• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun control I definitely oppose

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is NOT the way to control a revolver. I wonder how many people by a revolver not knowing anything about this? No gun shop has ever even hinted to my wife or myself of this danger.

Common knowledge for revolver shooters - is is flame cutting.

That is why revolver shooters keep their hands away from the cylinder gap when firing the gun.

It is not the responsibility of a gun shop to advise about this situation.

Check the gun's manual and see if there is information there.

This issue has been around as long as revolvers have been around - there is nothing new about this.

Knowledge is power.

This stuff is pretty much "revolver 101".

Common knowledge for revolver shooters - is is flame cutting.

That is why revolver shooters keep their hands away from the cylinder gap when firing the gun.

It is not the responsibility of a gun shop to advise about this situation.

Check the gun's manual and see if there is information there.

This issue has been around as long as revolvers have been around - there is nothing new about this.

Knowledge is power.

Used firearms don't have manuals and who reads the safety section about anything? Many people buying a handgun know nothing about them and may never have even fired a handgun before.

This is NOT the way to control a revolver. I wonder how many people by a revolver not knowing anything about this? No gun shop has ever even hinted to my wife or myself of this danger.

I thought it was common knowledge. My Dad warned me about it the first time I shot one, when I was a little kid.

Used firearms don't have manuals and who reads the safety section about anything? Many people buying a handgun know nothing about them and may never have even fired a handgun before.

If you're gonna have a controlled explosion going off in your hand and you don't bother to educate yourself on the dangers of it, you're pretty much the poster boy for gun control.

Not to be sexist, but I suspect a far percentage of women who buy a firearm never fired a gun before in their life.

My daddy (who was on coumadin for a previous heart attack) taught me about slide bite when I was 7.
he had his hand over mine on the teensie weensie .25 Beretta as I shot it for the first time. Of course it bit him.
That ended that shooting session cuz he bled like a stuck pig. Great lesson I've never been bitten by one in all these years
28saazo.jpg

Not to be sexist, but I suspect a far percentage of women who buy a firearm never fired a gun before in their life.

It really isn't that much different than "slide bite" from the wrong grip on a pistol. I mean, hell, if you've never used a kitchen knife before and slice a finger off while chopping up an onion does that mean it's the store's responsibility to teach you basic kitchen safety?

Manuals are available online for about every firearm.

You don't care to read about gun safety in a manual, but start a thread complaining about a gun shop not giving information they are not responsible to give.

Every individual who buys anything is responsible for understanding their purchase - Caveat emptor exists for a reason.

Consumer sellers are not responsible for spoon feeding - that is why there are instruction manuals.

Or people who don't bother to read the safety section of gun manuals.

It really isn't that much different than "slide bite" from the wrong grip on a pistol. I mean, hell, if you've never used a kitchen knife before and slice a finger off while chopping up an onion does that mean it's the store's responsibility to teach you basic kitchen safety?

Ding, ding, ding!

Just like getting a blister from using a hammer all day.......'Why did nobody tell me!?'

hah joko? I went out to the range years ago with my 14 yr old son and his 15 year old GF
I concocted a shooting contest between the two.
My kid had first had a gun put in his hand at age 3 ;)
This young Catholic schoolgirl had never touched one in her life
28saazo.jpg

AR-15 iron sights 100 yards
NRA Standard 100 yd. Small Bore Rifle Single 8" bull - 7-8-9-10 rings black - Size: 14" x 14", paper
she came so close to winning I rail him about it to this day.

This stuff is pretty much "revolver 101".

Yea, I just checked the instruction manual for one of my Ruger revolvers that I got online, and right there is is!

Oopsie!

Yea, I just checked the instruction manual for one of my Ruger revolvers that I got online, and right there is is!

Oopsie!

I can kind of see how it could happen. Using a pistol grip on a revolver or vice versa is going to be bad on your hands so if someone who has always shot pistols gets a revolver in their hands I can at least understand the mistake. Now, if that same person picked up a S&W 500 for their first ever revolver......

It's the old story, the most dangerous person in the room is the one who already knows everything.

I can kind of see how it could happen. Using a pistol grip on a revolver or vice versa is going to be bad on your hands so if someone who has always shot pistols gets a revolver in their hands I can at least understand the mistake. Now, if that same person picked up a S&W 500 for their first ever revolver......

It's the old story, the most dangerous person in the room is the one who already knows everything.

Exactly correct!

I believe that the S&W 340 (very lightweight titanium .357) has a steel insert to protect the titanium frame from flame cutting damage during firing.

Shoot a revolver in low light or look at a still picture during firing will show it.

Age old issue.

Yep. Revolver "gap burn" and semi-auto "slide bite" are real hazards of an improper handgun grip, as are hearing/eye damage from their use. Having an explosion occur in your hand and very near your head requires proper use of each as well as learning proper safety precautions and using safety equipment (ear/eye protection). This should not come as a surprise to anyone. It is no more intuitive to safely use a handgun than to safely operate a motorcycle or any other "dangerous" tool, device or machine; I would advise reading all that one can about any dangerous tool (or device/machine) and getting advice from those that are experienced with them before just seeing for yourself how things go.

Exactly correct!

I believe that the S&W 340 (very lightweight titanium .357) has a steel insert to protect the titanium frame from flame cutting damage during firing.

Shoot a revolver in low light or look at a still picture during firing will show it.

Age old issue.

It might. I'm pretty sure that there used to be a Russian revolver with a gas seal but it's really not anything I'm particularly familiar with.

Most people do NOT carry a 454 casull for self defence. Kind of an over reaction.

It might. I'm pretty sure that there used to be a Russian revolver with a gas seal but it's really not anything I'm particularly familiar with.

Yea my pop's owns one. It is the Mosin Nagant revolver. When you pull the trigger the cylinder is pushed tight up against the barrel as you fire. It is one of the few revolvers that could actually be silenced.

Yes there is. I saw one at a gun show a year or so ago and had the opportunity to purchase it. Since the ammo would be difficult to find, I passed on the offer.

Yea my pop's owns one. It is the Mosin Nagant revolver. When you pull the trigger the cylinder is pushed tight up against the barrel as you fire. It is one of the few revolvers that could actually be silenced.

The Russian couple who was selling the gun mentioned this to me. I thought it would be nice to own it but I decided against it.

The Russian couple who was selling the gun mentioned this to me. I thought it would be nice to own it but I decided against it.

Yea the trigger pull is ridiculously heavy and the ammo at the time was hard to find so he got a .32 cylinder for it. Outside of an interesting curiosity, it's not all that.

I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for someone who goes out and buys a gun, then injures themselves because they didn't learn to safely handle it.

However, this is the kind of accident that could be prevented by requiring everyone to take a basic gun handling course that involves shooting actual guns before being allowed to buy a gun.

Back
Top Bottom