• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guns: Weapons or Tools?

Are Guns Weapons or Tools?

• Total voters
Unless you're going to say that neolithic tribesmen using spears and slings were not engaged in tool-using behavior.

This really upsets gun nutters... not gun owners in general, but the ones that don't care about anything as much as caressing their guns loving as they stroke oil onto their weapons that were designed to kill people better... so you can win wars. Pretty simple.

In this argument, are guns WEAPONS or are the TOOLS?

Remember... anything can be used as a tool or for something that it was not intended to when designed. I tried explaining how we used our claw foot tub as a planter for an herb garden... but that is not what it was designed for. A car can be used to kill people but it was designed to move people about... not to kill.

Definition of gun

(Entry 1 of 2)
1a: a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory
b: a portable firearm (such as a rifle or handgun)

Definition of firearm

: a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder —usually used of small arms

Definition of weapon

(Entry 1 of 2)
1: something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
2: a means of contending against another

What makes you think that weapons aren't tools?

Tyranyyyyyyy! 😆

Sure. But not near enough.

The main point is that you were incorrect about bulldozers, and incorrect in your implication that guns aren't subject to laws relating to their manufacture, sale, and use. Implication evidenced by your usual goalpost move.

Obviously... lots of innocent people are killed with them.
More people are saved by them. The tool in which people want to commit suicide or murder is inconsequential to society.

More people are saved by them. The tool in which people want to commit suicide or murder is inconsequential to society.
More people are saved by guns than die by guns? I bet that isn't even close to accurate.

Unless you're going to say that neolithic tribesmen using spears and slings were not engaged in tool-using behavior.
Spears were not invented/used for use in the early Neolithic Olympic Javelin Throw... they were for killing. Hunting prey and killing rival tribes/clans.

This really upsets gun nutters... not gun owners in general, but the ones that don't care about anything as much as caressing their guns loving as they stroke oil onto their weapons that were designed to kill people better... so you can win wars. Pretty simple.

Remember... anything can be used as a tool or for something that it was not intended to when designed. I tried explaining how we used our claw foot tub as a planter for an herb garden... but that is not what it was designed for. A car can be used to kill people but it was designed to move people about... not to kill.

Definition of gun

(Entry 1 of 2)
1a: a piece of ordnance usually with high muzzle velocity and comparatively flat trajectory

Definition of a tool:

Definition of tool

(Entry 1 of 3)
1a: a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task
b(1): the cutting or shaping part in a machine or machine tool
(2): a machine for shaping metal : MACHINE TOOL
2a: something (such as an instrument or apparatus) used in performing an operation or necessary in the practice of a vocation or profession, a scholar's books are his tools.

A gun (weapon) can be a tool.

For example, a hunter using it to hunt game for food or profit. A soldier using it in the profession of warfare. A citizen using it to defend self, others, and/or property. A marksman using it to win contests and rifle events.

Definition of a tool:

Definition of tool

(Entry 1 of 3)
1a: a handheld device that aids in accomplishing a task
b(1): the cutting or shaping part in a machine or machine tool
(2): a machine for shaping metal : MACHINE TOOL
2a: something (such as an instrument or apparatus) used in performing an operation or necessary in the practice of a vocation or profession, a scholar's books are his tools.

A gun (weapon) can be a tool.
I said that anything can be a tool... that is why I specified what it was designed to be. It was not designed to be a tool. It was designed to be a weapon.
For example, a hunter using it to hunt game for food or profit. A soldier using it in the profession of warfare. A citizen using it to defend self, others, and/or property. A marksman using it to win contests and rifle events.
Only helps my argument. I said it was designed to kill and the examples you are giving me are to kill.

Definition of gun

(Entry 1 of 2)

Definition of firearm

: a weapon from which a shot is discharged by gunpowder —usually used of small arms

Definition of weapon

(Entry 1 of 2)
1: something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy
2: a means of contending against another

WEAPON: something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy.

TOOL: Someone who incessantly posts idiotic polls on an internet forum.

WEAPON: something (such as a club, knife, or gun) used to injure, defeat, or destroy.

