• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun sales have exploded. Funny, that didn’t make us all safer.

They are not weapons of war. No military on earth uses one.

It's not possible to make them illegal, unless you pass an amendment to the US constitution.

**** anyone who wants to ban them. There is nothing at all you can or will do about it.

Keep washing the BLOOD off YOUR hands, pal...

another trolling bit of bullshit. he has no blood on his hands. stop making such asinine accusations of others.

it is not possible to determine if a household has firearms or not. There is no way to track such data.
Yes it is difficult and that is by law. One of the "gifts" from NRA lobbying. The question is what is the NRA afraid of?

Passed in 1997 with the strong backing of the NRA, the so-called "Dickey Amendment" effectively bars the national Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from studying firearm violence -- an epidemic the American Medical Association has since dubbed "a public health crisis."
The amendment, which was first tucked into an appropriations bill signed into law by President Bill Clinton, stipulates that "none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control." A similar provision was included in the Appropriations Act of 2012.
Named for Republican Rep. Jay Dickey of Arkansas, a self-proclaimed "point man for the NRA" on The Hill -- the Dickey amendment does not explicitly ban CDC research on gun violence. But along with the gun control line came a $2.6 million budget cut -- the exact amount that the agency had spent on firearm research the year prior -- and a quiet wariness.

As one doctor put it, "Precisely what was or was not permitted under the clause was unclear ... but no federal employee was willing to risk his or her career or the agency's funding to find out."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/federal-government-study-gun-violence/story?id=50300379

come and get them. You want them gone-start trying to confiscate them

In a hypothetical world where I (and maybe a homie or two) could get complete immunity from the FBI, confiscating your little guns (or the guns of any filthy gun-craver on here, for that matter) would be like taking candy from a baby.

And no guns would be needed for the operation.

It might take a little time for the necessary reconnaissance and planning, but you would likely end up hog-tied in the back of a car, or in some back alley, while we gathered your contraband and transported it to the local scrap metal yard...

You have items in your kitchen that belong to a class of weapons responsible for sixty three times the number of murders than AR-15s used in mass shootings.

Use an old dish towel to clean the blood off of your hands.

Yes it is difficult and that is by law. One of the "gifts" from NRA lobbying. The question is what is the NRA afraid of?

Passed in 1997 with the strong backing of the NRA, the so-called "Dickey Amendment" effectively bars the national Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) from studying firearm violence -- an epidemic the American Medical Association has since dubbed "a public health crisis."
“We’re going to systematically build a case that owning firearms causes deaths. We’re doing the most we can do, given the political realities.” (P.W. O’Carroll, Acting Section Head of Division of Injury Control, CDC, quoted in Marsha F. Goldsmith, “Epidemiologists Aim at New Target: Health Risk of Handgun Proliferation,” Journal of the American Medical Association vol. 261 no. 5, February 3, 1989, pp. 675-76.) Dr. O’Carroll later said he had been misquoted.
But his successor Dr. Mark Rosenberg was quoted in the Washington Post as wanting his agency to create a public perception of firearms as “dirty, deadly—and banned.covert surveillance program ” (William Raspberry, “Sick People With Guns,” Washington Post, October 19, 1994.

Maybe they were afraid of bad science, where studies have pre-determined results.

The amendment, which was first tucked into an appropriations bill signed into law by President Bill Clinton, stipulates that "none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may be used to advocate or promote gun control." A similar provision was included in the Appropriations Act of 2012.
Named for Republican Rep. Jay Dickey of Arkansas, a self-proclaimed "point man for the NRA" on The Hill -- the Dickey amendment does not explicitly ban CDC research on gun violence. But along with the gun control line came a $2.6 million budget cut -- the exact amount that the agency had spent on firearm research the year prior -- and a quiet wariness.

As one doctor put it, "Precisely what was or was not permitted under the clause was unclear ... but no federal employee was willing to risk his or her career or the agency's funding to find out."

https://abcnews.go.com/US/federal-government-study-gun-violence/story?id=50300379
Why is it necessary for the CDC itself to study gun violence?

What's funny is that the gun control advocates are pushing so hard for the CDC to study gun violence so that we'll have the right information to push for gun control, yet still insist that we need specific gun control even though it hasn't been proven to be necessary or even useful by the CDC. Either the CDC studies aren't really necessary or the Democrats are pursuing unscientific goals. Or they're just lying.

Post-Dickey Act CDC studies

DOJ studies:
DOJ statistics:
CDC data:
FBI UCR - government violence tracking.

he Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives just released a new report documenting the mind-boggling scale of gun manufacturing in the U.S. It shows from 2010 to 2020, the number of guns being produced every year doubled.

Yet the United States experienced a spike in certain kinds of crime in 2020. Most notable was the rise in homicides and aggravated assaults.

Conservatives have their own explanation for this spike, of course: Democrats are at fault. Sure, Joe Biden didn’t become president until 2021, but aren’t there progressive prosecutors in cities like San Francisco and Philadelphia? They must have caused the increase in murders that happened all across the country, even in places with tough-on-crime Republicans in charge. And now that Biden is president, every new homicide is obviously his doing.
The root cause of murder is happiness. The person who was murdered in some way stood between the murderer and his/her happiness.

