• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guilty Culinary Pleasures

N...hot mustard mixed from dried Coleman's!

Do that all the time when the Chinese delivery doesn't serve anything but those little packets of faux mustard.

Peanut butter sandwiches (chunky of course)

Store bought vanilla frosting on bread.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

If you want a top culinary experience, attend a traditional Punjabi wedding in India catered by gourmet chefs.

Do that all the time when the Chinese delivery doesn't serve anything but those little packets of faux mustard.
Yep - the longer it rests, the hotter it gets!

If you want a top culinary experience, attend a traditional Punjabi wedding in India catered by gourmet chefs.
I've been to a Punjabi wedding in the states, so I could only imagine back in India!

And the swords and turbans were pretty damn wild!

I would hazard to guess that a traditional wedding catered by gourmet chefs would be a top culinary experience anywhere.

But this discussion isn't about gourmet chefs and top culinary experiences.

It's about all the somewhat disgusting things that people eat, usually because they came up poor, that stick with them despite the fact that they've moved in to polite society.

You must be familiar with some bottom-of-the-barrel Punjabi street food that would never be served at a gourmet wedding because it would be something people would be mortified to be served at a weeding, but is still something you secretly enjoy.

Think some Indian analog to fried bologna or candied Spam.

Something like that.

So... I've been pretty blessed in life and today I work from home and could easily afford to take a two hour lunch, swing in to Dallas, and meet my wife at Cafe Pacific or the Cap Grille, and eat like a king.

But two things:

1. Life hasn't always been this way.
2. I'm not leaving home for lunch and going anywhere.

Instead, I'm going to sit on my couch and have a nice big bowl of this:

View attachment 67201271

Eating noodle ramen is a "habit" I picked up in the Army, 20-something years ago, because it was cheap and easy to cook.

First, I could always afford it, even on the $600 a month I was earning as a Private. Second, you could fix it in a hot pot at 0300 after coming back to the barracks after a long night of drinking, or you could always have a hot meal if training kept you out in the field after the dining facilities closed, or you could even cook it in the field in a steel canteen cup over a heat tablet.

Look, I'm not going to make any bones about it, ramen (at least the kind I love) is a thoroughly disgusting food product.

It's loaded with sodium, brimming over with saturated fat, has virtually no soluble fiber, is just a nutritional time bomb, and the taste isn't really all that great.

But love it or hate it I've got a taste for it that I just can't shake.

My wife won't allow it in the house so I have to hide it, like a dope addict scoring his fix.

If she finds it she'll throw it away so I keep a couple packages stashed out in the garage in the Tupperware in which I keep an old pair of neoprene waders.

So I went out to the garage today and raided my stash, as I will once every couple of months, went to the gas station and bought a bottle of Pepsi, and I'm going to feast on garbage today (and tell my wife I made a nice green salad and ate the leftover NY Strip seat we had for dinner last night).

And it got me wondering if any of you good people have have similar guilty pleasures when it comes to eating.

I know there has to be someone out there sneaking the Easy Cheese or binging on little jars of Vienna Sausage or making a meal out of Slim Jims and Cheese its.

You too, my friend, are a disgusting person, but I think we need to own it.

Ramen is the ultimate food, but I ate more of it before the army than during. before the army I blew my money on pot and beer, and my budget was like less than 100 bucks a month for food. I would buy ramen by the crate, cans of chili, and some vegetables to mix in( whatever was affordable, often it was the discount packages of frozen mixed)

I would usually get the chicken flavor, cook it and season it, then add chili over it, and throw in some vegetables if in the budget, and top it with sliced cheese, I was eating like a dirt poor king! If I had good money leftover that month I would splurge and buy the ingredients for sheperds pie or make some hamburgers.

Cap'N Crunch. I grew up eating it. Sometimes, when my family is away, I will buy a box and eat it. I also realize it is disgusting, especially since I like it a little soggy, but it satisfies something in me. It would be able to sneak some on a more regular basis if my kids liked it, but they don't. :(

Cap'N Crunch. I grew up eating it. Sometimes, when my family is away, I will buy a box and eat it. I also realize it is disgusting, especially since I like it a little soggy, but it satisfies something in me. It would be able to sneak some on a more regular basis if my kids liked it, but they don't. :(

Along those lines when I was a kid I would take graham crackers and bust them up into the perfect size into a bowl, squeeze honey over the bits, pour milk over it, and eat. Starts out crunchy and is a disgusting mess about halfway in, which I liked. I think I was always too embarrassed to eat this around anyone.

Pizza hut and Pringles. Yes, they are crap. But yes, I still love 'em.

