• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Guns Don't Kill People, The Religion Of Peace Kills People

GySgt, why would Osama bin Laden seek the "end of days" in the Book of Revelation? He's (supposedly) Muslim, he wouldn't even believe in the Book of Revelation, second coming of Christ, all that jazz.

star2589 said:
religions are not a living speaking entity. they dont promote anything. people promote violence.

I beg to differ and I submit both the old testament and the koran as evidence to the contray.

alphamale said:

well there was a time when there was no such thing as a atheist serial killer. although on this guy, after reading what you linked, I'm not sure he was an atheist. there is only one sentence even mentioning it and it seems he choose to call himself one on a whim after he was already on a mental decay.

but that is splitting hairs. It seems you have meet my challenge and shown me that which I didn't think existed.

dogger807 said:
I beg to differ and I submit both the old testament and the koran as evidence to the contray.

those are both the words of whoever wrote them. they are not "religion."

*edit*

furthermore, how people interpret those documents varies widely. given how differently people interpret those documents, the actions of those people cannot be blaimed on th authors of the documents themselves.

vergiss said:
GySgt, why would Osama bin Laden seek the "end of days" in the Book of Revelation? He's (supposedly) Muslim, he wouldn't even believe in the Book of Revelation, second coming of Christ, all that jazz.

Ahhh...now you are getting it. Stay with me. You are starting to see the complete absurdity and contradiction. It is the difference between true Islam... and the Islam of Bin Laden and hundreds of Clerecs and Mullahs and millions of Muslims in the Middle East.

Although his vision is closer to the grimmest passages of Revelation than to anything in the Koran, Osama has been able to convince countless Muslims that his vision is of the purist and proudest Islamic form. This should be a huge warning flag to the west about the spiritual crisis in the Middle East. This battle is being fought within the realms of the emotions and soul, not of the intelligent. We face a situation that is so perverse that it is as if tens of millions of frustrated Christians decided that Kali, the Hindu Goddess of death and destruction, embodies the true teachings of Jesus Christ. One cannot have much sympathy with Osama bin Laden, whose vision of a vengeful god, thirsty for infidel blood, is utter blasphemy. Nor could any decent human being excuse the acts of terror committed by his followers, or by Palestinian suicide bombers or by any of the morally crippled youths who murder in the name of their religion. He and his loyalist practice the very thing that Jesus, Moses, and Muhammed uniformly rejected - they practice human sacrifice and millions of frustrated and desperate Muslims are cheering for them.

Practical terrorists may see acts of retribution as a tactical means, but apocalyptic terrorists view themselves tools of a divine and uncomprimising retribution against unbelievers (Like I said, Christian abortion clinic bombers swim amongst the general definition). The terrorists "martyrs" of 9/11 will forever be remembered by Islamic historians and by generations of Muslim children as heroes in the struggle for true religion and justice. This makes it all the more vital that we kill Osama Bin Laden, destroy Al-Queda and other organizations, and any other government that would support these types of organizations. If Bin-Laden "appears" to be alive to thumb his nose at an "impotent superpower", he will attract legions of other Muslims support and sympathizers. He is an apocalyptic terrorist of the worst kind and his superficial agenda of deposing the Saudi government and expelling U.S. troops from the Middle East, is nothing compared to his compulsion to slaughter and destroy.

It is easy to take the typed words of Bin Laden and his demands and see where he is portraying legitimate griefs. However, these words merely masque his true intent. He is a conflicted soul. American presence in Saudi Arabia and our support of Israel has nothing to do with his genocidal campaign in Sudan or the Muslim slaughterings in Iraq. A "Practical" terrorist does not want to die: they want to change the world, not destroy it. His or her concerns are external, they have to do with the plight of his or her people, real or imagined. He may commit grand gestures in frustration or desperation, but he continues to see himself as the representative of an earthly agenda, not as a divine missionary (Rudolph). His hellish counterpart, the "Apocalyptic" terrorist is mentally divorced from our world and it's values. The apocalyptic terrorist is different: he has internal rather than external discontents. The suicide bomber has lost all hope in this world and wants to leave. In cultures where religion has been so perverted that masses of people see honor in destroying oneself along with the "enemies of god," desperation will trump logic. He is not a builder and he is not a dreamer. He is a destroyer. Bin Laden, while not suicidal, sees himself as god's executioner and is prepared to die, but he wishes to out with a bang. The more "infidels" that go with him, the better.

