• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hamas to Raze 180 Gaza houses to erect Islamic Religious center

mbig

onomatopoeic
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
app. 1500 people (200 houses) will be forced into Tents in Rafah alone it seems by the Hamas Islamists.
Then it will be on to Khan Yunis and elsewhere

Hamas to raze 180 Gaza houses to erect Islamic religious center - Haaretz
Palestinian Center for Human Rights says Gaza authorities already destroyed 20 homes, forcing 150 people to live in tents.
By Avi Issacharoff
The Hamas government in the Gaza Strip plans to raze another 180 Palestinian houses, on top of the 20 it recently demolished in the southern town of Rafah, the Palestinian Center for Human Rights charged on Thursday.

The 20 houses already destroyed were home to some 150 people, who are now homeless and living in tents, the organization said.

The government said it razed the houses because they were built illegally on government land. The organization said that Hamas plans to use the same Pretext to demolish houses in Khan Yunis and other towns.
[.........]

Last edited:
app. 1500 people (200 houses) will be forced into Tents in Rafah alone it seems by the Hamas Islamists.
Then it will be on to Khan Yunis and elsewhere

Hamas to raze 180 Gaza houses to erect Islamic religious center - Haaretz
Palestinian Center for Human Rights says Gaza authorities already destroyed 20 homes, forcing 150 people to live in tents.
By Avi Issacharoff

Where is the ISM and the latest incarnation of Rachel Corrie to stand in front of the houses to protest their destruction? Where is HRW, the UN, etc? Why are there no protests in London, Paris and Amsterdam?

Oh yeah, that's right - jews aren't the ones doing it, thanks, righto.... :rolleyes:

Were they built illegally on government land?

So Hamas is emulating Israel's demolition of homes in East Jerusalem.

Somehow occupied territorty is 'government land'.

Either way, stupid move by Hamas.

Here is what the article says:

Palestinians sources told Haaretz that the area in question, comprising around 200 dunams (some 50 acres ), had been given by the Hamas government to a charitable organization called Fadila so that it could build a religious study center there comprising a school, a college and a mosque. But when Fadila sought to begin construction, it discovered that dozens of houses had been built on the site. In most cases, these houses were built by owners whose original homes had been destroyed by the Israel Defense Forces.

Fadila applied to the Hamas government, which asked the residents to leave. When they refused, saying they had nowhere to go, the government went to court, and the court ordered them to leave. The government then began razing the houses.

Source: Haaretz

While we can question the ethical nature of the government's actions, this cannot even be remotely compared to the demolition of Arab-owned land by Israel because this land was not owned by the people living on it by any stretch.

Not really. Suppose, just as people accuse the Jews of buying up private land in palestine as 'displacing' the common inhabitants who may have been tenant farmers... 'Fadila' (actually I've found, it's a radical group called 'the Islamic Society of Gaza') bought land and is not allowing local inhabitants to live there.
Not that there may even be a disinction between Hamas and 'Fadila'.
And I'm not at all sure Hamas and it's foreign backers have any right to own that land or transfer it in Any part of Palestine unless approved by a United 'palestine' govt.

Harry's Place » Islamic Help: Aiding Hamas

On Thursday evening Islamic Help, a charity based in Birmingham, will hold a fundraising event for Gaza in London.

Guess who’s coming to dinner: George Galloway.
[..........]
In Gaza, Islamic Help is backing the reconstruction of Darul Fadilah, a facility in Rafah owned by the Islamic Society of Gaza. This is an important project for the charity. Mohammad Masood Alam Khan, Islamic Help’s chairman, has visited the facility, with Galloway.

The Society is closely linked to Hamas. Ahmad Bahr, a Hamas leader, was its secretary general from 1985 to 2004. He too is an annihilationist, as you can see from this sermon message he delivered at a mosque in Sudan in 2007:
[..........]

Now Islamic Help is stepping in for the Islamic Society of Gaza. This is the kind of activity its donors are funding: a Society-run kindergarten “graduation” ceremony where little boys are dressed as terrorists.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WHdWgES-Uw&feature=player_embedded

[............]
The aim of the Society is the perpetuation of jihadi hatred and conflict, for generations.

British charities can help to fuel this hatred, openly, and almost always without any legal or even political consequences, when it is a crime to fund Hamas from the UK.

That should change.
That's what's going to Usurp palestinian housing. A Complex of Jihadis/madrassas bent on permanent war.

Last edited:
Presumably they were mud huts as they were buildings people had put up who had lost their homes in Cast Lead. That I guess is how Gaza is in survival mode.

Hamas was indeed stupid to try and move them given their situation. Hamas has stopped I understand because the people let them know this was unacceptable.

Presumably they were mud huts as they were buildings people had put up who had lost their homes in Cast Lead. That I guess is how Gaza is in survival mode.

Hamas was indeed stupid to try and move them given their situation. Hamas has stopped I understand because the people let them know this was unacceptable.
Presume away.. but if you'll note the picture at the bottom of the OP's article.
That's shattered and substantial concrete/cement with rebar (of which there was apparently no shortage) through which you can see former residents in their new tent.
Ooops.

1607851394.jpg

House demolished by Hamas security forces in Rafah in the southern Gaza Strip May 18, 2010.
Photo by: Reuters

but eminently predictable to see you try and minimalize away Hamas destruction.

Last edited:
Presume away.. but if you'll note the picture at the bottom of the OP article.
That's shattered and substantial concrete/cement with rebar: (of which there was apparently no shortage) through which you can see the former residents in their new tent.
Ooops.

Pathetic. What that picture is I have no idea. That Gaza has been refused the materials to build their homes destroyed by Cast Lead I know. That these people lost their homes in Cast Lead was in the article. That the Israel Government has been trying to harm the people of Gaza in order to get them to hate Hamas ever since they were first elected, I know. That isolation has given Hamas more power I know. That isolation is making Hamas more Islamist I know.

So, not really a big story. People had built homes to have somewhere to live. There are people in Gaza still without places to live and I have seen the mud huts many have had to build because there are not the required building materials.
but eminently predictable to see you try and minimalize away Hamas destruction.

Pathetic again. That was not what I was doing. I was just making a rational assumption based on what the article said and what I have found out is the situation there at the moment.

Stop trying to imagine my mind. I am on such a different wavelength to you, you wouldn't find it. Perhaps you could start worrying about things like this Gaza's Only Remaining Power Station Shut Down Saturday; Causing Widespread Blackout - International Middle East Media Center and allow Gaza to become open to the world again so that Hamas's influence will be weakened - but maybe that will not be enough for you. Perhaps you need to see the people involved in civil war. Then you can say the sanctions to Gaza, cutting it off from the world and Cast Lead were all worth it.

Pathetic. What that picture is I have no idea. That Gaza has been refused the materials to build their homes destroyed by Cast Lead I know. That these people lost their homes in Cast Lead was in the article. That the Israel Government has been trying to harm the people of Gaza in order to get them to hate Hamas ever since they were first elected, I know. That isolation has given Hamas more power I know. That isolation is making Hamas more Islamist I know.
"Pathetic" is what happened to YOU and "Presumably they were mud houses"
You missed the OP picture.
Thus this Red-faced reply.
Now having overlooked the pic in ther first place, You "have no idea of what that's a picture of"?
Inferring/Having to infer Ha'artetz is publishing a false photo so you can get out of having blown seeing it.
Really unbelievable.

So, not really a big story. ...
Pooh Pooh again. Predicable as I said in my last.

Pathetic again. That was not what I was doing. I was just making a rational assumption based on what the article said and what I have found out is the situation there at the moment.
Yeah it is. You just did it again above "not really a big story".
Clearly and to many it's one with great Irony.

Stop trying to imagine my mind....
LOL

And as I also pointed out.. these common people seemed to have no trouble finding housing materials like Cement and rebar, ostensibly building supplies in great shortage. 'Flotilla' my rump.

Last edited:
Another source:
Hamas destroys dozens of homes in Gaza - Israel News, Ynetnews

Strip's rulers say buildings knocked down with bulldozers were constructed illegally on government land. 'They promised reform and change – instead they've destroyed our homes," shouts newly homeless resident

Associated Press Published: 05.17.10, 00:07 / Israel News

Hamas police wielding clubs beat and pushed residents out of dozens of homes in the southern Gaza town of Rafah on Sunday before knocking the buildings down with bulldozers, residents said.

Gaza's militant Hamas rulers said the homes were built illegally on government land. Newly homeless residents were furious over Palestinians on bulldozers razing Palestinian homes.
[......]

ArabNews.com
http://arabnews.com/middleeast/article54490.ece
Hamas destroys dozens of homes in southern Gaza
By RIZEK ABDEL JAWAD | AP
Published: May 17, 2010

RAFAH, Gaza Strip: Hamas police wielding clubs beat and pushed residents out of dozens of homes in the southern Gaza town of Rafah on Sunday before knocking the buildings down with Bulldozers, residents said.
[.......]

Last edited:
Not really. Suppose, just as people accuse the Jews of buying up private land in palestine as 'displacing' the common inhabitants who may have been tenant farmers... 'Fadila' (actually I've found, it's a radical group called 'the Islamic Society of Gaza') bought land and is not allowing local inhabitants to live there.
Not that there may even be a disinction between Hamas and 'Fadila'.
And I'm not at all sure Hamas and it's foreign backers have any right to own that land or transfer it in Any part of Palestine unless approved by a United 'palestine' govt.

Harry's Place » Islamic Help: Aiding Hamas

That's what's going to Usurp palestinian housing. A Complex of Jihadis/madrassas bent on permanent war.

Two things:

1. MEMRI should not be looked to as a reliable and objective source of information by anyone.
2. None of this in any way goes against the fact the homes were built illegally on government land.

Two things:

1. MEMRI should not be looked to as a reliable and objective source of information by anyone.
According to who?
You, al-Qaeda, and Guardian?
MEMRI is used/cited by virtually all mainstream media including al-Jazeera.

2. None of this in any way goes against the fact the homes were built illegally on government land.
Except, as I said, land ownership in palestine, especially Gaza, may be highly constestable until there's a unified govt to validate transfer and title.
And.. can 'residents/locals' be dispossesed just because there's a new owner.
That was the whine about some of early 20th c Israel.
None of which you could address.

Last edited:
According to who?
You, al-qaeda, and Guardian?

According to CNN.

MEMRI is used by virtually all mainstream media including al-Jazeera.

Al-Jazeera is hardly biased towards Hamas. Though it may not be biased towards Israel it certainly lines up with the same interests as the interests of Israel line up with those of Qatar.

Except, as I said, land title in palestine, especially Gaza, may be highly constestable until there's a unified govt to validate transfer and title.

It really doesn't matter as the de-facto legal authorities in Gaza are the Hamas-led government.

According to CNN.
OK Lets see the CNN Link!
(betcha it's some anti-Israel site you took 10 minutes to google instead referring to a many year old error)
Not that CNN alone would be the be-all end-all in establishing MEMRI's credibility.
Nor that a single, or even few, mistaken translations (such as IRNA did with a'jads 'wiped' speech) would be unusual in Tens of thousands of transcripts.

Al-Jazeera is hardly biased towards Hamas. Though it may not be biased towards Israel it certainly lines up with the same interests as the interests of Israel line up with those of Qatar.
This is an incoherent and off topic response. I didn't claim any position for al-Jazeera, merely that the largest Arab News station considers MEMRI credible/capable enough to use as well.

It really doesn't matter as the de-facto legal authorities in Gaza are the Hamas-led government.
It doesn't matter to the residents either then who don't have to recognize title and transfer in this Non-country.
Nor again, even if title is transfered does it necessarily give Hamas the right to disposess Thousands.

Last edited:
According to CNN.

Cnn -- Are they part of that fabled Jewish conspiracy to control everybody's media that you talkked about in some of your earliest posts here, or do the Joos not have their hooks in them yet?

It's not a link from CNN, but it does cite the CNN situation:

Among those misled by Memri's "translation" was Glenn Beck of CNN, who had planned to run it on his radio programme, until his producer told him to stop. Beck informed listeners this was because CNN's Arabic department had found "massive problems" with it.

Source: The Guardian

Honestly, looking more into MEMRI, specifically the heavy involvement of former Israeli intelligence officials, I would not be supposed if the whole institution was just Israeli black propaganda.

This is an incoherent and off topic response. I didn't claim any position for al-Jazeera, merely that the largest Arab News station considers MEMRI credible/capable enough to use as well.

Unfortunately tone and emphasis don't come out well over the Internet. The point is that al-Jazeera is no friend of Hamas and its reporting should best be understood in terms of the country where it is based. It is actually run by a cousin of the emir of Qatar and any Palestinian background of other key figures would probably put them squarely in the secularist camp. In other words, none of them have any motivation to have Aljazeera portray radical political Islam in a positive light.

You would be hard-pressed to find any news media that can be described as objective. They may be objective about some things, but there are many things where they simply aren't.

It doesn't matter to the residents either then who don't have to recognize title and transfer in this Non-country.
Nor again, even if title is transfered does it necessarily give Hamas the right to disposess Thousands.

