• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guy Clark, a King of the Texas Troubadours, Dead at 74

nota bene

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
From the NY Times:

Nashville: Guy Clark, who along with Townes Van Zandt, Jerry Jeff Walker and others patented the rugged, imagistic brand of narrative-rich songwriting that became associated with the Texas Troubadour movement of the 1970s and '80's, died Tuesday at his home here. He was 74.
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/18/a...the-texas-troubadours-is-dead-at-74.html?_r=0

On the inspiration for "LA Freeway":

Before finally settling in Nashville, Clark briefly lived in Los Angeles, where he pursued a publishing deal and worked at a local dobro factory. But the Texas native didn't exactly like the lure of Hollywood – the long hours on the highway weren't feeding his soul, and one day while on the road back from a gig in San Diego, a thought popped into his head. "If I can just get off of this L.A Freeway without getting killed or caught," he thought, realizing the power of the line and quickly jotting it down on the back of a burger sack with his wife Susanna's eyebrow pencil. The note became the basis for "L.A. Freeway," the second song on his debut LP Old No. 1. Opening with a simple strum soon met with a wistful fiddle, it was not only a tune about leaving California but the restless spirit of anyone who feels the crush of a reality they often dream about escaping.
"L.A. Freeway" - Guy Clark: 12 Essential Songs | Rolling Stone

The Music in that 1970's period in Austin was something special.
I was fortunate enough to get to spend time at the armadillo world headquarters as a teen.

Wow!

He could write! Thanks for these!

"The kind of things you reach for when you fall" <-- an absolutely excellent line

He starts with possessions, then good friends, then ends with his women - great progression! And then he finishes with "Everything she touches turns to gold", which is how I feel about my wife!

And "Let Him Roll" was chilling!

Wow!

He could write! Thanks for these!

"The kind of things you reach for when you fall" <-- an absolutely excellent line

He starts with possessions, then good friends, then ends with his women - great progression! And then he finishes with "Everything she touches turns to gold", which is how I feel about my wife!

And "Let Him Roll" was chilling!

He and his wfe were good friends with Townes Van Zandt who was also a damn good songwriter but, unfortunately, lacked the self control of Guy Clark.

We Were From Texas: Guy Clark and the high price of inspiration - Music - The Austin Chronicle

The Music in that 1970's period in Austin was something special.
I was fortunate enough to get to spend time at the armadillo world headquarters as a teen.

Yes, Nelson, Jennings, Jerry Jeff Walker, Michael, Murphy, Willis Alan Ramsey, Asleep at the Wheel .....all put out great music during that era.

Yes, Nelson, Jennings, Jerry Jeff Walker, Michael, Murphy, Willis Alan Ramsey, Asleep at the Wheel .....all put out great music during that era.
There was a Bar/music place in Huntsville, TX called the Guaranteed Wholesome, that
had a lot of similar bands come through in the late 70's.
I think it burned down, but the music was great.

Here's another good article about Clark's influence. I think though, that there is an inaccuracy, and perhaps somebody can clarify: Reference is made to Patty Griffith, but I'm almost certain the writer meant Nanci Griffith (for whom the song "From a Distance," popularized by Bette Middler, was written).

Back
Top Bottom