Last edited:
GySgt said:
Correct, however, the world cannot rely upon the swinging door that is the Middle East. Religious fanaticism builds armies that are loyal to their "preachers" and they have risen up against their governments. With tyrants like Saddam who has proven to invade any country he fixes his oil visioned eyes upon, "stability" trumps anything else. If left completely alone, the oil production in Iraq would be zero. They would feud until the last man is standing. In Saudi Arabia, religious fanatics are a dime a dozen and some become fixed on overthrowing their governments so bad, that they would drop airplanes on an American city.

The exportation of oil which feeds the need of every modern civilization on the planet relies on it's stability. The reality sucks, but it is the reality.

Your contention that without wise US "stabilizing" intervention oil production will drop to zero is not supported by the evidence. Iran did not stop pumping oil after the Shah was deposed and radicals took over the country. Iraq is still not producing as much oil now, 3 years after our stabilizing influence, than it was producing before the war.

And your argument is internally self-contradictory. We argue we need to support countries like Saudi Arabia to stabilize oil production, but then admit that that government is one of the most radical in the ME and probably the biggest force behind 9-11.

GySgt said:
Of course. ...

And you didn't address the important question: What do we do now?

1) Continue to invade and occupy countries on false pretext in attempts to install secular governments, lie about our intent, and kill scores of muslims daily, which will continue to be perceived as a threat to the vast majority of Muslems that were not radicals but is pushing many towards the radical element?

2) Start the final solution now.

3) Try to isolate the radical element by thinking about things we can do as a nation that will not fuel and propogate the radical element but discourage the vast majority from siding with them?

Iriemon said:
Your contention that without wise US "stabilizing" intervention oil production will drop to zero is not supported by the evidence. Iran did not stop pumping oil after the Shah was deposed and radicals took over the country. Iraq is still not producing as much oil now, 3 years after our stabilizing influence, than it was producing before the war.

Again, you are useing your words and portraying them as if they came form my keyboard.

It is not my contention that our "stabilizing" in the Middle East has been "wise." I do contend that it is necessary and that I contend that I don't see how, given this cultures appetite for oppression, "stabilization" could come any other way.

You are not reflecting on history accurately. The oil fields in Iran was protected by the military. After Khomeini took control he did what the Shah did - he neglected his people. However, he also neglected his military and it fell apart. This left the oil fields unprotected and open for Saddam conquest. People are quick to point out American greed for oil, but neglect to acknowledge the greed of Arab and Middle Eastern vision. "Oil" is the life blood of the Middle East and the elite has married their civilization to it's existence.

Saddam had to go. He was a threat on many different levels. For "oil," he threatened the balance in two different neighboring countries. The fact that oil production flowed from Iraq under UN law and sanctions, goes a long way to prove what is necessary to keep the world progressing. Oil production over the last three years is a side affect of ousting this tyrant. In time, it will become stable, but Saddam will not be there to threaten his neighbors and threaten to disrupt oil exportation.

Iriemon said:
And your argument is internally self-contradictory. We argue we need to support countries like Saudi Arabia to stabilize oil production, but then admit that that government is one of the most radical in the ME and probably the biggest force behind 9-11.

Yes. It is extremely contradictory. This is the true quagmire. This is American hypocrisy. It is out in the open for all to see (Unlike so many European countries who try in vain to hide their hypocrisies while snubbing their noses).

Meaning well, and behaving foolishly, we plunged into the Arab-Israeli conflict as an "honest broker," although neither side can accept the compromises required by such brokering, while our baggage as both Israel's primary supporter and the long-time backer of many of the most reprehensible Arab regimes is a debilitating handicap to mediation. Stability in the Middle East is critical, no matter if it is impossible without a Carthaginian peace imposed by one side or the other. Compounding to the confusion, as always, is the earnest college student, not yet seasoned by reality, as he marches in protests ignorantly chanting, "Down with Israeli terrorism!" and “Free Palestine!"

