• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guitar questions

JC Callender

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Anyone know of a great electric guitar for under $500

Also, I'd like to plug my guitar into my computer as an amp (with headphones) and maybe even studio. Anyone know of any good programs for that?

Are you wanting to perform with this guitar? What about traveling like for work? One of my favorite guitars is a Traveler Speedster. It's $379, and can break into two pieces and fit into a really small carrying case that comes with it. I took it to afghanistan with me and it fit in my rucksack. (Though it's obviously not something you want to take on stage.)

It also sounds really, really good. I have a 1970 Les Paul and a BC Rich and I still find myself using the Traveler more around the house.

As far as connecting to the computer, I would go with a Line 6 product. Here's a pretty good one: Line 6 POD Studio GX with POD Farm | Musician's Friend I have a much older version simliar to this that works really well. Their software is also really good.

If you're looking for a hand held amp (for headphones) to use with a Traveler Speedster, I would recommend a Pocket Pod. REALLY awesome quality, and you can make your own presets either on the device or on an expanded view on the computer via USB, then upload your favorite settings. It will also fit in your Speedster case.

Anyway, Just my opinion. I'm a huge fan of Line 6. Hope this at least gets you in the right direction. (Be sure to shop around to find the best deal, Musicians Friend isn't always the best).

Also, I'd like to plug my guitar into my computer as an amp (with headphones) and maybe even studio. Anyone know of any good programs for that?

As a CGS (Certified Guitar Snob) I believe there are no great guitars for under $500, but there are some decent ones out there. Ibanez and Yamaha make some decent inexpensive electrics.

And I second RA's suggestion of the Line6 POD. You

As a CGS (Certified Guitar Snob) I believe that there are no great guitars for under $500, but you can certainly get a decent one for that price. Look at Yamaha and Ibanez. They make some decent inexpensive guitars.

I also 2nd RA's suggestion for Line6 Pod's. Yo could go even cheaper, and get something that only lets you play through your computer, but the Line6 product also has software you can use for recording. If you go that route, let me know and I'll find you some free software you can download which will let you record drums, bass, etc for backing tracks.

Hey thanks! I don't need to travel with it, but will check out the Speedster next time I'm at Guitar World if they have it. I owned a Line 6 amp before and really liked it. I was checking out the pocket pod the other day as an option and am glad to know that you think it sounds good. I'll check that out as well, as I originally wanted to use my Android to plug into, but they're not up to speed with Apple yet on the virtual guitar stuff. I really like the idea of the Studio GX though and that's the frontrunner. I assume that all I need is a guitar, computer, and this Line 6 POD and I can play and record with some quality effects.

Are you wanting to perform with this guitar? What about traveling like for work? One of my favorite guitars is a Traveler Speedster. It's $379, and can break into two pieces and fit into a really small carrying case that comes with it. I took it to afghanistan with me and it fit in my rucksack. (Though it's obviously not something you want to take on stage.)

It also sounds really, really good. I have a 1970 Les Paul and a BC Rich and I still find myself using the Traveler more around the house.

As far as connecting to the computer, I would go with a Line 6 product. Here's a pretty good one: Line 6 POD Studio GX with POD Farm | Musician's Friend I have a much older version simliar to this that works really well. Their software is also really good.

If you're looking for a hand held amp (for headphones) to use with a Traveler Speedster, I would recommend a Pocket Pod. REALLY awesome quality, and you can make your own presets either on the device or on an expanded view on the computer via USB, then upload your favorite settings. It will also fit in your Speedster case.

Anyway, Just my opinion. I'm a huge fan of Line 6. Hope this at least gets you in the right direction. (Be sure to shop around to find the best deal, Musicians Friend isn't always the best).

I assume that all I need is a guitar, computer, and this Line 6 POD and I can play and record with some quality effects.

Yes, you will be able to record, but you will be limited to 8 tracks. However, that can be worked around by "bouncing" tracks. If you don't understand, ask and I can explain.

I would be using it just for myself, and it looks like it would be $65 for the use of a quality studio. Not bad. Thanks for you suggestion!

