• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun industry leaders, allies defy NRA on background checks

Catawba

Disappointed Evolutionist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
"Some of the gun lobby's strongest allies are breaking with the National Rifle Association to support proposals that would expand background checks for private firearm sales.In behind-the-scenes talks with congressional staff members and others, gun makers, dealers and other Second Amendment advocates have offered support for more instant criminal background checks, buoying the hopes of gun control advocates, including President Barack Obama, who put a top priority on extending criminal checks to private sales.
The trade group for the nation's leading firearm manufacturers said it will not actively oppose the expansion of background checks, which are designed to prevent guns from reaching criminals or the seriously mentally ill."

Gun industry leaders, allies defy NRA on background checks - The Willits News

Military weapons manufacturers bought the Right Wing long ago. Only recently did they buy the citizen market of weapons...

Gun shops want everyone to have to pay a fee for transfers to a gun shop. So this is predictable. Thrift stores would like garage sales outlawed too if they could get Congress to do it.

Some time back I pointed out this would evolve to the question of how can government and business find a way to get money from people out of this. And that is exactly what is happening.

Gun shops - for obvious reasons - would like everyone to have to pay a gun shop $25 to $50 each time anyone sells a gun - as that is free money to the gun shop for doing nothing but a 2 minute phone call. They make more than the highest priced lawyers on a per-hour basis with FFL transfer fees.

What it proves is that the NRA is NOT in conspiracy with the gun industry, but rather the NRA represents gun owners and gun ownership rights.

Last edited:
Military weapons manufacturers bought the Right Wing long ago. Only recently did they buy the citizen market of weapons...

The "gun show" talk is all diversionary.

The question is whether if I sell you a firearm, do you have to go pay a gun shop $25 to $50 each and every time you buy a firearm? It is NOT that they do a background check and you're clear. You have to pay that every time. If you bought a handgun today and a shotgun tomorrow, you would have to pay $50 to $100 for the TWO background checks that the gun shop phoned in. On average, those phone calls last 2 minutes.

Last month on one day, I paid to have FIVE background checks done on me as required. About $175 for five 2 minute phone calls because of federal law already in existence.

Multiply that by about 3 million a year, and the "gun industry" is "compromising" on allowing Congress to require gun purchasers give them about $100,000,000 a year for essentially nothing the gun shop does in return. FREE money. Of course the "gun industry" agrees - and wants this.

Of course, Congress will add another couple hundred million a year in a fee the government charges too - so figure for that handgun and shotgun you'll pay $100 to $200 for the gun shop to call and the government to redundantly declare you aren't a felon.

The "gun show" talk is all diversionary.

The question is whether if I sell you a firearm, do you have to go pay a gun shop $25 to $50 each and every time you buy a firearm? It is NOT that they do a background check and you're clear. You have to pay that every time. If you bought a handgun today and a shotgun tomorrow, you would have to pay $50 to $100 for the TWO background checks that the gun shop phoned in. On average, those phone calls last 2 minutes.

Last month on one day, I paid to have FIVE background checks done on me as required. About $175 for five 2 minute phone calls because of federal law already in existence.

Multiply that by about 3 million a year, and the "gun industry" is "compromising" on allowing Congress to require gun purchasers give them about $100,000,000 a year for essentially nothing the gun shop does in return. FREE money. Of course the "gun industry" agrees - and wants this.

Of course, Congress will add another couple hundred million a year in a fee the government charges too - so figure for that handgun and shotgun you'll pay $100 to $200 for the gun shop to call and the government to redundantly declare you aren't a felon.

The left doesn't care about private citizens spending their hard earned money. It is all about the "greater good" and of course...squeezing every last penny out of law abiding citizens.

I am predicting an increase in people skirting background checks when the prices go up. They can't background check a gun they don't know exists.

The left doesn't care about private citizens spending their hard earned money. It is all about the "greater good" and of course...squeezing every last penny out of law abiding citizens.

I am predicting an increase in people skirting background checks when the prices go up. They can't background check a gun they don't know exists.

It will increase black-marketing guns and all the harms, costs and innocent people hurt caused by the next collection of "revenuers" (borrowing from bootlegger terminology for which the crime is not paying the fee/tax - and people killed for not doing so or being caught in the middle).

It will increase black-marketing guns and all the harms, costs and innocent people hurt caused by the next collection of "revenuers" (borrowing from bootlegger terminology for which the crime is not paying the fee/tax - and people killed for not doing so or being caught in the middle).