If the land is government-owned and the people do not have any legal approval for residing there they most certainly do have the right. You are apparently trying to obfuscate the issue by suggesting the Hamas government is illegitimate and thus cannot make any decision regarding government land. However, it is unlikely these people do not recognize Hamas as the government or its authority over that land.

It is disingenuous to compare this to an occupation government that pursues an active policy of ethnic cleansing by destroying Arab homes and replacing them with Jewish ones.

Cnn -- Are they part of that fabled Jewish conspiracy to control everybody's media that you talkked about in some of your earliest posts here, or do the Joos not have their hooks in them yet?

I never suggested such a thing. However, you would have to be willfully ignorant to think there is no influence of Jewish politics on American society. Most Jews support Israel and there are lots of rich and powerful Jews, including in the media. Every stereotype has some element of truth to it. Jews pretty much built Hollywood, though I don't see that as particularly nefarious.

Last edited:
It's not a link from CNN, but it does cite the CNN situation:
LOL
That's what I said you'd do! So you, as Usual, Dishonestly left off the rest of my quote which included.....
me said:
(betcha it's some anti-Israel site you took 10 minutes to google instead referring to a many year old error)
SURE ENOUGH you quoted Guardian! Not CNN. The same al-Guardian I had previously mentioned (along with You and al-Qaeda) as the usual suspects for MEMRI 'not being credible'.

Of course this is routine/beginner stuff.
the al-Guardian/Dim-Whittaker Hit piece already answered by the head of MEMRI. I've played this game many times and you're just, as I said, 10-minute-googling.
Mideast Dispatch Archive: Memri responds to the Guardian

Unfortunately tone and emphasis don't come out well over the Internet. The point is that al-Jazeera is no friend of Hamas and its reporting should best be understood in terms of the country where it is based. It is actually run by a cousin of the emir of Qatar and any Palestinian background of other key figures would probably put them squarely in the secularist camp. In other words, none of them have any motivation to have Aljazeera portray radical political Islam in a positive light.
This, like everything you post, is Ridiculous.
Not your "tone". Your basic claim.
This even more so than Usual and pulled out of your hat.
Saying al-Jazeera doesn't favor Hamas over Israel in it's coverage doesn't even need an answer. It's beyond Ridiculous.

If the land is government-owned and the people do not have any legal approval for residing there they most certainly do have the right. You are apparently trying to obfuscate the issue by suggesting the Hamas government is illegitimate and thus cannot make any decision regarding government land. However, it is unlikely these people do not recognize Hamas as the government or its authority over that land.
There are several issues:
Who bought it and under what circumstances.
Hamas may have sold pan-Palestinian owned land to a charity which it controlled!
And even assuming they have title, which is unclear..
That may not give them the right to Expel 1500 people from 200 Houses.
All of which I mentioned previously and NONE of which you can even address.

Last edited:
LOL Israel bulldozes homes and it's justified; Hamas does it for an equally ridiculous reason and all of a sudden it's heresy!

You COMPLETELY missed the point.
It IS Israel that is regulary condemned for it's actions.
The News/Irony IS that this is being done BY HAMAS, Not anyone 'justifying' or not, Israel doing it.

Last edited:
LOL
That's what I said you'd do! So you, as Usual, Dishonestly left off the rest of my quote which included.....
SURE ENOUGH you quoted Guardian! Not CNN. The same al-Guardian I had previously mentioned (along with You and al-Qaeda) as the usual suspects for MEMRI 'not being credible'.

Hooray for calling the author a liar. He cited Glenn Beck's comments about the matter and here is his little rant about it containing all the information, save for the very legitimate criticism of the translation: Little Green Footballs - Outrage: CNN Covers Up Death Cult Mickey Mouse Video

I am sure MEMRI does provide some legitimate translations, they could hardly be a capable black propaganda group if they did not at least give themselves some credibility. However, this rather obvious mistranslation of the pioneer broadcast, given their credentials, suggests it is deliberately translated the wrong way.

Of course this is routine/beginner stuff.
the al-Guardian/Dim-Whittaker Hit piece already answered by the head of MEMRI.

Funny how half of their response involves attacking Whittaker himself, in a rather baseless manner I might add,

This, like everything you post, is Ridiculous.
Not your "tone". Your basic claim.
This even more so than Usual and pulled out of your hat.
Saying al-Jazeera doesn't favor Hamas over Israel in it's coverage doesn't even need an answer. It's beyond Ridiculous.