Be aware that Reaper is just the software to record and mix and does not include the hardware needed to get your guitar sound in and out of the computer. I'm not saying that it's a bad choice (in fact, I believe it is far more functional than the Ableton Lite software that comes with the POD GX); It's just that with Reaper, you'll still need to also purchase a hardware interface

Thanks for the tips Sangha. Do you know anything about the Paul Reed Smith SE's? Some of them are around the $500 range and seem to play well and look really nice. And I may look you up for the backing track software as well....appreciate it!

As a CGS (Certified Guitar Snob) I believe that there are no great guitars for under $500, but you can certainly get a decent one for that price. Look at Yamaha and Ibanez. They make some decent inexpensive guitars.

I also 2nd RA's suggestion for Line6 Pod's. Yo could go even cheaper, and get something that only lets you play through your computer, but the Line6 product also has software you can use for recording. If you go that route, let me know and I'll find you some free software you can download which will let you record drums, bass, etc for backing tracks.

Any idea of a good hardware interface? I'm really new at using guitars with computers. :)

Be aware that Reaper is just the software to record and mix and does not include the hardware needed to get your guitar sound in and out of the computer. I'm not saying that it's a bad choice (in fact, I believe it is far more functional than the Ableton Lite software that comes with the POD GX); It's just that with Reaper, you'll still need to also purchase a hardware interface

Thanks for the tips Sangha. Do you know anything about the Paul Reed Smith SE's? Some of them are around the $500 range and seem to play well and look really nice. And I may look you up for the backing track software as well....appreciate it!

Haven't played an SE, but in general PRS's are excellent guitars. However, many quality producers exploit their reps and have lines that are not up to their normal standards. Play one and see how you like it. Pay attention to things like the quality of the workmanship and gear (tuning pegs, etc), intonation, and how it feels (neck width, fretboard, etc) and not just on how it sounds.

Eight tracks could keep me busy for a while, but good to know I have someone who can explain it to me if/when I'm ready to move past that.

Yes, you will be able to record, but you will be limited to 8 tracks. However, that can be worked around by "bouncing" tracks. If you don't understand, ask and I can explain.

Buy used - it's the best way to go to get a higher quality instrument for a lower cost. Some are only moderately used. They're gifts that someone doesn't keep, or they buy it - promising they'll learn - and a few years later they give it up. Shop around, ask questions about their refurbishing process and warranty. Some places restring / fix issues - and other sell them as-is.

Buy a used amp, too.

I bought a setup for my husband for under $500 - Squire bass (lightly used), Fender amp (new - mini), full ear headphones, cable and strap.

Oh - and hunt down a business that has a long history (meaning happy customers) and a wide variety. I don't go into the city for my stringed needs (guitar, bass, and violin) I head north to a small gown to go to Quattlebaum's. Sure, it's out of the way, but it's worth it. They specialize in a huge variety of instruments, someone's always on staff with an endless knowledge base for me to pick from, and after going their routinely they remember me. Their location is lower-rent, as well . . . and they've been around for decades. They're by far much more affordable than the higher-end stores in the city.

Last edited:
I've been searching Craigslist and there are some at Guitar Center, which is the big guitar shop around here, and haven't found anything that I'm all that interested in yet, but understand the logic and wouldn't mind owning one. Thanks for your advice. :)

Buy used - it's the best way to go to get a higher quality instrument for a lower cost. Some are only moderately used. They're gifts that someone doesn't keep, or they buy it - promising they'll learn - and a few years later they give it up. Shop around, ask questions about their refurbishing process and warranty. Some places restring / fix issues - and other sell them as-is.

Buy a used amp, too.

I bought a setup for my husband for under $500 - Squire bass (lightly used), Fender amp (new - mini), full ear headphones, cable and strap.

Also, hope you got some quality yard work out of him for that. :)

Buy a used amp, too.

