• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun control sure works NOT

Correct, no amount of logic or emotion will sway the thinking of gun owning america. No amount of mass shootings will change anything. No amount of kids being killed in school matters, at concerts, in church and everywhere else in america. By god, you have your rights and they trump anyone else's rights. I think my right to not be shot trumps your right to carry a concealed weapon in public. Even in the 'wild' west folks had to turn in their weapons while in town. Ok, your turn. Tell me why I'm wrong.

Why do you think you have a right not to be shot that would preclude my carrying a concealed firearm in public, but not a right not to be hit which would require everyone wearing restraints to protect you, or why you d9nt have a right not to be hit by a drunk driver which precludes anyone from transporting liquor in their car? You have a right not to be raped; that right does not empower the government to restrain the half of the population with penises from hang them operational at any time.

In very few towns did the law require that people turn in their guns when they came to town, and in some of those cases, it was to protect business interests of the law. It also didn't apply to citizens of the town. In Tombstone, Wyatt Earp allowed the folks working in his taverns and keno parlors to carry guns even though they weren't peace officers.

1-You cant compare the US and UK. The UK has been until recently an almost entirely homogeneous population protected on all sides by a big ass moat. They havent had to deal with the problems of multicutlural violence in majority-minority communities that have been afflicted by gang violence at the same rate we have had to in the US.
2-Who gives a **** about the kneeling subjects of the UK and what they have willingly allowed happen to their rights. They like kneeling...fine...let them. The fact that within 20 years of giving up their gun rights they also now face a ban on kitchen knives and have people arrested and thrown in jail for free speech...well..again...why would you even give a **** about people that would EAGERLY give in to that ****? I have no use for pathetic grovelling subjects.
3-In 1 I mentioned..."until recently". Because the world has caught up to the UK. Despite their gun laws,
"Between 2016 and 2017 the number of cases rose from 2,193 to 2,542, according to Metropolitan Police data. In 770 of those cases, a gun was fired."
"The number of lethal guns fired has increased by around 20 per cent since 2012. Across England and Wales there were 6,694 recorded offences up to October 2017 - a 20 per cent rise."

February 12 Taxi driver Bulent Kabala, 41, shot dead on a roundabout in Enfield
March 8 Kelvin Odunuyi, 19, shot in Wood Green amid escalating gang warfare
March 14 Joseph Williams-Torres, 20, shot dead in a stationary car in Walthamstow
March 17 Student Russell Jones shot and stabbed to death near Ponders End station in Enfield.
March 25 Abraham Badru, 26, shot in Dalston, East London, without warning
April 2 Tanesha Melbourne, 17, gunned down by drug gang in Tottenham
April 2 Amaan Shakoor, 16, shot in the face outside Walthamstow Leisure Centre
April 9 An armed man was shot dead by police in Romford after threatening people with a gun near a petrol station
May 1 A 30-year-old man died outside Queensbury Tube station in North London after being found with serious injuries
May 5 Rhyhiem Ainsworth Barton was gunned down in a drive by shooting near his home in Kennington, South London
May 6 Man, 22, is shot in New Cross, South East London
May 6 Boy, 13, blasted in head with shotgun while walking with his parents in Wealdstone, near Harrow, in North West London, as 15-year-old also injured in the head in the shooting
June 1 A 24-year-old man is fighting for his life after being shot with a "machine gun" in Brent, north-west London
June 3 Oluwafemi Omosuyi, 22, airlifted to hospital in Southwark, South London, after witnesses reported he was shot in the face with a shotgun. another man, 25, suffered non-life-threatening injuries
June 6 A teenage boy was left fighting for his life after he and two others were shot in Brixton at around 11pm
July 9 Gunman shoots three times at woman, but misses
July 27 Four men aged between 20 and 22 were arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after exchanging gun fire with police in Forest Gate
August 20 Armed police swarm a school in Maida Hill, West London, after "shots fired" as terrified staff cower in classroom cupboard
August 20 A woman, 30, and two men - aged 18 and 24 - were rushed to hospital following a drive-by shooting outside Kingsbury Tube station
September 20 A 34-year-old woman and a 40-year-old man were left injured, following a shooting on Essex Road, Islington
September 23 A 19-year-old man died after being gunned down in the street in Walthamstow

