• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Guns don't kill people, Vice Presidents who play with guns do, or almost...

26 X World Champs said:
OK Mr. Hypocrite explain this then, please? You know when someone's a blind loyalist it's way too easy to point out their mistakes Goobie...

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/14/p...&en=63a05f9718052989&ei=5094&partner=homepage

So please tell me how it's only "liberals" who are mean, bad and evil for making fun of Cheney?

C'mon Goobie, or any of you Republican junkies give us your best spin!

machinegun.gif

No spin, just...

Conservative compassion:
1) Man is shot
2) Conservatives laugh

Here's the first visual joke I've seen so far. Enjoy.

Attachments

• uglyposter.jpg
    uglyposter.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 11
ThePhoenix said:
Maybe then this will help clearify the situation,.
This is a public statement from VP office:

To say is is a poacher is not a fact. He was under the understanding that he was fully leagal at the time of the incident. I`m sure even you can understand how something like this could happen to anyone. I do not believe he would have intentionally broke any hunting laws.

Doesn't matter. He was illegally hunting game without the proper permits. That makes it poaching. If I made that same mistake there is no way in {expletive deleted} I'd get off with a warning, especially if I shot someone in the process. One more example of this administration being above the law.

Goobieman said:
Cheney has been on office for 5 years and the best thing the liberals can come up with agaimst him is that he went hunting w/o a $7 stamp that he thought he had.

You guys are FAR more pathetic than I thought, your "compassion" issues notwitstanding.

As a lifelong hunter (well sine I was old enough to legally do so) there are three things I detest.

Careless hunters.

Poachers.

Canned Hunters.

Cheney is all three. What a bucket of slime.

Goobieman said:
1: Man gets shot
2: Liberals laugh

If there's ever been a better illustration as to the true nature of liberal "compassion", I've not seen it.

1. As always, Conservatives shoot people before thinking.
2. Conservatives never see the irony in their own B.S.

If there's ever been a better metaphorical illustration as to the true nature of conservatism, it's Cheney's shooting accident.

Gill said:
Total BS!! Quail do not flush normally from human voices. They tend to hold tight until forced to flush.

When nesting this is true. Like all game though they will move away from groups of loud people when not nesting. As Cheney was engaging in the deplorable practice of a canned hunt, they were not nesting, and were wandering in an area strange to them. No known place for them to hide.

Gill said:
First I never said it was a “minor flesh wound”, but Whittington’s daughter said he looked like he had chicken pox with red dots all over his face. Doesn’t sound to serious to me.

Minor wounds do not put people in an ICU for days. Now he has had a heart attack do to the pellet(s) lodged in his heart. Sounds pretty darn serious to me. Days in the ICU and heart failure. What world do you live in where these things are not serious?

Gill said:
You’ve just exposed your lack of knowledge. Quail are NOT migratory birds. You are definitely no hunter.

Obviously you are not a hunter and know nothing about birds.

The Common Quail, Coturnix coturnix, is from the pheasant family Phasianidae of the order Galliformes, gallinaceous birds.

Common Quail

It is a strongly migratory bird, unlike most of the game birds, and winters in Africa.

Of course as Cheney was canned hunting I doubt the livestock he was shooting had ever migrated farther than from coop to feed, hence his obvious mistake.

BWG said:
Since we are using the English language here, that is what I meant by it not being a word, but thank you for not stonewalling and acknowledging it is not a mainstream word.

The English language, especially the American idiom is in a state of constant flux. We all use words on a daily basis that have yet to make it into the dictionary.

BWG said:
Now temporarily using the combination of the Greek prefix 'hoplo' meaning weapon and suffix 'phobia' meaning fear. I don't understand your statement.

What confused you about that combination?

BWG said:
If someone has a fear of weapons, why on earth would they make an effort to purchase them in the first place.

There are many levels of fear of weapons or any other phobia. For instance I know people that irrationally fear flying, unless they are the one doing the flying. My mother is terrified of driving in a car, unless she is the one at the controls. Same thing here.

BWG said:
Now, just when I was temporarily giving you the 'not an officially recognized part of the English language' word a definition, you go and change it on me. What's with that?

What did I change?

BWG said:
Then you went from most to some of the nations leading hoplophobes also have guns, which I'm still puzzled over. If I feared something, I certainly wouldn't bring it into my home.

I went from most democrats are hoplophobes and some of them also have guns. How is that confusing?