TOOL: Someone who incessantly posts idiotic polls on an internet forum.
thread winner

Since virtually everything is "potential hazardous", then according to your reasoning, virtually everything should be regulated by politicians.

Politicians don't regulate things, the people do.

I said that anything can be a tool... that is why I specified what it was designed to be. It was not designed to be a tool. It was designed to be a weapon.

Only helps my argument. I said it was designed to kill and the examples you are giving me are to kill.

You are playing a game of semantics. But a weapon IS first and foremost a tool.

The use of that TOOL is to be a weapon. Just like the use of a POT is to cook something.

The term "weapon" simply denotes the principal use of a gun, sword, dagger, bow, etc..

My point is that you are asserting mutually exclusive, when in fact as you point out yourself, a gun is BOTH.

It is a tool created for those purposes of hunting, sport, war, defense, etc.

You are playing a game of semantics. But a weapon IS first and foremost a tool.

The use of that TOOL is to be a weapon. Just like the use of a POT is to cook something.

The term "weapon" simply denotes the principal use of a gun, sword, dagger, bow, etc..

My point is that you are asserting mutually exclusive, when in fact as you point out yourself, a gun is BOTH.

It is a tool created for those purposes of hunting, sport, war, defense, etc.
What I have done quite clearly is show that people that use the word "tool" to describe a weapon are doing so to downplay the lethality of the gun as it is used everyday killing thousands each year. No other "tool" does that. Tools are shovels, brooms, drills, wrenches... no honest person calls a car a tool... it is a car. A gun is a weapon. A weapon is used to kill. That is what it was designed to do... what Gun Nutters are doing is what Pro-Lifers do when they call a zygote a baby... it is disingenuous bull shit.

Just look at the tools refusing to acknowledge that the purpose of a gun was designed to kill.

Ya mean like with cars? Are cars tools? Are they weapons?
Were cars specifically designed and produce to kill people? If not your argument is crap.

What I have done quite clearly is show that people that use the word "tool" to describe a weapon are doing so to downplay the lethality of the gun as it is used everyday killing thousands each year. No other "tool" does that. Tools are shovels, brooms, drills, wrenches... no honest person calls a car a tool... it is a car. A gun is a weapon. A weapon is used to kill. That is what it was designed to do... what Gun Nutters are doing is what Pro-Lifers do when they call a zygote a baby... it is disingenuous bull shit.

Just look at the tools refusing to acknowledge that the purpose of a gun was designed to kill.

Hmmm, well according to this article more people are killed in the USA with "blunt objects" than guns.

In fact that is pretty typical around the world, because more people have access to "blunt objects" than they do guns. Not to mention knives.

Were cars specifically designed and produce to kill people? If not your argument is crap.

The use of cars and guns kill about the same numbers of people every year. Take out suicides, and the situation with cars is far worse. Do you think we should have stricter laws relating guns, but not cars? If you think the answer to that question depends on what they are "designed" for, your argument is crap.

What I have done quite clearly is show that people that use the word "tool" to describe a weapon are doing so to downplay the lethality of the gun ...

No, what you have done is merely demonstrate that you don't understand (or you're deliberately misrepresenting) the point, which is that efforts to reduce violence should focus on the small percentage of people who are committing the violence, not the overwhelming majority who are using guns as "tools" for perfectly legitimate purposes.

Hmmm, well according to this article more people are killed in the USA with "blunt objects" than guns.

In fact that is pretty typical around the world, because more people have access to "blunt objects" than they do guns. Not to mention knives.
This is a Straw Man... I guess you meant to quote the one where you said more people are saved by guns than killed by them?

If not then this post is weird.

The use of cars and guns kill about the same numbers of people every year. Take out suicides, and the situation with cars is far worse. Do you think we should have stricter laws relating guns, but not cars? If you think the answer to that question depends on what they are "designed" for, your argument is crap.
My argument has nothing to do with death rates of any kind.

No, what you have done is merely demonstrate that you don't understand (or you're deliberately misrepresenting) the point,
This is my thread. I am the one that made THE POINT...
which is that efforts to reduce violence should focus on the small percentage of people who are committing the violence, not the overwhelming majority who are using guns as "tools" for perfectly legitimate purposes.
And this ain't it.

Back
Top Bottom