We have sacrificed our morals and values in this region because we need oil. It was not done on purpose. This was not deliberate. Were the Arab and Persian elite to treat their people with dignity and respect and not oppress and abuse them through a single dogmatic, controlling, brutal religion, our lives would be that much better. However, they have, indeed, oppressed and abused their people and as long as the oil flowed, we wrote the checks.

Our reality is contradictory and that is why I type the things I type. None of it is "black and white." Where countries do business with each other through their governments, there will always be grey.

Iriemon said:
1) Continue to invade and occupy countries on false pretext in attempts to install secular governments, lie about our intent, and kill scores of muslims daily, which will continue to be perceived as a threat to the vast majority of Muslems that were not radicals but is pushing many towards the radical element?

2) Start the final solution now.

3) Try to isolate the radical element by thinking about things we can do as a nation that will not fuel and propogate the radical element but discourage the vast majority from siding with them?

1) "False pretext" is an opinion to only public information. Invading a country is necessary from time to time.

2) "The final solution" is not a choice today.

3) This is already being done, but we cannot sacrifice our strength to punch when the situation is presented. From earthquakes in Pakistan and India, our offering of help during Iran's earthquake, our freeing Muslims in Kuwait, from ridding the Middle East of a dictator that neighboring countries were apprehensible towards, and by financial aid, we have done many things for the Middle East over the decades that go largely ignored by Al-Jazeera and the thousands of Mullahs in the region. They only cling to what will offer them a scapegoat for the ruin of their societies that their own people have created. We did not create the Shah - we just built up his military. We did not create Khomeini - tyheir religion did this. We did not create the oppression in Saudi Arabia - the "House of Saud" did this. Do you honestly believe that out of the entire government for the last thirty years, no one has thought and tried to do the things you are suggesting? You are not this wise individual that is having this great original thought. When attempting to place logic on an illogical culture, we will always fail.

GySgt said:
1) "False pretext" is an opinion to only public information. Invading a country is necessary from time to time.

2) "The final solution" is not a choice today.

3) This is already being done, but we cannot sacrifice our strength to punch when the situation is presented. From earthquakes in Pakistan and India, our offering of help during Iran's earthquake, our freeing Muslims in Kuwait, from ridding the Middle East of a dictator that neighboring countries were apprehensible towards, and by financial aid, we have done many things for the Middle East over the decades that go largely ignored by Al-Jazeera and the thousands of Mullahs in the region. They only cling to what will offer them a scapegoat for the ruin of their societies that their own people have created. We did not create the Shah - we just built up his military. We did not create Khomeini - tyheir religion did this. We did not create the oppression in Saudi Arabia - the "House of Saud" did this. Do you honestly believe that out of the entire government for the last thirty years, no one has thought and tried to do the things you are suggesting? You are not this wise individual that is having this great original thought. When attempting to place logic on an illogical culture, we will always fail.

I am sure I am not the first to think of that idea; nor did I claim to be, I don't think. But equally true is that there are different camps on this issue. The "neocon" camp and view upon which this administration's ME policy has been based has been to focus on option #1 as opposed to option #3. And from what I have seen heard and read, the result has been an increase in anti-Western and radical sentiment in the ME. It's not working. Nor would one expect it to work particularly well, based on your own observation that acts which are perceived to threat Islam or their culture has the effect of driving more to the Radical point of view.

Iriemon said:
I am sure I am not the first to think of that idea; nor did I claim to be, I don't think. But equally true is that there are different camps on this issue. The "neocon" camp and view upon which this administration's ME policy has been based has been to focus on option #1 as opposed to option #3. And from what I have seen heard and read, the result has been an increase in anti-Western and radical sentiment in the ME. It's not working. Nor would one expect it to work particularly well, based on your own observation that acts which are perceived to threat Islam or their culture has the effect of driving more to the Radical point of view.

It's not really fair to say that what we are doing is not working. On the contrary, it is easier for Muslim populations to purge themselves of the Radical element if they remain on the losing side instead of looking "victorious" to the jobless youth, as they did through the 90's and up to and right after 9/11.

