• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun laws for tourists ect

Except that they can buy and own firearms in the US. Just like you can buy and own firearms in Germany. They have a higher age requirement, fewer firearm options when purchasing, and more hoops you have to jump through, but you can own firearms in Germany. Or at least you use to. When I lived in Worms, Germany, in 1981 and 1982 I went shooting at the range regularly with firearms that I purchased in the US and brought to Germany.

How? I tried to buy a 9mm in FL visiting my cousin and they wouldnt let me. I could pass a background check and I had my cc permit but I knew it wasnt recognized in FL.

Also, I know someone that does goes to Europe to teach mounted shooting and in Germany, while they can own the single action revolvers, they need to apply for permits to shoot them anywhere (well, probably not at ranges). And the govt denies them every time so they cant even hold practices much less matches.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

How? I tried to buy a 9mm in FL visiting my cousin and they wouldnt let me. I could pass a background check and I had my cc permit but I knew it wasnt recognized in FL.
That was one of the requirements I mentioned. Most States require a residency of 90 days, which is unconstitutional but I'll save that for another time. There is no time requirement under federal law. If you reside in a State for at least 90 days, and are otherwise qualified to purchase a firearm, then you will be able to purchase a firearm in that State.

This would mean most tourists wouldn't qualify, but non-immigrant aliens using an H1B1 Visa would qualify since they last for a year.

Also, I know someone that does goes to Europe to teach mounted shooting and in Germany, while they can own the single action revolvers, they need to apply for permits to shoot them anywhere (well, probably not at ranges). And the govt denies them every time so they cant even hold practices much less matches.
I also had to have a special permit for my firearms in Germany, and that was 40 years ago. I have not kept up-to-date on German firearm laws since the early 1980s, so things may have changed since then.

That was one of the requirements I mentioned. Most States require a residency of 90 days, which is unconstitutional but I'll save that for another time. There is no time requirement under federal law. If you reside in a State for at least 90 days, and are otherwise qualified to purchase a firearm, then you will be able to purchase a firearm in that State.

This would mean most tourists wouldn't qualify, but non-immigrant aliens using an H1B1 Visa would qualify since they last for a year.

G that's not what he was asking, he was asking as a tourist and he was just looking to disrespect America, not actually care about getting a gun. It was just baiting IMO.

I also had to have a special permit for my firearms in Germany, and that was 40 years ago. I have not kept up-to-date on German firearm laws since the early 1980s, so things may have changed since then.

The laws are absolutely ridiculous. She spends time in France and they can at least practice and she does clinics with them and their guns and horses. THey dont even shoot live ammo and Germany wont permit practices :roll:

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

G that's not what he was asking, he was asking as a tourist and he was just looking to disrespect America, not actually care about getting a gun. It was just baiting IMO.

The laws are absolutely ridiculous. She spends time in France and they can at least practice and she does clinics with them and their guns and horses. THey dont even shoot live ammo and Germany wont permit practices :roll:

Foreign tourists either bring their own, or rent, firearms in Alaska all the time. The majority of our out-of-State hunting licenses are sold to foreigners. Most bring their own firearms with them, but it is not uncommon for them to rent the firearm for the duration of their stay in Alaska. Alaska is one of those States that unconstitutionally requires 90 days residency before non-citizens are allowed to purchase firearms, but they can legally carry a firearm they already own, or have rented, the same day they arrive in Alaska.

Foreign tourists either bring their own, or rent, firearms in Alaska all the time. The majority of our out-of-State hunting licenses are sold to foreigners. Most bring their own firearms with them, but it is not uncommon for them to rent the firearm for the duration of their stay in Alaska. Alaska is one of those States that unconstitutionally requires 90 days residency before non-citizens are allowed to purchase firearms, but they can legally carry a firearm they already own, or have rented, the same day they arrive in Alaska.

Yes but are they renting guns themselves or using outfitters' guns? Isnt it part of their overall hunting package?

Can foreigners go to AK and rent guns and get hunting licenses on their own?

