• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun laws for tourists ect

You read way too much into what I wrote. You spaz out to everything like that?

Not spazzing to anything, calling out hypocrisy when I see it.

You very easily dismissed his illegally carrying a firearm 'in case he needed it' because of his perceived risks. And yet, no such acknowledgement for the risks women face when they decide an abortion makes them safer.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

Actually i am in law enforcement, have a weapon while in Service and train regulary with it. But of course i dont carry it at vacation or Off duty.

And likely do not know all our laws re: guns and carrying in public and use of force. Which differ from state to state. It's more about knowing when you are allowed to use lethal force than pulling a trigger. Anyone can do that.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

And likely do not know all our laws re: guns and carrying in public and use of force. Which differ from state to state. It's more about knowing when you are allowed to use lethal force than pulling a trigger. Anyone can do that.

It was a theoretical question if one can defend themself

It was a theoretical question if one can defend themself

One can. Guns are not the only way to defend one's self.

My question...still unanswered...is why you would come here 'on vacation' if you felt you needed to carry a deadly weapon?

My question...still unanswered...is why you would come here 'on vacation' if you felt you needed to carry a deadly weapon?

The answer to your question is simple: Because it is not safe to do otherwise.

Timothy Treadwell visited Alaska on twelve different occasions without a firearm. On his thirteenth unarmed visit, however, he managed to get both himself and his girlfriend eaten. Had he been properly armed the result may have been completely different, but he wasn't. Instead he was given a Darwin Award as a result of his massive stupidity.

I was in USA last year with my girl and i had the impression in the national parks that you are better armed when hiking. I am a big buff guy but i assume i cant fight off a bear unarmed, have to admit that.

When i see whats going on in your cities right now, i dont feel its that save either.

We plan to do a ship tour to Guadalupe, the ship departs in San Diego. I guess our best bet is to simply fly San Diego, go to Hotel, stay there one night and directly go to the harbor.

Not spazzing to anything, calling out hypocrisy when I see it.

You very easily dismissed his illegally carrying a firearm 'in case he needed it' because of his perceived risks. And yet, no such acknowledgement for the risks women face when they decide an abortion makes them safer.

I rest my case. We were not discussing abortion but, I'm glad to see you associate it with killing.

Last edited:
I was in USA last year with my girl and i had the impression in the national parks that you are better armed when hiking. I am a big buff guy but i assume i cant fight off a bear unarmed, have to admit that.

When i see whats going on in your cities right now, i dont feel its that save either.

Weird. I was a park ranger for 13 yrs and felt quite safe without one. I was even a park ranger in Central Park for 3 years, no firearm.Dealt with hundreds of tourists just like you. I didnt generally feel unsafe. And I do carry a firearm and own firearms. I am a very strong 2nd Amendment supporter.

I just dont buy the 'I didnt feel safe' bit. If you feel that way, stay home.

As for the bear/gun thing...the reality is it's unlikely any handgun you carry will 'stop' a grizzly. And you dont have to worry about black bears. For a grizzly you have to not panic, and have enough steadiness and time to aim and hit the point of the shoulder to drop it...and shoot it some more to finally kill it. They run as fast as a horse over short distances. One handgun caliber bullet wont kill it.

And quite honestly, if you cant stay out of a grizzly's way or let them know you're coming, please stay out of our forests. The bears have every right to be there and not be killed by careless tourists. Park rangers close off areas where know mamas or other bears are foraging...they tend to be rarely seen for a reason.

I rest my case. We were not discussing abortion but, I'm glad to see you associate it with killing.

Nope, just taking into account your hypocrisy when you discuss that issue compared with this one. I'll keep it in mind.

Nope, just taking into account your hypocrisy when you discuss that issue compared with this one. I'll keep it in mind.

Frankly I don't care what you think so please put me on ignore.

Frankly I don't care what you think so please put me on ignore.

I dont use that feature.

Weird. I was a park ranger for 13 yrs and felt quite safe without one. I was even a park ranger in Central Park for 3 years, no firearm.Dealt with hundreds of tourists just like you. I didnt generally feel unsafe.
That is because you weren't anywhere there were dangerous critters. Central Park, seriously?

