• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guild Leader... on your CV

Jetboogieman

Somewhere in Babylon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
This is an idea I've often discussed with my fellow guildies on various games throughout the years, Love to hear your thoughts on this idea.

For anyone here who has been in a reasonably serious guild that raids, it's a logistical nightmare. You're organizing a bunch of people across an entire continent (sometimes the world) and getting them all on computers to do incredibly complicated things at the same time to defeat a virtual monster.

Guilds in a nutshell.

My question is, for the really really hardcore guilds out there, the amount of work, and effort, and planning that goes into these things, as a guild leader that is. Could someone in the future.... say like even 5 years from now, start putting "Guild Leader" On their Resumes...?

Crazy I know, but I don't actually think it's that far fetched an idea... :mrgreen:

You gotta have nerves of steel to be a Guild Leader lol, I'll tell you that. Gonna try it out for Star Wars the Old Republic when it comes out.

On the flip side. Anyone who spends that much time on a game, may not be paying full attention to their job.

If in the late 80s, for examples of complex strategy, you would've put "used double whistle in Super Mario Bros. 2 to get to world 8", your resume would've been put in the shredder.

I wouldnt. MMO's are still a boogeyman for a lot of the world and they may not exactly understand what running a guild entails and will be too weirded out to ask.

I know what you mean when you say it takes skill, I was part of a 120 man corp in EVE and the logistics that went into that operation were crazy. Made me glad I was just a miner :D

Eve being different than other MMO's, the reality is that leading raids is not that bad in most MMO's. Once you have the right people, it's just an issue of giving out the tactics for a fight. With Ventrilo/Teamspeak, even that is not too bad any more. Some of the earlier EQ1 raids with 72 + people and complex scrips(Rathe Council for example) could be a nightmare, but modern raiding not really.

Eve of course is a different animal, since Eve is both strategy and tactics and on a much larger scale, and PvP "raiding".

This is an idea I've often discussed with my fellow guildies on various games throughout the years, Love to hear your thoughts on this idea.

For anyone here who has been in a reasonably serious guild that raids, it's a logistical nightmare. You're organizing a bunch of people across an entire continent (sometimes the world) and getting them all on computers to do incredibly complicated things at the same time to defeat a virtual monster.

Guilds in a nutshell.

My question is, for the really really hardcore guilds out there, the amount of work, and effort, and planning that goes into these things, as a guild leader that is. Could someone in the future.... say like even 5 years from now, start putting "Guild Leader" On their Resumes...?

Crazy I know, but I don't actually think it's that far fetched an idea... :mrgreen:

You gotta have nerves of steel to be a Guild Leader lol, I'll tell you that. Gonna try it out for Star Wars the Old Republic when it comes out.

I've been a guild leader or lieutenant for some games, and I wouldn't put it on my resume.

There's two very BIG differences between a game guild and a job. People join a guild because they want to be there. People go to a job because they need to get paid.

Guilds have a lot of self-motivated people, so I think it's relatively easier to get them unified on a task. At jobs, however, there's a big possibility that you get stuck with someone who has no idea what they're doing and is just trying to get that paycheck and so probably aren't the easiest employee to work with. But you still have to work with them until they shape up or get fired.

I think being a guild leader can definitely help people develop practical leadership skills. However, I think mentioning it is something that may be better suited to mention it in an interview rather than put it on a resume.

Also, as I was writing this, I should mention a family member of mine got a promotion at her job because her boss knew she played D&D, and so had developed teamwork skills and creative thinking because of it.

Maybe if you're applying for a job in the video game industry? Otherwise probably not. In fact it might not even be a good idea in the video game industry.

Eve being different than other MMO's, the reality is that leading raids is not that bad in most MMO's. Once you have the right people, it's just an issue of giving out the tactics for a fight. With Ventrilo/Teamspeak, even that is not too bad any more. Some of the earlier EQ1 raids with 72 + people and complex scrips(Rathe Council for example) could be a nightmare, but modern raiding not really.

Eve of course is a different animal, since Eve is both strategy and tactics and on a much larger scale, and PvP "raiding".

I'm not sure how big your corp is/was or if you ever managed one but try organizing mining and production teams.
That is a thankless job in eve.

I ran an industrial corp for 2 years (we usually had about 50 active members) and it could be a nightmare at times

I'm not sure how big your corp is/was or if you ever managed one but try organizing mining and production teams.

