• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Hacked baby monitor--yet another potential danger to worry over

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
I heard about this on Fox News, which commented that the hacker was probably no further than 500 feet of the house. Ironically, the toddler that the creep was talking dirty to is deaf, but I guess if you know anybody using a fancy baby monitor that WiFi makes them vulnerable too. Disgusting. Baby Monitor Hacking Alarms Houston Parents - ABC News

Chances are good that if you have a wifi baby monitor there is also a host of other exploitable devices in your home.

Modern life is becoming too Orwellian. I guess the good news out of this is that now parents will be aware of the vulnerability. Sigh.

Last edited:
Why does the baby monitor need to be connected to the internet when the parents are in the house?

I don't know. Why are so many people unable to walk without a cell phone embedded in their hand? Maybe they live in houses that have more than four rooms or an upstairs or downstairs.

Some people live on the internet.

That is true but it does not need to happen. I guess people have to re-learn what privacy means.

I heard about this on Fox News, which commented that the hacker was probably no further than 500 feet of the house. Ironically, the toddler that the creep was talking dirty to is deaf, but I guess if you know anybody using a fancy baby monitor that WiFi makes them vulnerable too. Disgusting. Baby Monitor Hacking Alarms Houston Parents - ABC News

DON'T USE THE INTERNET TO 'KEEP YOU SAFE' - What the **** is wrong with people. :roll:

Their kid would have probably died if their internet went down :roll:

I dont need a monitor to be a parent.

Agreed.

You don't need a monitor to be a parent.

But a monitor makes being a parent a lot easier and doesn't necessarially make you a worse parent.

I suppose an overreliance on technology can make you a worse parent, but to turn the monitor on when the baby goes down for a nap in the afternoon in order to go outside an pull weeds in the garden isn't hurting anyone, least of all the baby.

I am an idiot then. I kept them close when they were babies. I dont need a monitor to be a parent.

I never had one - didn't need one. Small apartment or small house. I was up at the drop of a dime - and just left their door cracked open.

Babies have ear piercing cries for a reason. . . all that time in the womb pushing fluid really builds up some serious power.

Agreed.

You don't need a monitor to be a parent.

But a monitor makes being a parent a lot easier and doesn't necessarially make you a worse parent.

I suppose an overreliance on technology can make you a worse parent, but to turn the monitor on when the baby goes down for a nap in the afternoon in order to go outside an pull weeds in the garden isn't hurting anyone, least of all the baby.
My god how did my generation make it with mom out side weeding and me being in my crib?
LOL

My god how did my generation make it with mom out side weeding and me being in my crib?
LOL

So lemme get this straight.

Two comments ago your were disparaging the use of monitors because you would just keep your kid within arms-reach of you 24 hours a day, even going so far as to install a bed for the baby in your own bedroom.

Now your disparaging monitors because your mother would just go outside and dick around and if you cried, mehhh, so what, it didn't do you any harm.

Or did it?

How can someone argue the same topic from two opposite ends of the spectrum, being equally invested in both polar opposite arguments, within the span of five minutes, and expect others to not think that he suffered some degree of brain damage crying his head of in his crib while mom was out back knocking back a Long Island Iced Tea with the neighbor lady?

LMAO

You're just completely schizo.

If "this" is what results from your family's method off child rearing, thanks very much, but I'm gonna keep as far away from it as possible.

I never had one - didn't need one. Small apartment or small house. I was up at the drop of a dime - and just left their door cracked open.

Babies have ear piercing cries for a reason. . . all that time in the womb pushing fluid really builds up some serious power.

And a mom's hearing changes too. One ear is always open...always.

Yep - and it never really goes back to 'sleeping through anything'

When my husband developed his heart and lung issue - it would wake me up, just the uneven breathing. Ever since then - I've made it through my day with around 5 hrs of sleep each night.

LOL

Same way they made it with cloth diapers (which I actually did use too and loved).