As for the bear/gun thing...the reality is it's unlikely any handgun you carry will 'stop' a grizzly. And you dont have to worry about black bears. For a grizzly you have to not panic, and have enough steadiness and time to aim and hit the point of the shoulder to drop it...and shoot it some more to finally kill it. They run as fast as a horse over short distances. One handgun caliber bullet wont kill it.
Several handguns have stopped brown bears in Alaska. I know someone who took down a charging brown bear with a .454 Casull. This grizzly was taken with a .45 revolver:

Bear shot with .45.jpg

I wouldn't recommend it, but a handgun can stop, and has stopped, brown bears/grizzlies if the caliber is big enough.

And quite honestly, if you cant stay out of a grizzly's way or let them know you're coming, please stay out of our forests. The bears have every right to be there and not be killed by careless tourists. Park rangers close off areas where know mamas or other bears are foraging...they tend to be rarely seen for a reason.
And you claim to have been a ranger? Ah, that's right, you are a "Central Park" ranger that has absolutely no experience whatsoever with bears. That much is very obvious.

Last edited:
That is because you weren't anywhere there were dangerous critters. Central Park, seriously?

Several handguns have stopped brown bears in Alaska. I know someone who took down a charging brown bear with a .454 Casull. This grizzly was taken with a .45 revolver:

View attachment 67293965

I wouldn't recommend it, but a handgun can stop, and has stopped, brown bears/grizzlies if the caliber is big enough.

And you claim to have been a ranger? Ah, that's right, you are a "Central Park" ranger that has absolutely no experience whatsoever with bears. That much very obvious.

OH please. That's not the only place I was a ranger and it was by far the most dangerous.

And I didnt feel the need to nitpick. What I wrote is accurate. Of course there are exceptions. I've shot a .55 cal S&W handgun...nobody's 'carrying' those. they weigh a ton. I'm sorry if I didnt cover every conceivable scenario in my accurate, constructive post.

In your pic, I'm guessing they went hunting for that bear. That's alot different than surprising a griz that charges you at close distance.

And I have encountered grizzs, black bears, moose, and cougars in the wild. I'm still here...didnt need to shoot any of them.

OH please. That's not the only place I was a ranger and it was by far the most dangerous.

And I didnt feel the need to nitpick. What I wrote is accurate. Of course there are exceptions. I've shot a .55 cal S&W handgun...nobody's 'carrying' those. they weigh a ton. I'm sorry if I didnt cover every conceivable scenario in my accurate, constructive post.

In your pic, I'm guessing they went hunting for that bear. That's alot different than surprising a griz that charges you at close distance.

And I have encountered grizzs, black bears, and cougars in the wild. I'm still here...didnt need to shoot any of them.

If you had the first clue about bears you would know that they are incredibly near-sighted, and if you are approaching them from downwind, they can be easily surprised. If you don't want to be mauled by a surprised grizzly, I recommend carrying more than just bear spray. Surely your extensive bear experiences in Central Park must have provided you that information. :lamo

If you had the first clue about bears you would know that they are incredibly near-sighted, and if you are approaching them from downwind, they can be easily surprised. If you don't want to be mauled by a surprised grizzly, I recommend carrying more than just bear spray. Surely you extensive bear experiences in Central Park must have provided you that information. :lamo

I know all about that. Why would you assume I dont? THat's why you make noise in bear country...which I already implied in my other post. And carrying a regular handgun would be useless that close up AGAIN.

He asked about a 'handgun'. Nothing regular people would carry would be effective and in many cases, makes people THINK they are safe and approach wildlife more closely or not be as careful.

What part of 13 yrs as a park ranger, and 3 in CP, lead you to believe CP is my only experience :roll:

And I see you didnt even acknowledge the dishonesty of trying to show a hunted bear. I wasnt discussing hunting...the OP was concerned about safety.

I know all about that. Why would you assume I dont?
Maybe it is because there aren't many bears in Central Park.

