• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun control sure works NOT

Negotiation

Elaborate, given that every state currently supports some variation of an individual right to keep and bear arms, as do both of the major parties of the United States.

Please have every Democrat you support run on a platform of overturning the Second Amendment and banning all guns.

Are you working towards citizenship?

How will you get 2/3 of each House of Congress and 3/4 of the state legislatures to approve such a measure?

Even if they did that they would not be able to repeal the 2A as its part of the BOR.

They are being...but there are millions...hundreds of millions of guns out there.

So there are always guns filtering down into criminal hands.

So start by banning all guns...seize the legally held ones...then start to destroy the illegally haled ones as their owners are caught.

YOU don't get to dictate how many guns are allowed in the United States. You are not the king.

With an amendment to the Constitution that repeals the 2nd amendment.

Repealing the 2nd amendment by itself would not grant the federal government any new authority. They don't have the authority specified anywhere in the Constitution to take anything like guns.

I really doubt anyone could pass the necessary amendments to the Constitution without a war breaking out.

How will you get 2/3 of each House of Congress and 3/4 of the state legislatures to approve such a measure?

Personally I don't think you can

But who knows...maybe America's appetite to stomach more and more mass shootings will change.

The US Supreme Court has already ruled that in the same way that freedom of speech doesn't extend to shouting "FIRE" in the middle of a crowded theater, it has also ruled that the Federal government can ban certain forearms (fully auto weapons made after 1986?), sawn off shotguns.

Maybe that is the way forward under a more liberal government.

Start by banning ALL fully auto guns, then all semi auto, then all hand guns, then all bolt/lever/pump action guns with a magazine capacity more than 2.

Personally I don't think you can

But who knows...maybe America's appetite to stomach more and more mass shootings will change.

The US Supreme Court has already ruled that in the same way that freedom of speech doesn't extend to shouting "FIRE" in the middle of a crowded theater, it has also ruled that the Federal government can ban certain forearms (fully auto weapons made after 1986?), sawn off shotguns.

Actually, you can shout "fire" in a crowded theater. See Brandenburg v Ohio. SCOTUS didn't actually rule on the Hughes Amendment, and US v Miller was based on the premise that short barreled shotguns have no military use. That premise is false calling the ruling into question. Short barreled shotguns aren't actually banned, and some versions are readily available (see Mossberg Shockwave) and the restriction on short barreled shotguns has prevented exactly zero criminals who wanted one from getting one, as hacksaws are readily available at any hardware store in the country.

Maybe that is the way forward under a more liberal government.

Start by banning ALL fully auto guns, then all semi auto, then all hand guns, then all bolt/lever/pump action guns with a magazine capacity more than 2.

Please insist all liberal politicians run on this platform.

...please insist all liberal politicians run on this platform.

They would have my vote

If US law allowed me to have one.

But like the blacks, women and Native Americans in 1776 I am excluded.

(and no you can't shout "fire" in a crowded theater...unless of course there is one).

They would have my vote

If US law allowed me to have one.

But like the blacks, women and Native Americans in 1776 I am excluded.

(and no you can't shout "fire" in a crowded theater...unless of course there is one).

So you contradict yourself. You CAN shout "fire" in a crowded theater.

You aren't gagged upon entering a theater to insure that you cannot.

But that's what you essentially propose in the case of guns.

So you contradict yourself. You CAN shout "fire" in a crowded theater....

Only if there is one

If there isn't, the freedom of speech doesn't let your shout it anyway.
Do you understand ?

...you aren't gagged upon entering a theater to insure that you cannot....

I think you mean ENSURE

A common mistake that people from the failing US education system make.

...but that's what you essentially propose in the case of guns.

You mean ban them ?

Then yes.

Only if there is one

If there isn't, the freedom of speech doesn't let your shout it anyway.
Do you understand ?

I understand that you can shout "fire" even if there isn't one. Perhaps you meant to say something else?

I think you mean ENSURE

Do you understand that an ad hominem fallacy coupled with a weak grammatical correction only makes for a transparent deflection?

You mean ban them ?

Then yes.

Did you not understand the point or was it too inconvenient to your weak ass argument?

I think you mean ENSURE

In American English, they can be interchangeable.

"Q: Are “ensure” and “insure” interchangeable?—Anonymous

A: Some stylebooks say yes, and some say no. Are you any less confused? These two words are often used in place of each other, but WD’s style separates them.WD—and many other publications—uses “insure” only when referring to financial insurance policies. After signing a contract with a professional baseball team, Jack decided to insure his pitching arm for $1 million. When the meaning is “to make certain,” WD sticks with “ensure.” It’s my job to ensure that you don’t misuse terms like these.

There are some newspapers and magazines, such as The New York Times and The New Yorker, that still use “insure” in both instances, but it’s fairly archaic to do so. Most publications differentiate the two."

https://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/ensure-vs-insure

In American English, they can be interchangeable.

"Q: Are “ensure” and “insure” interchangeable?—Anonymous

A: Some stylebooks say yes, and some say no. Are you any less confused? These two words are often used in place of each other, but WD’s style separates them.WD—and many other publications—uses “insure” only when referring to financial insurance policies. After signing a contract with a professional baseball team, Jack decided to insure his pitching arm for $1 million. When the meaning is “to make certain,” WD sticks with “ensure.” It’s my job to ensure that you don’t misuse terms like these.

There are some newspapers and magazines, such as The New York Times and The New Yorker, that still use “insure” in both instances, but it’s fairly archaic to do so. Most publications differentiate the two."

https://www.writersdigest.com/online-editor/ensure-vs-insure

Though I think you would be hard pressed to find support for "forearm" being defined as "fully auto weapons made after 1986".

Or for this being correct: "freedom of speech doesn't let your shout it anyway"

Yet for some reason he was compelled to go that route. :lol:

Keep posting all you want, I'm only going to vote for candidate that will GRAB YOUR GUNS!

Nothing will change my mind.

Keep posting all you want, I'm only going to vote for candidate that will GRAB YOUR GUNS!

Nothing will change my mind.

of course you will-gun control is motivated by hate for conservatives BTW-do you plan on helping grab those guns if it comes to that?

Back
Top Bottom