• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun control I definitely oppose

Of course it is. You're delusional if you think it isn't.

5 posts up, where you replied to my comment about us not having any unrestricted rights with "That's wrong".

I don't have a problem with rights, I have a problem with people who use them like a bludgeon in an argument, and rather than actually offering a counter-argument, just respond with "You can't do that because it infringes my rights".

And I don't have a problem with the constitution either. I have a problem with people who treat it as holy writ.

Again a right is not a privilege. You still got it wrong. Yes your comment is wrong, this however does not mean eights are limitless. In fact I stated clearly again why this is.

I suppose you believe the Constitution is a "living document" as well?
I find it impossible to discuss anything with folks like that, all you've got left is to ridicule them?

but c'mon Black Manta shouldn't we cut them a break? In the last hundred years haven't we strayed so far away from the intent and content of that dusty ol piece of paper that we've come to the point where the Supreme Court has ruled we are property of the State under the new Affordable Care Act? Really I'm thinkin' it is indeed our side that isn't keeping up with the times Comrade

hey leftie gun grabbers don't try to grab my gun it might go off and that would be all on you and any bystanders too

Used firearms don't have manuals and who reads the safety section about anything? Many people buying a handgun know nothing about them and may never have even fired a handgun before.

Then they are wrong. Manuals are available online, I've downloaded and printed a few myself. But this issue is one reason I don't own a revolver. It's not that there is anything wrong with the way they function but because I've cut off the index and middle fingers on my left hand. They were put back on, but they are missing a joint each and would end up protruding next to the front of the cylinder since they don't bend.

I actually never knew this but, my hand placement wouldn't contact the cylinder as it's meant to move.

I had to finally break down and watch the silly vid OK I guess if you glommed on to a .454 Casull like that you'd get an owie
but for heavens sake who ever put the thing in your hand was remiss in their basic duty wouldn't you agree?
I'd have to imagine anyone that would purchase such an expensive monster hand cannon would know better?

I actually never knew this but, my hand placement wouldn't contact the cylinder as it's meant to move.
well there you go common sense on parade

But that is not the Texas law, now is it. I agree that the 10 hour course is not a bad idea, but why was it made to cost so much? A driver's license in Texas costs $24 and includes any written and practical testing required, the CCW permit in Texas costs about $100 for the "NRA" course, $20 in ammo (50 rounds) and a $140 non-refundable "application fee". If a constitutional right costs 10x more than a mere state issued privilege then something is terribly wrong.

Is there a caliber requirement? Because two of my semi auto pistols are 22LR including my favorite range pistol, a Walther P22. This is the one I use for defensive pistol courses because it is very similar to my other semi autos in function and grip and ammo is cheap. Also, is the fee collected by the state or by the NRA to pay the private instructor? I do rifle instruction for the Appleseed Project and it is voluntary (not paid), our NRA pistol instruction provides our training for free but does charge others for courses. He just happens to be part of our CERT team and does it for us as a benefit.

Is there a caliber requirement? Because two of my semi auto pistols are 22LR including my favorite range pistol, a Walther P22. This is the one I use for defensive pistol courses because it is very similar to my other semi autos in function and grip and ammo is cheap. Also, is the fee collected by the state or by the NRA to pay the private instructor? I do rifle instruction for the Appleseed Project and it is voluntary (not paid), our NRA pistol instruction provides our training for free but does charge others for courses. He just happens to be part of our CERT team and does it for us as a benefit.

Yes. I have a .380, Taurus PT638.

Q: What do I need to bring to class?

A: You will need…

■Your semi-automatic handgun (all handguns will be inspected by instructor) in .32 caliber or larger (i.e. .380ACP, 40S&W, 45ACP)
■50 rounds of ammunition
■One magazine
■Your confirmation email, which includes your checklist
■If you have not received your confirmation email in time for the class, DO NOT PANIC. The class can be taken without the checklist.

There are (at least) two fees involved, one for the "private" (but Texas gov't approved) NRA course (payable to them directly), for fingerprinting (about $10) and a separate, non-refundable, "application fee" payable to Texas DPS.

These fees are explained (somewhat) in the link that I have provided below:

CHL FAQs : Texas Concealed Handgun License

hah ok well I driven a car nearly every day since i was 15 years 7 months old a million and a half miles accident free and I've shot um wait I've never shot anyone with my gun. And we all know cars kill and wound far more people every year.

Yes. I have a .380, Taurus PT638.

There are (at least) two fees involved, one for the "private" (but Texas gov't approved) NRA course (payable to them directly), for fingerprinting (about $10) and a separate, non-refundable, "application fee" payable to Texas DPS.

These fees are explained (somewhat) in the link that I have provided below:

CHL FAQs : Texas Concealed Handgun License

You may have a point when it comes to expenses. I would recommend a training course before issuing a CCW permit but I'm not sold on the cost. I'll have to renew mine this winter, it will cost me about $70 and we don't have a mandatory training course. I prefer permit holders have training but I'm conflicted on the issue of costs. I feel the charge here is fair for what is a 4 year permit, but a case could certainly be made for what amounts to a tax to exercise a Constitutional right. I think ranges could use this as an advertising tool if they would be allowed to offer the training for free for those who would join the range and pay the fees.

You may have a point when it comes to expenses. I would recommend a training course before issuing a CCW permit but I'm not sold on the cost. I'll have to renew mine this winter, it will cost me about $70 and we don't have a mandatory training course. I prefer permit holders have training but I'm conflicted on the issue of costs. I feel the charge here is fair for what is a 4 year permit, but a case could certainly be made for what amounts to a tax to exercise a Constitutional right. I think ranges could use this as an advertising tool if they would be allowed to offer the training for free for those who would join the range and pay the fees.

With all of the liberal whine about the "discriminatory burden" of requiring a basic valid, state issued, photo ID (potentially free in Texas) to vote, only as yourself and only once in any given election, it amazes me that they see no harm (or foul) with the rediculous costs associated with "renting" one's right to bear arms from the state.

With the recent attacks on 2nd Amendment rights coming from the left, this picture was taken at a recent gun show. The sign no doubt shares the views of many.

With the recent attacks on 2nd Amendment rights coming from the left, this picture was taken at a recent gun show. The sign no doubt shares the views of many.

our range is full of obama stickered cars

mainly blacks who like to shoot and Union guys who think that Obama won't take their guns but will jack up their pay

This is NOT the way to control a revolver. I wonder how many people by a revolver not knowing anything about this? No gun shop has ever even hinted to my wife or myself of this danger.

That actually never occurred to me, but neither would holding a revolver like that occur to me either.

Strange, isn't it?

Yes considering the care is supposed to be my property. Unfortunatly the state owns and maintains the roads and part of my car, lol.

Yes considering the care is supposed to be my property. Unfortunatly the state owns and maintains the roads and part of my car, lol.
Well you also have the right to engage in commerce, and the State's job is to maintain an environment where you can legally and peaceably enjoy your rights and liberties. They are using your money to pay for those roads, after all.

Well you also have the right to engage in commerce, and the State's job is to maintain an environment where you can legally and peaceably enjoy your rights and liberties. They are using your money to pay for those roads, after all.

I agree. What can you do? They are firmly entrenched and the politicians don't give a rat's ass about our rights.

Back
Top Bottom