• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun control advocates ---- how do we fix Chicago?

Josie

*probably reading smut*
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
It seems like everyday we hear another news story about people being gunned down in Chicago. What do we do to fix it, gun control advocates?

It seems like everyday we hear another news story about people being gunned down in Chicago. What do we do to fix it, gun control advocates?

I'm guessing you think the answer is, somehow, more guns?

I'm guessing you think the answer is, somehow, more guns?

guns in the hands of criminals cause problems

gun control doesn't do much, if anything, to solve that problem

guns in the hands of honest people tend to prevent crimes

gun control tends to decrease those numbers

gun control therefore tends to increase crime

Since poverty and despair tend to be the root causes of violence I suggest that we just give everyone in Chicago a couple of million bucks and hire a bunch of the unemployed to hang out there hugging people, giving kind words of encouragement and apologizing for our failure as a society to properly embrace them as fellow human beings.

The question isn't posed to me since I'm not a gun control advocate.

What a cop out.

So you've got no solutions of your own, you just want to whine.

It seems like everyday we get multiple threads from people trashing Chicago as if it is the only city having problems with guns.
Pretty despicable seeing these people cheering against Chicago because of gun crime.
This is what Republicans hiding behind Libertarian-Right labels do.

It seems like everyday we get multiple threads from people trashing Chicago as if it is the only city having problems with guns.
Pretty despicable seeing these people cheering against Chicago because of gun crime.
This is what Republicans hiding behind Libertarian-Right labels do.

I'm not cheering for gun crime...never have, never will. I want to know what the solution is.

I think Detroit needs more help than Chicago..

It isn't feeding posters who make comments like #2.
Just say no hasn't worked in big cities.
We are working through our problems here in Illinois, thank you.
We're working on concealed-carry, which all legal citizens of Chicago should have a right to, IMO.

Simple, make gun ownership akin to driving. Nationally. Register all guns (or maybe just handguns) , and require any owner to have proof of registration. Make possession of an unregistered gun a crime, and toughen penalties for use of a gun in a crime.

As long as Detroit and Chicago are Democratic cities, they are cannon fodder for gunners and partisans.

As soon as you mention registration, that's a no-go on DP. Expect a deluge from the wrong-wing anytime.
"Only criminals will have guns with registration".
I want to cut to the chase.
The people up there want concealed-carry. I say give it to them.
Simple, make gun ownership akin to driving. Nationally. Register all guns (or maybe just handguns) , and require any owner to have proof of registration. Make possession of an unregistered gun a crime, and toughen penalties for use of a gun in a crime.

Detroit, St. Louis, Chicago....wherever. How do we fix it?

LOL I have no idea how besides creating jobs. It's tough in those places where you have an almost inescapable cycle of poverty.

The solution doesn't involve either gun control or gun freedoms. It involves economic development, increasing opportunity, flooding the streets with law enforcement in the short term, getting the community involved to change the culture of gangs and drugs, etc. I've often wondered what would happen if we had a president (from either party) with the balls to visit all of these high crime areas in the country. I'm pretty sure those places would become some of the most secure areas in the world overnight for a presidential visit, and would bring the country's awareness up dramatically. Unfortunately, it's just too convenient to sweep these areas under the rug and forget about them.

As soon as you mention registration, that's a no-go on DP. Expect a deluge from the wrong-wing anytime.
"Only criminals will have guns with registration".
I want to cut to the chase.
The people up there want concealed-carry. I say give it to them.

Who wants concealed carry?

And what's with concealed carry anyway? Why not make it open carry if you want? I don't get that.

IMO, it has nothing to do with guns. It has to do with poverty and lack of jobs. There are too many people in this country and not enough jobs, especially since we no longer have a manufacturing industry. We NEED those kinds of jobs. People have to be able to make money to live, or you get people collecting services and making your state/city broke and/or more violence and more crime.

Detroit is a perfect example of this.

Anything so gunners will STFU and take away their arguments.
The elderly Chicago Blacks still in good physical and mental shape brought this lawsuit.
The Illinois Supreme Court went along with them. So do I.
Gangbangers will never know what hit them.
Who wants concealed carry?

And what's with concealed carry anyway? Why not make it open carry if you want? I don't get that.

Gangbangers don't want jobs.
Bangers wouldn't take jobs if they were handed them.
They want KUSH, Ecstacy, Heroin and whatever else is around.
My ideas for roving Martial Law to flush out the Rats have been dismissed by the righties.
That shows me They aren't serious.
IMO, it has nothing to do with guns. It has to do with poverty and lack of jobs. There are too many people in this country and not enough jobs, especially since we no longer have a manufacturing industry. We NEED those kinds of jobs. People have to be able to make money to live, or you get people collecting services and making your state/city broke and/or more violence and more crime.

Detroit is a perfect example of this.

Put a bounty on drive-by shooters. Bounty and relocation expenses. Try that and see what happens. Anyone caught in the city limits with an unregistered handgun who is ineligible to get a permit themselves gets a 20-year jail sentence, no parole. If those things don't work, try something else . . . what we're doing now isn't working. We all know the definition of insanity, yes?

Gangbangers don't want jobs.
Bangers wouldn't take jobs if they were handed them.
They want KUSH, Ecstacy, Heroin and whatever else is around.
My ideas for roving Martial Law to flush out the Rats have been dismissed by the righties.
That shows me They aren't serious.

What the hell? Do you think they're born that way? Of course not. It's a result of their environment and POVERTY. :roll:

1) Analyze the crimes, the different types, and why each happens, who is more likely to be a victim.
2) Work to improve on the factors of victimization, and work to improve on factors of criminal behavior.
3) Bring others into this analytic-response approach (outside of the law, and victims - people who are otherwise not directly affected).
4) Analyze law enforcement and determine in what ways it's adequate, which ways it's not - do what's necessary to bolster it's adequacy.
5) Support and encourage non-criminal behavior and activities.
8) Support and encourage the people to not tolerate said crime.

There's no reason why large areas with massive populations should be undermined by the hands of a few reckless buffoons.

9) Weed out the higher-level crime in the same manor, and to do so, begin by highlighting their activities, rather than blending them in with the lesser riff raff.

Back
Top Bottom