I believe the solution lies in your #1 and your #3. One will not work without the other. We could not seek for a freer Middle East with the worst militant dictator (Saddam Hussein) sitting smack in the middle of it. Many in our government believe this also and we are seeing both (#1 & #3) employed from Chad, through the Middle East, and on to the Phillipines. Two thing are certain - mistakes will be made and there will be many opinions, but opinions based on emotion and not study only serves to hurt the mission - and our future security and safety cannot rely upon a fanatical religious region that has nuclear weapons. There is no blue print for this and we are discovering what a "war on terror" really means as we march. Our politicians are running off of emotion and they are frenzy to collect votes. I believe that we are traveling the correct road, however, we are coming to a point where we are going to have to make some decisions - and the lack of a decision can be as deadly as the wrong decision.

Last edited:
dogger807 said:
well there was a time when there was no such thing as a atheist serial killer. although on this guy, after reading what you linked, I'm not sure he was an atheist. there is only one sentence even mentioning it and it seems he choose to call himself one on a whim after he was already on a mental decay.

but that is splitting hairs. It seems you have meet my challenge and shown me that which I didn't think existed.

We always have Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Khmer Rouge, etc. if you are ever again in need of more examples of bloodshed at the hands of Atheists.

Violence is usually political, economic (except with Islam), and religion gets used to justify it. Religion isn't the problem.

If religion didn't exist, there would still be fanatics looking for causes and they would find them with PETA, Neo-Nazis, or eco-terror groups.

Millions of religious people around the world strenghen themselves spiritually through religion and never commit acts of violence. Before waving a flag for peaceful Atheism, you might want to consider looking at more than headlines about the fanatics.

Guns don't kill people. The loss of blood or oxygen to the brain, through severe hemorrhaging or rupturing of various major organs due to the traversal of a high velocity metal object, kills people.:cool:

beyondtherim55008@yahoo.c said:
Let's just liberate China

Every time you go to Wal-mart to buy cheap sneakers or plastic toys you are the unwitting pawn in the US doing just so.

and N>korea also,

And on that one the US is going about it multi-lateraly. With the future help of our future very good freinds, the Chinese.

Ni jidao wode yisa ma?

to use the excuse of they are just to strong is a copout excuse in which your picking the weaker opponents to avoid the stronger one--insecurity.

Saddam had the 4th largest military in the world when we first went straight at him.

Kind of blows your little thing there out of the water, don't it?

beyondtherim5508@yahoo.c. Your name sucks to type. I'll just call you...btr5.

I'm teacher. Pleased to meet you. Little problem with the subtleties of English?

beyondtherim55008@yahoo.c said:
Let's just liberate China and N>korea also, to use the excuse of they are just to strong is a copout excuse in which your picking the weaker opponents to avoid the stronger one--insecurity.

See? This is exactly what I meant on the other thread where I said you lack the knowledge of what you type. What can you tell of us China or North Korea? What "stronger" opponenet would you have the American military destroy?

Chances are you won't have a whole lot to say - just like everywhere else. Oh wait, this is where you talk about American currency or the price of cotton or the IRA. Anything not to stay on topic.

star2589 said:
those are both the words of whoever wrote them. they are not "religion."

*edit*

furthermore, how people interpret those documents varies widely. given how differently people interpret those documents, the actions of those people cannot be blaimed on th authors of the documents themselves.

these books are the bases of these religions ... I still offer them up as evidence.

aquapub said:
We always have Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Khmer Rouge, etc. if you are ever again in need of more examples of bloodshed at the hands of Atheists.

Violence is usually political, economic (except with Islam), and religion gets used to justify it. Religion isn't the problem.

If religion didn't exist, there would still be fanatics looking for causes and they would find them with PETA, Neo-Nazis, or eco-terror groups.

Millions of religious people around the world strenghen themselves spiritually through religion and never commit acts of violence. Before waving a flag for peaceful Atheism, you might want to consider looking at more than headlines about the fanatics.

OK .... I was thinking an individual killer not a leader of a militant faction. Though I still disagree with religion not being the problem , you are correct about it not being the only problem.

What I was looking for when I made my original post was that no one starts violence in the name of ateism. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, there are those who have done the violence and who are atheist . Not cause and effect, I think, but hard to prove otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom