• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gulf Lawmakers to Obama: It's Time to Lift Ban on Offshore Drilling

Although the near-term risk of another similar accident is low, the impact would be catastrophic, especially as for all intents and purposes no credible plans for addressing such accidents exist (Congressional findings revealed that the accident response plans of the major oil companies were extraordinarily similar and the experience has revealed that the BP plan was not effective). Nonetheless, as a practical alternative to the moratorium, my view is that perhaps the other companies could be permitted to resume operations for a provisional 6-12-month period. Afterward, they would be expected to produce concrete plans for dealing with accidents similar to the current one along with reliable data showing that the plan's have a good chance of succeeding. An independent panel of leading scientists and engineers would need to evaluate those plans. During the review, the companies could continue to operate in the deepwaters. Failure to produce such plans within the 6-12-month timeframe would lead to an immediate suspension of deepwater operations for the firm(s) failing to provide the plans. Also, were the scientific panel to determine that the plan was not likely to be effective, deepwater operations for the firm(s) in question would also be terminated immediately and suspended until the defects were satisfactorily remedied.

Clearly, my suggestion would not go as far as the companies, contractors and their employees might prefer. At the same time, it would leave open the low probability of another catastrophic accident. Nevertheless, it would probably offer a reasonable middle ground by which the companies/contractors/employees could operate and put in place a process that would ensure that the issues that contributed to a lack of effective response to the present accident would be remedied.

Whether the Obama Administration and/or oil companies/contractors would be willing to accept such a compromise would remain to be seen. To my knowledge, no one has made such a suggestion.
I think a good idea would be to allow drilling in wells that already have relief wells drilled and a fresh set of inspections performed. This way jobs won't be lost because they'll need the workers to dig the relief wells and it would be much safer to operate them there after.

What would happen to the economy of the Gulf Coast economy if another oil rig or two had the same oil leak that will possibly take months to fix and decades to clean up happened?

What are the odds of that happening, considering that it took 40,000 wells and 50 odd years for this to happen, to begin with? Can you site me another industry with that good of a record?

You are aware that this clean up will take decades? So those fishermen and others whose livelihood was destroyed because of the BP oil leak will have a job for the next twenty to thirty years. Hopefully by the time the oil is all cleaned and the fish recover the oil companies will be able to fix a leak in a timely manner, not three or four months and 20 plus years of clean up.

And, you know, it didn't have to happen like that, if Obama would have been a leader, rather than an empty suit.

The actual numbers...

JUST THE FACTS: Drilling Moratorium's Impact on Louisiana's Families and Economy

No offense, Louisiana, but your short-sighted policies on drilling have had EXACTLY the impact that Floridians always feared they would. This is called making your bed, and sleeping in it.

Does that mean that Florida is going to reject it's share of the oil and gas royalties yielded from drilling in the GOM? WOuld rejection of those revenues go very well with FLA's $6 billion deficit? Prolly not, huh?

YEAH !!! BRAVO!!! GO OBAMA GO FOR THE " CHILL BABY CHILL "INSTEAD OF THE " DRILL BABY DRILL" this dirty OIL energy has got to go and should be gone with the wind !!! IT IS TIME TO MOVE TOWARD CLEANER, GREENER ENERGY !!!!

We are Fools living in a Fool's Lost Paradise. MEANWHILE THE OILS IS STILL SPEWING IN THE GULF !!!!

Thanks for getting it. We cannot continue drilling operations in the gulf as they presently exist. The risks have always been there, and because of our addiction to cheap oil, we've ignored it. We can't ignore it any longer. This incident has caused, and will continue to cause, massive pain. But, to continue doing the things that brought us to this point would be short-sighted and ridiculous. We have to change. Louisiana will have to change.

I know it will suck. But hell, Louisianians, you can comfort yourselves by reminding yourselves how much you've changed OUR LIVES, too.

