• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun Regulations and Media Coverage

WanderingListener

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
I read an article a while back (What Bullets Do to Bodies on Highline, for those so inclined) that basically stated one of the major reasons we don’t have stricter gun regulations is that the impact on victims and the horror of the violence itself is not well understood due to its censorship by the media. Do you believe that this is true, and if so, do you think the full, uncensored impact of gun violence should be shown in mainstream online media?

I read an article a while back (What Bullets Do to Bodies on Highline, for those so inclined) that basically stated one of the major reasons we don’t have stricter gun regulations is that the impact on victims and the horror of the violence itself is not well understood due to its censorship by the media. Do you believe that this is true, and if so, do you think the full, uncensored impact of gun violence should be shown in mainstream online media?

The idea that guns commit ‘gun crime’ is as moronic as the idea that SUVs commit ’SUV crime’. Criminals commit crime and don’t care one bit about any laws or regulations ‘prohibiting’ their criminal activity.

Well, the impact of criminal violence is shown on MSM everyday. And I believe we already have strict gun regulations. My question to anyone is if someone broke into your home with the intent to harm you or your family, would you prefer to have a gun in your hand and are you worried what size hole it will create?

yes........

Sounds like complete crap. The internet provides if you know how to look. And the part of the media that deals with fantasy does not hold back on the graphics of violence.

And if your courts allow for victim impact statements then you really do not have an argument that the media censorship effects our understanding of the trauma victims face.

The lack of stronger gun control laws and enforcement in the U.S. boils down to one thing. MONEY.

If the gun lobbies and the NRA quit pumping money into the campaigns of republican lawmakers, things would change overnight.

I think the problem is gun lovers simply refuse to love their republic as much as they love their guns.

The defense and protection of the state and of the United States is an obligation of all persons within the state. The legislature shall provide for the discharge of this obligation and for the maintenance and regulation of an organized militia.

The lack of stronger gun control laws and enforcement in the U.S. boils down to one thing. MONEY.

If the gun lobbies and the NRA quit pumping money into the campaigns of republican lawmakers, things would change overnight.
vs the malignant collectivist movement and the majority of the MSM that wants criminals and authoritarians to have safe working environments?

Democrats control both houses of Congress and the presidency. They have done so numerous times in the past 40 years. Why haven’t they passed the laws you want implemented?

This isn’t a left right thing. This is a constitutional thing. The restrictions you want are a direct violation of the constitution.

I believe the opposite is true. The media continually lies about the affect of firearms by claiming AR-15s are "assault rifles" and they fire "tumbling bullets" and they are "high powered" and have "a high rate of fire". And don't forget that goofball, who is a former senior officer in the military, who thinks there's a such thing as "full semi-automatic" which involved pulling the trigger faster.

The anti-gun lobby as just as much freedom to pump money into political campaigns as the gun rights organizations do. Do you think the reason the anti-gunners can't compete is because their platform is less popular?

I think the problem is gun lovers simply refuse to love their republic as much as they love their guns.
The Republic exists and survived because of our gun ownership, not in spite of it.

The idea that guns commit ‘gun crime’ is as moronic as the idea that SUVs commit ’SUV crime’. Criminals commit crime and don’t care one bit about any laws or regulations ‘prohibiting’ their criminal activity.

What? Did he say that guns commit crime just because he used the term 'gun violence'? Is that where that absurd notion comes from? Seriously.

What? Did he say that guns commit crime just because he used the term 'gun violence'? Is that where that absurd notion comes from? Seriously.

It comes from the “access to” argument, as if having “access to” something criminally abused was the “root cause” of that criminaI act. What do you suppose not having “stricter gun regulations” was advocating?

It comes from the “access to” argument, as if having “access to” something criminally abused was the “root cause” of that criminaI act. What do you suppose not having “stricter gun regulations” was advocating?

The Opie didn't say anything about access to guns, either. Why would you immediately respond with 'guns aren't alive'?

How does the access to guns argument supposedly mean that some people think that guns are alive? The 'some people think that guns are alive' argument is absurd. Let's figure out why so many people make that argument.

The right will only agree to showing such images if it will advance their cause. Like anti-abortion protesters who parade with pictures of aborted fetuses.

The anti-gun lobby as just as much freedom to pump money into political campaigns as the gun rights organizations do. Do you think the reason the anti-gunners can't compete is because their platform is less popular?
The MSM has far more money than the NRA. Mainstream prime time TV shows often have lots of anti gun propaganda built into their stories. MSM talking heads lie about guns constantly.

I suspect the media won't cover inner city gang shootings but will over-hype incidents that they think is useful for helping push gun bans
And I suspect that you will STRONGLY object when anyone, posts ANYTHING that says ANYTHING, REMOTELY negative about gun ownership in the least.
Whether the argument/objection you post is logical or otherwise.

Which makes your point of view on this subject rather useless as a source of anything legitimate and remotely, open-minded.

Democrats control both houses of Congress and the presidency. They have done so numerous times in the past 40 years. Why haven’t they passed the laws you want implemented?

This isn’t a left right thing. This is a constitutional thing. The restrictions you want are a direct violation of the constitution.
No. It's a filibuster thing in the senate. When the dems know for sure they have 60 votes in the senate, the legislation will pass. Until then, it takes one senator to object to debate, and the whole thing is shut down.

We have a Second Amendment, why do we have any security problems in our free States?

The defense and protection of the state and of the United States is an obligation of all persons within the state. The legislature shall provide for the discharge of this obligation and for the maintenance and regulation of an organized militia.

Actually"gun violence".. is overblown in the mainstream mainline media.

Majority of Americans Mistakenly Believe Violent Crime Worse Now Than 30 Years Ago: Poll​

https://www.newsweek.com/majority-a...ent-crime-worse-now-30-years-ago-poll-1641967

Back
Top Bottom