BWG said:
You worked for McCarthy when you where 8 and McGovern when you where 12. I'm impressed. All I was thinking about when I was that age was hitting a baseball and fishing in the creek. :lol:

Yes I did. I was raised on a major college campus during the 1960's in a VERY politically active family. Not at all unusual in the time and place I grew up. I was very cute going door to door for Gene with campaign lit. I was in charge of "Public School Students for McGovern" in that campaign. I've been active in politics as long as I can remember. Of course we had a crest over the fireplace at home that said: Question Authority - Think For Yourself - Act On Your Beliefs. I did and do all three.

Goobieman said:

If there's ever been a better illustration as to the true nature of liberal "compassion", I've not seen it.
Correction...
1. Man gets shot
2. Conservatives laugh

WASHINGTON - The White House has decided that the best way to deal with Vice President
Dick Cheney's shooting accident is to joke about it.

President Bush's spokesman quipped Tuesday that the burnt orange school colors of the University of Texas championship football team that was visiting the White House shouldn't be confused for hunter's safety wear.

"The orange that they're wearing is not because they're concerned that the vice president may be there," joked White House press secretary Scott McClellan, following the lead of late-night television comedians. "That's why I'm wearing it."

The president's brother, Florida Gov.
Jeb Bush, took a similar jab after slapping an orange sticker on his chest from the Florida Farm Bureau that read, "No Farmers, No Food."

"I'm a little concerned that Dick Cheney is going to walk in," the governor cracked during an appearance in Tampa Monday.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060214/ap_on_go_pr_wh/cheney_hunting_accident

You know what, guys? I think you finally have what you've been looking for. Forget Haliburton. Forget Diebold. Forget Rove and Libby and DeLay. Forget WMD and the National Guard. Forget all the scandals you tried to make stick and couldn't. In fact, forget having to deliver a democratic platform or ideology. None of that is important now. This is the one. This is the scandal that will bring down the evil Bush empire. Go for it. Shout it loud and proud.

QuailGate 2006

I am sure this will be the one item that puts you firmly back in power.

:lol:

Ahhh, it's good to see that some republicans are speaking out about this issue:

"It's news, and it reflects an attitude in this White House of holding back information, of being too clever by half and secretive."

Bob Novak

"The Vice President ignored his response to the American People. I am appalled by the whole handling of this."

Marlin Fitzwater
Press Secretary for Reagan and Bush I

"It would have been better if this vice president and/or his staff had come out last Saturday night or first thing Sunday morning and announced it . . . it could have and should have been handled differently."

Ari Fleischer

Source: Countdown on Keith Olbermann from February 14, 2006.

Thanks guys! According to the republicans and conservatives on this board, Cheney doesn't have to tell nothing to nobody.

Goobieman said:

26 X World Champs said:
OK Mr. Hypocrite explain this then, please? You know when someone's a blind loyalist it's way too easy to point out their mistakes Goobie...

Source: http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/14/p...&en=63a05f9718052989&ei=5094&partner=homepage

So please tell me how it's only "liberals" who are mean, bad and evil for making fun of Cheney?

C'mon Goobie, or any of you Republican junkies give us your best spin!

machinegun.gif
The difference here is the perception of Liberals and Conservatives...

Rupublicans are told all day and twice on Tuesday that they are cold and heartless and have no compassion...Even when Bush mentions "Compassionate Conservatism", the Left fell to their knees with laughter...

So if a Republican makes fun of this situation, it would be very easy for someone to say "That's just the status quo."...

But Liberals?...Much different perception...

THEY are the ones that are supposed to "have a heart" and be above laughing at something like this...

Of course, as we now find out, this isn't the case...

So when someone writes this...

2: Conservatives laugh

...it's perceived to be just another day...Heartless Conservatives...

But when someone writes this...

...it flies in the face of what Liberalism was supposed to stand for...

On a scale of 1-10 when it comes to compassion, the Conservatives were viewed as a "2" and the Liberals were viewed as an "8"...

Now we see they're BOTH "2"s...

If anyone keeps thinking "only Conservatives would stoop so low as to make jokes about something like this", that assumption has been disproved...

Liberals have no problem stooping just as low...:shrug:

cnredd said:

Rupublicans are told all day and twice on Tuesday that they are cold and heartless and have no compassion...Even when Bush mentions "Compassionate Conservatism", the Left fell to their knees with laughter...

So if a Republican makes fun of this situation, it would be very easy for someone to say "That's just the status quo."...

THEY are the ones that are supposed to "have a heart" and be above laughing at something like this...

On a scale of 1-10 when it comes to compassion, the Conservatives were viewed as a "2" and the Liberals were viewed as an "8"...

