• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guns in america. A good or a bad thing?

It’s not to hard to figure out.

That is not something that conservative America thinks and is nothing more then a lie

Taking the opinions of a few fringe idiots and trying to pretend that it represents all of or even a majority of conservatives is simply dishonest.

More than 1 in 4 Republicans believe that mass shootings are faked in order to increase gun restrictions.

28%

That isn't a few fringe idiots. That is a mainstream Republican opinion in 2022.

So the cost of good guys having guns is the murder of many. If you are a good guy, why do you need a gun?
The 2A says I don’t need a reason.

Oh look it’s you once again giving your opinion on a topic you are clueless on.

Tell me do you take advice on how to treat your illnesses from people who never spent a day in medical school.

Anyone who bases what they need for self defense of your advice is an idiot.

So you think target practicing on weekends makes you an expert on public safety and national policy questions?

Mass shootings are becoming (yawn) so commonplace we splash it all over the news for a couple of days and then, nothing.

Hey, maybe if mass shooting deaths become as commonplace as drunk driving deaths, politicians won't talk about them at all, just like they do for drunk driving deaths. Problem solved!

Is the american taste for guns a good or bad thing?

Good or bad relative to what?

For people who enjoy owning and using firearms for legitimate purposes, it's obviously a good thing.

As far as whatever bad things that result from them, it certainly isn't nearly as bad as the bad things the result from the "american taste for" alcohol.

Handguns were made for killin' ain't no good for nothing else.

Sadly in america because of our second amendment we prefer to choose the rights of guns over the rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Apparently guns are more important than human life. Unless of course you are a fetus.

That's not true at all. Handguns are loads of fun to shoot at the shooting range. They're also good for defending oneself against violent sociopaths, which doesn't require killing anyone 90% of the time.

As I have said on many occasions, firearms is the easiest way to commit murder.

Of course. They are machines that facilitate killing, by design. That all is obvious. The ones I own are for killing, if necessary, admittedly.

Where I think the debate strays from reality is when we don't honestly discuss the need for guns, in the first place. How can we understand the dilemma without first comprehending the utility of guns to common men? We don't mention how property rights can exist in a world where might makes right. Whoever has the best gun can take what he wants. And if you take away guns, the guy with the best knife prevails, or the best crossbow or the biggest biceps. Nowhere in that paradigm is there fairness. It doesn't exist.

So, sadly, the fearful conservatives are more in line with lizard brain instinct, and that really appeals to the masses,, and the cloud-headed liberals are always trying to transcend the human condition and failing. I don't know who's worse.

Yes I do. It's the conservatives who know, and accept, might makes right. They are worse because they, above others, claim to serve god, the ultimate arbiter of justice, yet they don't really trust Him to do his job. They can't turn the other cheek except to get better aim.

The Republican Party refuses to admit the difference between a Constitutional right and mass murder.
After 3 Mass Shootings, a Thanksgiving With 14 Empty Chairs

A janitor working his shift at a Virginia Walmart. A 40-year-old woman returning home to Colorado Springs for the holidays. A young man at his girlfriend’s side, watching her friend perform in a drag show.

Three college football players. A mother who worked to help foster children. One bartender who remembered your drink and another who danced.

White and Black, gay and straight, old and young. The collection of the newly dead from just three of this month’s mass shootings are the very picture of the ideals — inclusivity, setting aside differences — that America prides itself on at this time each November.

Fourteen people who did not know their last Thanksgiving was already behind them.

What in the world are Republicans thinking? We don't have a clue, and they won't tell us.

Republicans captured the House in the November mid-terms, and their leader is the leading candidate for the Presidency in 2024.

Something is seriously wrong with America right now.

Assault rifles were not mass marketed to the public by gun manufacturers and conservative media until the last few decades. And when we consistently hear of disturbed individuals with histories of mental illness/violence behavior getting their hands on these weapons, it's clear the level of restrictions aren't anything near adequate.

I think telling the truth is the honorable thing to do, and I am not going to sugar coat things for you or anyone else in order to make you feel better. If that bothers you, I honestly don't care.
Well seeing as assault rifles are not mass marketed today I don’t really see what you are trying to claim.

And rifles like the AR have been available to the public for over 50 years. The US government used to sell the rifles used to fight WW2 to civilians.
And where do you see the mass marketing of rifles like ARs. I have never seen an add on tv or anywhere other than gun and hunting web sites.
So your claim of mass marketing is nothing other then BS.

And your opinion of what is out odd not adequate is meaningless.

If you honestly thought telling the truth was honorable you would think maybe you would do it a little more.

I'll waste some pixels stating something that everyone just ignores anyway: How about non-lethal PPDs instead of firearms? Stun guns, mace guns, sonic weapons, laser weapons, or anything that does not fire lethal chunks of metal traveling at supersonic speeds would suffice.

