• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Groupthink of the Cosmopolitan Elite

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I believe that most people in my Twitter feed, left and right, don’t know many genuine Trump supporters, if any. I can count two, maybe three among my Facebook friends, and I went to high school in Oklahoma. It’s the exact problem I discussed back in January: There’s a cosmopolitan vs. traditionalist divide that runs through our politics, with cultural cosmopolitans running both parties.

The fact that Trump is so firmly positioning himself against those cosmopolitans, more so than any national politician since Ronald Reagan, makes it difficult to evaluate his campaign, and deprives us of the conversation we need, because for the first time in a long time, a major party candidate isn’t really trying to curry favor with opinion leaders.

None of this is to say that Trump will win. I would not at all be surprised if Trump implodes before autumn, or next week for that matter. Clinton really could bring home the Sanders voters, and the remaining NeverTrumpers could prove intransigent. President Obama’s popularity could continue to rise. Democrats will undoubtedly sharpen their attacks. All other things being equal, I still think there’s probably a 70 percent chance of Clinton winning.

But I will confess it is really difficult to sort out how much of this is a dispassionate analysis of the data.

None of the people who we rely on for information, the news media whether mainstream or alternative, politicians, pundits, or what have you, know any Trump supporters. They don't know them and don't know what they want. They don't know of the intensity with which hatred and resentment against them burns out there. That's why people might wake up on a certain day in November wondering what the frick happened, and it won't be anything they don't richly deserve for their hubris will have brought them low.

None of the people who we rely on for information, the news media whether mainstream or alternative, politicians, pundits, or what have you, know any Trump supporters.
Really? I wonder what those pro-Trump surrogates who constantly on the news channels are then.

Back
Top Bottom