If you know your history about the "wild west" than you would know that shootouts, unlike what Hollywood portrays, were not all that common. As for driving around in armored vehicles, that depends, if you're transporting large amounts of cash from place to place than it would make sense to drive in armored vehicles, but not your ordinary everyday person who does not drive around with large amounts of cash. I've never driven armored vehicles and I've never needed to. Yes armed security does make public places safer. Where I go to the beach and the boardwalk there are thousands and thousands of people there during the summer when it gets really busy. There has never been any mass shootings or bombings there although it might make an ideal target for somebody who wants to do that since there's so many people there. Why has there never been a mass shooting or bombing at the beach? Because of the armed security there. They've got really good armed security and as such its really safe there.

And the bombing at the boston marathon had no security present? What makes you think/feel having a hundred guns at home or one or two on your person protects you any more than the next person not carrying a weapon?

And the bombing at the boston marathon had no security present? What makes you think/feel having a hundred guns at home or one or two on your person protects you any more than the next person not carrying a weapon?

How about the fact that according to FBI stats private citizens use firearms to defend themselves up to 2.5 million times a year?

False. There are roughly fifty to sixty gun deaths a year in the u.k. Conversely in america we have one hundred and sixty times the gun deaths that the u.k. has. Tell Japan, Australia and Norway nothing can be done and see if they agree. Gun control does work, it's the gun owners who disagree.

Do you have evidence that the gun laws on UK and tge like actually reduced there gun deaths?

Do you have evidence that the gun laws on UK and tge like actually reduced there gun deaths?

I'd also want to make sure that there was an impact on homicides and suicides by all means to account for substitution.

False. There are roughly fifty to sixty gun deaths a year in the u.k. Conversely in america we have one hundred and sixty times the gun deaths that the u.k. has. Tell Japan, Australia and Norway nothing can be done and see if they agree. Gun control does work, it's the gun owners who disagree.
Gun control works but border control is racist. Only lefties.....only lefties.

Does this fall under the heading of guns don't kill people?

guns dont kill people. People kill people. As a pure fact a gun is not capable of killing anyone without a human weilding it. My lamp has the same issue. Try as it might to kill me, I sleep right next to it taking solace in the fact that it can never act on its murderous predisposition.

Gun control works but border control is racist. Only lefties.....only lefties.

You guys are really doing nothing but proving my point with your comments. Gun owners disagree with gun control.

guns dont kill people. People kill people. As a pure fact a gun is not capable of killing anyone without a human weilding it. My lamp has the same issue. Try as it might to kill me, I sleep right next to it taking solace in the fact that it can never act on its murderous predisposition.

Good one, I liked it. Even give you and upvote for it.

You guys are really doing nothing but proving my point with your comments. Gun owners disagree with gun control.

Not really we disagree with gun control designed as a means to prevent lawful citizens from owning them. Try all you want, guns are never going to be removed from Americans. Your only options are to ask us nicely to give them up to which will tell you no, OR move to another country which matches your stance on personal freedom. Otherwise feel free to complain about guns on the internet. Guns ensure you the right to your free speech.

"Gun control" is too broad of a term to have any meaning without details. Most gun owners do disagree with unconstitutional, ineffective, and unenforceable gun control.

Not really we disagree with gun control designed as a means to prevent lawful citizens from owning them. Try all you want, guns are never going to be removed from Americans. Your only options are to ask us nicely to give them up to which will tell you no, OR move to another country which matches your stance on personal freedom. Otherwise feel free to complain about guns on the internet. Guns ensure you the right to your free speech.

