• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hail Satan

First, consider the source. As usual, CNN deliberately misrepresents the case. That is what happens when you use Fake News by the Enemy of the People.

The Bremerton School District clearly violated the coach's free speech and free exercise inherent rights. The Ninth Circuit Court was completely wrong, again, as they have been more than 80% of the time. Taking a knee and reciting a prayer in the middle of the football field after the game is not the government attempting to establish a religion, therefore the coach's actions could not have violated the Establishment Clause. Therefore, by firing the coach they violated his First Amendment rights.
He was hired to coach football not proselytize his religion at games where the crowd came to watch football and that is why he got fired. The school must give equal time to satanists, muslims and any other religion that desires a venue if he is allowed to pray for crowds at football games and I fully expect that is what will happen. You can kiss high school football goodbye when that takes hold. I think that is a good thing BTW

Good grief.

Do we really need yet ANOTHER primer on the meaning and purpose of "separation of church and state?"

Because honestly, those who pout gloomiest about there not being one are the very ones whose church IS the state - so please....
Apparently you need an education on the Establishment Clause. The First Amendment specifically prohibits Congress from establishing a national religion. The only way Congress can establish a national religion is by enacting a law. Coaches do not enact laws. Valedictorians giving a graduation speech do not enact laws. People gathering together to pray on public property do not enact laws. Only Congress is capable of establishing a national religion. So all this other bullshit about government employees - other than Congress - establishing a national religion is pure leftist sophistry.

Actually, there was no mention to whom the coach was praying. Nor does it matter. He had the constitutionally-protected right to pray to whomever he pleased. Firing him for expressing that right - after the game was over - is clearly an infringement of his right to both free speech and his right to freely exercise his religious beliefs, whatever those beliefs happen to be.
The school has no obligation to give him a venue to preach his religion. He can start his own church if he wants to do that.

Apparently you need an education on the Establishment Clause. The First Amendment specifically prohibits Congress from establishing a national religion. The only way Congress can establish a national religion is by enacting a law. Coaches do not enact laws. Valedictorians giving a graduation speech do not enact laws. People gathering together to pray on public property do not enact laws. Only Congress is capable of establishing a national religion. So all this other bullshit about government employees - other than Congress - establishing a national religion is pure leftist sophistry.
Friend - I am in 100% agreement with you and sorry if you took what I said differently.

No one is establishing a national religion here, let alone proposing we establish one - save perhaps those statists whose religion IS the state.

And as you rightly note, the leftist sophistry is persistently attempting to paint any activity remotely deemed "religious" (like a prayer, or like kneeling, or reading the bible, or even uttering the name God) as a violation of church and state unless it's done in total privacy and out of the prying eyes of leftist social monitors.

He was hired to coach football not proselytize his religion at games where the crowd came to watch football and that is why he got fired. The school must give equal time to satanists, muslims and any other religion that desires a venue if he is allowed to pray for crowds at football games and I fully expect that is what will happen. You can kiss high school football goodbye when that takes hold. I think that is a good thing BTW
No, that is not why he was fired. You obviously didn't read the case.

The District Court found that the “‘sole reason’ for the District’s decision to suspend Mr. Kennedy was its perceived “risk of constitutional liability” under the Establishment Clause for his “religious conduct” after three games in October 2015.

It had absolutely nothing to do with his duties for which he was hired, and everything do with infringing on his constitutionally-protected right.

Preaching religion at State sponsored gatherings is tantamount to a State religion unless all religions receive equal time when they request it. That means any religion that wants to speak at football games must also be accomodated. You need to acknowledge that.

Friend - I am in 100% agreement with you and sorry if you took what I said differently.

No one is establishing a national religion here, let alone proposing we establish one - save perhaps those statists whose religion IS the state.

And as you rightly note, the leftist sophistry is persistently attempting to paint any activity remotely deemed "religious" (like a prayer, or like kneeling, or reading the bible, or even uttering the name God) as a violation of church and state unless it's done in total privacy and out of the prying eyes of leftist social monitors.
As long as other religions get equal time of course. Excluding Satanists and muslims from these prayer meetings would mean we are establishing a State religion so buckle up it;s going to get bumpy.

Preaching religion at State sponsored gatherings is tantamount to a State religion unless all religions receive equal time when they request it. That means any religion that wants to speak at football games must also be accomodated. You need to acknowledge that.
ROFL! No, it is not. Not even close.

A national religion can only be established by Congress through the enactment of a law. There is no other possible way to establish a national religion. Certainly not by coaches praying in the middle of a football field after a game. You truly have no clue that is very obvious.

As long as other religions get equal time of course. Excluding Satanists and muslims from these prayer meetings would mean we are establishing a State religion so buckle up it;s going to get bumpy.
It isn't a government sponsored event, so no equal time is necessary. You are really reaching now. Why don't you hold your breath until you turn blue? That is about as rational as anything you've suggested thus far.

ROFL! No, it is not. Not even close.

A national religion can only be established by Congress through the enactment of a law. There is no other possible way to establish a national religion. Certainly not by coaches praying in the middle of a football field after a game. You truly have no clue that is very obvious.
Denying any religion that requests equal time at the game would be discriminating against religion wouldn't it? The Satanists have already requested it and want to preach at every game too. The school will have no choice but to agree.

