• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun control status poll

Where do you stand on gun legislation restricting firearm ownership?

• Status Quo - Could use some tweaking but it's generally fine

• More firearm restrictions needed

• Less firearm restrictions needed

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

ASHES

An Uncertain Person
Dungeon Master
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I see a lot of bi-partisan agreement on this issue, more than about any other generally partisan issue. So, just curious where we stand, with regards to gun control.

Is this for Canada or the good ole U.S. of A?
Or both.
Guns don't kill people do, but people without guns kill far less
images.jpg

Is this for Canada or the good ole U.S. of A?
Or both.
Guns don't kill people do, but people without guns kill far less
View attachment 67319422
Whatever you have an opinion on. It's generally US though. I'd probably say Canada's are too restrictive, but they don't have the second amendment. I also have not much of an opinion or knowledge on Canadian politics.

I think they're generally okay with some small tweaks needed. Get rid of the ban on fully-automatic weapons. Institute universal background checks.

I think they're generally okay with some small tweaks needed. Get rid of the ban on fully-automatic weapons. Institute universal background checks.
Reversing the ban on full auto isn't a small tweak.

In the US..."shall not be infringed".

In other words, no gun control.
That's just unfeasible. Should violent convicted felons have gun rights? Should there be no restrictions whatsoever? If I can build a nuke it's OK?

Reversing the ban on full auto isn't a small tweak.

That's just unfeasible. Should violent convicted felons have gun rights? Should there be no restrictions whatsoever? If I can build a nuke it's OK?
Anyone who commits a crime with a gun gets the death penalty. Problem solved.

Nukes are not arms that people can "bear". That is, you can't go to the store and buy one and building one isn't something the general public even knows how to do...even if they could somehow get the materials.

I want to reduce the number of mass shootings.

I'm trying to think of ways to reduce mass shootings through legislation.

I think mass shootings are the biggest threat to gun ownership.

I see a lot of bi-partisan agreement on this issue, more than about any other generally partisan issue. So, just curious where we stand, with regards to gun control.

Other - one must understand (and accept) the difference between an individual constitutional right and a (mere) state issued privilege.

IMHO, exactly the same individual qualifications (limitations?) should be used for the right to vote and the right to keep and bear arms.

Such a tired topic.
The results seem to confirm my original hypothesis, most people think firearm restrictions should stay the same, or be less restrictive. Making them more restrictive than they currently are is quite a minority. Still too early to call, need a larger sample size.

That depends on where you live in the US. Overall, I think there are some stupid restrictions in the federal laws that should be canned (e.g. restrictions on SBRs and suppressors), but otherwise I can live with them.

However, states like CA have tons of idiotic restrictions that have to go, whereas I could live with state-level requirements for background checks (but using an online portal or ID-flag, rather than the current system) in other states that don't have them.

Im in between status quo and more but I voted status . . . .

in general, I would like to see a trade . . . . Id gladly support universal background checks for making every state open carry like it should be according to the constitution and making it so CWPs are national just like drivers licences.

as for new laws .. .id probably support any and every new law that punished CRIMINALS and CRIMINAL ACTIVITY

I wont support laws that punish law-abiding citizens making it harder for them, while actually empowering criminals

Criminals dont care about laws

we must enforce laws on the books now and focus new laws on ILLEGAL use, possession, transportation, distribution and manufacturing of guns . . things that can actually punish the criminals

I would also support more clear temporary gun restrictions based on VERIFIED mental health issues and VERIFIED threats of violence.

A.) If I have a therapist and I tell the therapist im going to kill everybody at the quickie mart or my therapist deems im a serious potential danger I have no problem with my gun being taking from me and my situation being further evaluated

B.) If I go on facebook and say im going to kill my girlfriend or some judge . . . again . . I have no problem with my gun being taking from me and my situation being further evaluated

C.) if im a piece of shit women beater and I beat my GF and threaten her .. again . . I have no problem with my gun being taking from me and my situation being further evaluated

Anyone who commits a crime with a gun gets the death penalty. Problem solved.

Nukes are not arms that people can "bear". That is, you can't go to the store and buy one and building one isn't something the general public even knows how to do...even if they could somehow get the materials.
That's a bit of an extreme solution, as I'm sure you're aware.

Supposing someone figured out how to mass produce suitcase nukes. Even if they are relatively expensive compared to other arms, (like $250,000 each), should those be allowed on the free market?

That's a bit of an extreme solution, as I'm sure you're aware.

Supposing someone figured out how to mass produce suitcase nukes. Even if they are relatively expensive compared to other arms, (like $250,000 each), should those be allowed on the free market?
There are Supreme Court rulings that define what "bear arms" means, and suitcase nukes don't meet their definition. Don't go all hyperbole on me, eh?

There are Supreme Court rulings that define what "bear arms" means, and suitcase nukes don't meet their definition. Don't go all hyperbole on me, eh?
You said no restrictions on the second amendment. Rulings schmulings.

That is ridiculous. Having 10 year olds or convicted felons able to be legally armed is not a good (or even sane) idea.
When my sons were 9 years old, they were just as competent at handling firearms as I am after half a lifetime in the Army. That's because I taught them.

A law that says a convicted felon who commits a crime involving a firearm gets the death penalty is sufficient.

I posted less restrictions needed because IMO, some states are overly restrictive.

The regulations we have now are not enforced or observed as it is.

Why add more?

I would be okay if we threw all the guns to the bottom of the sea. Mine included. I could give up my love for hunting and shooting if it would save the lives of all the people getting murdered. I could find another pastime that is equally enjoyable, I'm sure.

But that ain't gonna happen so I'll be damned if I'm gonna give up mine if they aren't gonna give up theirs's.

It's a futile debate. Guns are already here and here they will stay. Criminals don't obey laws. That includes gun laws. You can't get toothpaste back into the tube.

In a perfect world we wouldn't need them. This is not a perfect world.

If more guns and gunowners made for a safer society America would be the safest country on the planet. It's not. I like Chris Rock's idea.

So, just curious where we stand, with regards to gun control.
I would do away with almost all gun control, keeping only the need to be 18, to have liability insurance, and a few gun-free zones like prisons. Everything else belongs in the trash bin imo.

Back
Top Bottom