• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gun control advocates ---- how do we fix Chicago?

Well, it looks like some people here are definitely certain that handguns have NOTHING to do with the shootings.

And you wonder why the rest of the world ridicules America.

:roll:

What the rest of the world laughs at is of no concern.

Well, I find it a pretty persuasive argument that the consequences of drugs being legalized could not possibly be worse than the consequences of them being illegal.

what is amazing is how many of the gun banners support legalization of drugs arguing that the jihad against drugs causes more crime and deaths and damage than legalization ever would do

Does this mean you don't defend drug users?
There's a lot more money in drug dealers/white collar crime.
what is amazing is how many of the gun banners support legalization of drugs arguing that the jihad against drugs causes more crime and deaths and damage than legalization ever would do

Does this mean you don't defend drug users?
There's a lot more money in drug dealers/white collar crime.

I haven't a clue what you are babbling about.

Well, I find it a pretty persuasive argument that the consequences of drugs being legalized could not possibly be worse than the consequences of them being illegal.
Totally agree. I don't have a problem with some regulations to protect the public from intoxicated users, but other than that all the current laws do is provide a black market boon for criminally minded individuals and put tax payers on the hook for dealing with the ones we actually do catch.

Totally agree. I don't have a problem with some regulations to protect the public from intoxicated users, but other than that all the current laws do is provide a black market boon for criminally minded individuals and put tax payers on the hook for dealing with the ones we actually do catch.

Well, right; just as with alcohol, use can be restricted, but prohibition is the root of many, many bad things.

Really, it's time to let it go.

I am not a fan of using the murder rate per 100K for one simple reason. In a city the size of Chicago, even if they have the highest total number of murders it would look better when you take into account that they have more than three times the population than many other "high rate" cities. Sure, in one respect you could say that out of that population, only x out of y actually end up murdered, but then when you consider that it comes from particular areas of the city, and took that area and compared to another high crime area in a smaller city you could massage the sample sizes indefinitely to make the rate whatever you like.
In terms of pure numbers, few of the big cities come out too well.

But without putting the numbers in context, they are meaningless. Bigger populations will have a bigger number, pretty regardless of any other factors. You need the context that per 100,000 provides to be abble to compare and assess.

But without putting the numbers in context, they are meaningless. Bigger populations will have a bigger number, pretty regardless of any other factors. You need the context that per 100,000 provides to be abble to compare and assess.
Sure, the rate is one factor and I don't deny that in the least. The problem is that a lot of gun control groups use that as the only number and that waters down the entire picture. Sure, as a murder rate Chicago isn't as bad as say New Orleans, St. Louis, or Detroit, but the bulk numbers are higher, either way, most big cities have a much higher than acceptable murder problem.

Sure, the rate is one factor and I don't deny that in the least. The problem is that a lot of gun control groups use that as the only number and that waters down the entire picture. Sure, as a murder rate Chicago isn't as bad as say New Orleans, St. Louis, or Detroit, but the bulk numbers are higher, either way, most big cities have a much higher than acceptable murder problem.

Cities will always have a higher murder rate because there's more people closer together. But what the per 100,000 allows us to do is compare, and, as I've always said, the comparison shows gun laws have **** all to do with the murder rate.

Cities will always have a higher murder rate because there's more people closer together. But what the per 100,000 allows us to do is compare, and, as I've always said, the comparison shows gun laws have **** all to do with the murder rate.
I don't even agree with that completely. Sure, there can be a couple of active rival gangs that are more aggressive here or there, but overall the raw numbers still exist. From everything I understand about Chicago the city is not bad overall, but if you do end up in a bad area you are completely S.O.L. same with a lot of cities. Another number that doesn't get reported is the incident frequency, sometimes a city will have a high annual number, but this is simply the compiled murders annually, some cities like NOLA and Chicago have monthly numbers that are astronomical. It's a complex issue is my overall point. EDIT - I do agree that the firearms are not a factor, sorry, that didn't register on my first read, IMO it's secondary crime associated with the black market more than anything else.

Well, it looks like some people here are definitely certain that handguns have NOTHING to do with the shootings. And you wonder why the rest of the world ridicules America.

The "Rest of the world" calls upon America when they want brave, tough fighting men that have stood ready to die on foreign soil for the freedom of complete strangers for 200 years.

America is very close to ceasing that task. I doubt if we'll hear much of anything from the "Rest of the world" after that.

Last edited:
It seems like everyday we hear another news story about people being gunned down in Chicago. What do we do to fix it, gun control advocates?

Stop watching Faux news and/or get a life of your own ?

....Despite the familiar media refrain that Chicago is the nation’s murder capital, the “windy city” does not even qualify as one of the nation’s top 25 most dangerous cities for homicide. Yes, in sheer numbers Chicago leads the nation’s cities in murders, but its per capita murder rate is lower than forty other cities with populations above 40,000 residents. In 2011, the last year where records have been tabulated to compare cities, according to FBI statistics, Chicago, with a per capita murder rate of 15.9/per 100,000 residents, ranked behind over three dozen other American cities......

Chicago's Homicide Rate Does Not Rank Near the Top Among American Cities

:lamo

Back
Top Bottom