Therefore, as murders increase, happiness should increase.

So why isn't everyone smiling? We have tons of murder weapons, and there are in fact bags and bags of murders, some of which are very energetic...But nobody's happy.

It has nothing to do with the NRA. It's a matter of privacy. Why do you think you have a right to know who owns a firearm or not? Do you also think we should post a database of people who have had abortions? People with HIV?

The point I am making is that many who want to ban guns see training requirements as a way to limit the rights of those who want to own guns
It may also be that training requirements either eliminate people not competent to own a firearm or lead to making 'em competent to one extent or another.

I'm in Florida now after ten years in fascist China where only the bad guys in the party-government or triads have guns. So being back in the violent and bloody USA and up in years I bought a 9mm from longtime friends. A military veteran here can be exempted from a gun training course by producing our DD-214 which I did do (the VA medical card isn't good enough at all). Then I got a CC authorization and a shoulder holster cause, as I say, the shoulder holster can make me look like Eliot Ness. :cool:

Authorities in the states and at the federal level know well they can't take away any of the guns so now the price of ammunition is the depressing factor in sales of it. Market forces are a factor as the non renewable components of a cartridge such as copper, nickel, lead, tin for instance are in increased demand for other purposes. Plus EPA has put hard and fast restrictions on lead.

Indeed, fascist militias such as the Oath Eaters or whatever these hairy gorillas call themselves don't have a prayer in any armed conflict against the state and have zero chance with only limited amounts of ammo. Cause it's not only price, ie, production is seriously lagging due to reduced availability or quantity of the resources needed to go around.

There are many factors anyway that have driven up the cost of ammo sharply to the millions of American insurrectionists who are longing to dive under the cars up on blocks in their yard. The recent steep spike in consumer demand is one factor in itself. There's also some shooters stuffing their shelves so that they never have to deal with this again, or so they believe. Others are scalper profiteers buying every round they can get, upcharging and reselling it. Some are simply buying the ammo as barter currency. If things get ugly as is likely ammo will surely be in much higher demand than an inedible and mainly useless shiny metal whose source is dwindling besides. After all, the armed forces priority gets what they need of this stuff.

Desperation might well drive buyers of ammo to use gold which would of course drive up the cost of both ammo and gold itself.

Tell me something I don't know.

The homicide rate was steadily decreasing from 2010 to 2020, except when it spiked right after the BLM riots in 2015 and again in 2020.

In a hypothetical world where I (and maybe a homie or two) could get complete immunity from the FBI, confiscating your little guns (or the guns of any filthy gun-craver on here, for that matter) would be like taking candy from a baby.

And no guns would be needed for the operation.

It might take a little time for the necessary reconnaissance and planning, but you would likely end up hog-tied in the back of a car, or in some back alley, while we gathered your contraband and transported it to the local scrap metal yard...
LOL. interesting fantasies you have there. I say give it a try. this should be amusing

Interesting article, not everyone carrys a gun, one time I seen a black guy open carry a gun in the suburbs ( I never seen that before in my 57 years of life. ) at first I was concerned, thinking what should I do? Do I call the cops? Then I remembered open carry laws, so I didn't care.

If I ever see this it would trouble me also and seem real strange,, but open carry is the law in some places

View attachment 67391554
That is just ignorant

I guess I didn't clarify my point, he didn't go on a mass killing spree of snakes he knew that state park and the deadly snakes that could be on the hiking trails.
Most state parks will lock you up for firing a firearm outside an area designated for firearm use.

"He’d said in his screed that he wanted to live-stream the video to help “increase coverage and spread my beliefs.”... The database requires someone to flag the videos after they’ve been recorded, preventing its use for real-time alerts. And companies that are not members of the industry group — including Streamable and many other niche sites that host online videos — are not subject to the automatic bans."

The government could also infest the video with computer viruses to deter people uploading it.

Guns aren't protection. They're escalation. A gun is a murder-tool. Its sole function is to punch fatal holes into bodies. If you draw your weapon, it's with the intention to kill (or, if you're an idiot, you draw your weapon without knowing if you can or ought to kill).

But no weapon protects. That's some mealy-mouthed bullshit. You aren't protected by a gun; it has no magic powers or shielding effects. You just have the opportunity to do murder or bodily harm first or faster.

Guns aren't protection. They're escalation. A gun is a murder-tool. Its sole function is to punch fatal holes into bodies. If you draw your weapon, it's with the intention to kill (or, if you're an idiot, you draw your weapon without knowing if you can or ought to kill).

But no weapon protects. That's some mealy-mouthed bullshit. You aren't protected by a gun; it has no magic powers or shielding effects. You just have the opportunity to do murder or bodily harm first or faster.

Weird that they make so many different sorts then....

The sole function of an automobile is to mow people down at a Christmas Parade.

"He’d said in his screed that he wanted to live-stream the video to help “increase coverage and spread my beliefs.”... The database requires someone to flag the videos after they’ve been recorded, preventing its use for real-time alerts. And companies that are not members of the industry group — including Streamable and many other niche sites that host online videos — are not subject to the automatic bans."

The government could also infest the video with computer viruses to deter people uploading it.

This would violate Texas state law...

Back
Top Bottom