Al-Jazzeera has been criticized by the U.S. government and Israel, but it has also been criticized by Arab nations for being pro-Israel. No doubt you will find some members of al-Jazeera who have made radical statements, just like you will find the same for most news organizations, but their leadership best represents the interests of the pro-U.S. secular governments in the Gulf, which lines them up with Israel's interests. This does not mean they will show preference to Israel, but it also means they will not shudder at making Hamas look bad.

There are several issues:
Who bought it and under what circumstances.
Hamas may have sold pan-Palestinian owned land to a charity which it controlled!
And even assuming they have title, which is unclear..
That may not give them the right to Expel 1500 people from 200 Houses.
All of which I mentioned previously and NONE of which you can even address.

There is nothing concrete to address. You are just speculating. Even you admit you have no clue whether they did not have the legal right to do what they did. There is plenty indicating they did and nothing but your musings to indicate they did not.

For purposes of accuracy, it should be noted that CNN did, in fact, mention that there was some question as to the translation provided by Memri.org. CNN noted that "several Arabic speakers" used by the station provided a different translation. CNN added that Memri.org stood by its version. CNN did not take a position on which version was accurate.

Relevant excerpts from the CNN transcript are as follows:

SHUBERT: But there's another twist to the story. What exactly are Mickey and his friend saying?

Media watchdog MEMRI translates one caller as saying -- quote -- "We will annihilate the Jews."

But, according to several Arabic speakers used by CNN, the caller actually says -- quote -- "The Jews are killing us."

MEMRI told us it stood by its translation.

CNN.com - Transcripts

Hooray for calling the author a liar...
Actually I deserve the Kudos for anticipating the OLD Guardian hit piece and knowing you had NO CNN link.
And for even humoring your beginner pot shots, empty last-wording, and Ridiculous claims.

I am sure MEMRI does provide some legitimate translations, they could hardly be a capable black propaganda group if they did not at least give themselves some credibility. However, this rather obvious mistranslation of the pioneer broadcast, given their credentials, suggests it is deliberately translated the wrong way.
On the contrary and as I said, MEMRI makes tens of thousand of Translations, and again Contrary to your assertion is Plenty Credible and used by most of the West's MSM even after that mistake.

Funny how half of their response involves attacking Whittaker himself, in a rather baseless manner I might add,
Actually it was Whittaker who made the Personal attacks and Carmon who Answered EVERY Single one including pointing out the fact al-Jazeera has hiom on as well.

Al-Jazzeera has been criticized by the U.S. government and Israel, but it has also been criticized by Arab nations....

This is not news... but asserting a-jazeera favors Israel over Hamas or doesn't favor Hamas is Absurd.
Another contention pulled out of your hat.
I suggest just going over to the webiste ANY day, including right now, to see such.
Or shall I just post a-j links from the last few days showing how absurd your claims are.

Actually there's plenty indicating they don't.. and AGAIN, even if title was established, not necessarily giving them expulsion rights.

Last word away! Let's see how long we can keep MY string title running.

Last edited:
Religion becomming the last bastion of hope to desperate people.

Actually I deserve the Kudos for anticipating the OLD Guardian hit piece and knowing you had NO CNN link.

Well not only did don provide one, I also gave you a link showing the video of exactly what the Guardian mentioned. It is one thing to question their analysis of a situation, but when any major news source directly references a major media figure like Beck and something he said on air it is really kind of absurd to challenge the choice of source.

On the contrary and as I said, MEMRI makes tens of thousand of Translations, and again Contrary to your assertion is Plenty Credible and used by most of the West's MSM even after that mistake.

Oh please, this was not a mistake and they did not admit it was a mistake, instead the head of the group insisted it was 100% correct even after talking to the people who recognized the mistranslation. As far most Western media still using it, that doesn't attest to its credibility.

Actually it was Whittaker who made the Personal attacks and Carmon who Answered EVERY Single one including pointing out the fact al-Jazeera has hiom on as well.

I read your source man, they claim he set up an anti-Israel site because it includes pages on many Arab nations but not Israel, even though it makes sense for a site that is specifically about Arab nations.

This is not news... but asserting a-jazeera favors Israel over Hamas or doesn't favor Hamas is Absurd.
Another contention pulled out of your hat.
I suggest just going over to the webiste ANY day, including right now, to see such.
Or shall I just post a-j links from the last few days showing how absurd your claims are.

I looked through and I am not seeing anything suggesting they favor Hamas. Don't cite an outside opinion piece either.

Actually there's plenty indicating they don't.

What indicates they don't?

Back
Top Bottom