Hey thanks! I don't need to travel with it, but will check out the Speedster next time I'm at Guitar World if they have it. I owned a Line 6 amp before and really liked it. I was checking out the pocket pod the other day as an option and am glad to know that you think it sounds good. I'll check that out as well, as I originally wanted to use my Android to plug into, but they're not up to speed with Apple yet on the virtual guitar stuff. I really like the idea of the Studio GX though and that's the frontrunner. I assume that all I need is a guitar, computer, and this Line 6 POD and I can play and record with some quality effects.

Screw Guitar World!

Try here... Savings Center - Elderly Instruments

I've been searching Craigslist and there are some at Guitar Center, which is the big guitar shop around here, and haven't found anything that I'm all that interested in yet, but understand the logic and wouldn't mind owning one. Thanks for your advice. :)

If I was in your area - I'd do a google search, visit the websites of all the stores - and go on a weekend sojourn. . . especially to these ones:

Guitar Pro is in Ferndale - they're a decent shop.
Huber-Breese is in that area, too - they have a large selection.
Motor City is in Waterford - they look promising.

At each place, shoot the breeze and have a chat - and have fun. If you don't buy you can at least expand your knowledge base. Some places have layaway and buyer's programs where you can get financing - and sell-back programs, as well.

Ooooh - nice. I'd go just to check out that Lloyd Loar. That's cool.

I bought the Ernie Ball Eddie Van Halen guitar the first year it came out from Huber-Breese on the installment plan when I was probably 19 years old. :) I'm in Northville now, so maybe I'll do this next weekend as these places are a considerable distance from me but probably worth visiting if I'm going to shell out hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for the great advice. :)

If I was in your area - I'd do a google search, visit the websites of all the stores - and go on a weekend sojourn. . . especially to these ones:

Guitar Pro is in Ferndale - they're a decent shop.
Huber-Breese is in that area, too - they have a large selection.
Motor City is in Waterford - they look promising.

At each place, shoot the breeze and have a chat - and have fun. If you don't buy you can at least expand your knowledge base. Some places have layaway and buyer's programs where you can get financing - and sell-back programs, as well.

I bought the Ernie Ball Eddie Van Halen guitar the first year it came out from Huber-Breese on the installment plan when I was probably 19 years old. :) I'm in Northville now, so maybe I'll do this next weekend as these places are a considerable distance from me but probably worth visiting if I'm going to shell out hundreds of dollars.

Thanks for the great advice. :)

Now I'm itching to find a reason to go to a music store and shop. LOL - ah yes, I always need sheet music! LOL

Do you play guitar as well? If so, acoustic or electric? And do you and your husband play together?

Now I'm itching to find a reason to go to a music store and shop. LOL - ah yes, I always need sheet music! LOL

Do you play guitar as well? If so, acoustic or electric? And do you and your husband play together?

Violin, electric and acoustic guitar - Self taught on the guitar. I favor soul, jazz, swing, and South American flavored pieces on the guitar. My husband's a metal, rock and rap fan.

Our son plays the drums and is Suzuki on the keyboard - so we goof around a lot. He has a synthesized setup - which is the best we could do considering we don't have room for a full set. One of these days I'll spring for him, buy him a kickass set. Then enclose the carport and turn it into a studio.

Violin huh...I love Alison Krauss, mainly for her voice but think she's a nice violinist as well. I like mainly rock and bluegrass myself. You and your family must have so much fun together with all of that music going on. :mrgreen:

Violin, electric and acoustic guitar - Self taught on the guitar. I favor soul, jazz, swing, and South American flavored pieces on the guitar. My husband's a metal, rock and rap fan.

Our son plays the drums and is Suzuki on the keyboard - so we goof around a lot. He has a synthesized setup - which is the best we could do considering we don't have room for a full set. One of these days I'll spring for him, buy him a kickass set. Then enclose the carport and turn it into a studio.

Violin huh...I love Alison Krauss, mainly for her voice but think she's a nice violinist as well. I like mainly rock and bluegrass myself. You and your family must have so much fun together with all of that music going on. :mrgreen:

LOL - we have a blast.

My parents felt music was essential - we always had a piano in the house, my sisters and my parents learned how to play. I also learned the saxophone, french horn, and other various wind instruments. My older sister played the flute but opted for dancing and became a cheerleader.

Back
Top Bottom