• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guns: Weapons or Tools?

Are Guns Weapons or Tools?

• Total voters
I have said so many times... still killing from a weapon designed to kill, which was the point.

That is one heck of a strange interpretation... but that is what is great about the Constitution.
You can call it strange, but I call it effective........the last attempt to invade the US was in 1812; it didn't end well for the UK.

You can call it strange, but I call it effective........the last attempt to invade the US was in 1812; it didn't end well for the UK.
They kinda kicked our butts and burned down the White House... but OK.

Agreed, though I can appreciate flicks that are much more historically accurate. The new Midway movie was much more accurate than the 70s Midway movie.
I don't know how accurate it was because I stopped watching it because it was complete crap with regards to acting, directing and special effects.

Apollo 13 was was very accurate... which is one of the great things about it.

They kinda kicked our butts and burned down the White House... but OK.
Kinda didn't end well for the monarchists....most folks chose to be citizens rather than royal subjects.
Must have been thing whole thing about being free.....

I don't know how accurate it was because I stopped watching it because it was complete crap with regards to acting, directing and special effects.

Apollo 13 was was very accurate... which is one of the great things about it.
Eh, didn't Lovell say in an interview that there was zero dissention in the LM between them rather than what was portrayed in the film?

This is a Straw Man... I guess you meant to quote the one where you said more people are saved by guns than killed by them?

If not then this post is weird.

I admit, you got me. I misread in my hurry to post something "official." My bad.

However, I hold to the point that all weapons are tools, as defined by the word tools.

I am not understanding what actual issue you are raising when the fact is everything humankind creates to use for a specific purpose is a tool.

It is a distinction without a difference.

Idk, never hunted with one as it would not be nearly as efficient as a firearm.
it's really efficient for killing sentries at close range. It's really good for cutting a steak, tent posts, or rope. That's why it's called a "fighting-utility knife" and millions of US Service men and women have carried it since WWII. Made by several contractors-Ontario Knife company, Camillus (went bankrupt about 15 years ago), Case, and K-Bar among others, it was named a K-bar after one of the most prominent makers.

it's really efficient for killing sentries at close range. It's really good for cutting a steak, tent posts, or rope. That's why it's called a "fighting-utility knife" and millions of US Service men and women have carried it since WWII. Made by several contractors-Ontario Knife company, Camillus (went bankrupt about 15 years ago), Case, and K-Bar among others, it was named a K-bar after one of the most prominent makers.
Most people and animals are not killed like that. I am not sure what the problem is in admitting what kind of a tool a gun is.

Most people and animals are not killed like that. I am not sure what the problem is in admitting what kind of a tool a gun is.
what sort of tool is my K-80 Olympic skeet gun. My CZ Shadow II competition pistol? My "lead star" 9mm PCC carbine for steel shooting? My G-34 unlimited Division Glock pistol with a Faxon barrel and compensator? My Rock River Arms National Match AR 15

what sort of tool is my K-80 Olympic skeet gun. My CZ Shadow II competition pistol? My "lead star" 9mm PCC carbine for steel shooting? My G-34 unlimited Division Glock pistol with a Faxon barrel and compensator? My Rock River Arms National Match AR 15
That is all a red herring and you know it. Its like saying "I own a throwing ax, so obviously the primary purpose of an ax is not chopping..."

This really upsets gun nutters... not gun owners in general, but the ones that don't care about anything as much as caressing their guns loving as they stroke oil onto their weapons that were designed to kill people better... so you can win wars. Pretty simple.

In this argument, are guns WEAPONS or are the TOOLS?

Remember... anything can be used as a tool or for something that it was not intended to when designed. I tried explaining how we used our claw foot tub as a planter for an herb garden... but that is not what it was designed for. A car can be used to kill people but it was designed to move people about... not to kill.

Definition of gun

(Entry 1 of 2)
1a: a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory
b: a portable firearm (such as a rifle or handgun)

Definition of firearm

: a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder —usually used of small arms

Definition of weapon

(Entry 1 of 2)
1: something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
2: a means of contending against another

A gun is both a tool and a weapon.

I admit, you got me. I misread in my hurry to post something "official." My bad.

However, I hold to the point that all weapons are tools, as defined by the word tools.

I am not understanding what actual issue you are raising when the fact is everything humankind creates to use for a specific purpose is a tool.

It is a distinction without a difference.
My argument is that those that fall back on "a gun is just a tool" is disingenuous. Guns are weapons.

Kinda didn't end well for the monarchists....most folks chose to be citizens rather than royal subjects.
Must have been thing whole thing about being free.....
The British were free. They had a Parliament and the monarch had limited powers. Not unlike the US President and Congress.

We all follow laws in Western Democracies... if the laws allow for limited government intervention then it is pretty much the same.

My argument is that those that fall back on "a gun is just a tool" is disingenuous. Guns are weapons.
Anything can be a tool, and anything can be a weapon. If I smother you with a pillow, the pillow is a weapon. If I use a knife to tighten a flathead screw, the knife is a tool. Intent matters.

Anything can be a tool, and anything can be a weapon. If I smother you with a pillow, the pillow is a weapon. If I use a knife to tighten a flathead screw, the knife is a tool. Intent matters.
That is why I said "designed for". A pillow was designed to help a person sleep more comfortably. It was not designed as a weapon. A tank was designed as a weapon, it was not designed to family car to go visit grandma. The argument is about the distinction of being designed to be a weapon vs being designed to be a tool.

It is to show the disingenuous counter argument that a gun is just a tool.

Tools are hammers, shovels, brooms, etc.

Some examples of tools that are often used today are the hammer, the wrench (also called a spanner), saws, shovel, telephone, and the computer. Very basic things like knives, pens, and pencils are also tools.

The counter argument from Gun Nutters that a gun is just a tool is as stupid as saying that a stuffed animal is a tool because it can be used to sweep stuff up or wipe off a counter. Those that state that a gun is a tool and a weapon... all good. This is just about exposing Gun Nutter Stupidity.

And I showed that's a facile, agenda-based 'opinion.' That you were unable to refute. Post 36.

Back
Top Bottom