Guns do not ensure my right to free speech. Something about that constitution thingy does if I remember correctly? I do realize some gun owners think weaponry is the savior of humanity, I happen to disagree. I also realize guns will always exist in america. We have it ingrained in us from the perverted harvey weinstein liberal left movie makers. All those westerns with all those guns, the gun that 'won' the west and so on. I voice and opinion, you call it complaining because you want to hear nothing in the form of opposition to your belief of your rights. Nothing. Do not give an inch. I'm not moving so I guess I'm reduced to trying to make one gun owner at least think a little bit and not be so tied to what the NRA tells them to think. I mean how many elections do we have to hear from the right, the liberals are coming for your guns?

Here we have a shooting in the UK which has some of the strictest gun control in the world. So this just goes to show the ineffectiveness of gun control.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/hitma...crime-boss-mr-big-caught-by-gps-running-watch

Nirvana fallacy

Although the UK has some of the strictest handgun control laws on the planet, ne'er do wells yet have sought ways to circumvent them, and nobody in their right mind, on either side of gun control, thought they wouldn't. Nonetheless, comparing UK gun deaths before and after the Dunblane-driven changes to UK gun laws appears to have materially attenuated the incidence of involuntary gun deaths.
That's what the legislation was intended to do; thus it has worked.

Guns do not ensure my right to free speech. Something about that constitution thingy does if I remember correctly? I do realize some gun owners think weaponry is the savior of humanity, I happen to disagree. I also realize guns will always exist in america. We have it ingrained in us from the perverted harvey weinstein liberal left movie makers. All those westerns with all those guns, the gun that 'won' the west and so on. I voice and opinion, you call it complaining because you want to hear nothing in the form of opposition to your belief of your rights. Nothing. Do not give an inch. I'm not moving so I guess I'm reduced to trying to make one gun owner at least think a little bit and not be so tied to what the NRA tells them to think. I mean how many elections do we have to hear from the right, the liberals are coming for your guns?

lol just what exactly do you think enforces the constitution. Guns are there to protect that very 1st.

I'm quite relaxed about staying where I'm TWENTYFIVE TIMES less likely to be shot than you are.
Mu.st let you sleep well at night knowing your chance of being shot is 0.0000000005% vs 0.000000125%, or whatever. :lamo.

Because with guns I can stop somebody who might harm not only me but also the next person or other innocent people.

If your point is gun owners disagree with stupid people attempting to impose unconstitutional restrictions on free citizens that are proven to have no impact on violent crimes...then yes...we are working very hard to prove your point.

Banning handguns is not what stopped school shootings in the UK since school shootings aren't done with handguns, they're done with rifles or shotguns or long guns of some sort.
Thats pretty ****ing classic.
The Dunblane Massacre which spawned the handgun ban in the UK involved the use of handguns. But here in the US the hue and cry is for the ban of 'assault rifles'.

Because any means necessary...and anyone that thinks they will stop with ARs is foolish.

Thats pretty ****ing classic.
The Dunblane Massacre which spawned the handgun ban in the UK involved the use of handguns. But here in the US the hue and cry is for the ban of 'assault rifles'.

Because any means necessary...and anyone that thinks they will stop with ARs is foolish.
Well you can still get long guns in the UK and even handguns if they're over a certain length, but as for not having school shootings in the UK it is not because of their ban on small firearms. As I said before school shootings are done with long guns not handguns. So even if they not only ban but totally eliminate all handguns from the UK there is no reason somebody couldn't shoot up a school there with a long gun. So if there are no school shootings in the UK it is not because of their ban on handguns.

Mu.st let you sleep well at night knowing your chance of being shot is 0.0000000005% vs 0.000000125%, or whatever. :lamo.

Keep it simple. Your odds are 25/1 to be shot rather than me. One of many reasons for me to be glad I'm not you.

Back
Top Bottom