• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims

MaggieD

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian MuslimsBy SHARON LEM, Toronto Sun

Last Updated: August 9, 2010 7:05pm
.Canadian Muslims say building a mosque at Ground Zero in Manhattan is like “rubbing salt in the wound.”

The Muslim Canadian Congress will be meeting with the group behind the mosque Tuesday in New York City to protest the plans to build near the site of the former Twin Towers.

The proposal to convert a former coat factory across the street from Ground Zero has caused an outburst of anti-Muslim feelings because the terrorists who killed about 3,000 people in the 9/11 attacks were of Muslim faith.

“It’s important for a Muslim voice from the Muslim faith to speak out and say it’s wrong to build a house of worship right across the street from the very site where people of part of the same faith killed New Yorkers,” said Raheel Raza, a member of the Muslim Canadian Congress.

“It’s not what I call tolerance.”

Imam Faisal Rauf, organizer of the Cordoba House Initiative, which is building the mosque, has said he hopes being in that location will build bridges and promote tolerance.

“My faith tells me to not create unrest between myself and my neighbours. This is not a bridge-building exercise — it’s doing the exact opposite of creating tolerance,” said Raza, who will be meeting with Rauf Tuesday.

“Many Muslims suspect the idea behind building the mosque at Ground Zero is meant to be a deliberate provocation to thumb our noses at the infidel. We believe the proposal has been made in bad faith and, in Islamic parlance, is creating ‘fitna’, meaning ‘mischief-making’, an act clearly forbidden in the Qur’an,” Raza said, adding there are already 30 mosques in New York City.

Funding is also a concern for the Muslim Canadian Congress, Raza said, noting the source has not been identified.

“If this mosque is being funded by Saudi sources, then it is an even bigger slap in the face of Americans as nine of the jihadis in the Twin Tower calamity were Saudis,” he said.

Why didn't this story make mainstream media in the U.S.? It should be on the front page of the NY Times. I've been waiting for other Muslims to speak out against building that mosque. Surely this is a worthy story. Why hasn't it been covered here?

Perhaps because it doesn't matter?

Ground Zero mosque bad idea: Canadian Muslims | Toronto & GTA | News | Toronto Sun

Why didn't this story make mainstream media in the U.S.? It should be on the front page of the NY Times. I've been waiting for other Muslims to speak out against building that mosque. Surely this is a worthy story. Why hasn't it been covered here?

Yes, but it's not right across the street.

I don't see what the big ****ing deal is here. There are churches and houses of worship all over the damned place, and mosques all over NY. What's one more? I think in the end, people are making a mountain out of a molehill. Is it insensitive? Maybe I guess if you're going that route. But that route is for hippies. It doesn't matter how insensitive it is. it's legal.

I don't see what the big ****ing deal is here. There are churches and houses of worship all over the damned place, and mosques all over NY. What's one more? I think in the end, people are making a mountain out of a molehill. Is it insensitive? Maybe I guess if you're going that route. But that route is for hippies. It doesn't matter how insensitive it is. it's legal.

What bothers me the most about this is that the people who want to build the Mosque talk about tolerance and understanding, yet they must be aware of the up roar of the general population in the US. about the location they have chosen and continue to talk about tolerance and understanding….. While ignoring the bad feelings they are engendering.

My feeling is, if they build there someone is going to re-enact 9/11 using the new Mosque as the target, and the builders of the Mosque will have reached their goal of inciting their followers to riot over the lack of tolerance and understanding of the American people.

:twocents:

Last edited:
Yes, but it's not right across the street. I don't see what the big ****ing deal is here. There are churches and houses of worship all over the damned place, and mosques all over NY. What's one more? I think in the end, people are making a mountain out of a molehill. Is it insensitive? Maybe I guess if you're going that route. But that route is for hippies. It doesn't matter how insensitive it is. it's legal.

Perhaps because it doesn't matter?

The point is that a Muslim organization itself has spoken up saying it's insensitive. How insensitive are you that you don't get that Muslims expressing sensitivity would make a difference to a whole lot of sensitive people? Say that ten times fast.

What bothers me the most about this is that the people who want to build the Mosque talk about tolerance and understanding, yet they must be aware of the up roar of the general population in the US. about the location they have chosen and continue to talk about tolerance and understanding….. While ignoring the bad feelings they are engendering.