America: "We want cheap oil and we want it now! 3/4 of us say that rising gas prices have caused financial hardship for our families. 83% of us say that gas prices have placed the country in a state of crisis or have caused major problems. The vast majority of us support offshore drilling. We want you to fix this NOW!"

LA/Oil Companies: "Ok, we'll do that"

*Things work well for a long time, Americans get cheap gas, everyone is happy*

*Oil leak*

America: "OH MY GOD HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US?!?!? WE DIDN'T WANT THIS!! WHY WOULD YOU DRILL LIKE THIS? IT MUST BE BECAUSE YOU'RE SO GREEDY. YOU RUINED OUR COUNTRY AND ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!"

LA/Oil Companies: "wtf"

June 1 was the start of the 2010 hurricane season, which is predicted to have more major storms than any season in the past 5 years. I do not believe that active drilling should proceed until better plans have been put into place. The risks are simply too great, and we have enough to handle down here, already.

In an ideal world, we'd end up capping the vast majority of deepwater wells.

Hurricanes are kind of a double-edged sword. On one hand, they would do wonders to disperse the oil to a level where bacteria could break it down. On the other hand, beaches and wetlands all along the gulf coast, from Brownsville to Florida, would become saturated from the oil that washes up, which would intensify the damage from this disaster. Let's hope the big storms stay out in the Atlantic this year.

What are the odds of that happening, considering that it took 40,000 wells and 50 odd years for this to happen, to begin with? Can you site me another industry with that good of a record?

It doesn't trouble that all those companies owning all those wells and not one has a solution to fix a leak in a timely manner? Its seems to me that 40,000 is nothing more than a ticking time bomb ready to explode and turn the Gulf and Gulf coastal area into a cesspool.

And, you know, it didn't have to happen like that, if Obama would have been a leader, rather than an empty suit.

I bet if it was McRino instead of Obama as president you would probably be giving him a pass. You would basically say the same thing I am saying which is it is BP's responsibility to clean the spill up, it is then the states responsibility to declare a state of emergency if they can not handle it then and then itswhat ever agencies whose job description it is clean up spills.This anger over Obama is nothing more than payback for all the stupid ass libs who bashed Bush during hurricane Katrina.

So, it makes since to just go ahead and kill the rest of the economy on the Gulf Coast? I would love to hear that logic. Now, there's not even a fall back for the fisherman to turn to to make a living.

Since when was oil the only part of the economy of the Gulf Coast? Do you even READ YOUR POSTS before you respond?

Cruise ships carry 6,000+bbls. of fuel oil. That wouldn't be a catastrohpe if one sank?

Not really. 6,000 bbls of fuel oil is drop in the bucket.

Now that there's going to be less production in the GOM, there's going to be more super tankers on the ocean. That's pure genius!!

Okay. Except you fail to recognize the problems Valdez had. Seriously, if you're trying to make a fool of yourself, you're doing an excellent job.

Now that BP has killed all the fish and ruined all the beaches, oil is the only thing left in the Gulf with any value!

You'd think that anyone with half a brain would have learned the lesson by now.

This anger over Obama is nothing more than payback for all the stupid ass libs who bashed Bush during hurricane Katrina.

Ah, but there's a difference. FEMA failed to provide even basic coverage that it is suppose to. I really don't expect the government who has no expertise with deep water drilling to be able to handle this mess, no matter who is in charge. A government which can ship soldiers and equipment quickly across the planet should be able to handle a simple humanitarian disaster in logistics sense. But it didn't. And Bush praised the douchebag in charge of FEMA.

America: "We want cheap oil and we want it now! 3/4 of us say that rising gas prices have caused financial hardship for our families. 83% of us say that gas prices have placed the country in a state of crisis or have caused major problems. The vast majority of us support offshore drilling. We want you to fix this NOW!"

LA/Oil Companies: "Ok, we'll do that"

*Things work well for a long time, Americans get cheap gas, everyone is happy*

*Oil leak*

America: "OH MY GOD HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO US?!?!? WE DIDN'T WANT THIS!! WHY WOULD YOU DRILL LIKE THIS? IT MUST BE BECAUSE YOU'RE SO GREEDY. YOU RUINED OUR COUNTRY AND ITS ALL YOUR FAULT!!!"

