• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun safety instructor accidently shoots student in school.

It's something I've said here before, you cannot assume anything with a firearm. My guess is the last thing he remembered doing was clearing the chamber and thus neglected to check again. The one real problem is that some people take years of experience for granted, the trick when there is a negligent discharge is to avoid injury. The second thing here is that the safety instructor shot someone during a demonstration, rule 1, don't point at anything you don't want to shoot.

Accidents happen, and the chances of one happening can go up greatly in your late 60's, and early 70's. And from the article's wording I think the person who got shot has probably forgiven the instituter. He is old and should retire if their is anyone to replace him.

And my guess is the instructor had poor protocols for demonstrating techniques in a class environment.

We would open the weapon and pass it around to a few students to verify the weapon was empty. Simple and idiot resistant beats ASSuming every time.

Eco- next time someone drags yet another 'cop beats teen' thing in here please post the 'agenda thing' about that... we get a lot of repeats that favor one opinion or another- please read the sign on the door next time you come in here... :peace

Doctor accidentally kills patient.
Driving instructor in car crash.
Lifeguard drowns.

But you think this is special? Your agenda is showing.

didnt try and hide my agenda but just incase.

Hi my name is higgins and I think guns in Schools are really stupid.

Eco- next time someone drags yet another 'cop beats teen' thing in here please post the 'agenda thing' about that...

That's not ironic. The teen probably required a beating.

So you oppose gun safety classes? All of them? Do you also support abstinence-only sex ed?

You misunderstand. I don't think anyone should hide their agenda. It's just that this thread is about nothing except your agenda. There's no news, no info, no data, nothing. Just common irony. The article's importance to gun law is nil. This thread might as well be in "the lighter side" subforum.

You cannot honestly tell me that you are gonna draw some kind of conclusion, or support a position, based on a single ironic event.

Well, then, we need to get rid of doctors!

See how stupid that is?

Last edited:
So you oppose gun safety classes? All of them? Do you also suport abstinence-only sex ed?

Sex-education wont mis-fire and potentially kill my child or worse be stolen and used against my chyild. When I take my son clay shooting for the first time I will take him to a gun safety clsss in my own time not in a school surrounded by other children who's parents have a diffrent moral/belief system.

Sex-education wont mis-fire and potentially kill my child

It could, condoms break. ;)

People are gonna acquire, use and be around guns whether you like it or not. Failing to educate children on gun safety is just as stupid as failing to educate children about the risks and preventative measures regarding sex.

Last edited:
So you oppose gun safety classes? All of them? Do you also support abstinence-only sex ed?

You misunderstand. I don't think anyone should hide their agenda. It's just that this thread is about nothing except your agenda. There's no news, no info, no data, nothing. Just common irony. The article's importance to gun law is nil. This thread might as well be in "the lighter side" subforum.

You cannot honestly tell me that you are gonna draw some kind of conclusion, or support a position, based on a single ironic event.

Well, then, we need to get rid of doctors!

See how stupid that is?

People die in hospitals and at the hands of doctors because that is the nature of the job however kids should not be getting shot at school. Stupid to comapre the 2 and scary that you would have that thought process. Kids getting shot in the US has become that casual?

Last edited:
Driving instructor in car crash.
Lifeguard drowns.

But you think this is special? Your agenda is showing.

I don't have an agenda. But I personally think this is special. Firearm instructors are not supposed to make mistakes like this. First, the gun was loaded with at least one round. Secondly, he dry fired it on purpose (he apparently thought it was a dry fire). Other articles make it clear the bullet ricocheted off a desk and hit the victim in the arm. So that's two very stupid mistakes. #1 It was a loaded gun; #2 He fired it in an unsafe area.

His class should no longer be recognized by the State of Ohio as qualifying for concealed carry instruction. He's a ****ing idiot.

It's something I've said here before, you cannot assume anything with a firearm. My guess is the last thing he remembered doing was clearing the chamber and thus neglected to check again. The one real problem is that some people take years of experience for granted, the trick when there is a negligent discharge is to avoid injury. The second thing here is that the safety instructor shot someone during a demonstration, rule 1, don't point at anything you don't want to shoot.

Exactly.

Doctor killing patient with unnecessary treatment would merit discussion of when and how that treatment is provided in future.

I don't have an agenda. But I personally think this is special. Firearm instructors are not supposed to make mistakes like this. First, the gun was loaded with at least one round. Secondly, he dry fired it on purpose (he apparently thought it was a dry fire). Other articles make it clear the bullet ricocheted off a desk and hit the victim in the arm. So that's two very stupid mistakes. #1 It was a loaded gun; #2 He fired it in an unsafe area.

His class should no longer be recognized by the State of Ohio as qualifying for concealed carry instruction. He's a ****ing idiot.

So? Even a moron can see that.

There are no larger implications. Nothing to debate.

So? Even a moron can see that.

There are no larger implications. Nothing to debate.

So what's anyone's "hidden agenda" here that you felt so necessary to call out??

Doctor killing patient with unnecessary treatment would merit discussion of when and how that treatment is provided in future.
Got a fraud case of just that going on in the U.S., a whistleblower outed an oncologist for fraudulent diagnostics, claiming cancer free patients were effected, and unnecessary treatment of said false cases including chemo. However, what happened here was a freak accident, and something that is solely the fault of the expert, he knew better and chose poorly.

People die in hospitals and at the hands of doctors because that is the nature of the job however kids should not be getting shot at school. Stupid to comapre the 2 and scary that you would have that thought process. Kids getting shot in the US has become that casual?

It was not a kid getting shot in school, it was a 26 year old man, with his wife, at a conceal carry class. Anyway, the proper analogy would be a doctor leaving a surgical intrument in a patient and someone thereby demanding the instrument be banned.

Gun safety education is just as important as sex education. Join the modern world.

So what's anyone's "hidden agenda" here that you felt so necessary to call out??

When there is nothing to debate, nothing to discuss, then the agenda is clear - political hysterics.

please read the sign on the door next time you come in here... :peace

The sign on the door says debate and there is nothing to debate in the OP. It's political hysterics.

Honestly, are we to ban an item or education because an instructor was reckless? Obviously not.

Almost right...."Stupid people with guns in schools are really stupid." That would be more accurate.

Smart people with guns in schools is really smart. Far, far smarter than evil people with guns in schools which is really dangerous.

Presumably you arent opposed to an armed police response to an active school shooter incident?

Relax, it was just a "friendly fire" accident. ;)

The class learned a valuable lesson at the expense of a single student and (hopefully) a soon to be ex-teacher.

For some reason I was ignorantly assuming the person who was shot died for some reason and I was going to say "That's one hell of an expensive lesson" but then I decided to be smart and actually read the article before I responded (novel idea, right?).

I think you hit the nail squarely on the head, though. It's ironically humorous that this safety instructor demonstrated the importance of gun safety to this class by apparently ignoring the first, second, and third rules of gun safety. (Those rules being, in no particular order: Not being aware of the gun being loaded, pointing the gun in someone else's direction without having the intent to shoot them, and having his finger on the trigger when he had no intention to shoot something).

The guy was obviously a terrible gun safety instructor., but that doesn't change the fact that a gun safety course is an extremely valuable thing for those who wish to become responsible gun owners.

Edited to add: Apparently he didn't actually point it at the guy, it was a ricochet, so he's not the worst ever.

Back
Top Bottom