• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Halliburton linked to BP oil spill

Manc Skipper

Wrinkly member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
It seems that BP were not alone in their culpability, as they said from the start. At least they faced up to theirs.

"Halliburton, a major contractor on BP's doomed Deepwater Horizon oil rig, where a fatal explosion led to the worst-ever offshore oil spill, knew that cement used in the project was unstable but went ahead anyway, a US presidential commission on the disaster has found. The report strengthened BP's case that it shares blame for the Gulf of Mexico disaster with its business partners, and shares in Halliburton fell 16 per cent after the findings.

Halliburton conducted four tests on cement used to seal the bottom of the well, two just days before the well was activated. Only one of the tests suggested the cement was stable. BP was told by Halliburton about the findings of one failed test, but it was buried deep in a report... "

Halliburton linked to BP oil spill - Americas, World - The Independent

Last edited:
It seems that BP were not alone in their culpability, as they said from the start. At least they faced up to theirs.

"Halliburton, a major contractor on BP's doomed Deepwater Horizon oil rig, where a fatal explosion led to the worst-ever offshore oil spill, knew that cement used in the project was unstable but went ahead anyway, a US presidential commission on the disaster has found. The report strengthened BP's case that it shares blame for the Gulf of Mexico disaster with its business partners, and shares in Halliburton fell 16 per cent after the findings.

Halliburton conducted four tests on cement used to seal the bottom of the well, two just days before the well was activated. Only one of the tests suggested the cement was stable. BP was told by Halliburton about the findings of one failed test, but it was buried deep in a report... "

I bet the government really goes after Halliburton for this. I also bet that they will reach a settlement, pay a pitance of a fine, and not admit any wrong doing. I suspect that their legal fees will be twice what they have to pay in fines. :2mad:

Last edited:

As expected. I said Haliburton was the one to blame, not BP. BP has the blame for other stuff but not the disaster it self.

As expected. I said Haliburton was the one to blame, not BP. BP has the blame for other stuff but not the disaster it self.

Of course it is their fault, they should have known better than to hire HB!11! :neutral:

Of course it is their fault, they should have known better than to hire HB!11! :neutral:

True!

Then again they seem to have know about the problem, so that is also wrong .. but in the end, it is Haliburtons fault that the well blew. Sadly, Haliburton aint a US company any more but one of those "evil aarreeeb" countries problem.... Dubai I think.

True!

Then again they seem to have know about the problem, so that is also wrong .. but in the end, it is Haliburtons fault that the well blew. Sadly, Haliburton aint a US company any more but one of those "evil aarreeeb" countries problem.... Dubai I think.

A bad cement job has been one of the prime suspects from the beginning. That, in and of itself, doesn't mean anybody was at fault. If their tests failed and they continued on any way, that's a different story altogether. I haven't seen any reports yet, but I don't think there's much chance that Halliburton pulled one over on BP. Are they talking about tests that were run in a lab? Or are they talking about tests that were run inside the well? Anybody know?

if nothing else.. it shows the technology for deep ocean drilling is not as "safe" as once claimed.

It was just in case your missed it the first time.
I just assumed it was common knowledge. Maybe it is around here but not everywhere else. :shrug:

I just assumed it was common knowledge. Maybe it is around here but not everywhere else. :shrug:

Even if it isn't common knowledge it is a pretty good political strategy to re-release this. Voters tend to be more short sided and like to place blame with a party. And since most associate Halliburton with the Republicans it was a pretty smart move.

If their tests failed and they continued on any way, that's a different story altogether.

That's apparently exactly what happened.

I haven't seen any reports yet, but I don't think there's much chance that Halliburton pulled one over on BP. Are they talking about tests that were run in a lab? Or are they talking about tests that were run inside the well? Anybody know?

Not sure. Here's what I've found so far...

Shares of Halliburton (NYSE:HAL) tumbled 11% Thursday upon news that it knew its recommended cement used to seal BP Plc's (NYSE:BP) Macondo well was unstable in tests and may have contributed to the April 20th blowout, according to a report from a national commission investigation.

The National Commission said documents Halliburton provided suggested that as many as three tests of the mixture were carried out, in February and April, and found the mixture to be unstable.

The companies "both had results in March showing that a very similar foam slurry design to the one actually pumped at the Macondo well would be unstable, but neither acted upon that data,"
according to a letter. --Zacks.com

Back
Top Bottom