• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guinness ads for Nazi Germany

Threegoofs

Sophisticated man-about-town
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
The city Fox News viewers are afraid to travel to
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Amazing stuff.

Apparently, Guinness was planning on expanding sales into Germany, so had an ad campaign ready to go. It didnt ever launch.

But the pics now look a bit skeezy...

Guinness planned to advertise in Nazi Germany - and here are the posters

85a16150387f96a057b4b35f9fc065e8.jpg
1cf6f64e9720a41b47ebc7c9a045ff62.jpg

Der Fuhrer likes it - you must too!

Amazing stuff.

Apparently, Guinness was planning on expanding sales into Germany, so had an ad campaign ready to go. It didnt ever launch.

But the pics now look a bit skeezy...

Guinness planned to advertise in Nazi Germany - and here are the posters

85a16150387f96a057b4b35f9fc065e8.jpg
1cf6f64e9720a41b47ebc7c9a045ff62.jpg

Right.

And "Gilroy" was the artist.

Can't you tell a scam when you see one?

Gilroy is a take off on "Kilroy" who was an imaginary character as in "Kilroy was here!"

Secondly, I doubt very much the Fruit Loops penguin had been invented then, which these are clearly a copy.

I guess they didn't do a lot of market research back.

Guinness would never have sold well in Germany. Still doesn't.

Guinness in Ireland is much better than it is in the US or Canada. It's damned good. Murphy's is better. Beamish is best.

It is interesting to note that Ireland was virtually completely neutral during WWII.

Right.

And "Gilroy" was the artist.

Can't you tell a scam when you see one?

Gilroy is a take off on "Kilroy" who was an imaginary character as in "Kilroy was here!"

Secondly, I doubt very much the Fruit Loops penguin had been invented then, which these are clearly a copy.

The toucan (errr...not a penguin?) is a staple of Guinness advertising dating to the turn of the century.

And as far as John Gilroy..

John Gilroy (artist) - Wikipedia

Guinness in Ireland is much better than it is in the US or Canada. It's damned good. Murphy's is better. Beamish is best.

Murpheys is better than guiness, problem is around where I live guiness is all that is available except once in a blue moon. I can buy murpheys here if I drive to austin and buy it by the keg to make it worth the trip, but then I need a european style tap and nitrogen to make it the true experience .

Yeah, I've been to the brewery, it just melts into your tongue....mmmm

Yeah, I've been to the brewery, it just melts into your tongue....mmmm

:thumbs:

Me too. It is worth the time and money. The Guinness at the brewery is like nowhere else, as you might expect it would be. Plus you learn how to pour a perfect pint.

I don't know if there is a tour of the Murphy's brewery in Cork. I've never checked to see. In Cork my favorite pub is the Long Valley and I always get Beamish or Murphy's. You can't lose.

Back
Top Bottom