OCs2jcb.jpg
u1vevj4.jpg

Ramen is the ultimate food, but I ate more of it before the army than during. before the army I blew my money on pot and beer, and my budget was like less than 100 bucks a month for food. I would buy ramen by the crate, cans of chili, and some vegetables to mix in( whatever was affordable, often it was the discount packages of frozen mixed)

I would usually get the chicken flavor, cook it and season it, then add chili over it, and throw in some vegetables if in the budget, and top it with sliced cheese, I was eating like a dirt poor king! If I had good money leftover that month I would splurge and buy the ingredients for sheperds pie or make some hamburgers.

But do you still fix that disgustingly beautiful meal for yourself?

LOL

Good for you!

I used to LOVE Cap'N as a kid.

My wife came home with a box of it not to long ago because my kid wanted it.

I tried to sneak a bowl of it for lunch one day and Holy Mother of God that stuff is sweet.

I'm not afraid of eating some sugar but Good Lord, I could feel the enamel peeling off my teeth with every spoonful.

LOL

Good for you!

I used to LOVE Cap'N as a kid.

My wife came home with a box of it not to long ago because my kid wanted it.

I tried to sneak a bowl of it for lunch one day and Holy Mother of God that stuff is sweet.

I'm not afraid of eating some sugar but Good Lord, I could feel the enamel peeling off my teeth with every spoonful.
Thinking about cereal, I grew up on a dairy farm, my mother would pasteurize the milk we drank,
in a big pot, and then move it to the fridge.
The next morning there would be about a 2 inch layer of cream, on the top of the milk.
That cream on Raisin Brand, with sugar was amazing.
This is not like whole whipping cream, but more like the consistency of thick yogurt.:)

Thinking about cereal, I grew up on a dairy farm, my mother would pasteurize the milk we drank,
in a big pot, and then move it to the fridge.
The next morning there would be about a 2 inch layer of cream, on the top of the milk.
That cream on Raisin Brand, with sugar was amazing.
This is not like whole whipping cream, but more like the consistency of thick yogurt.:)

My mom grew up in Jersey City in the 1930s and I remember her telling stories of how she used to wake up early and sneak outside to catch the milkman delivering the milk.

She'd pop the bottle open and drink all that cream or whatever off the top and leave the skim milk for the rest of the family.

It must have been some good stuff from a, sadly, bygone age.

I would hazard to guess that a traditional wedding catered by gourmet chefs would be a top culinary experience anywhere.

But this discussion isn't about gourmet chefs and top culinary experiences.

It's about all the somewhat disgusting things that people eat, usually because they came up poor, that stick with them despite the fact that they've moved in to polite society.

You must be familiar with some bottom-of-the-barrel Punjabi street food that would never be served at a gourmet wedding because it would be something people would be mortified to be served at a weeding, but is still something you secretly enjoy.

Think some Indian analog to fried bologna or candied Spam.

Something like that.

I had vices similar to what other posters here have mentioned several years ago, but ONLY when I was much younger.

However, now that I have considerably more disposable $$ than when I was a kid, it's no longer necessary for me to pig out on cheap stuff. Very little, if any, childhood vices have stuck w/me--the pricey stuff is just BETTER.

I CAN and DO pig out on expensive steaks, pastas, traditional neapolitan pizzas, etc.

exactly

at five guys i get mine with fried onions, mushrooms, and a1 sauce

and we split the fries...the orders are huge
My brother and I go every other weekend or so and we also split the large fries. The order is JUGE! :D
I have honestly been getting burnt out on them lately though and we have indulged more on the Applebee's 2 for 25 steaks and red potatoes.
Now I'm hungry again. I need to avoid this thread.

My brother and I go every other weekend or so and we also split the large fries. The order is JUGE! :D
I have honestly been getting burnt out on them lately though and we have indulged more on the Applebee's 2 for 25 steaks and red potatoes.
Now I'm hungry again. I need to avoid this thread.

I still can't get enough of the 5G burgers. Extra jalapenos. Oh yeah, my mouth is watering too. What time is lunch?

my another guilty pleasure ,no taste without sauce and spice but because organic ones are more expensive !!

images

Peanut butter twix is my favorite but it has to be the one with the original cookie and not the chocolate kind.

Hmm, I didn't know they had that. I heard someone say they were making a Peanut Butter Twix pie...that sounds wonderful to me!!

big-az-lg-2.jpg

Healthier to eat the wrapper but Mmm Mmm GOOD!!!

But do you still fix that disgustingly beautiful meal for yourself?

No I make teh big bucks now, well big enough to expand to a non ramen diet, and without it being my day to day staple, I have found little need to modify it past the supplies seasoning packets.

Back
Top Bottom