• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Guess who didn't vote for the covid relief bill?

bongsaway

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Not a single republican voted for it in the house, not a one. On the bright side they voted against it for their base. After all who wants the minimum wage raised?

Do y'all trump supporters and gop supporters in general get it yet? Your leadership voted against something most of the country wants and will help a good many in the gop base. Again I ask, what does the gop do for the average working american making under fifty grand a year which is one heckuva' lot of people in america? They don't want you to have a living wage, it will make their hamburgers go up to much they say. They don't want health care for you, it will hurt the private insurance companies they say. The only thing the gop seems to recognize is lower taxes, hating the dems and building a wall other than that, what does the gop offer the average american?

Standard operating procedures for Republicans. They will be in lock step to vote against everything the democrats propose. Nothing new here they did it for 8 years under Obama

That is why compromise by the democrats is so foolish. The Republicans will get you to compromise your agenda in the spirit of cooperation but in the end they will all vote against it.

The democrats need to take Joe Manchin out behind the woodshed

Kill the filibuster and get on with the plan.

If they don't then the republicans will drag it out and Bidens 2 year window will evaporate like Obama’s

Standard operating procedures for Republicans. They will be in lock step to vote against everything the democrats propose. Nothing new here they did it for 8 years under Obama

That is why compromise by the democrats is so foolish. The Republicans will get you to compromise your agenda in the spirit of cooperation but in the end they will all vote against it.

The democrats need to take Joe Manchin out behind the woodshed

Kill the filibuster and get on with the plan.

If they don't then the republicans will drag it out and Bidens 2 year window will evaporate like Obama’s
Hopefully the dems have wised up enough to not compromise with the R's. Do exactly what they would do if they had the power, push through whatever they wanted and let the dems cry in their beer. I think from the things biden has said he realizes the dems may very well have to do these things alone. The gop true to their colors have once again become the party of no.

Not a single republican voted for it in the house, not a one. On the bright side they voted against it for their base. After all who wants the minimum wage raised?

Do y'all trump supporters and gop supporters in general get it yet? Your leadership voted against something most of the country wants and will help a good many in the gop base. Again I ask, what does the gop do for the average working american making under fifty grand a year which is one heckuva' lot of people in america? They don't want you to have a living wage, it will make their hamburgers go up to much they say. They don't want health care for you, it will hurt the private insurance companies they say. The only thing the gop seems to recognize is lower taxes, hating the dems and building a wall other than that, what does the gop offer the average american?
GOP is not the party of the people. Obviously.

If they had not figured out a way to get the trailer trash to vote for them via racism, homophobia, GUNS!, lies about killing babies and empty promises re: trickle down economics while their real constituents cleaned up with obscene profit taking, they would be a minority party at best.

I'm glad someone is entertained enough by the Bread and Circus show presented by the Uniparty...even to the extent that you believe the show is real.

btw, what does the minimum wage have to do with COVID relief?

(Whoops!!! Sorry, my bad. I shouldn't be spoiling your fantasy world with injections of reality.)

Before some go off the rails attacking the stimulus bill as it has always been identified let's be real.

What is a stimulus bill? It is spending that supports the economy not just fights COVID 19 specifically. The neglectful irresponsible and negligent GOP response to covid 19 ripped the nations economy apart. Therefore is is absolutely the responsibility of the USA government to put the economy back together. Republicans screwed up in a monster fashion that is the bottom line.

Because Republicans screwed up in a monster fashion it put millions upon millions out of work
and hundreds of thousands of business people out of business. Yes this is a very large screw up coming from a political party known to some as the Republican Party but known to me as the anti american conservative fascist party of America. Yes they fu-ked up huge beyond belief.

This group in the last 42 years has never accepted responsibility for their giant economic screw ups.......... never.

Economic STIMULUS is about the entire economy not simply about providing vaccinations for all.

Conservatives are well known I mean very well known for PORK SPENDING beyond reality and providing legislation with such names a "Right To Work" which is about cutting wages and such.

Their spin about COVID 19 economic relief is nothing but bullshit ...... economic stimulus is about the entire economy.

Very few bills get passed that have 100% to do with their primary purpose in name only. Regardless of the sponsoring political party.

About 40% of the labor force makes on avg less than $15/hr. Simple COL, depending on where one lives, is typically a bit less that $15. Over the time period of the raise in MW to $15 the COL will then likely by above $15. Going to the $10/hr compromise covers about 30% of the labor force.

The wealthy and large corps got their pay raise with the Trump/GOP tax giveaway to those who had absolutely no need nor use for the economic well-being of the nation. The raise in MW will be spent back into the economy by people who actually need the money.

It's a Democrat bill, and to them the most important thing in all reality is being able to tell themselves that they "pwned a libtard"

I'm glad someone is entertained enough by the Bread and Circus show presented by the Uniparty...even to the extent that you believe the show is real.

btw, what does the minimum wage have to do with COVID relief?

(Whoops!!! Sorry, my bad. I shouldn't be spoiling your fantasy world with injections of reality.)

Right. The no votes aren't about a denial of covid relief. There is nearly unanimous consensus that relief is required. The objection to $1.9 trillion in spending is that so much of the spending has little to do with covid relief. For example, why should the government provide relief to 50 states when only 12 states require assistance to get their financial houses in order? Why provide financial assistance to museums and the arts in a covid relief bill? What, as you mentioned, does a minimum wage increase have to do with covid relief?

