• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guilty Culinary Pleasures

soot

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
So... I've been pretty blessed in life and today I work from home and could easily afford to take a two hour lunch, swing in to Dallas, and meet my wife at Cafe Pacific or the Cap Grille, and eat like a king.

But two things:

1. Life hasn't always been this way.
2. I'm not leaving home for lunch and going anywhere.

Instead, I'm going to sit on my couch and have a nice big bowl of this:

Capture.JPG

Eating noodle ramen is a "habit" I picked up in the Army, 20-something years ago, because it was cheap and easy to cook.

First, I could always afford it, even on the $600 a month I was earning as a Private. Second, you could fix it in a hot pot at 0300 after coming back to the barracks after a long night of drinking, or you could always have a hot meal if training kept you out in the field after the dining facilities closed, or you could even cook it in the field in a steel canteen cup over a heat tablet.

Look, I'm not going to make any bones about it, ramen (at least the kind I love) is a thoroughly disgusting food product.

It's loaded with sodium, brimming over with saturated fat, has virtually no soluble fiber, is just a nutritional time bomb, and the taste isn't really all that great.

But love it or hate it I've got a taste for it that I just can't shake.

My wife won't allow it in the house so I have to hide it, like a dope addict scoring his fix.

If she finds it she'll throw it away so I keep a couple packages stashed out in the garage in the Tupperware in which I keep an old pair of neoprene waders.

So I went out to the garage today and raided my stash, as I will once every couple of months, went to the gas station and bought a bottle of Pepsi, and I'm going to feast on garbage today (and tell my wife I made a nice green salad and ate the leftover NY Strip seat we had for dinner last night).

And it got me wondering if any of you good people have have similar guilty pleasures when it comes to eating.

I know there has to be someone out there sneaking the Easy Cheese or binging on little jars of Vienna Sausage or making a meal out of Slim Jims and Cheese its.

You too, my friend, are a disgusting person, but I think we need to own it.

Last edited:
So... I've been pretty blessed in life and today I work from home and could easily afford to take a two hour lunch, swing in to Dallas, and meet my wife at Cafe Pacific or the Cap Grille, and eat like a king.

But two things:

1. Life hasn't always been this way.
2. I'm not leaving home for lunch and going anywhere.

<snip>

I know there has to be someone out there sneaking the Easy Cheese or binging on little jars of Vienna Sausage or making a meal out of Slim Jims and Cheese its.

You too, my friend, are a disgusting person, but I think we need to own it.
Good for you and your current station in life, soot! :thumbs:

And dayem, you've got self-control; I woulda' been out the door in a heartbeat to have lunch with my honey!

But I'm with you in the Ramen fold, and I'm happy to say we buy it by the case! Seriously!

My wife's Asian, we have tons of Asian stores around, and she buys it by the case from them. We've had as much as 3 cases of the stuff at a time. We gave it to my kid at the university by the case too, when she was in her dorm.

She buys the imported stuff that often has no or little English directions, and the measurements are in cc or litres. Inside, they often have little packets of stuff that's not in the Americanized brands: dried herbs, flavoring and hot oils, powdered hot chili, etc.

Here's the countries we usually get: Japanese, Korean, Thai, Viet.

There's also refrigerated packages of udon she gets that aren't dehydrated, but are already in a hydrated state in a vacumn sealed bag; these are usually Japanese or Korean.

You have brothers & sisters soot - my whole family! :mrgreen:

About once every few months or so I'll sneak in a box of these bad boys...

totinos-pizza-rolls-combination-56813.jpg

Deep fried and dip 'em in yellow mustard.:iloveyou:

Good for you and your current station in life, soot! :thumbs:

And dayem, you've got self-control; I woulda' been out the door in a heartbeat to have lunch with my honey!

But I'm with you in the Ramen fold, and I'm happy to say we buy it by the case! Seriously!

My wife's Asian, we have tons of Asian stores around, and she buys it by the case from them. We've had as much as 3 cases of the stuff at a time. We gave it to my kid at the university by the case too, when she was in her dorm.

She buys the imported stuff that often has no or little English directions, and the measurements are in cc or litres. Inside, they often have little packets of stuff that's not in the Americanized brands: dried herbs, flavoring and hot oils, powdered hot chili, etc.