If anyone keeps thinking "only Conservatives would stoop so low as to make jokes about something like this", that assumption has been disproved...

Both parties do this kind of stuff.

If Cheney had come out within a couple of hours of the incident and announced what happend, said it was an accident, he felt terrible, and that he hoped his friend would be okay, the democrats would look horrible in making fun of him. But of course, that is not what we have here. I have problems having any sympathy for a man who shows no sympathy himself and puts out a statement about this incident addressing only the stupid $7 permit issue. He makes me sick.

aps said:
Both parties do this kind of stuff.
Of course they do, but the Left believes they are the ones who "care"...Their accusations that the Conservatives don't have a heart are now met with "Congratulations!...Neither do you." through their actions...

aps said:
If Cheney had come out within a couple of hours of the incident and announced what happend, said it was an accident, he felt terrible, and that he hoped his friend would be okay, the democrats would look horrible in making fun of him.
And they've looked horrible in almost every other event...never stopped them before...

Don't believe me?...Check out the elections in 2000, 2002, and 2004...;)

aps said:
But of course, that is not what we have here. I have problems having any sympathy for a man who shows no sympathy himself and puts out a statement about this incident addressing only the stupid $7 permit issue. He makes me sick.
You say he "shows no sympathy"...

I say "he doesn't need to make any sympathy shown PUBLIC."...

If he has nothing but remorse for what happened, the only person that needs to know is some lawyer named Whittington...

"Showing public sympathy" just for the sake of getting people...like you...off of his back is unneeded and insincere...

cnredd said:
Of course they do, but the Left believes they are the ones who "care"...Their accusations that the Conservatives don't have a heart are now met with "Congratulations!...Neither do you." through their actions...

When liberals say they "care," they aren't talking about issues like this. They are talking about caring about people and their livelihood.

And they've looked horrible in almost every other event...never stopped them before...

Don't believe me?...Check out the elections in 2000, 2002, and 2004...;)

Yeah yeah

You say he "shows no sympathy"...

I say "he doesn't need to make any sympathy shown PUBLIC."...

If he has nothing but remorse for what happened, the only person that needs to know is some lawyer named Whittington...

"Showing public sympathy" just for the sake of getting people...like you...off of his back is unneeded and insincere...

I am saying that this VP NEVER shows sympathy for anything, including this. He is cold, and to me, he looks unhuman. And yes, he is not required to show sympathy to the public, but any good-hearted person would and not even for appearance's sake, in my opinion.

aps said:
When liberals say they "care," they aren't talking about issues like this. They are talking about caring about people and their livelihood.
If you call laughing at a situation where someone got shot "caring about people", go right ahead...

I don't feel that way...:shrug:

aps said:
Yeah yeah
:2wave:

aps said:
I am saying that this VP NEVER shows sympathy for anything, including this. He is cold, and to me, he looks unhuman.
How do YOU know he never shows sympathy for anything?...How do YOU know he's "cold"...You're only mentioning how he comes across publicly...You DON'T KNOW how he is privately...

aps said:
And yes, he is not required to show sympathy to the public, but any good-hearted person would and not even for appearance's sake, in my opinion.
Tears, apologies, or signs of remorse should mean nothing to the public...Cheney didn't hurt them...

He should have and show remorse for Whittington and his family TO Whittington and his family...

aps said:
I am saying that this VP NEVER shows sympathy for anything, including this. He is cold, and to me, he looks unhuman.

What as he ever done to you that requires him to show you sympathy?

When nesting this is true. Like all game though they will move away from groups of loud people when not nesting. As Cheney was engaging in the deplorable practice of a canned hunt, they were not nesting, and were wandering in an area strange to them. No known place for them to hide.
Total BS! You have obviously never hunted quail or even watched anyone hunt quail on tv. Quail will hold tight until literally "kicked up". Nesting has NOTHING to do with it. Young quail leave the nest as soon as the whole clutch hatches.

I have asked several of you why you think this was a "canned" hunt. Not one of you has replied with your reasoning, much less any proof that this was the case. Either post some proof or stop saying it.

Obviously you are not a hunter and know nothing about birds.

The Common Quail, Coturnix coturnix, is from the pheasant family Phasianidae of the order Galliformes, gallinaceous birds.

Common Quail

It is a strongly migratory bird, unlike most of the game birds, and winters in Africa.
UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! Perhaps you should learn more about quail hunting from a real hunter and not just 'google' up some irrelevant information.