My feeling is, if they build there someone is going to re-enact 9/11 using the new Mosque as the target, and the builders of the Mosque will have reached their goal of inciting their followers to riot over the lack of tolerance and understanding of the American people.:twocents:

I agree with you. I think, in the end, its being built will show that the American legal system works, that prejudice is not tolerated, even when emotions run hot. Good PR, so to speak.

I couldn't agree more. And it doesn't matter who says it is insensitive.

I couldn't agree more. And it doesn't matter who says it is insensitive.

I think most have missed the point I took from this article which is that a Muslim organization recognized it was indeed a sensitive issue -- which, no matter what position anyone takes, is the truth -- and they spoke up. After 9/11, mass media didn't share much about mainstream Muslim condemnation of those extremists, Here, we finally have a mainstream group expressing some support -- and it isn't being covered in the U.S.

No matter who says it's not insensitive, that's the same as telling someone, "Oh, you shouldn't feel like that." There's obviously (unless media is lying to us) much local opposition.

The point is that a Muslim organization itself has spoken up saying it's insensitive. How insensitive are you that you don't get that Muslims expressing sensitivity would make a difference to a whole lot of sensitive people? Say that ten times fast.

It doesn't matter if it's insensitive. It's not illegal to be insensitive.

What part of that do you not get?

Now, go sing kumbaya with some hippies somewhere until you calm down.

Last edited:
So what if it is a bad idea?

Just because something is a bad idea doesn't mean it's illegal.

You know, this whole controversy is exactly what the Taliban wants. Now they can point at us and say "See? We told you they hate us." Great recruiting tool; hey thanks for helping our enemies out here.

It doesn't matter if it's insensitive. It's not illegal to be insensitive.

What part of that do you not get?

Now, go sing kumbaya with some hippies somewhere until you calm down.

I posted this as a news release. To me, it meant something that a mainstream Muslim group spoke out acknowledging the insensitivity that NY'ers feel. If it didn't mean anything to you, so be it. Your post is a waste of bandwidth.

I posted this as a news release. To me, it meant something that a mainstream Muslim group spoke out acknowledging the insensitivity that NY'ers feel. If it didn't mean anything to you, so be it. Your post is a waste of bandwidth.

Irony: Why are those who are the most guilty of it never self-aware enough to realize it?

I think most have missed the point I took from this article which is that a Muslim organization recognized it was indeed a sensitive issue -- which, no matter what position anyone takes, is the truth -- and they spoke up. After 9/11, mass media didn't share much about mainstream Muslim condemnation of those extremists, Here, we finally have a mainstream group expressing some support -- and it isn't being covered in the U.S.

No matter who says it's not insensitive, that's the same as telling someone, "Oh, you shouldn't feel like that." There's obviously (unless media is lying to us) much local opposition.

It ain't just local.

Rasmussen Poll: 54% Oppose Mosque Near Ground Zero
Updated: Thursday, 22 Jul 2010, 5:06 PM EDT
Published : Thursday, 22 Jul 2010, 5:05 PM EDT

Just 20% of U.S. voters favor the building of an Islamic mosque near the Ground Zero site of the World Trade Center in New York City, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey.

Fifty-four percent (54%) oppose the planned building of a mosque near where Muslim terrorists brought down the skyscrapers by crashing commercial airliners into them on September 11, 2001. Three thousand people died in the incident and related attacks that day.

Rasmussen Poll: Most Oppose Mosque Near Ground Zero

My feeling is, if they build there someone is going to re-enact 9/11 using the new Mosque as the target, and the builders of the Mosque will have reached their goal of inciting their followers to riot over the lack of tolerance and understanding of the American people.

If we apply this logic in reverse, one can blame the US is to blame for 9/11.

Irony: Why are those who are the most guilty of it never self-aware enough to realize it?

Another waste of bandwidth. That post doesn't even make sense. Most guilty of what? And why are you so antagonistic about a press release? Why a personal attack on me? What's your problem? With me?

Another waste of bandwidth. That post doesn't even make sense. Most guilty of what? And why are you so antagonistic about a press release? Why a personal attack on me? What's your problem? With me?