Yep. Right now I can already think of several ways to avoid the garbage legislation. It would be so easy. Especially in a system that requires definitive proof. Sigh if only I wasn't a law abiding citizen...I would be rich.

This is simply goofy self interest support. Consider what the auto dealers association would think of a federal law requiing all private vehicle sales to go through them (for a fee, no less)? Of course they would love it! Forcing all private gun sales to be conducted in a gun store is a no brainer for getting gun stores to support it. Since "user fees" would pay for the whole deal the anti-gun crowd loves it too! Making all law abiding gun transactions go through more expensive hoops will naturally cause many to try to avoid this nonsense, defeating its stated purpose entirely.

1) Why is lying on form 4473 now simply ignored even when clearly defined as a felony?

2) Why are states allowed to enact stricter gun laws than the federal gov't?

3) Why is simply requiring a valid, state issued, photo ID considered a "discriminatory burden" for voting yet an absolute necessity for 2A rights?

This is simply goofy self interest support. Consider what the auto dealers association would think of a federal law requiing all private vehicle sales to go through them (for a fee, no less)? Of course they would love it! Forcing all private gun sales to be conducted in a gun store is a no brainer for getting gun stores to support it. Since "user fees" would pay for the whole deal the anti-gun crowd loves it too! Making all law abiding gun transactions go through more expensive hoops will naturally cause many to try to avoid this nonsense, defeating its stated purpose entirely.

1) Why is lying on form 4473 now simply ignored even when clearly defined as a felony?

2) Why are states allowed to enact stricter gun laws than the federal gov't?

3) Why is simply requiring a valid, state issued, photo ID considered a "discriminatory burden" for voting yet an absolute necessity for 2A rights?

The whole thing reminds me of the illegal immigration problem.

No one does anything because it is the Democrat's voter base and the Republican's cheap labor.

The whole thing reminds me of the illegal immigration problem.

No one does anything because it is the Democrat's voter base and the Republican's cheap labor.

The people being freely able to exercise a Constitutional right is not a "problem". The problem is crime committed with guns, largely by urban minority gang thugs, many with criminal records. It is ALREADY a serious felony for them to even TOUCH a gun. Trying to brush the massive falilure of gov't (at all levels) to enforce existing laws under the rug, does not mean that we need more federal hassle and expense placed upon ALL law abiding gun owners. In essence the federal gov't now demands a reward, via law abiding gun transfer "user fees", for failure to enforce the existing federal, state and local gun/criminal laws.

The people being freely able to exercise a Constitutional right is not a "problem". The problem is crime committed with guns, largely by urban minority gang thugs, many with criminal records. It is ALREADY a serious felony for them to even TOUCH a gun. Trying to brush the massive falilure of gov't (at all levels) to enforce existing laws under the rug, does not mean that we need more federal hassle and expense placed upon ALL law abiding gun owners. In essence the federal gov't now demands a reward, via law abiding gun transfer "user fees", for failure to enforce the existing federal, state and local gun/criminal laws.

Agreed, if we want the gun crime stats to go down we need to suit up and take out the gang thugs.

But that would be racist.

After all these poor gang thugs never had the opportunities that the rest of us had.

Id like a list if names and company associations.

Agreed, if we want the gun crime stats to go down we need to suit up and take out the gang thugs.

But that would be racist.

After all these poor gang thugs never had the opportunities that the rest of us had.

The recreational drug trade is a multi-billion dollar industry, untaxed cash abounds; only the newspaparers believe that the shooting is over who gets to wear the fancy sports shoes. ;)

The recreational drug trade is a multi-billion dollar industry, untaxed cash abounds; only the newspaparers believe that the shooting is over who gets to wear the fancy sports shoes. ;)

It is ONLY a multi-billion dollar industry because of the War on Drugs. Another brilliant liberal idea.

NRA Leadership Virtually Alone In Opposition To Expanding Background Checks For Every Gun Sale

"The National Rifle Association's stand against expanding the criminal background check system to all gun buyers has become a lonely one. The NRA has been abandoned by other gun lobby activists, conservative media figures, and the American public."

"Washington Post: Gun Industry Trade Group Does Not Take NRA Position On Background Checks. In a March 5 Washington Post article, National Shooting Sports Foundation president Steve Sanetti said that his organization is "already there, and we've been there, and we were the ones that have been the strongest proponents of an effective, complete background check."

"Fraternal Order Of Police Head Supports Expanding Background Check System. The Post article also described support for expanding background checks by the Fraternal Order of Police."