In case you haven't noticed, Cheney wasn't hunting in Africa, he was in Texas and was hunting bobwhite or scaled quail, NOT common quail from Africa. There is no gamebird in America called a Common Quail.

You may have hunted a very little in Michigan, but you obviously have never hunted quail in the south.

KCConservative said:
What as he ever done to you that requires him to show you sympathy?

Oh brother. Based on the coldness you exude in your posts, I doubt you would have any understanding as to what I am talking about.

cnredd said:

Oh, now there both "2"s?

LOL...What a cop out.

First it was only the liberals who were laughing, heartless basturds you called them but then... President Bush was whole-heartedly laughing at Cheney and... *Voila*, you conservatives were BUSTED!

Now you come out with this crap that only Conservatives were permitted to laugh and that Liberals were suppossed to be above all that and not laugh.

So, based on your reasoning, it's the Republicans who are the real heartless basturds and shame on the Democrats for trying to steal their limelight by laughing first. Am I right?

Boy, you are a real piece of work aren't you cnredd?

LOL...and I love it! :2razz:

Looks like Cheney is coming out of his hole long enough to tell his side of the story. Not that Cheney wanted to come out willingly, forced more likely by Rove or Katharine Armstrong or some other brave soul in his circle.

You see, Cheney hates the media (not FoxNews) and the White House reporters, it's part of his personality.

Hopefully he'll come out and confess that he, along with some others in his party had a drink or two but that that did not affect his ability to handle a firearm, no, it was just a common, ordinary plain accident and the reason for the delay in speaking publicly about it was just out of concern and respect for his friend Whittington.

But I doubt that, the truth is that Cheney has had enough time to sober up, get his story straight and immediatly proceed to his undisclosed location after the news conference. But that's just my opinion.

Cheney to discuss hunting accident

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas (AP) — Vice President Dick Cheney planned to break his silence Wednesday night in his first televised interview about the Texas hunting accident in which he shot a 78-year-old lawyer.

Cheney was to appear on Fox News Channel at 6 p.m. ET, the network and the White House announced. He hasn't spoken publicly about the accident Saturday that hospitalized Harry Whittington of Austin. (Related: Mishap shows Cheney's secret side)

Whittington was in stable condition Wednesday after suffering a mild heart attack when a shotgun pellet in his chest traveled to his heart.

Doctors said they decided to leave the pellet alone rather than operate to remove it but were watching Whittington closely. They said they are highly optimistic he will recover.

Critics of the Bush administration have called for more of an explanation from Cheney about the accident Saturday while the vice president was aiming at quail on a ranch in South Texas...

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2006-02-15-cheney-tv_x.htm

Heck, everyone knows Cheney has no heart. He's got a pacemaker.

He is an oil-baron elitist who grinds the organ that Monkey-George dances to.

Anybody who shoots birds out of a can can't be too compassionate. Anybody who shoots a friend and then turns around and blames it on them can't be too compassionate either.

Where's the confusion here people? Heck, I think that Cheney's heartlessness is one of his most attractive traits to many who support him. It's his asset, not his liability.

Captain America said:
Heck, everyone knows Cheney has no heart. He's got a pacemaker.

He is an oil-baron elitist who grinds the organ that Monkey-George dances to.

Anybody who shoots birds out of a can can't be too compassionate. Anybody who shoots a friend and then turns around and blames it on them can't be too compassionate either.

Where's the confusion here people? Heck, I think that Cheney's heartlessness is one of his most attractive traits to many who support him. It's his asset, not his liability.

LOL, well that is quite an assessment from a nobody behind a computer screen, I'll just take that with a grain of salt, and consider the source.:roll:

Oh, like you ARE a somebody?

F.I.B. :rofl

Too much sodium isn't good for your heart either. Cut back on your salt intake.

Captain America said:
Oh, like you ARE a somebody?

F.I.B. :rofl

Too much sodium isn't good for your heart either. Cut back on your salt intake.

Well I am a successful business man, and I would not want to be smeared for being successful, but that seems to be your initial take. Money+ success= greed, not at all, and it's very inappropriate, and not at all a reflection on most people of great wealth. And my heart is fine thank you, somehow I don't think you really care though!;)

Deegan said:
Well I am a successful business man, and I would not want to be smeared for being successful, but that seems to be your initial take. Money+ success= greed, not at all, and it's very inappropriate, and not at all a reflection on most people of great wealth. And my heart is fine thank you, somehow I don't think you really care though!;)

And I'm a rich rock star posting from my yacht (in between servicing naked starlets.) Whatever.:roll:

But you are right about one thing.

Back
Top Bottom