, easy to control.

And here's a question I never seem to get a straight answer to: how many shootings in self defense even are there in the US? It's easy to find numbers for police shooting first, but not so easy to find numbers for "home defenders" or people who stood their ground on the street. (And please no, not NRA numbers for pro-gun people claiming to have "used" their gun in vague ways fifteen times each day, those numbers are worthless.)

I've addressed this several times. Just not in this thread about CANADIAN gun concerns.

Would you like a link?

In the Boy Scouts our motto was "be prepared".

They were talking about carrying spare matches, not having fifteen of everything on your ranch.

LOL I love this idiotic spin of how anything but imprisoning someone is "encouraging" drug use.

Seeing government over-reach when it's not there. A kind of paranoia I think.

Back
Top Bottom