Yes but are they renting guns themselves or using outfitters' guns? Isnt it part of their overall hunting package?
Is there a difference? Outfitters provide firearms with which they have experience with and know will do the job effectively. If an individual wishes to put in the necessary research to determine the best caliber of firearm for the animal they wish to bag, they are likely to reach the exact same conclusion as the outfitters. However, if they can choose a different firearm, if they wish, but that also has consequences. For example, I know of several Alaskan bear guides who will automatically add $2,000 to their fee if any hunter brings anything smaller than a .40 caliber rifle. Because it means that the guide will ultimately have to kill the bear.

Can foreigners go to AK and rent guns and get hunting licenses on their own?
Yes, non-citizen non-immigrants may rent any firearm they like, and buy any hunting license they like. However, all non-Alaskan residents (including US citizens) are required to hire a certified Alaskan guide when hunting moose, bear, musk ox, and other big game. Like with the other States, it requires living in Alaska for a year to gain residency status.

They were allowed off-range with them? Because I said at ranges.

Las Vegas has a really cool place to rent all kinds of stuff but I'm always there with girlfriends and no one wants to go with me :(

Nope. Open air range. Not a piddly indoor range. I've been to a Vegas range. I was underwhelmed with the indoor ones.

Nope. Open air range. Not a piddly indoor range. I've been to a Vegas range. I was underwhelmed with the indoor ones.

I didnt specifiy indoor or outdoor. Not sure what we're discussing anymore.

The LV place is well-known and has lots of exotic fiearms that people can rent/try out. (onsite only)

Is there a difference? Outfitters provide firearms with which they have experience with and know will do the job effectively. If an individual wishes to put in the necessary research to determine the best caliber of firearm for the animal they wish to bag, they are likely to reach the exact same conclusion as the outfitters. However, if they can choose a different firearm, if they wish, but that also has consequences. For example, I know of several Alaskan bear guides who will automatically add $2,000 to their fee if any hunter brings anything smaller than a .40 caliber rifle. Because it means that the guide will ultimately have to kill the bear.

Yes, non-citizen non-immigrants may rent any firearm they like, and buy any hunting license they like. However, all non-Alaskan residents (including US citizens) are required to hire a certified Alaskan guide when hunting moose, bear, musk ox, and other big game. Like with the other States, it requires living in Alaska for a year to gain residency status.

Absolutely there's a difference. The hunter cannot leave with the firearm, can they? Basically the firearm remains under the supervision of the outfitter at all times.

Ah, thanks. So they really are under supervision the entire time. I kind of figured.

So they are not 'free' to rent a firearm and carry it independently around the state.

Absolutely there's a difference. The hunter cannot leave with the firearm, can they? Basically the firearm remains under the supervision of the outfitter at all times.

Ah, thanks. So they really are under supervision the entire time. I kind of figured.

So they are not 'free' to rent a firearm and carry it independently around the state.

They can't leave with a firearm that isn't theirs, obviously. If they brought their own firearm to Alaska, they can leave with it. Everywhere that I know who rents firearms do not allow the renter take the firearm after using it for its intended purpose. If they are at a range, for example, they can rent a handgun offered by the range, use it at the range, and then return it back to the range when they are completed. Some outfitters will rent their own firearms, and provide the ammunition, and retrieve the firearm and remaining ammunition after the hunt. In both cases the range, or the outfitter, cleans and maintains the firearm and are responsible to ensure that the firearm is used lawfully, since they are the actual owners.

If a non-citizen, non-resident alien wanted to own their own firearm in Alaska that they can carry anywhere in the State, they need to be at least 21 years old, not a convicted felon, and reside in Alaska for at least 90 days.

On a personal note, when I first arrived in Alaska on May 4, 1991 I intentionally bought a non-resident hunting and fishing license specifically to mark the day I entered Alaska in order to establish residency.