THat's why you make noise in bear country...which I already implied in my other post.
This is what tourists are told, because they lack the skill to be aware of their surroundings. If they haven't been trained to spot bear sign, and are always aware of the wind direction, then it is better to just have them make babbling idiots of themselves all the time.

We still have morons who think it is a good idea to ride their mountain bikes through forest game trails, and then wonder why they get mauled. Whenever we have a problem with the wildlife in Alaska, we relocate the tourist causing the problem. We don't close trails.

And carrying a regular handgun would be useless that close up AGAIN.
As I previously demonstrated, that is not true.

He asked about a 'handgun'. Nothing regular people would carry would be effective and in many cases, makes people THINK they are safe and approach wildlife more closely or not be as careful.
I carry an AR-12 and a .44 mag revolver any time I'm fishing or foraging. The revolver I wear while fishing, and the AR-12 is with my tackle-box on the bank, because you can't cast while holding a rifle. During the Winters I only carried the revolver whenever I walked my dogs or went anywhere in the back country.

Since this past June I have already had three brown bear encounters while I was fishing. None of them were aggressive, and it only required talking to the bear, or tossing a firecracker in one case, to chase them away. The firearms are only for the aggressive bears, which are rare.

Maybe it is because there aren't many bears in Central Park.

So you are still incapable of understanding that I worked elsewhere? Well, cant explain it more simply.
This is what tourists are told, because they lack the skill to be aware of their surroundings. If they haven't been trained to spot bear sign, and are always aware of the wind direction, then it is better to just have them make babbling idiots of themselves all the time.

That's who I was responding to and about :roll: You chose to wade in with irrelevant, unnecessary and even deceptive information to try and prove you are smarter...and ended up failing.

We still have morons who think it is a good idea to ride their mountain bikes through forest game trails, and then wonder why they get mauled. Whenever we have a problem with the wildlife in Alaska, we relocate the tourist causing the problem.

Yeah...nothing new there. Kinda pointless.

As I previously demonstrated, that is not true.

Of course it's true and you couldnt even post an example that honestly supported it. Has it happened? Probably. Is it a likely outcome? Hell no.

Since this past June I have already had three brown bear encounters while I was fishing. None of them were aggressive, and it only required talking to the bear, or tossing a firecracker in one case, to chase them away. The firearms are only for the aggressive bears, which are rare.

Again, discussing non-resident tourists. Who cares what you do, it's not even relevant. How did this become all about you? You waded in and became hostile and spewing useless information with regards to the OP. Shame on you.

Weird. I was a park ranger for 13 yrs and felt quite safe without one. I was even a park ranger in Central Park for 3 years, no firearm.Dealt with hundreds of tourists just like you. I didnt generally feel unsafe. And I do carry a firearm and own firearms. I am a very strong 2nd Amendment supporter.

I just dont buy the 'I didnt feel safe' bit. If you feel that way, stay home.

Black bears have actually killed people, so have cougars

Black bears have actually killed people, so have cougars

Really? :roll:

However it's very rare and these days, mostly black bears and cougars that are in more human-populated areas.

There are black bear all over my sister's suburban neighborhood in NJ. Here's a pic of one while I was outside on my phone, making airline reservations.

bear NJ.jpg

I've also been face to face with a cougar. An amazing, almost mythical experience...that could have turned deadly had I not had my dogs. I came around a corner on the trail, having seen his back half sitting on log, long tail twitching. Nothing else has that tail, there was no confusion.

The dogs took its scent and backtrailed it, racing away down the trail. And I came around and faced it, 30 feet away. Just gorgeous, nothing moving but that twitching tail. We stared at each other for awhile and then I heard my dogs coming back, so I turned and went on back down the trail. Definitely didnt want the dogs seeing the cougar.

Most cougars go after joggers or bikers, prey instinct responding to motion. If you are uncomfortable around our wildlife, dont come here. THey dont deserve to be killed because uneducated people get themselves in trouble. We are not Europe where you've eliminated most of that.

Really? :roll:

However it's very rare and these days, mostly black bears and cougars that are in more human-populated areas.

There are black bear all over my sister's suburban neighborhood in NJ. Here's a pic of one while I was outside on my phone, making airline reservations.