Of course, most parents choose the convenience of disposable diapers...and they like the new-fangled car seats and contraptions that allow baby to be mobile but safe. ;)

I suspect dads may be biologicallly imune to that "change".

My guys could be wailing their brains out and I wouldn't hear a thing until after mom kicked me in the back and snarled at me that it was my turn to check on the kids.

So lemme get this straight.

Two comments ago your were disparaging the use of monitors because you would just keep your kid within arms-reach of you 24 hours a day, even going so far as to install a bed for the baby in your own bedroom.

Now your disparaging monitors because your mother would just go outside and dick around and if you cried, mehhh, so what, it didn't do you any harm.

Or did it?

How can someone argue the same topic from two opposite ends of the spectrum, being equally invested in both polar opposite arguments, within the span of five minutes, and expect others to not think that he suffered some degree of brain damage crying his head of in his crib while mom was out back knocking back a Long Island Iced Tea with the neighbor lady?

LMAO

You're just completely schizo.

If "this" is what results from your family's method off child rearing, thanks very much, but I'm gonna keep as far away from it as possible.
Hahahahaha.
What was a baby monitor in 1963? Oh, yea. A baby cried. We didnt rely on some slick new tech to monitor our kids until now. Now that we are a weak dependant society.
And my mom? You have a comment on my mother? You couldnt carry my mothers water.
At night babies were kept in parents bedrooms many times. You know, back when we took care of our kids.
And during the day, the windows were open and we lived in decent neighborhoods. If baby cried, we would hear it and go in.
Let me guess, you never left your home?

Hahahahaha.
What was a baby monitor in 1963? Oh, yea. A baby cried. We didnt rely on some slick new tech to monitor our kids until now. Now that we are a weak dependant society.
And my mom? You have a comment on my mother? You couldnt carry my mothers water.
At night babies were kept in parents bedrooms many times. You know, back when we took care of our kids.
And during the day, the windows were open and we lived in decent neighborhoods. If baby cried, we would hear it and go in.

Yes, society has changed in some ways. But the fact is that even back in 1963, technology that was available was being embraced.

Baby Incubation, Incubators for control of temperature and environment.

The History of Diapers - Disposable & Cloth :: Diaper Jungle

What was a baby monitor in 1963? Oh, yea. A baby cried. We didnt rely on some slick new tech to monitor our kids until now.

Yeah, back in 1963 we'd drive around with a six pack on the passenger seat and a beer in our hand. If our car even had seat belts we didn't bother to use them. And we'd put the baby in a wicker basket in the bed of the pickup truck.

Ahhhh, the "good ol' days".

Now that we are a weak dependant society.

If so, we can blame that on your and your parents' generation.

They're responsible for what passes as "citizens" today.

They raised them and nurtured them.

**** son. Your mommy would be calling me daddy.

And you wonder why we have a dependent society.

Hmmmm...

You gotta cut the cord some time brother.

If I didn't have a monitor with me, when my baby cried I'd hear the air conditioner.

Yeah, yeah, I know. "Soft" society today and their confounded air conditioner machines!!!

LOL

Everything eelse you said was dumb, but made a modicum of sense.

This is just completely out of left field.

Yeah, back in 1963 we'd drive around with a six pack on the passenger seat and a beer in our hand. If our car even had seat belts we didn't bother to use them. And we'd put the baby in a wicker basket in the bed of the pickup truck.

Ahhhh, the "good ol' days".

If so, we can blame that on your and your parents' generation.

They're responsible for what passes as "citizens" today.

They raised them and nurtured them.

**** son. Your mommy would be calling me daddy.

And you wonder why we have a dependent society.

Hmmmm...

You gotta cut the cord some time brother.

If I didn't have a monitor with me, when my baby cried I'd hear the air conditioner.

Yeah, yeah, I know. "Soft" society today and their confounded air conditioner machines!!!

LOL

Everything eelse you said was dumb, but made a modicum of sense.

This is just completely out of left field.
Without my parents generation, you would be speaking german or japanese.
You need to learn what being a grown up is all about.
By growing up.

Back
Top Bottom