Why is this all so upsetting to you? Do you live in Manhattan? Why is the crushing insensitivity of Muslims forcing you to bold random words and issue plaintive bleats on an internet forum?

I think what this article is illustrating is the fact that Muslims in the West fear another round of social persecution from those who will be upset by the new mosque. More than being concerned with offending New Yorkers, I would wager the real opposition in the Islamic faith comes from those who fear the building of the mosque will lead to an increasing of hostility towards Islam in the US as a whole.

The proposed location for the Mosque isn't even at Ground Zero....its three blocks away. Not to mention that the Pentagon, which many people forget was also a tragic target of 911 has a mosque inside for muslim worship, along with other areas for other religious services.

People are WAAAAAAAAAAY to sensitive over this issue.

Why is this all so upsetting to you? Do you live in Manhattan? Why is the crushing insensitivity of Muslims forcing you to bold random words and issue plaintive bleats on an internet forum?

I have no idea what you're talking about. Where do you read that I'm upset about anything? I don't even CARE if they build a mosque in NYC. WHy do you assume I do? I don't know what's the matter with you, but don't be takin' your bad day out on me. And if you don't like 'inflections' in posts, don't read mine. I use them all time. Don't worry, you won't hurt my feelings.

If you don't want to talk about the SUBJECT, which is wondering why mainstream media didn't print this story, go away. Orrrr, if you're going to derail the thread, don't make it all about me.

More than being concerned with offending New Yorkers, I would wager the real opposition in the Islamic faith comes from those who fear the building of the mosque will lead to an increasing of hostility towards Islam in the US as a whole.

That is one of the reasons why I oppose the Mosque :shrug:

how does one advance relations by being insensitive?

we know how obama answers that---those who don't see things his way need to be drug tested

so the president hears the angst of the overwhelming majority of americans and new yorkers, including half of big apple's dems

and he responds by picking mr rauf as his state dept's emissary to muslim donors abroad

characteristic bony finger direct in the eye of american sentiment

when are you gonna move ksm downtown, mr president, before or after the mosque?

when are you gonna meet with the leaders of iran, before or after gitmo closes, dadt ends?

before or after you reachout and change the world?

this mosque will never be built

because, fundamentally, you can't "improve west-muslim relations" by being crass

The proposed location for the Mosque isn't even at Ground Zero....its three blocks away. Not to mention that the Pentagon, which many people forget was also a tragic target of 911 has a mosque inside for muslim worship, along with other areas for other religious services.

People are WAAAAAAAAAAY to sensitive over this issue.

Of course people are being too sensitive and there is nothing wrong with the building of the mosque. But, do you think people would have taken kindly to the Japanese building a Shinto temple in Hawaii in the years following the bombing of Pearl Harbor?

I would wager the real opposition in the Islamic faith comes from those who fear the building of the mosque will lead to an increasing of hostility towards Islam in the US as a whole.

that's a very good point, this manifestation of thoughtlessness is actually worsening the relations cordoba says it wants to improve

If we apply this logic in reverse, one can blame the US is to blame for 9/11.

Which is exactly what the Iman of the proposed Mosque does.

From 2001 60 minutes interview.

Bradley: And throughout the Muslim world, there is also strong opposition to America's foreign policy, particularly in the Middle East because of its support of Israel and economic sanctions against Iraq.

Faisal: it is a reaction against the US government politically, where we espouse principles of democracy and human rights, and where we ally ourselves with oppressive regimes in many of these countries.

Bradley: Are you in any way suggesting that we in the United States deserved what happened?

Faisal: I wouldn't say that the United States deserved what happened, but united states policies were an accessory to the crime that happened.

Bradley: You say that we're an accessory? How?

Faisal: Because we have been accessory to a lot of innocent lives dying in the world. In fact, in the most direct sense, Osama bin Laden is made in the USA.

Prominent American Muslims denounce terror committed in the name of Islam

So there you have it..... we brought it on ourselves, and we made bin Laden.

these are 70% issues for obama's political opposition---cordoba, his lawsuit against the people of arizona, his other versus the drillers in the gulf, his mumblings about moving ksm, his mandate to buy health insurance...

but, hey, as always, washington knows best!

everyone else needs to pee in a cup

Back
Top Bottom