• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

H.W. Bush witnesses same-sex marriage

Blue_State

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal

Former president George H.W. Bush served as an official witness at a same-sex marriage ceremony in Maine last weekend.

Bush and wife Barbara attended the wedding of two long-time friends, Bonnie Clement and Helen Thorgalsen, who own a general store in Kennebunkport.

I just wanted to post this somewhere. It pleased me.

I just wanted to post this somewhere. It pleased me.

Did George wear his 'apropo' socks to the ceremony?

130612052050_BushSocks.jpg

I thought he was religious type, you know against it.

When he shaved his head for the cancer boy George H.W. Bush already went up in my admiration but now I must say he exceeds every expectation I have ever had for George H.W. Bush. He clearly shows where he stands on respecting the right of 2 people of the same sex to be joined in matrimony and it is a pleasant surprise. It again proves that some republicans do support the rights of gays and lesbians.

Some people are going to be very upset by this

Looks like he's getting old and senile to me, ha ha. He's even thrown his Bible in the trash to justify this.

I am sorry you feel that way. He may have simply gone to Romans 14:1-4.

"As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand."

Looks like he's getting old and senile to me, ha ha. He's even thrown his Bible in the trash to justify this.

Because tolerating gay people through a rejection of institutional discrimination is anti-Jesus?

Because tolerating gay people through a rejection of institutional discrimination is anti-Jesus?

I don't see where Jesus defended or promoted sin. Instead he told people to repent and receive him as Lord and Savior.

I am sorry you feel that way. He may have simply gone to Romans 14:1-4.

"As for the one who is weak in faith, welcome him, but not to quarrel over opinions. One person believes he may eat anything, while the weak person eats only vegetables. Let not the one who eats despise the one who abstains, and let not the one who abstains pass judgment on the one who eats, for God has welcomed him. Who are you to pass judgment on the servant of another? It is before his own master that he stands or falls. And he will be upheld, for the Lord is able to make him stand."

Whatever happened to repentance and turning from one's sins?

I don't see where Jesus defended or promoted sin.

I made no such claim, you're tilting at windmills.

Instead he told people to repent and receive him as Lord and Savior.

Yeah, yeah, we've all heard it.

President Bush has nothing to repent for. He is not committing a sin by witnessing a wedding of a gay couple. Therefore there is no need to repent.

He is however being a good ambassador for Catholics. Kinda like the Pope has been doing. He must have thrown away the bible too according to you.

Homosexuality is not a "sin" from which one can turn. You can spin around, again and again, and it will still be there. Asking someone to become hetero is monstrous, disgusting and against everything Jesus taught.

President Bush has nothing to repent for. He is not committing a sin by witnessing a wedding of a gay couple. Therefore there is no need to repent.

He is however being a good ambassador for Catholics. Kinda like the Pope has been doing. He must have thrown away the bible too according to you.

I disagree. A Bible-believing Christian shouldn't give the appearance of showing support for a sinful relationship.

As for the Pope, he doesn't support gay marriage either.

Homosexuality is not a "sin" from which one can turn. You can spin around, again and again, and it will still be there. Asking someone to become hetero is monstrous, disgusting and against everything Jesus taught.

No control over dropping one's trousers for a sinful act? Surely you jest. I also think the Holy Spirit can change a person's priorities.

Regarding Jesus, he is God, and the one who gave the scriptural admonitions against gay sexual relations.

No control over dropping one's trousers for a sinful act? Surely you jest. I also think the Holy Spirit can change a person's priorities.

Abstention does not make you straight, it just makes one nuts.

Regarding Jesus, he is God, and the one who gave the scriptural admonitions against gay sexual relations.

Where did Jesus say that.

I disagree. A Bible-believing Christian shouldn't give the appearance of showing support for a sinful relationship.

As for the Pope, he doesn't support gay marriage either.

Again, I am sorry you feel this way. As a Bible-believing Christian, I focus on the message of compassion, not judgement.

The Pope went out of his way to discuss the gay community. He stated:

“If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” - Pope Francis

Compassion...not judgement.

Where did Jesus say that.

Well we know God gave the commandments against gay sexual relations in Leviticus 18:22 and 20:13, and in the New Testament we see where gay sexual relations are sinful in Romans 1:26-27, etc. And then all you have to do is admit the Bible teaches that Jesus is God (see link below).

The Deity of Jesus Christ in Scripture « The Righter Report

And if you need evidence that Jesus is the divine speaker in the Burning Bush you can review the material in this link:

Angel of the LORD

Have you ever studied the Bible?

Again, I am sorry you feel this way. As a Bible-believing Christian, I focus on the message of compassion, not judgement.

The Pope went out of his way to discuss the gay community. He stated:

“If someone is gay and he searches for the Lord and has good will, who am I to judge?” - Pope Francis

Compassion...not judgement.

It's not as simple as that.

Compassion is setting the record straight so people can turn from their sins, be saved, and enjoy eternal life.

Withholding the truth, IMO, is what's detrimental to people's well being. With friends who do that who needs enemies?

Last edited:
I was at a same sex commitment ceremony two weeks ago. One of them grew up with my oldest daughter and lived with us for about a year. Love both of them to tears. Hope they know a lifetime of happiness. Still dont agree with gay marriage.

Compassion is setting the record straight so people can turn from their sins, be saved, and enjoy eternal life.

Withholding the truth, IMO, is what's detrimental to people's well being. With friends who do that who needs enemies?

I would argue it is not as complicated as that.

Be well my friend.

No one needs you to tell them this, like they haven't heard it over and over again from bible thumpers for years. We are all well aware! It's the individual's life to do with as he sees fit, and the kind of hateful bullying you are about only turns people, gay and straight, away from the church.

Back
Top Bottom