Last edited:
They can't leave with a firearm that isn't theirs, obviously. If they brought their own firearm to Alaska, they can leave with it. Everywhere that I know who rents firearms do not allow the renter take the firearm after using it for its intended purpose. If they are at a range, for example, they can rent a handgun offered by the range, use it at the range, and then return it back to the range when they are completed. Some outfitters will rent their own firearms, and provide the ammunition, and retrieve the firearm and remaining ammunition after the hunt. In both cases the range, or the outfitter, cleans and maintains the firearm and are responsible to ensure that the firearm is used lawfully, since they are the actual owners.

If a non-citizen, non-resident alien wanted to own their own firearm in Alaska that they can carry anywhere in the State, they need to be at least 21 years old, not a convicted felon, and reside in Alaska for at least 90 days.

I think we're on the same page...foreign people cannot rent firearms and wander independently around the US legally. At least, not withing a few month period.

Which is basically what I stated from the start.

But they can be rented under certain conditions.

I lived near a gun range in the San Francisco Bay area. They would have tourist junkets from Japan. All the nice Hollywood style shooting arms set up for the Japanese to go crazy on. AR-15s, AKs, Uzis were big items, many nice hand guns and ammo. Much, much ammo.

More dakka level.

I would quietly leave when they would start setting up.

They have the same thing in Las Vegas.

The same way you do in Germany.

Well we have much lower crime rates.

That said when i was in USA i did not feel unsafe in any way. We mostly avoided cities and stuck to nature and when we were in bigger cities we stuck to the tourist areas, like Golden Gate Bridge and so on.

I got a gun from a friend who lives there when we had a party, but that was only on his property and i did not know thats illegal

When i was there in 2019 one buddy gave me one for fun.

Idk how that works, was that ok or am i not even allowed to get one?

It's not OK but, if you are attacked while here, you can worry about the consequences later. Better to be alive.

But a range isnt carrying a firearm in public. Indoor or outdoor. He's asking about carrying a gun.

And I was discussing a specific range in LV that has 'exotics' and all kinds of special stuff that you can go in and try out. It's not just a range, it's a well-known attraction, known internationally for it's availability of unusual firearms to try.

Of course it is but, better safe than sorry.

Someone unfamiliar with our gun laws AND not experienced with handgun period? They'd be more likely by far to be caught improperly cc'ing than ever needing it. Or misusing it and harming a bystander or just being disarmed by their attacker.

:roll:

Someone unfamiliar with our gun laws AND not experienced with handgun period? They'd be more likely by far to be caught improperly cc'ing than ever needing it. Or misusing it and harming a bystander or just being disarmed by their attacker.

:roll:

Do we know he's unfamiliar with how to use a weapon?

I told him it was illegal but, if someone wants to let him borrow a weapon to protect himself and/or family, power to him.

Do we know he's unfamiliar with how to use a weapon?

I told him it was illegal but, if someone wants to let him borrow a weapon to protect himself and/or family, power to him.

He's German and it would be a handgun.(Our laws? Gun retention? Proper holster? Backstops? Where legal to carry and not?...oh wait, that doesnt matter for German's, only Americans) The restrictions are very tight on handguns in Germany. So 'in a real life' situation, I'm on pretty solid ground here.

And you are encouraging someone to break the law...2 people actually. Your play pretty fast and loose with 'sin' dont you?

He's German and it would be a handgun.(Our laws? Gun retention? Proper holster? Backstops? Where legal to carry and not?...oh wait, that doesnt matter for German's, only Americans) The restrictions are very tight on handguns in Germany. So 'in a real life' situation, I'm on pretty solid ground here.

And you are encouraging someone to break the law...2 people actually. Your play pretty fast and loose with 'sin' dont you?

He could be police or military for all we know.

I didn't encourage ****.

He could be police or military for all we know.

I didn't encourage ****.

He's not, dont go making crap up.

And yeah, you did encourage it...you suggested it, almost out of the blue. Is this how you justify all your beliefs? On convenience?

And yeah, you did encourage it...you suggested it, almost out of the blue. Is this how you justify all your beliefs? On convenience?

You read way too much into what I wrote. You spaz out to everything like that?

Actually i am in law enforcement, have a weapon while in Service and train regulary with it. But of course i dont carry it at vacation or Off duty.

Back
Top Bottom