The recreational uses for firearms could be duplicated with an air rifle or CO2 pistol; either are capable of punching holes in paper cutouts of people or break small clay dishes. And for a Lot less money.

People don't want firearms for personal defense or an escapement from dangerous situations, people want the right to permanently injure or kill each other. We don't need to kill each other for any reason to survive in an otherwise civil society.

I'll waste some pixels stating something that everyone just ignores anyway: How about non-lethal PPDs instead of firearms? Stun guns, mace guns, sonic weapons, laser weapons, or anything that does not fire lethal chunks of metal traveling at supersonic speeds would suffice.

The recreational uses for firearms could be duplicated with an air rifle or CO2 pistol; either are capable of punching holes in paper cutouts of people or break small clay dishes. And for a Lot less money.

People don't want firearms for personal defense or an escapement from dangerous situations, people want the right to permanently injure or kill each other. We don't need to kill each other for any reason to survive in an otherwise civil society.

I would like to see the air rifle that is accurate at 1000 meters. Also the air shotgun that can break targets reliably from the 27 yard positions.

Not to mention the air shotguns that can be used for pass shooting geese.

But they would be cheaper than firearms, you say?

Mass shootings are becoming (yawn) so commonplace we splash it all over the news for a couple of days and then, nothing.

Is the american taste for guns a good or bad thing?
it's not an either/or situation. Guns have a place in America and OVERWHELMINGLY serve that requirement. Anyone that thinks they can actually remove every singLle gun from America is foolish, idiotic, or has an ulterior motive.
I was talking to a guy at the gym last week and he made an observation that I laughed at at the time: Maybe guns AREN'T the problem; maybe it's the tsunami of news coverage that follow the incident. Later, at home, I have a blinding flash of the obvious. He had a point - maybe the craving for notoriety of the chance to become famous is a factor in these cases. Frequently these shooters are loners, mostly insignificant members of society. Shy, awkward, mentally mis-wired. Going out in a blaze of "glory" and becoming "famous" becomes to all their real and imagined problems.
I don't know what the solution to this would be - reporters are like flies on poop - if one shows up hundreds follow, and there's the First Amendment and freedom of the press issues involved.

I would like to see the air rifle that is accurate at 1000 meters. Also the air shotgun that can break targets reliably from the 27 yard positions.

Not to mention the air shotguns that can be used for pass shooting geese.

But they would be cheaper than firearms, you say?
1000 meters is almost 2/3 mile; you are talking golf course distances - way to far to walk to see if you hit the target.

Bet I could build a pneumatic 'shot' gun that would break a target at 27 yards; non-lethal PPD is a wide-open market.

Shooting geese would also be viable with the new RF667799 patented design Pneumogun - it might be fun developing such devices, and make you (even more) rich in the long run.

Airgun pellets (of any caliber) are vastly cheaper than conventional ammunition; no cartridge, no primer, no gunpowder. Last box of twenty .300-Savage rifle bullets I bought were $32.00.

There is a level of velocity + mass necessary to kill rather than put a major hurt on someone; an air rifle 'could' kill with a strategically placed round right in the eye or something, but most any rifle or pistol could kill more than one person at a time with a more general aim. I wonder how many people a .700 Nitro with an armor-piercing bullet could kill at one time? 3? 4? More? A bullet of similar mass might be able to crack a skull using compressed air and a standard length rifle barrel, but probably still be considered non-lethal. Smokeless powder firearms are severe over-kill (pun intended).

Too late. We have chosen to allow easy access to rapid fire weapons. There is no going back without destroying the country.

Bury the stories so the shooters don't gain fame.

There is really nothing else we can do.

The politicians will continue to use it for their advantage.
What is getting buried is that 54% of all murders and over 51% of all crime committed in America are committed by black americans. So let's not cry about more blacks being in prison until you address the problem and how to clean it up. And no it's not all blacks, but it's a criminal element responsible for the lions share of the crime and it's one of those "racist" topics we can't talk about and the left media ignores.

it's not an either/or situation. Guns have a place in America and OVERWHELMINGLY serve that requirement. Anyone that thinks they can actually remove every singLle gun from America is foolish, idiotic, or has an ulterior motive.
I was talking to a guy at the gym last week and he made an observation that I laughed at at the time: Maybe guns AREN'T the problem; maybe it's the tsunami of news coverage that follow the incident. Later, at home, I have a blinding flash of the obvious. He had a point - maybe the craving for notoriety of the chance to become famous is a factor in these cases. Frequently these shooters are loners, mostly insignificant members of society. Shy, awkward, mentally mis-wired. Going out in a blaze of "glory" and becoming "famous" becomes to all their real and imagined problems.
I don't know what the solution to this would be - reporters are like flies on poop - if one shows up hundreds follow, and there's the First Amendment and freedom of the press issues involved.
There were over 600 mass shootings this year and the year isn't over. Which ones did the media cover? Most media is left wing, they don't cover the large number of mass shootings done by blacks to other blacks in black communities. Why? You know why, politics. In addition most mass shooters aren't white guys, they are young black guys.It's propaganda by the democrats and liberal media. Look it up. Mass shootings have to have 4 or more victims I believe. Check out Chicago any weekend, or Philadelphia for starters.