View attachment 67293987

I've also been face to face with a cougar. An amazing, almost mythical experience...that could have turned deadly had I not had my dogs. I came around a corner on the trail, having seen his back half sitting on log, long tail twitching. Nothing else has that tail, there was no confusion.

The dogs took its scent and backtrailed it, racing away down the trail. And I came around and faced it, 30 feet away. Just gorgeous, nothing moving but that twitching tail. We stared at each other for awhile and then I heard my dogs coming back, so I turned and went on back down the trail. Definitely didnt want the dogs seeing the cougar.

Most cougars go after joggers or bikers, prey instinct responding to motion. If you are uncomfortable around our wildlife, dont come here. THey dont deserve to be killed because uneducated people get themselves in trouble. We are not Europe where you've eliminated most of that.

You dont have to shot a cougar to scare it away. We were hiking in Patagonia in Torres del Paine and got stalked by one until the ranger shot in the air and scared it off.

I am not scared by your wildlife nor am i ignorant. Calling me uneducated is an unnecessary insult as well.

You dont have to shot a cougar to scare it away. We were hiking in Patagonia in Torres del Paine and got stalked by one until the ranger shot in the air and scared it off.

I am not scared by your wildlife nor am i ignorant. Calling me uneducated is an unnecessary insult as well.

Apologies. I didnt necessarily mean you as uneducated but if you think you need to come to the US to view wildlife and need a firearm, you are. Even in AK, altho that may be an exception depending on where you are going. But if you are gong to one of those areas and ARENT educated you have no business going into THEIR homes and accidentally causing an incident where 'you need to shoot them.' Get a guide.

As a park ranger for a decade in our western states, I have seen plenty of stupid, uneducated tourists, some of which acted foolishly and got wildlife killed as a result of their actions.

Apologies. I didnt necessarily mean you as uneducated but if you think you need to come to the US to view wildlife and need a firearm, you are. Even in AK, altho that may be an exception depending on where you are going. But if you are gong to one of those areas and ARENT educated you have no business going into THEIR homes and accidentally causing an incident where 'you need to shoot them.' Get a guide.

As a park ranger for a decade in our western states, I have seen plenty of stupid, uneducated tourists, some of which acted foolishly and got wildlife killed as a result of their actions.

As i said, i am not foolish nor uneducated. In Australia the guide had less knowledge about australian wildlife than i had...he mistook a brown snake with a python and told people to stay 3 meters away from Billabongs. 3 meters is nothing for a saltwater croc.

I love nature and animals, but claiming they are harmless only makes desasters possible. We have that problem here too. We have lots of wolfes...environmentalist tell people that wolfes are harmless, shy creatures of the forest.

Reality is different. They are alpha predators. They are not mindless killing machines but also not harmless little forest doggos

As i said, i am not foolish nor uneducated. In Australia the guide had less knowledge about australian wildlife than i had...he mistook a brown snake with a python and told people to stay 3 meters away from Billabongs. 3 meters is nothing for a saltwater croc.

I love nature and animals, but claiming they are harmless only makes desasters possible. We have that problem here too. We have lots of wolfes...environmentalist tell people that wolfes are harmless, shy creatures of the forest.

Reality is different. They are alpha predators. They are not mindless killing machines but also not harmless little forest doggos

Nobody is claiming they are harmless. That's the opposite of what I taught people.

My ex is a herpetologist. The Aussie black-headed pythons are gorgeous...and awesome. We bred some. Mild mannered. That's where we wanted to go but had to settle for the ones he kept at the zoo or at home.

My degree in natural resource management was all about wildlife biology, at least, that was my focus.

Nobody is claiming they are harmless. That's the opposite of what I taught people.

My ex is a herpetologist. The Aussie black-headed pythons are gorgeous...and awesome. We bred some. Mild mannered. That's where we wanted to go but had to settle for the ones he kept at the zoo or at home.

My degree in natural resource management was all about wildlife biology, at least, that was my focus.

Thats funny...i keep two of the sister species the Woma python. :D

Back
Top Bottom