LA/Oil Companies: "wtf"

That may be how you think about this in New York City, but it isn't how we think about it in Florida:

Gov. Crist, Senate reject bill for oil drilling off Florida coast - St. Petersburg Times

Proposals to drill off the coast of Florida have been voted down for DECADES because of the risks. And, I've posted numerous threads on this board decrying our unhealthy addiction to oil. I would be perfectly happy if gas prices went above $5 or more a gallon, forcing Americans to begin to make necessary economic adjustments to our bad driving habits.

p.s. The biggest supporters of cheap oil? The republicans of course. DRILL BABY, DRILL.

Well, now, how's that working out for us? It's fine for you, but we're ****ed. Thanks alot. I can only hope that one positive that comes out of this is that the New Yorkers and Jersy****es go back north.

Last edited:
Since when was oil the only part of the economy of the Gulf Coast? Do you even READ YOUR POSTS before you respond?

With all your knowledge of life on the Gulf Coast, please, tell us what industries make up the lion's share of our economy. Can't wait to hear this.

That may be how you think about this in New York City, but it isn't how we think about it in Florida:

Gov. Crist, Senate reject bill for oil drilling off Florida coast - St. Petersburg Times

Proposals to drill off the coast of Florida have been voted down for DECADES because of the risks. And, I've posted numerous threads on this board decrying our unhealthy addiction to oil. I would be perfectly happy if gas prices went above $5 or more a gallon, forcing Americans to begin to make necessary economic adjustments to our bad driving habits.

p.s. The biggest supporters of cheap oil? The republicans of course. DRILL BABY, DRILL.

Well, now, how's that working out for us? It's fine for you, but we're ****ed. Thanks alot. I can only hope that one positive that comes out of this is that the New Yorkers and Jersy****es go back north.

You're opposed to drilling for the natural gas in the Deston Dome? One of the largest natural gas formations in the world.

obvious Child said:
A government which can ship soldiers and equipment quickly across the planet should be able to handle a simple humanitarian disaster in logistics sense.
Some want 'pay-back' so bad it clouds their judgment. I think most of the criticism of the handling of Katrina was the immediate aftermath. Of the need for rescue, food, water and shelter. The government, with the National Guard and Military was well equipped to respond to that type of assistance. The rebuilding, well that takes time no matter who you are.

Some want 'pay-back' so bad it clouds their judgment. I think most of the criticism of the handling of Katrina was the immediate aftermath. Of the need for rescue, food, water and shelter. The government, with the National Guard and Military was well equipped to respond to that type of assistance. The rebuilding, well that takes time no matter who you are.

Not to mention, New Orleans and it's surrounding suburbs were totally evacuated within 72 hours of landfall. Not bad, I don't care what anyone says.

I think like me the reason why a lot of people supported deep off shore oil drilling was because we were under the assumption that they could fix the leak in a timely manner. I could care less where they drill just as long as the can fix a leak in a timely manner. Until they can fix a leak like BP's in a timely manner it is not worth the risk.

I would think not wanting the gulf of Mexico and the coast line to turn into a cesspool and not wanting fishing and tourism industry killed would be a good enough reason for most people. Considering it will take decades for clean up, those oil rig workers will have a alternate long term employment option assuming the fishermen and others who lost their livelihood due to the oil leak ave not already taken those clean up jobs.

But it will ensure that another leak won't happen. What would happen if another massive oil leak or two happened?

Until oil leaks like BP's can be fixed in a timely manner then it is a good move to enact a moratorium.

What about the fishermen's jobs, what about the jobs of those who depend on tourist and others whose livelihood is threatened by the oil leak that will possibly take decades to clean up?

Nice to see that you agree.
I'm gonna give you a BIG THUMBS UP! You're the first Conservative I've seen actually see this situation on the moratorium as a "people" issue and not just a "oil industry" issue.