I ran an industrial corp for 2 years (we usually had about 50 active members) and it could be a nightmare at times
Mining ops I was part of usually had one person whose entire JOB was to keep things in order.

I think I still have our old org chart.

Here we go :)

orgchart.jpg

Mining ops I was part of usually had one person whose entire JOB was to keep things in order.

orgchart.jpg

Back in the day when eve launched, we didn't have gang skill boosts or specialty mining ships.

The best mining vessels were the Apoc and Megathron, with named miner 1's.
It was basically a requirement that the CEO or Mining director have a hauler alt.

I came back, but quit again, have a sweet set up but have a hard time finding a corp that plays during my main times.
4 accounts 1 Orca, with 1 Hulk and 2 others on their way to Hulk as well.

Back in the day when eve launched, we didn't have gang skill boosts or specialty mining ships.

The best mining vessels were the Apoc and Megathron, with named miner 1's.
It was basically a requirement that the CEO or Mining director have a hauler alt.

I came back, but quit again, have a sweet set up but have a hard time finding a corp that plays during my main times.
4 accounts 1 Orca, with 1 Hulk and 2 others on their way to Hulk as well.
I came in A LOT later than that. When I first came in, Exhumers were brand new :D

I'm really excited to see where planetary interaction will go.

I came in A LOT later than that. When I first came in, Exhumers were brand new :D

I'm really excited to see where planetary interaction will go.

I picked up Eve on an off chance at MediaPlay, never played a subscription online game before that.
Even got to fight in the first corp tournament and lost very badly. :lol:

PI seems interesting, I think it will get a lot better when Dust is released.

I picked up Eve on an off chance at MediaPlay, never played a subscription online game before that.
Even got to fight in the first corp tournament and lost very badly. :lol:

PI seems interesting, I think it will get a lot better when Dust is released.
Dust is the only game that's made me reconsider my "no consoles" policy. It's an interesting prospect, but they need to SERIOUSLY consider releasing it on PC. Console gamers are generally less likely to play a game like EVE and Dust better be exceptional to unseat HALO as the favored console game.

Dust is the only game that's made me reconsider my "no consoles" policy. It's an interesting prospect, but they need to SERIOUSLY consider releasing it on PC. Console gamers are generally less likely to play a game like EVE and Dust better be exceptional to unseat HALO as the favored console game.

Totally agree, I don't want to buy a console just to play one game.
It seems really dumb to only release it for console.

That is why I said Eve was a different animal and that raiding is both strategic and tactical. Coordinating all the elements to be successful is strategy, running the actual fights tactical.

orgchart.jpg

That's crazy, you can't be serious... this is actually how you have to do things in Eve?

That's crazy, you can't be serious... this is actually how you have to do things in Eve?

NO, it is not. Eve offers pretty much total freedom to do whatever you want. The large alliances fighting for territory have a lot different requirements than a small corp just trying to make money.

When it comes to serious industrial corps, that is just part of the process.
Although if it's just a mining corp, that may be all.

When you get to conglomerate type corps, it can be more than that.

There is some article from harvard or something directly on leadership skills and warcraft. As in. Yes. If you have a forward thinking 1337 and real company that is in the loop, you could put it on your resume. I suggest guild ranking etc.

Some corps do run this way. Consider, that org chart was a rough outline for a mining operation consisting of about 100-150 people that required upwards of a week's advance planning. You HAVE to have this level of organization if you want to run groups of that size with any degree of efficiency. Otherwise it turns into a massive blob of people who dont really get anything done and it turns into a waste of time.

No one HAS to do this, I was part of the Survey Teams and then part of the Team Four mining teams, so my job was basically to follow the instructions given to me by the Section Leader. If I wanted, I could have moved up to Section Leader (Each team has it's own Section Leader that directed the individual miners in their Team) but I didnt want to have to deal with managing 15-20 people, I enjoyed just mining.

EVE is as involved as you want to make it.

There is some article from harvard or something directly on leadership skills and warcraft. As in. Yes. If you have a forward thinking 1337 and real company that is in the loop, you could put it on your resume. I suggest guild ranking etc.

Tell yourself whatever you want, I guess. You'll find out when you try to get a job.

Most people who are actually responsible for making a company run will wonder how much time you're going to be spending leading your guild instead of working. At the very least, they won't take you terribly seriously if you think it's anything like a real qualification for anything.

Back
Top Bottom