• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hand Gun Ban, Yay or Nay?

Should Canada ban hand guns?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

Chris

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
As part of their re-election campaign, the Liberal Party of Canada has proposed legislation to ban the possesion of hand guns. This comes largely as a response to Canada's national gun registry, which has proved sorely ineffective in light of increased hand gun violence in several urban areas (particularly Toronto).

http://www.liberal.ca/news_e.aspx?id=1141

Personally I think this is a good move. Not only has the gun registry program done virtually nothing to reduce gun crime, it hurts legitimate gun owners who use their guns for sport shooting or hunting. Investing more in poor neighborhoods is also a good idea. I believe poverty not guns are the root of most of these problems.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you think it is a good response?

No. If there are problems with hand gun possession in certain urban areas like Toronto, let those cities ban them. But a nationwide ban in a country the size of Canada is ridiculous.

I see some fools in Canada are trying to make sure criminals and only criminals have guns. Worked in Wasthington DC, didn't it?

I voted no. What about those of us who like to target practice with pistols (as well as rifles?). Of course I don't use pistols for home security (I think chambering a shot gun is enough to scare the hell out of any home intruders myself :mrgreen: )

Back
Top Bottom