I'm all for continued drilling but only when these oil companies take safety of the waters, coastlines and the environment seriously and not just see things from their figures on a ledger. What this tragedy should show us is all it takes is for one oil deep water rig to screw up to cause widespread chaos for everyone across the board - fishermen, retail and restaurant businesses, tourism, fuel prices (they will go up), retirement pensions (BP's stock and drop by nearly 50% since this spill occurred), natural ocean habitates and sea life and wildlife, etc., etc....the list goes on and on and all because one oil producing company got greedy, careless and wreckless. And we won't even mention the 11 men who lost their lives and the others who were injured from this tragedy.

People who are crying about oil rig workers not working right now need to take a big step back and start seeing the BIGGER PICTURE here. More people are being affected by this event everyday in ways that go far beyond the Gulf Coast. Better wake up and recognize!

Last edited:
I think a good idea would be to allow drilling in wells that already have relief wells drilled and a fresh set of inspections performed. This way jobs won't be lost because they'll need the workers to dig the relief wells and it would be much safer to operate them there after.

That might not be a bad idea. I think both the President and the oil industry could go for that. I'd also go with donsutherland1's idea of allowing drilling for up to a year to allow an impartial review of spill containment and cleanup plans by these oil companies but only for those rigs that have relief wells already drilled. Any deepwater rig found not to be in compliance after the 12-month moratorium would be halted! It's a win-win on all sides. The oil company continues to produce, the government gets time to review safety procedures and the people could reasonable be spared another disaster like this one.

See...I may be more liberal leaning (Center-left), but I'm not unreasonable. :)

Last edited:
You're opposed to drilling for the natural gas in the Deston Dome? One of the largest natural gas formations in the world.

At this point in time? Hell yes, I am. And it's DESTIN. Ever been there? I have. Lots.

New Yorkers are 83% of the country? Interesting.

The fact is that the vast, vast majority of the country, republican and democrat, northerner and southerner, has been bitching and bitching for years over the fact that gas prices are too high and have been encouraging and authorizing additional exploration.

Proposals to drill off the coast of Florida have been voted down for DECADES because of the risks.

Yea, they expressed NIMBYism just like everyone else. That doesn't mean they were expressing their moral outrage against drilling in general or drilling elsewhere, they just didn't want it where they could see it.

And, I've posted numerous threads on this board decrying our unhealthy addiction to oil. I would be perfectly happy if gas prices went above $5 or more a gallon, forcing Americans to begin to make necessary economic adjustments to our bad driving habits.

And I completely agree with you, but you and I are in a very, very small minority.

:lol: Yea, it's all the republicans fault. The 75% of Americans who supported our Democratic president's proposal to expand offshore drilling are all just nasty Republicans.

Well, now, how's that working out for us? It's fine for you, but we're ****ed.

And that sucks and I'm sorry for it. I'm not remotely saying that anyone deserved this, I'm just pointing out that it's a bit ridiculous to say that it's just LA or the oil companies who are responsible for the fact that drilling occurred when it was the entire country that was begging for it.

Thanks alot. I can only hope that one positive that comes out of this is that the New Yorkers and Jersy****es go back north.

Too cold for them, their aged bodies need to be climate controlled.

The fact is that the vast, vast majority of the country, republican and democrat, northerner and southerner, has been bitching and bitching for years over the fact that gas prices are too high and have been encouraging and authorizing additional exploration.

I've never been one of them, so my bitching about it now is justified. I've always driven an economy car, I've never complained about gas prices. I understand our gas is heavily subsidized and costs far less at the pump than the actual cost in terms of our involvement in unstable overseas regimes and the environmental costs.

I think you'd find that there are plenty of people ON THIS BOARD who feel the same way.

Yea, they expressed NIMBYism just like everyone else. That doesn't mean they were expressing their moral outrage against drilling in general or drilling elsewhere, they just didn't want it where they could see it.