Here's the countries we usually get: Japanese, Korean, Thai, Viet.

There's also refrigerated packages of udon she gets that aren't dehydrated, but are already in a hydrated state in a vacumn sealed bag; these are usually Japanese or Korean.

You have brothers & sisters soot - my whole family! :mrgreen:

You and the missus have it going on. I love to eat my way through Asia via noodles. Add a little this or that, and you have a well balanced meal.

Love the mineral water in the first pic, it is one of my guilty pleasures. Good water, carbonated. Perrier, regular, would be the top choice.
The other would be whipped cream in the can....open wide. :)

Reddi-Whip.png

View attachment 67201277

Never had them, but as they say "if in question, fry it".
Yellow mustard/frying, that reminds me that I haven't had corn dogs in ages.

Frozen "Extra Creamy" Cool Whip.

Eating noodle ramen is a "habit"
Sprinkling Ramen seasoning packets on microwave popcorn isn't bad (taste wise) either.

McDonalds. one of my favorite slip meals that i don't get too often.

Five-Guys-Burgers-and-Fries.jpg

Except forget all that veggie crap. Its a burger not a salad...

images

Whataburger-Signature-Sauce-Recipes-1.jpg

Last edited:
I save bacon grease so I can fry things in it later.

You can get those in Turkey?

Going back, again, to my time in the Army, I was stationed in Germany and they didn't have any American products on the store shelves, or very few anyway.

Granted, I'm comparing Turkey to Germany, and this was twenty odd years ago.

I have no doubt things have changed as globalization has progressed but I guess it surprises me never the less.

You can get those in Turkey?

Going back, again, to my time in the Army, I was stationed in Germany and they didn't have any American products on the store shelves, or very few anyway.

Granted, I'm comparing Turkey to Germany, and this was twenty odd years ago.

I have no doubt things have changed as globalization has progressed but I guess it surprises me never the less.

:roll: :mrgreen: ,it was funny yes,:lol:

McDonalds. one of my favorite slip meals that i don't get too often.
I allow myself about one of those "slip meals" a month.

Speaking of which... I'm way overdue for a Big Mack.;)

I love Ben and Jerry's ice cream, I have maybe 3 or 4 favorite flavors. I also love Peanut Butter Twix's. :mrgreen:

I try to make it a practice to not feel guilty about what I like, but one of the stranger things I like is beans and franks over toast. I doctor them up, for instance BBQ sauce, onions, horseradish and American Cheese is a classic, I started doing that when I was 7 YO.

View attachment 67201277

Now we're talking!

It's been years for me with these babies, but they were a staple in my house when we were kids growing up!

Gotta' give 'em another shot - only with hot mustard mixed from dried Coleman's!

Now we're talking!

It's been years for me with these babies, but they were a staple in my house when we were kids growing up!

Gotta' give 'em another shot - only with hot mustard mixed from dried Coleman's!

OK, but understand that the recipe has been cheapened a good deal over the years. A very disappointing product now for a guy like me who remembers with fondness how good this product used to be.

I allow myself about one of those "slip meals" a month.

Speaking of which... I'm way overdue for a Big Mack.;)

i just had a Daily Double and some McNuggets.

OK, but understand that the recipe has been cheapened a good deal over the years. A very disappointing product now for a guy like me who remembers with fondness how good this product used to be.
Blasphemy!!

Pizza rolls, deep fried, are STILL so freaking good that they have been known to bring grown men to tears! Do NOT diss the pizza roll!

(just don't eat them more than once a month or you could die from heard disease)

Yeah - and they're going to be missing Mom's love, as she popped them in the oven ... :(

Blasphemy!!

Pizza rolls, deep fried, are STILL so freaking good that they have been known to bring grown men to tears! Do NOT diss the pizza roll!

(just don't eat them more than once a month or you could die from heard disease)

At least you have enough sense to fry them.

+1 for you.

Blasphemy!!

You know, I wonder why no restaurants or chains have capitalized on the pizza-roll concept, like Panda Express or Sbarro?

I'd buy them!

Back
Top Bottom