1000 meters is almost 2/3 mile; you are talking golf course distances - way to far to walk to see if you hit the target.

Bet I could build a pneumatic 'shot' gun that would break a target at 27 yards; non-lethal PPD is a wide-open market.

Shooting geese would also be viable with the new RF667799 patented design Pneumogun - it might be fun developing such devices, and make you (even more) rich in the long run.

Airgun pellets (of any caliber) are vastly cheaper than conventional ammunition; no cartridge, no primer, no gunpowder. Last box of twenty .300-Savage rifle bullets I bought were $32.00.

There is a level of velocity + mass necessary to kill rather than put a major hurt on someone; an air rifle 'could' kill with a strategically placed round right in the eye or something, but most any rifle or pistol could kill more than one person at a time with a more general aim. I wonder how many people a .700 Nitro with an armor-piercing bullet could kill at one time? 3? 4? More? A bullet of similar mass might be able to crack a skull using compressed air and a standard length rifle barrel, but probably still be considered non-lethal. Smokeless powder firearms are severe over-kill (pun intended).

Yet, targets are engaged at 1000 yards in some competitions.

27 yards is the distance to the trap at the farthest handicap distance in American Trap. The targets are broken farther out. Probably 40 yards from the gun, or a little more. I suppose an air shotgun could be built to launch an ounce or ounce and an eighth of shot. After all, they build air cannons that can launch a pumpkin. I anticipate helluva lines for the air compressors at events that can require 400 or more targets for full participation, and have hundreds of shooters in attendance.

An air rifle capable of being used to kill a deer, can certainly be used to kill a human. No shooting in the eye necessary. In fact, there are such airguns.

The 2A says I don’t need a reason.
No it doesn't. It says you have a right to bear arms. How many ballistic Missles do you own.

No it doesn't. It says you have a right to bear arms. How many ballistic Missles do you own.
Yet another ****ing stupid post.
Learn to read simple English.
I don‘t need a reason for a gun because of the 2A.

More than 1 in 4 Republicans believe that mass shootings are faked in order to increase gun restrictions.

28%

That isn't a few fringe idiots. That is a mainstream Republican opinion in 2022.

Even if you believe a poll which if the last few elections have not shown the fault in polling I don’t know what to tell you, that is still like I said far from a majority of conservative American. Which is the claim you tried to make. So yes it’s still a lot.

And even then the question asked has mass shootings been faked so a person could very easily believe that one somewhere has been faked while believing the rest are real.

So you think target practicing on weekends makes you an expert on public safety and national policy questions?
No and I didn’t claim to be. But I know that what you claim is all one needs for self defense is idiotic and shows you have no idea what you are talking about.

And I rarely shoot on the weekends. Using guns is a major part of how I earn a living.

I hear they're quite expensive. Elon Musk owns some, but he's a billionaire.

It's both.

Handguns were made for killin' ain't no good for nothing else.

Sadly in america because of our second amendment we prefer to choose the rights of guns over the rights of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Apparently guns are more important than human life. Unless of course you are a fetus.
Well who is surprised to see more lies from the gun control crowd.

And I rarely shoot on the weekends. Using guns is a major part of how I earn a living.

That’s like being a race car driver. But are you saying the public should be able to drive like a race car driver on public streets?

That’s like being a race car driver. But are you saying the public should be able to drive like a race car driver on public streets?
First that you have to cut out the first half of my post says quit a but.

And no it is not. A good weapon to use to defend your life is a good weapon to defend your life. Doesn’t matter if you are a great shoot or just average.

In fact I would have a much higher chance of success defending myself with just a small handgun then and average shooter. For them it’s a rather crappy choice.

Not that I expect you to understand this as you clearly have zero knowledge of weapons or self defense and yet think you can determine what other people need.

Yet another ****ing stupid post.
Learn to read simple English.
I don‘t need a reason for a gun because of the 2A.
You response is stupid. The 2nd does not say firearms. It says “arm”. The second does not say you don’t need a reason to own a gun

First that you have to cut out the first half of my post says quit a but.

And no it is not. A good weapon to use to defend your life is a good weapon to defend your life. Doesn’t matter if you are a great shoot or just average.

In fact I would have a much higher chance of success defending myself with just a small handgun then and average shooter. For them it’s a rather crappy choice.

Not that I expect you to understand this as you clearly have zero knowledge of weapons or self defense and yet think you can determine what other people need.

Which determination conveniently aligns with his political position.

Back
Top Bottom