"Second Amendment Foundation Expressed Willingness To Strike A Deal On Expanded Background Checks"

NRA Leadership Virtually Alone In Opposition To Expanding Background Checks For Every Gun Sale | Research | Media Matters for America

Gun shops want everyone to have to pay a fee for transfers to a gun shop. So this is predictable. Thrift stores would like garage sales outlawed too if they could get Congress to do it.

Some time back I pointed out this would evolve to the question of how can government and business find a way to get money from people out of this. And that is exactly what is happening.

Gun shops - for obvious reasons - would like everyone to have to pay a gun shop $25 to $50 each time anyone sells a gun - as that is free money to the gun shop for doing nothing but a 2 minute phone call. They make more than the highest priced lawyers on a per-hour basis with FFL transfer fees.

What it proves is that the NRA is NOT in conspiracy with the gun industry, but rather the NRA represents gun owners and gun ownership rights.

Really? Because 70% of NRA members support background checks, and lets not a forgot a small portion of NRA "members" are people who passed away that they never bothered to take of the list. I hate to break it to you my friend, but your opinion is an unpopular opinion.

It is ONLY a multi-billion dollar industry because of the War on Drugs. Another brilliant liberal idea.
You just re-wrote history my friend. Nixon, you know that republican president, started the war on drugs, and ignored a report he asked for because it confirmed that marijuana was less dangerous than alcohol.

NRA Leadership Virtually Alone In Opposition To Expanding Background Checks For Every Gun Sale

"The National Rifle Association's stand against expanding the criminal background check system to all gun buyers has become a lonely one. The NRA has been abandoned by other gun lobby activists, conservative media figures, and the American public."

"Washington Post: Gun Industry Trade Group Does Not Take NRA Position On Background Checks. In a March 5 Washington Post article, National Shooting Sports Foundation president Steve Sanetti said that his organization is "already there, and we've been there, and we were the ones that have been the strongest proponents of an effective, complete background check."

"Fraternal Order Of Police Head Supports Expanding Background Check System. The Post article also described support for expanding background checks by the Fraternal Order of Police."

"Second Amendment Foundation Expressed Willingness To Strike A Deal On Expanded Background Checks"

NRA Leadership Virtually Alone In Opposition To Expanding Background Checks For Every Gun Sale | Research | Media Matters for America

the Fraternal Order of Police is a union for police officers. Many police officers want unarmed citizens. It is no harm whatsoever to police if someone is murdered, raped, assaulted or robbed.

I've already explained why the "gun industry" WANTS background checks. If Congress passed a law that ever person buying a firearm had to give you $25 to $50 would you object?

ITS NOW ABOUT MONEY.

Really? Because 70% of NRA members support background checks, and lets not a forgot a small portion of NRA "members" are people who passed away that they never bothered to take of the list. I hate to break it to you my friend, but your opinion is an unpopular opinion.

Is that what the NY Times says?

Correction. It is according to Bloomberg. He says 70% of NRA members want private sales of firearms outlawed - which is what "univeral background checks" actually means.

I will accept that a majority of New York city folks want all guns outlawed. So what? I don't live in NYC. Never even been there. Don't plan to ever go there.

Besides, they have their thug police to drive out poor people and minorities back to the other poor surrounding areas away from NYC anyway. They don't need guns. They have their own Gestapo against the unwashed dirty poor people to make sure they leave after doing their laundry, run their stores, make and serve their food and picking up their garbage.

Last edited:
You just re-wrote history my friend. Nixon, you know that republican president, started the war on drugs, and ignored a report he asked for because it confirmed that marijuana was less dangerous than alcohol.

Nixon was a liberal, being a Republican does not make one a conservative.

Bush was a huge liberal.

the Fraternal Order of Police is a union for police officers. Many police officers want unarmed citizens. It is no harm whatsoever to police if someone is murdered, raped, assaulted or robbed.

I've already explained why the "gun industry" WANTS background checks. If Congress passed a law that ever person buying a firearm had to give you $25 to $50 would you object?

ITS NOW ABOUT MONEY.

Ha! The evolving view of the 10% to 15% opposed to background checks! Thanks for sharing!

I saw it on fox.

It was a Bloomberg poll and not of NRA members, the list of which Bloomberg does not have. Bloomberg CLAIMS they asked if the person supports the NRA and then if they support "universal background checks for gun purchases." Bloomberg's staff is not recognized as a known, legitimate and independent polling firm.

Back
Top Bottom