• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Hamas wins a landslide victory....

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I don't think this is the way we are going to see peace in this region, and I am as surprised as the current administration there, that the radicals have so much support. I guess the next time Israel attacks, they may have to start to question their own role in this on going struggle. I was very supportive of the actions that Israel had taken in recent months, now it would appear the nay sayers were correct, they don't want peace, they want war.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians

NABLUS, West Bank - Hamas supporters on Friday celebrated a landslide election victory in major West Bank towns, the strongest sign yet of the Islamic militant group's growing political appeal ahead of Jan. 25 parliamentary elections.

Israel responded with concern, saying a Palestinian government dominated by Hamas — which calls for Israel's destruction and has killed hundreds of Israelis in attacks — would not be a partner for peace.

The results stunned officials from Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah Party, whose internal disarray developed into a split this week when a group of young-guard leaders broke away.

Thousands of Hamas supporters joined victory marches after Friday prayers. In Jenin, where Hamas won a majority of local council seats, marchers chanted, "To Jerusalem we march, martyrs by the millions!" and held up copies of the Quran.

Deegan said:
I don't think this is the way we are going to see peace in this region, and I am as surprised as the current administration there, that the radicals have so much support. I guess the next time Israel attacks, they may have to start to question their own role in this on going struggle. I was very supportive of the actions that Israel had taken in recent months, now it would appear the nay sayers were correct, they don't want peace, they want war.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051216/ap_on_re_mi_ea/israel_palestinians

NABLUS, West Bank - Hamas supporters on Friday celebrated a landslide election victory in major West Bank towns, the strongest sign yet of the Islamic militant group's growing political appeal ahead of Jan. 25 parliamentary elections.

Israel responded with concern, saying a Palestinian government dominated by Hamas — which calls for Israel's destruction and has killed hundreds of Israelis in attacks — would not be a partner for peace.

The results stunned officials from Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas' Fatah Party, whose internal disarray developed into a split this week when a group of young-guard leaders broke away.

Thousands of Hamas supporters joined victory marches after Friday prayers. In Jenin, where Hamas won a majority of local council seats, marchers chanted, "To Jerusalem we march, martyrs by the millions!" and held up copies of the Quran.

In other news...

The UN today order more tea and said something should be done about the Sudan...:roll:

A large part of the problem is that Hamas is indeed popular with Palestinians for the same reason the Muslim Brotherhood is popular with the Egyptian populace.... social activism. The PA gives the term 'trickle down' economy a whole new definition, as most funds earmarked for improving the lot of ordinary Palestinians is siphoned-off by both official and unofficial corruption.

The only thing that should surprise the PA is how close they are to losing democratic governance over Palestine. I highly doubt Israel would be interested in talking nice with elected Hamas officials at the helm of a sinking ship that is listing in very troubled waters.

Back
Top Bottom