• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hamas imposes travel restrictions on unmarried women

NO1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://www.jpost.com/middle-east/hamas-imposes-travel-restrictions-on-unmarried-women-659100
The Supreme Sharia Court Council in the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip has imposed travel restrictions on unmarried females, drawing sharp criticism from Palestinians and human-rights organizations.

In a circular issued on Sunday, the council ruled that “an unmarried female may be prevented from traveling if she did not obtain permission from her guardian,” who is often her father or in some cases her son.

“Her guardian may prevent her from traveling if there is absolute harm in her travel or if there is a lawsuit requiring a travel ban,” the council ruled.

What is the big deal? In Islam women don't travel alone anyway. They need a mahram with them. It is not permissable to travel alone. Similarly, it is not permissable for a woman to travel without her husband's permission.

What is the big deal? In Islam women don't travel alone anyway. They need a mahram with them. It is not permissable to travel alone. Similarly, it is not permissable for a woman to travel without her husband's permission.
That's speaks volume.

Did you read the article? It says -
The Palestinian Authority’s Palestinian Sharia Courts Chief Justice Mahmoud al-Habbash said the ruling violated the teachings of Islam.
“Palestinians are not bound by the circular issued by the Gaza-based council,” he said.
“Restricting public and private freedoms without a legitimate justification is a clear violation of the spirit of sharia and an assault on the rights guaranteed by Islam,” he added.

Depends really on what interpretation of Islam you speak of.

Clearly any effort to impose the stone age Wahhabism of Saudi on everybody else can by now be called a complete failure.

Or so the kingdom of Morocco (just to name one example) seems to think, not to even mention the PA's Chief Islamic Justice.

That's speaks volume.

Did you read the article? It says -
So the article is supposedly quoting someone saying it isn't Islamic. Other articles are quoting others saying it is Islamic. (for some reason those bits didn't get to the Israeli publication....) What makes you believe one over the other? The good news is, in Islam we don't decide things on our own, but we rely on authentic sources for information.

First of all, after having read multiple other statements supposedly made by the person mentioned in your quotation, it is difficult to believe he would have said what the article claims. I also only find this quotation in Israeli papers (which are known for the myriad of lies in them) and in no other.

Secondly, I did not comment on the restricting of officials of women's travel, but on the fact that Muslim women cannot travel alone.

What the article says about restricting the travel of unmarried men is also different from what other papers said about it.

Nothing speaks to freedom like misogyny cloaked in religion.

Gaza and travel are not words you can generally use in the same sentence.

Not sure how many are aware of this but two weeks ago the Rafah border crossing, (the only crossing point between Egypt and the Gaza Strip,) was opened indefinitely for the first time in years.

A week later, Gaza’s Supreme Judicial Council, a body run by Hamas authorities, issued a notice allowing male guardians to restrict unmarried women’s travel.

Sickening.

Bottom line? Hamas are backward assholes. Who knew.

allowing male guardians to restrict unmarried women’s trave
Tha wasn't hamas, it is Allah who restricted what women and men can do.

Basically your complaint is that after Israel has made life nearly impossible, it is "sickening" to you that they continue to practice their religion.

Basically your complaint is that after Israel has made life nearly impossible, it is "sickening" to you that they continue to practice their religion.

This is Hamas enforcing edicts.

Hamas.

Everything following the underlined is the big deal. You're an awfully strict convert.

Depends really on what interpretation of Islam you speak of.

Clearly any effort to impose the stone age Wahhabism of Saudi on everybody else can by now be called a complete failure.

Or so the kingdom of Morocco (just to name one example) seems to think, not to even mention the PA's Chief Islamic Justice.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in the Qur'an that prohibits women from travelling on their own. However, verse 4:34 gives men the power to so restrict the women under his care on an individual basis. Islam requires she obey.

Hamas pulled that regulation out of its arse, claiming falsely (like you) that it's Islamic.

To the best of my knowledge, there is nothing in the Qur'an that prohibits women from travelling on their own. However, verse 4:34 gives men the power to so restrict the women under his care on an individual basis. Islam requires she obey.
That's my understanding as well.

Which makes the Hamas thugs no better than their Saudi counterparts.

Nor, for that matter, than anyone else peddling this stone age crap, on here or elsewhere.

Does Allah have a habit of rejecting my 3 foot putts as well?

Should I pray to Allah over my 3' putts? ;)

10 handicap. :cool:

Cool.....a 10 is a very good player IMO.

I waver between 7 to 10 depending on my arthritis. I have it in both wrists.

The flair up's have been getting more frequent over the past year and it really sucks. . I am going to try some Winn Jumbo grips and slightly softer Aldila shafts pretty soon. I have them on the work bench ready to go.

:)

Please don't waste my time with such nonsense and don't try and twist my words. Talk to yourself because I'm certainly not giving you a platform to continue to sprout such complete rubbish.

Israel has nothing to do with subjugating women under the guise of Allah.

:)

Please don't waste my time with such nonsense and don't try and twist my words. Talk to yourself because I'm certainly not giving you a platform to continue to sprout such complete rubbish.
No one is forcing you to say out loud the ugly things you have in mind. If you can't handle a response, keep them to yourself.

Clearly any effort to impose the stone age Wahhabism of Saud
You're one of those... I suppose it would be a waste of time for me to respond to you. Let this be a sufficient answer: Those who prefer the truth, look for it, others turn away from it.
https://muflihun.com/bukhari/52/250 --- Narrated Ibn Abbas: That he heard the Prophet saying, "It is not permissible for a man to be alone with a woman, and no lady should travel except with a Muhram (i.e. her husband or a person whom she cannot marry in any case for ever; e.g. her father, brother, etc.)." Then a man got up and said, "O Allah's Apostle! I have enlisted in the army for such-and-such Ghazwa and my wife is proceeding for Hajj." Allah's Apostle ﷺ said, "Go, and perform the Hajj with your wife." --- حَدَّثَنَا قُتَيْبَةُ بْنُ سَعِيدٍ، حَدَّثَنَا سُفْيَانُ، عَنْ عَمْرٍو، عَنْ أَبِي مَعْبَدٍ، عَنِ ابْنِ عَبَّاسٍ ـ رضى الله عنهما ـ أَنَّهُ سَمِعَ النَّبِيَّ صلى الله عليه وسلم يَقُولُ ‏"‏ لاَ يَخْلُوَنَّ رَجُلٌ بِامْرَأَةٍ، وَلاَ تُسَافِرَنَّ امْرَأَةٌ إِلاَّ وَمَعَهَا مَحْرَمٌ ‏"‏‏.‏ فَقَامَ رَجُلٌ فَقَالَ يَا رَسُولَ اللَّهِ، اكْتُتِبْتُ فِي غَزْوَةِ كَذَا وَكَذَا، وَخَرَجَتِ امْرَأَتِي حَاجَّةً‏.‏ قَالَ ‏"‏ اذْهَبْ فَحُجَّ مَعَ امْرَأَتِكَ ‏"‏‏.‏ Classification: Sahih (Authentic) Sahih al-Bukhari, 3006

Hamas pulled that regulation out of its arse, claiming falsely (like you) that it's Islamic.
It's from authentic Islamic sources. It is not permissable for Muslims to deny the authentic hadiths. Some people fear Islam so (or they follow the media that does) they have to pretend it is limited to a couple of countries and that other countries but the two or three have some "other kind of Islam".
Sunni is the largest sect of Islam and is a religion that is followed by as many as 90% of the 1.5 billion Muslims around the world. People that follow this branch of Islam are known as Sunnites or Sunnis.

Back
Top Bottom