We didn't want it in their backyard, either, we just didn't have any say on it. We already understood that our backyard was THEIR backyard, and vice versa. On the gulf, it's all the same body of water.

And I completely agree with you, but you and I are in a very, very small minority.

I don't believe it's as small as you're portraying it.

:lol: Yea, it's all the republicans fault. The 75% of Americans who supported our Democratic president's proposal to expand offshore drilling are all just nasty Republicans.

Proud to be part of the 25%. And let's not be disingenuous. Obama was caving to pressure from the right and center. On this issue, I'm not among them. I don't consider gluttonous and nonsustainable use of petroleum to be a "conservative" behavior.

And that sucks and I'm sorry for it. I'm not remotely saying that anyone deserved this, I'm just pointing out that it's a bit ridiculous to say that it's just LA or the oil companies who are responsible for the fact that drilling occurred when it was the entire country that was begging for it.

If Florida wanted to take this risk, we'd have allowed drilling. Louisiana's economic decisions are having a massive impact on us.

Too cold for them, their aged bodies need to be climate controlled.

How about Mississippi? Can we send them there?

I've never been one of them, so my bitching about it now is justified. I've always driven an economy car, I've never complained about gas prices. I understand our gas is heavily subsidized and costs far less at the pump than the actual cost in terms of our involvement in unstable overseas regimes and the environmental costs.

I think you'd find that there are plenty of people ON THIS BOARD who feel the same way.

We didn't want it in their backyard, either, we just didn't have any say on it. We already understood that our backyard was THEIR backyard, and vice versa. On the gulf, it's all the same body of water.

I don't believe it's as small as you're portraying it.

Look at the numbers in the link. 83% of people said that gas prices were either a major problem or put the country in a state of crisis. 73% supported Obama's push to expand offshore drilling. Just 17% opposed it. You can try to excuse it by saying that he "caved to pressure from the right and center" but that just doesn't pass the smell test. This was something that the overwhelming majority of the country wanted.

If Florida wanted to take this risk, we'd have allowed drilling. Louisiana's economic decisions are having a massive impact on us.

From a poll released one day before the oil leak

Florida (FL) Poll * April 19, 2010 * McCollum Leads Tight Florida G - Quinnipiac University – Hamden, Connecticut

One Obama initiative popular with Floridians is his call for offshore oil drilling. Voters approve of offshore drilling in general 66 - 27 percent and approve drilling off the Florida coast 64 - 28 percent.

To say that it was only people in LA who wanted this is revisionism, plain and simple.

I'm gonna give you a BIG THUMBS UP! You're the first Conservative I've seen actually see this situation on the moratorium as a "people" issue and not just a "oil industry" issue.

I'm all for continued drilling but only when these oil companies take safety of the waters, coastlines and the environment seriously and not just see things from their figures on a ledger. What this tragedy should show us is all it takes is for one oil deep water rig to screw up to cause widespread chaos for everyone across the board - fishermen, retail and restaurant businesses, tourism, fuel prices (they will go up), retirement pensions (BP's stock and drop by nearly 50% since this spill occurred), natural ocean habitates and sea life and wildlife, etc., etc....the list goes on and on and all because one oil producing company got greedy, careless and wreckless. And we won't even mention the 11 men who lost their lives and the others who were injured from this tragedy.

People who are crying about oil rig workers not working right now need to take a big step back and start seeing the BIGGER PICTURE here. More people are being affected by this event everyday in ways that go far beyond the Gulf Coast. Better wake up and recognize!

You're not seriously suggesting that the moratorium is actually going to help people, are you?

With all your knowledge of life on the Gulf Coast, please, tell us what industries make up the lion's share of our economy. Can't wait to hear this.

How about you start coughing up some facts for a change? You, when asked, mos of us back up our claims. You cannot. What does that say?

And you are fallaciously changing the subject. At least you implicitly admit there's more then just oil. That's a huge change from your previous "Not oilmen or shippers, Fem!" attitude.

Back
Top Bottom