Further, this is borrowed money, and there is a limit to our borrowing whether we like it or not. If, for example, this administration is serious about infrastructure improvements, it will be a significant expense, and much of the funding for such an enterprise will have to be borrowed. The alternative, in part, is a sugnificant tax increase to fund such initiatives, and at present such an increase is hardly beneficial to individuals and businesses already suffering from covid.

Clearly, the contemplated increase in the minimum wage nationally is folly. The cost of living in NY is significantly different from that in Arkansas. A $15 minimum wage in NY doesn't put a person at the poverty line above water, and that same increase in Arkansas likelt puts a person in similar circumstances in Arkansas out of work, and the business under water.

So a "no" vote isn't prompted by a desire to see people suffer. It's prompted by the short-sighted approach the democrats have taken here.

It's pretty obvious you and "most of the country" don't know what's in that monstrosity.
Do you?
You made a big mistake (the salary cap) in your tiny post as soon as you tried talking about details.

a two tribal system probably can't work long term, because everything becomes us and them. i'd like to see a redesign, but the chances of that happening are vanishingly small. in my more optimistic moments, i tell myself that elections are still working for the most part, and there's a lot of inertia carrying us forward. when i'm pessimistic, i think about how it sucks to be part of a slow motion system failure that future historians will study and write about extensively as a cautionary tale.

What is a stimulus bill? It is spending that supports the economy not just fights COVID 19 specifically. The neglectful irresponsible and negligent GOP response to covid 19 ripped the nations economy apart. Therefore is is absolutely the responsibility of the USA government to put the economy back together. Republicans screwed up in a monster fashion that is the bottom line.

Because Republicans screwed up in a monster fashion it put millions upon millions out of work
and hundreds of thousands of business people out of business. Yes this is a very large screw up coming from a political party known to some as the Republican Party but known to me as the anti american conservative fascist party of America. Yes they fu-ked up huge beyond belief.

This group in the last 42 years has never accepted responsibility for their giant economic screw ups.......... never.

Economic STIMULUS is about the entire economy not simply about providing vaccinations for all

Face it so many of the projects receiving this stimulus money either support existing employment or will surely create respectable numbers of new employment = stimulating the economy.

COVID 19 Stimulus has always been about getting tax dollars into the economy as quickly as possible. To provide economic growth is many times better than preferential tax breaks
for the very few that never pay back ....... yet require tax dollars to pay for the expense of losing money in the overall picture = Supply Side Wreckanomics.

Is COVID 19 a smart title for this economic stimulus spending? No it is a bit deceiving. A much better title: Rehab Economic Spending for GOP Negligent Management of COVID 19 Deaths and Job Losses.

Last edited:
Hopefully the dems have wised up enough to not compromise with the R's. Do exactly what they would do if they had the power, push through whatever they wanted and let the dems cry in their beer. I think from the things biden has said he realizes the dems may very well have to do these things alone. The gop true to their colors have once again become the party of no.
Agree fully with the premise, but maybe the dems should vote 100% against themselves, and exactly as the republicans instead. Within one or two election cycles the government would be so screwed up (even more than it is now) that it would take a complete reset to fix. Such a disaster would finally hit home with the voters when they start to actually suffer (which is slowly and methodically happening now), but would accelerate the pace to quantifiable proportions.

If we take the Parties as they stand now in all their power and glory out of the picture, that would just leave the citizens (voters and non-voters alike) as the primary focus. Huh. That would be weird...

Right. The no votes aren't about a denial of covid relief. There is nearly unanimous consensus that relief is required. The objection to $1.9 trillion in spending is that so much of the spending has little to do with covid relief.

The economic provisions of the American Rescue Plan are incredibly popular. I for one am glad the GOP has registered their uniform opposition to these policies so there's no ambiguity later on (though nice try with the "their votes against COVID relief aren't really votes against COVID relief" thing).

They may think this "but what does keeping a roof over your head have to do with COVID?!" game is cute, but the American people don't seem to.

EtYmmbEXYAEuaZq

But of course the pandemic crisis is not just about vaccines or even containing the coronavirus, but a broader economic crisis spawned by mass unemployment and shuttered businesses.

The economic provisions of the American Rescue Plan are incredibly popular. I for one am glad the GOP has registered their uniform opposition to these policies so there's no ambiguity later on (though nice try with the "their votes against COVID relief aren't really votes against COVID relief" thing).

They may think this "but what does keeping a roof over your head have to do with COVID?!" game is cute, but the American people don't seem to.

EtYmmbEXYAEuaZq

The difference between popularity and responsible governance is apparently lost on you. I'm not surprised. Why, the government could decide to offer free ice cream for life, call it covid relief, and you'd ostensibly support it. After all, it's popular.

The difference between popularity and responsible governance is apparently lost on you.

Very few Americans count the GOP plan to do nothing in the face of twin economic and public health crises as "responsible governance."

How dare those unwoke racists not vote for the Marxists globalist payoffs. Future generations strapped with millions of dollars of debt per person will remember they could have owed more.

Very few Americans count the GOP plan to do nothing in the face of twin economic and public health crises as "responsible governance."

It's not an all or nothing proposition. When it comes to voting on bills, there is no "maybe, if..." vote category.

If I need a truck, just because I don't order a delux version doesn't mean I don't need a truck.

Back
Top Bottom