It isn't a government sponsored event, so no equal time is necessary. You are really reaching now. Why don't you hold your breath until you turn blue? That is about as rational as anything you've suggested thus far.
Huh? It is on State property and the games are sponsored by the State run public school. That is a Govt. sponsored event and equal time must be allowed to any religion that requests it. Discrimination by the State against any religion is unconstitutional. That was used in the schools argument to the court and not addressed at all.

This has to be one of the dumbest arguments about this topic I've heard in some time.

First, to clarify, he wasn't "preaching religion." He was praying.
Second, just because it's a public high school, allowing someone to pray at one of their "sponsored activities" does not mean that somehow constitutes a "State religion." Such logic is manifestly absurd.
Third, allowing one person to pray in no wise means they must give "equal time" to all religions - that's ridiculous. But to your point, sure, if there are other "religions" represented on the teams and they want to pray, let em pray.

But please.... this truly isn't the earth-shattering debacle you think it is. It's just a prayer. Why does that threaten you so?

This has to be one of the dumbest arguments about this topic I've heard in some time.

First, to clarify, he wasn't "preaching religion." He was praying.
Second, just because it's a public high school, allowing someone to pray at one of their "sponsored activities" does not mean that somehow constitutes a "State religion." Such logic is manifestly absurd.
Third, allowing one person to pray in no wise means they must give "equal time" to all religions - that's ridiculous. But to your point, sure, if there are other "religions" represented on the teams and they want to pray, let em pray.

But please.... this truly isn't the earth-shattering debacle you think it is. It's just a prayer. Why does that threaten you so?
Satanists want to pray to the crowd too. Isn't that their right as much as the coaches? Why are you threatened by that? Don't we have freedom of religion?

Satanists want to pray to the crowd too. Isn't that their right as much as the coaches? Why are you threatened by that? Don't we have freedom of religion?
You think you're entitled to the same rights the coach has without paying any of the "dues" the coach - and his team had to pay to get to the point where they could pray on the field.

Well, you're not. If you want to pray to Satan on that field then get yourself a damn high school football team and yourself to a damn coaching class and get on the field the way you're supposed to - the way they did.

And someday, if you ever make it to being a high school coach, after the game, win or lose, you can go to the center of the field and pray all you want to Satan.

Frankly, I'd pay to watch that.

Is that what we now can expect to hear at high school football games now? Since the SC ruling now considers public prayer a protected right I certainly hope so. Equal time for Satan is important as is time for every other religion and atheists too. I hope they have time to play the game after the prayers are finished. Or maybe the game is not that important....

Supreme Court further erodes separation between church and state in case of praying football coach​

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/27/poli...-high-school-supreme-court-kennedy/index.html
The coach prayed after the game, not before it. Since we enjoy freedom of religion in the U.S. you may want to pray to satan at the next game you attend. You can't convince me that the prayers of others affect your life negatively.

The coach prayed after the game, not before it. Since we enjoy freedom of religion in the U.S. you may want to pray to satan at the next game you attend. You can't convince me that the prayers of others affect your life negatively.
A coach using his position to indoctrinate children in his religion is but one of the negatives that his behavior demonstrates.

A coach using his position to indoctrinate children in his religion is but one of the negatives that his behavior demonstrates.
In way did he indoctrinate anyone? If I were to crawl down a city street would that be indocrination of the people who are walking?

In way did he indoctrinate anyone? If I were to crawl down a city street would that be indocrination of the people who are walking?
LOL You have no clue about what was really going on. He was preaching sermons to his players on the 50 yard line after every game. Of course he claimed the players were there voluntarily which is not a "thing" in football. If you want to play you suck up to the coach...period.

fox_ff_coach_151015c-800x430-1.jpg

Last edited:
You think you're entitled to the same rights the coach has without paying any of the "dues" the coach - and his team had to pay to get to the point where they could pray on the field.

Well, you're not. If you want to pray to Satan on that field then get yourself a damn high school football team and yourself to a damn coaching class and get on the field the way you're supposed to - the way they did.

And someday, if you ever make it to being a high school coach, after the game, win or lose, you can go to the center of the field and pray all you want to Satan.

Frankly, I'd pay to watch that.
The coach is paid to teach football not indoctrinate children in religion. That is what church is for. It is a dereliction of his duties and using his position of authority to coerce and "groom" children. There is also no reason that any other religion can't demand equal time on the field and that is already what Satanists are doing. The SC must uphold their right to equal time unless they state that Christianity is now our State religion. I believe that is blatantly against our Constitution.

Actually, there was no mention to whom the coach was praying. Nor does it matter. He had the constitutionally-protected right to pray to whomever he pleased. Firing him for expressing that right - after the game was over - is clearly an infringement of his right to both free speech and his right to freely exercise his religious beliefs, whatever those beliefs happen to be.
LOL The coach is a devout Christian or the court would have ruled differently. He cannot use his position of authority to "groom' children in his religion regardless. Surely you understand that concept?

Back
Top Bottom